“Good value, towels on sun loungers at 5:30am is a problem though!!”
Review of Allegro Playacar

Allegro Playacar
Ranked #78 of 217 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I visited allegro playacar with my wife for 12 nights in April, we were really lucky to have had possibly the best room at the resort(5804). The room offered fantastic views of both the sea and the pool, a real plus was during the lunch time as there is not a lot of tables and chairs available, so we were able to eat on our balcony. That's 1 downside to the place, lack of vacant tables around the snack bar for lunch. The room itself was good, cleanliness was really good, amenities were good and beds were comfortable enough with a foam mattress topper. The downside to the room was a little tired bathroom, which could really need an upgrade. Also, not in all rooms but it was in ours, a conjoining door to the room next door, you could hear the conversations though the door, but this obviously depends on who is in the room!
The staff at the hotel were possibly the most friendly and diligent individuals I've ever been greeted/served by, from the gardener to the bar staff and house keeping, all were great. The entertainment staff were great with all patrons, I didn't personally get involved but they kept everyone entertained is a variety of languages. The food was good, from hamburgers, pizza or even the pasta station at lunch to the quiet impressive Italian restaurant. The Italian is the only place you can eat in an air conditioned environment, with fillet steak on the menu, it was a delight to eat there. The sports bar doesn't seem to get much of a mention on here, the only place to have a drink in air con, always quiet in there, and pool table is free to use. The show starts nightly at 9:30 for around an hour, then everyone seems to retreat to the pool bar for snacks. Not much nightlife here, but after helping yourself to all the brand name beverages all day, most are ready for bed anyhow. The worst thing about this resort is the towels on beds to reserve them, I woke at 5 am suffering from jet lag, when I looked outside, people were up reserving bed with towels, this is totally ridiculous as some people eventually venture down to their beds at 1pm, or even later on some occasions. Something really needs sorting regarding this, really leaves you with a bitter feeling about re-visiting the resort in future. Great resort, good value, lovely staff and good quality food. Just requires a bit of an upgrade with the bathrooms and possibly a warden/steward for the sun loungers, both on the beach and around the pool.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Andrew K
Write a ReviewReviews (5,618)

Reviewed May 4, 2013

We absolutely loved Allegro Playacar. We stayed in October of 2012. I writing this review because I am disgusted at some of the impolite, moronic comments on this heavenly place. Our thatched rooftop felt romantic and authentic. The staff were courteous and wonderful. The location in Playacar was close enough to walk to Playa Del Carmen on the cobbled stone streets, while watching wild iguanas zip along the ancient Mayan ruins.
We swam in the Caribbean teal blue sea under a perfect sky. We ate skirt steak, with spicy salsa. We enjoyed late night events by the volleyball nets with other guests from all over the world. We ate to our hearts content We drank to our heart's content. This is a perfect place for the pricing, the accommodations and for a trip to paradise.
Machel Penn Shull and Robin Shull

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank MachelS225
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Just back from a 2 week vacation during April, 2013. This was my 8th trip to an all-inclusive resort in Mexico so I considered my previous experiences in reviewing this resort. First off, the good. Food is excellent, many choices at every meal, lots of variety, well prepared and presented. We used 3 different bars during our stay and preferred the pool bar which stays open until 1 am. I was surprised by the variety of top shelf liquor that was included in our all-inclusive. Probably one of the best selections we've seen. Try the authentic mojitos which are made with great care. Have some Feeneys with your coffee, Cpt. Morgans and cola or Johnny Walker on ice.

The rooms are small, but better equipped than many resorts we have visited. Having a bathtub, face cloths, stocked fridge, coffee machine and coffee, iron, ironing board, detachable hand held shower head and lots of water pressure are often not available. The Allegro Playacar has them all. The room safe is large enough to lock up your laptop and cameras as well. Housekeeping were efficient and had enough command of english to understand and communicate with any needs or questions you may have. Because the rooms are small, the two beds are very close together and may not provide enough room for a group of 3 or 4 adults, but as I travel with a sister, it is fine. The beds already had foam toppers when we arrived and were comfortable enough. You can always ask for another topper if you have back issues. The table and two chairs, plus the hammock, made the patio a nice place to relax or hang out wet clothing.

Bugs. When I got home I killed a spider in my own home and I stepped on an ant on my deck. I did the same at the Allegro. I think I stepped on 3 ants on the patio and 1 bug in the room.

Entertainment. If you want to really enjoy this resort, or any resort, get to know the entertainment staff. The entertainment staff at this resort are top notch and the activities were enjoyable whether you were participating or spectating. Whenever you passed them around the resort, they had warm greetings and were able to converse in an amazing amount of languages. Between them you could communicate in english, french, italian, german, spanish, and probably many more than I didn't question them about.

Service. We did have issues with one of the servers at the dinner buffet, so we avoided his section. The majority were very accommodating and mindful of your preferences. Yes, we are tippers, but we tipped for good service only and did not tip for bad. Because we experienced a lot of great service, we did a lot of tipping.

Grounds. Because this resort is not large, it was not a day trip to get from one amenity to another. I appreciated how well it was laid out, the shops and green areas. All are well kept and there is always someone fixing and cleaning somewhere and they all greet you with a smile and hello. At one of the shops we were able to paint our own ceramics and then pick them up the next day after they had been "fired and cured".

Beach. The best beach ever for swimming, sunning or people watching. Very few beach vendors. The bar and washrooms are also close by. There was limited drink service on the beach, however because the bar is so close you never run dry. They have a large open shower area right where you exit the beach to rinse off the salt water and sand. There are two pools, a quiet one and one with music and swim up bar. Both are clean and in good repair. Beach volleyball is played twice a day and open to anyone of any skill.

The most disappointing part of this resort is the towel game. It is alive and well at this resort. If you want the shade of a palapa, you get up at 5:30 am and with a flashlight go down to the beach with your towels and "reserve" a spot. Then after breakfast or so, you go back to your towels and pray that they are still there. I fought this trend the first couple days but after a bad sunburn and arguments with other vacationers over where we could sit or not sit, we gave in. Our towels were stolen one day so it was an ordeal to get another towel card without paying the $50.00 each the resort requires. Many days I watched beach towels enjoying the cool shade of the palapas for 8 hours before anyone showed up to sit on them. Counting the number of people sitting on chairs vs. the number of undisturbed towels lounging around was a joke. This resort desperately needs a beach steward who can turn-over lounge chairs like you do a restaurant table. Someone may want to use them early in the day, and others later in the afternoon. With a beach steward this could happen. As it stands, the Allegro doesn't do anything about this situation. Going forward, when I choose another resort, I will only visit one with a beach steward or concierge. The Friendly Vallarta in PV has one and if the Allegro could fashion their beach service after the one they use, this would be a great little resort. As it stands, the relaxing beach experience is anything but. It becomes a greedy, aggressive, don't trust your neighbour atmosphere that can ruin your holiday.

This resort is very quiet after about 10pm, which may or may not be to your liking. I think that the evenings you want a relaxed quiet visit, it is perfect and on those nights you want to kick it up a notch, a short $7 cab ride takes you to 5th Avenue and great clubs. Ask the entertainment staff which clubs to visit, they have all the current information.

Any holiday has good and bad. I have no hesitation to return to Mexico, the Playa del Carmen area, or an all-inclusive, but until the towel game is addressed, I won't return to this one. If you don't go for the beach time, the rest of what this resort offers may be just what you want.

Room Tip: Room 4402 was set back from the main walkways but close to all the day time activities, buffet and b...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Laurel D
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Had a wonderful time at allegro Playacar. Service was top notch. Beautiful, large beach to relax on, could use a few more chairs at busy times. Rooms are good size & comfortable, we enjoyed the mini fridge with plenty of cold bottled water. The staff is very helpful & professional, could not ask for any better. Meals were very good, my only "drawback" was the lack of functional soda fountains early in the morning. I would stay here again, great bargain, location, & beautiful.

• Stayed: April 2013
6  Thank Rebecca P
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Found the service to be great at this resort. People at the front desk were awesome. The staff worked hard to get things done and keep the customers happy. At the restaurants, plates and glasses were picked up quickly, and refills on whatever we were drinking (coffee/wine/water) were done in a timely matter.

The beach is really nice and clean at this resort, as well as the 2 pools, but it was usually hard to find chairs on the beach or by the pools. The lunch restaurants are located right by the pool area, so you don’t have to leave the pool area in the afternoon to eat, which means you get to enjoy the pool area even more. The restaurants by the pool are a buffet, a grill, and a pizzeria.
The swim up bar had lots of staff and offered a large selection. Every day there was a “Drink of the Day”, I recommend Dark Angels or Mandarin Sours!!!! Yummy

Night Life at this resort was basically a show at 9:30pm and then a Disco/Bar.
The show usually involved a lot of audience interaction, which is alright if you like that sort of thing. The disco/bar, located right beside the show area was usually pretty empty. By the way, for all the reviews that said they couldn’t find STRAWS, they are located in the disco/bar. Unfortunately we didn’t find them to the last night LOL
So right after dinner this place becomes a ghost town, and by 9pm you don’t see many people anywhere, not even at the bar. After the show there is absolutely nothing happening. This is great for people like me who are early risers. This is also great if you like doing excursions and have to get up in the morning.

The rooms are really cool, which each villa containing 8 rooms, 4 on the upper and 4 on the main floor. Fridges were kept stocked, and rooms were cleaned very well.
We were in room 2411, and our A/C worked so good, that we had to turn it down or turn the ceiling fan off at night because we got cold!!! This room is located in the middle which made it close to everything, the lobby, disco, pool, snack bars, buffets all about the same distance.
Washrooms could use some updating as well. The beds are very firm, so ask for a foam mattress at the front desk if there isn’t one already on your bed. We didn’t like paying extra for a safe ($2/day) which is really a necessity and should be included with the room. We had problems with the safe the first couple of nights, and they fixed it promptly, but a couple of digits on the pad could not be used, or an error message would come up. So those safes need updating as well. We thought our fridge didn’t work since everything in it would warm on the first day, but we realized that it was turned down to #1, so we cranked it up to #5 (max) and everything got really cold after that.

Wifi coverage on the resort was really well, and i couldn’t find a place where I couldn’t use it. I used it in the lobby, by the pool, in my room with no problems. It does cost $50/ week, so a little pricey, but thought it was better than phone cards. I could use skype, email, and facebook to keep in touch with family back home.

Overall I would recommend this resort to family and friends, and I would definitely go back.
We met some wonderful people from Collingwood , Mississauga, St. Catharines, and from the USA that were all awesome.

Tip: Small cans of Corona Extra can be found in the lobby usually late morning/ early afternoon.

Adios!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank justin s
Reviewed April 29, 2013

The rooms are in need of some upgrading and sadly our airconditioning did not work after several attempts to fix it, but we survived. The staff here is fantastic and friendly, made one feel at home. The food was amazing once again. I was travelling with my grown daughter and we had a great vacation wether at the pool or beach, the staff kept us entertained. There are a few slippery smooth spots on the walk ways so you must be careful. But this property should not be overlooked as it's minor faults are well made up by the family feeling of this smaller resort and it is on one of the best beaches in Playacar. The one thing I would suggest would be to included the wifi as it is $50 per week, or you could walk up the road to starbucks and enjoy a beverage and use thiers, but it was 37 degrees when we were there so we did not go much. The presentators as I call them are friendly and not overly pushy, friendly bunch really. I will stay there again.

Room Tip: I enjoy the rooms closest to the pools and beach, but that is me. I would ask not to be put near l...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Carrie R
Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

accomodating, nice rooms, great service. Food was awesome. Would go back. Great value for the money. activity staff had a ton of energy and were friendly. Shopping not far, $7. Cab fare. Other plaza only ten mins away. Ovc staff were excellent. Not a big resort which makes getting around easy.

• Stayed: April 2013