“The good and the not so good.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Allegro Playacar

Allegro Playacar
Ranked #90 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Okanagan, BC
“The good and the not so good.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

Just back from a 2 week vacation during April, 2013. This was my 8th trip to an all-inclusive resort in Mexico so I considered my previous experiences in reviewing this resort. First off, the good. Food is excellent, many choices at every meal, lots of variety, well prepared and presented. We used 3 different bars during our stay and preferred the pool bar which stays open until 1 am. I was surprised by the variety of top shelf liquor that was included in our all-inclusive. Probably one of the best selections we've seen. Try the authentic mojitos which are made with great care. Have some Feeneys with your coffee, Cpt. Morgans and cola or Johnny Walker on ice.

The rooms are small, but better equipped than many resorts we have visited. Having a bathtub, face cloths, stocked fridge, coffee machine and coffee, iron, ironing board, detachable hand held shower head and lots of water pressure are often not available. The Allegro Playacar has them all. The room safe is large enough to lock up your laptop and cameras as well. Housekeeping were efficient and had enough command of english to understand and communicate with any needs or questions you may have. Because the rooms are small, the two beds are very close together and may not provide enough room for a group of 3 or 4 adults, but as I travel with a sister, it is fine. The beds already had foam toppers when we arrived and were comfortable enough. You can always ask for another topper if you have back issues. The table and two chairs, plus the hammock, made the patio a nice place to relax or hang out wet clothing.

Bugs. When I got home I killed a spider in my own home and I stepped on an ant on my deck. I did the same at the Allegro. I think I stepped on 3 ants on the patio and 1 bug in the room.

Entertainment. If you want to really enjoy this resort, or any resort, get to know the entertainment staff. The entertainment staff at this resort are top notch and the activities were enjoyable whether you were participating or spectating. Whenever you passed them around the resort, they had warm greetings and were able to converse in an amazing amount of languages. Between them you could communicate in english, french, italian, german, spanish, and probably many more than I didn't question them about.

Service. We did have issues with one of the servers at the dinner buffet, so we avoided his section. The majority were very accommodating and mindful of your preferences. Yes, we are tippers, but we tipped for good service only and did not tip for bad. Because we experienced a lot of great service, we did a lot of tipping.

Grounds. Because this resort is not large, it was not a day trip to get from one amenity to another. I appreciated how well it was laid out, the shops and green areas. All are well kept and there is always someone fixing and cleaning somewhere and they all greet you with a smile and hello. At one of the shops we were able to paint our own ceramics and then pick them up the next day after they had been "fired and cured".

Beach. The best beach ever for swimming, sunning or people watching. Very few beach vendors. The bar and washrooms are also close by. There was limited drink service on the beach, however because the bar is so close you never run dry. They have a large open shower area right where you exit the beach to rinse off the salt water and sand. There are two pools, a quiet one and one with music and swim up bar. Both are clean and in good repair. Beach volleyball is played twice a day and open to anyone of any skill.

The most disappointing part of this resort is the towel game. It is alive and well at this resort. If you want the shade of a palapa, you get up at 5:30 am and with a flashlight go down to the beach with your towels and "reserve" a spot. Then after breakfast or so, you go back to your towels and pray that they are still there. I fought this trend the first couple days but after a bad sunburn and arguments with other vacationers over where we could sit or not sit, we gave in. Our towels were stolen one day so it was an ordeal to get another towel card without paying the $50.00 each the resort requires. Many days I watched beach towels enjoying the cool shade of the palapas for 8 hours before anyone showed up to sit on them. Counting the number of people sitting on chairs vs. the number of undisturbed towels lounging around was a joke. This resort desperately needs a beach steward who can turn-over lounge chairs like you do a restaurant table. Someone may want to use them early in the day, and others later in the afternoon. With a beach steward this could happen. As it stands, the Allegro doesn't do anything about this situation. Going forward, when I choose another resort, I will only visit one with a beach steward or concierge. The Friendly Vallarta in PV has one and if the Allegro could fashion their beach service after the one they use, this would be a great little resort. As it stands, the relaxing beach experience is anything but. It becomes a greedy, aggressive, don't trust your neighbour atmosphere that can ruin your holiday.

This resort is very quiet after about 10pm, which may or may not be to your liking. I think that the evenings you want a relaxed quiet visit, it is perfect and on those nights you want to kick it up a notch, a short $7 cab ride takes you to 5th Avenue and great clubs. Ask the entertainment staff which clubs to visit, they have all the current information.

Any holiday has good and bad. I have no hesitation to return to Mexico, the Playa del Carmen area, or an all-inclusive, but until the towel game is addressed, I won't return to this one. If you don't go for the beach time, the rest of what this resort offers may be just what you want.

Room Tip: Room 4402 was set back from the main walkways but close to all the day time activities, buffet and b...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Laurel D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (683)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Saint Peters, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

Had a wonderful time at allegro Playacar. Service was top notch. Beautiful, large beach to relax on, could use a few more chairs at busy times. Rooms are good size & comfortable, we enjoyed the mini fridge with plenty of cold bottled water. The staff is very helpful & professional, could not ask for any better. Meals were very good, my only "drawback" was the lack of functional soda fountains early in the morning. I would stay here again, great bargain, location, & beautiful.

• Stayed April 2013
6 Thank Rebecca P
St. Catharines, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

Found the service to be great at this resort. People at the front desk were awesome. The staff worked hard to get things done and keep the customers happy. At the restaurants, plates and glasses were picked up quickly, and refills on whatever we were drinking (coffee/wine/water) were done in a timely matter.

The beach is really nice and clean at this resort, as well as the 2 pools, but it was usually hard to find chairs on the beach or by the pools. The lunch restaurants are located right by the pool area, so you don’t have to leave the pool area in the afternoon to eat, which means you get to enjoy the pool area even more. The restaurants by the pool are a buffet, a grill, and a pizzeria.
The swim up bar had lots of staff and offered a large selection. Every day there was a “Drink of the Day”, I recommend Dark Angels or Mandarin Sours!!!! Yummy

Night Life at this resort was basically a show at 9:30pm and then a Disco/Bar.
The show usually involved a lot of audience interaction, which is alright if you like that sort of thing. The disco/bar, located right beside the show area was usually pretty empty. By the way, for all the reviews that said they couldn’t find STRAWS, they are located in the disco/bar. Unfortunately we didn’t find them to the last night LOL
So right after dinner this place becomes a ghost town, and by 9pm you don’t see many people anywhere, not even at the bar. After the show there is absolutely nothing happening. This is great for people like me who are early risers. This is also great if you like doing excursions and have to get up in the morning.

The rooms are really cool, which each villa containing 8 rooms, 4 on the upper and 4 on the main floor. Fridges were kept stocked, and rooms were cleaned very well.
We were in room 2411, and our A/C worked so good, that we had to turn it down or turn the ceiling fan off at night because we got cold!!! This room is located in the middle which made it close to everything, the lobby, disco, pool, snack bars, buffets all about the same distance.
Washrooms could use some updating as well. The beds are very firm, so ask for a foam mattress at the front desk if there isn’t one already on your bed. We didn’t like paying extra for a safe ($2/day) which is really a necessity and should be included with the room. We had problems with the safe the first couple of nights, and they fixed it promptly, but a couple of digits on the pad could not be used, or an error message would come up. So those safes need updating as well. We thought our fridge didn’t work since everything in it would warm on the first day, but we realized that it was turned down to #1, so we cranked it up to #5 (max) and everything got really cold after that.

Wifi coverage on the resort was really well, and i couldn’t find a place where I couldn’t use it. I used it in the lobby, by the pool, in my room with no problems. It does cost $50/ week, so a little pricey, but thought it was better than phone cards. I could use skype, email, and facebook to keep in touch with family back home.

Overall I would recommend this resort to family and friends, and I would definitely go back.
We met some wonderful people from Collingwood , Mississauga, St. Catharines, and from the USA that were all awesome.

Tip: Small cans of Corona Extra can be found in the lobby usually late morning/ early afternoon.

Adios!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank justin s
Salmon Arm, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

The rooms are in need of some upgrading and sadly our airconditioning did not work after several attempts to fix it, but we survived. The staff here is fantastic and friendly, made one feel at home. The food was amazing once again. I was travelling with my grown daughter and we had a great vacation wether at the pool or beach, the staff kept us entertained. There are a few slippery smooth spots on the walk ways so you must be careful. But this property should not be overlooked as it's minor faults are well made up by the family feeling of this smaller resort and it is on one of the best beaches in Playacar. The one thing I would suggest would be to included the wifi as it is $50 per week, or you could walk up the road to starbucks and enjoy a beverage and use thiers, but it was 37 degrees when we were there so we did not go much. The presentators as I call them are friendly and not overly pushy, friendly bunch really. I will stay there again.

Room Tip: I enjoy the rooms closest to the pools and beach, but that is me. I would ask not to be put near l...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Carrie R
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

accomodating, nice rooms, great service. Food was awesome. Would go back. Great value for the money. activity staff had a ton of energy and were friendly. Shopping not far, $7. Cab fare. Other plaza only ten mins away. Ovc staff were excellent. Not a big resort which makes getting around easy.

• Stayed April 2013
5 Thank Dancersmother
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

Have just returned from a week at Allegro with my sister. The 250 staff at this resort were wonderful. We arrived on Friday at 11am and the check in time was 3pm. We were told it was almost ready it would be about 1 hour, and thats how long it took. The food was wonderful, im a very picky eater and i found something to eat every day without a problem. Ivan, Sergio, Elvis and Brenda are the entertainment staff that stick out there great. Yvonne greated us at the desk. We went to the social meeting and meat Erica and staff and the chef. It was great. The beaches activities, grounds and the pool were looked after all day and evening. The weather was just another plus to this resort.It is a small resort but wonderfully run. We met a lot of great people there from new hampsire, St «Catherines etc it is always good to meet other guests on a small resort. We stayed in room 4212 which was an upper room, it rained for 2 hours and not 1 drop in the room.We were upgraded to the First «Club which was a nice surprise.Im not sure who took care of our room but everyday there was a different towel arrangement and they were all beautiful. The room was spotlessley cleaned each day. Thank you Allegro for a unforgettable vacation. I will return again. All the staff there are amazing. This hotel should be rated higher.

Room Tip: try and get the room 4212 it is a close to the pools.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Patricia M
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

My boyfriend and I spent a week at this resort. About a week prior to arriving I emailed the resort as suggested by many reviews and requested a top floor, ocean view room with a king size bed and noted that we were celebrating our anniversary. Erika Padilla emailed me back within 24 hours saying she would do her best to accommodate us.
During check in Erika came over to introduce herself- I thought this was a nice personal touch. She said she would have to put us in block 42 for that night as the hotel was fully booked but the next morning we would be moved to 56. I said that was fine. Our room in 42 was on the ground floor and nothing special and no view of anything. It was very close to the pool though. If we ended up in this room for the whole week it would have been fine but you can't compare it to our room the next day. We were moved to room 5614 the next day. I think this is the BEST room you can get without being in the vacation club. It was on the second floor with a king bed, right next to the pool and had a gorgeous ocean view. We couldn't have asked for anything better. Both rooms we were in did not have very good air conditioning but we kept the fan on all the time and were never uncomfortable. The rooms aren't fancy but I knew what to expect and I found nothing wrong with them. I loved the thatch roof- it was never too noisy and we never heard our neighbors. The light in our bathroom went out one morning, we went to the lobby to let them know and within 15 minutes there was someone at our room to fix it. Lucy was our maid for the week and she did a great job and always smiled and said hola whenever I would see her. We also had a plate of fruit in our room upon arrival and on our last night they brought us chocolate covered strawberries. Also, I did request a mattress topper in my email to Erika as a lot of the reviews said the mattress was too hard. There was one in both rooms we had and I slept perfectly fine- no complaints.

I almost got tricked into sitting with the vacation club reps but since I had read so many reviews I realized what was going on so I wanted to make sure to include it in my own. When we arrived in the lobby a rep came over and handed us drinks. I noticed by his shirt that his name was William but did not notice that it said Vacation Club underneath. He made small talk with us as we waited to be checked in. When it was our turn to check in he told us to come see him when we were done and he wanted to give us info about the hotel. After check in I started walking over to him and saw we were gong to the vacation club desk and immediately realized what was going on. I told him were weren't interested in the vacation club and he replied with "Who told you this was about a vacation club". I felt like this was very deceptive and rubbed me the wrong way. After a few minutes of being very firm in telling him we were NOT interested we walked away. The desk is conveniently located where you have to pass it if you're going to or from the lobby or to the main buffet so we had him asking what are plans were every day. It didn't bother us too much but I wanted to include this so other people can avoid getting sucked in to their scam.

The beach needs more beach chairs. There are palapas but they're all taken by about 7 in the morning so you need to get up early to claim your chairs which I think happens at most resorts. This resort definitely has the biggest beach area on this strip though. Both pools were nice, the activity pool has a small area where you can swim up to the bar. The pool bar is where the lunch buffet is. This also turns into the Mexican Restaurant at night. The Hamburger Bar and Pizza Bar are also right in this area. The quiet pool is directly behind this and it is surprising how quiet it is considering there's always music playing only a few feet away at the other pool.

The food was nothing special but it definitely wasn't bad either. I'm a very picky eater too. I ate French toast for breakfast every morning as I'm not really a breakfast person. There is always pasta at the lunch buffet which I was happy about and the pizza and hamburgers were good too. They also cook steak chicken and fish on the grill by the hamburger bar.

There really is no night life. They have a show in the theater every night at 9:30. We caught a few of them and they were good. We went to the 'disco' one night after the show at about 10:30. There was no one in there and no music playing. There is one pool table and a tiny dance floor. The 'disco' opens at 10 so maybe later on it gets busier but we never went back. A few nights before the show we sat at the lobby bar and were served by Ivan. He was great, very friendly and served us a lot of delicious shots! The pool bar supposedly closes at 10 also but I think as long as there are people there getting drinks they stay open.

Overall I would definitely recommend this resort. The price was right and that's why we booked here. Don't expect a 5 star when you're paying for a 3 star and you shouldn't be disappointed. If you want to make room requests email Erika, I am so glad I did.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank leese19
OccidentalVC, Community Manager for Occidental Vacation Club at Allegro Playacar, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Leese19,

We are glad to hear to enjoyed the time you spent in Allegro Playacar. Our Club has been in the industry for 18 years and today we serve more than 24,000 families who put their vacation plans in our hand. As a Vacation Club, we offer a vacation experience like no other, tailored to your lifestyle. We are proud of our product, and our members can speak on our behalf.

We are very sorry if you felt uneasy around our staff and we apologize for the inconveniences this may have caused you.

Best regards,

Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
#37 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,211 reviews

Been to Allegro Playacar? Share your experiences!