“once again not disapointed”
Review of Allegro Playacar

Allegro Playacar
Ranked #88 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Salmon Arm, Canada
“once again not disapointed”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

The rooms are in need of some upgrading and sadly our airconditioning did not work after several attempts to fix it, but we survived. The staff here is fantastic and friendly, made one feel at home. The food was amazing once again. I was travelling with my grown daughter and we had a great vacation wether at the pool or beach, the staff kept us entertained. There are a few slippery smooth spots on the walk ways so you must be careful. But this property should not be overlooked as it's minor faults are well made up by the family feeling of this smaller resort and it is on one of the best beaches in Playacar. The one thing I would suggest would be to included the wifi as it is $50 per week, or you could walk up the road to starbucks and enjoy a beverage and use thiers, but it was 37 degrees when we were there so we did not go much. The presentators as I call them are friendly and not overly pushy, friendly bunch really. I will stay there again.

Room Tip: I enjoy the rooms closest to the pools and beach, but that is me. I would ask not to be put near l...
4 Thank Carrie R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (700)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

accomodating, nice rooms, great service. Food was awesome. Would go back. Great value for the money. activity staff had a ton of energy and were friendly. Shopping not far, $7. Cab fare. Other plaza only ten mins away. Ovc staff were excellent. Not a big resort which makes getting around easy.

• Stayed April 2013
5 Thank Dancersmother
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Have just returned from a week at Allegro with my sister. The 250 staff at this resort were wonderful. We arrived on Friday at 11am and the check in time was 3pm. We were told it was almost ready it would be about 1 hour, and thats how long it took. The food was wonderful, im a very picky eater and i found something to eat every day without a problem. Ivan, Sergio, Elvis and Brenda are the entertainment staff that stick out there great. Yvonne greated us at the desk. We went to the social meeting and meat Erica and staff and the chef. It was great. The beaches activities, grounds and the pool were looked after all day and evening. The weather was just another plus to this resort.It is a small resort but wonderfully run. We met a lot of great people there from new hampsire, St «Catherines etc it is always good to meet other guests on a small resort. We stayed in room 4212 which was an upper room, it rained for 2 hours and not 1 drop in the room.We were upgraded to the First «Club which was a nice surprise.Im not sure who took care of our room but everyday there was a different towel arrangement and they were all beautiful. The room was spotlessley cleaned each day. Thank you Allegro for a unforgettable vacation. I will return again. All the staff there are amazing. This hotel should be rated higher.

Room Tip: try and get the room 4212 it is a close to the pools.
4 Thank Patricia M
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 27, 2013

My boyfriend and I spent a week at this resort. About a week prior to arriving I emailed the resort as suggested by many reviews and requested a top floor, ocean view room with a king size bed and noted that we were celebrating our anniversary. Erika Padilla emailed me back within 24 hours saying she would do her best to accommodate us.
During check in Erika came over to introduce herself- I thought this was a nice personal touch. She said she would have to put us in block 42 for that night as the hotel was fully booked but the next morning we would be moved to 56. I said that was fine. Our room in 42 was on the ground floor and nothing special and no view of anything. It was very close to the pool though. If we ended up in this room for the whole week it would have been fine but you can't compare it to our room the next day. We were moved to room 5614 the next day. I think this is the BEST room you can get without being in the vacation club. It was on the second floor with a king bed, right next to the pool and had a gorgeous ocean view. We couldn't have asked for anything better. Both rooms we were in did not have very good air conditioning but we kept the fan on all the time and were never uncomfortable. The rooms aren't fancy but I knew what to expect and I found nothing wrong with them. I loved the thatch roof- it was never too noisy and we never heard our neighbors. The light in our bathroom went out one morning, we went to the lobby to let them know and within 15 minutes there was someone at our room to fix it. Lucy was our maid for the week and she did a great job and always smiled and said hola whenever I would see her. We also had a plate of fruit in our room upon arrival and on our last night they brought us chocolate covered strawberries. Also, I did request a mattress topper in my email to Erika as a lot of the reviews said the mattress was too hard. There was one in both rooms we had and I slept perfectly fine- no complaints.

I almost got tricked into sitting with the vacation club reps but since I had read so many reviews I realized what was going on so I wanted to make sure to include it in my own. When we arrived in the lobby a rep came over and handed us drinks. I noticed by his shirt that his name was William but did not notice that it said Vacation Club underneath. He made small talk with us as we waited to be checked in. When it was our turn to check in he told us to come see him when we were done and he wanted to give us info about the hotel. After check in I started walking over to him and saw we were gong to the vacation club desk and immediately realized what was going on. I told him were weren't interested in the vacation club and he replied with "Who told you this was about a vacation club". I felt like this was very deceptive and rubbed me the wrong way. After a few minutes of being very firm in telling him we were NOT interested we walked away. The desk is conveniently located where you have to pass it if you're going to or from the lobby or to the main buffet so we had him asking what are plans were every day. It didn't bother us too much but I wanted to include this so other people can avoid getting sucked in to their scam.

The beach needs more beach chairs. There are palapas but they're all taken by about 7 in the morning so you need to get up early to claim your chairs which I think happens at most resorts. This resort definitely has the biggest beach area on this strip though. Both pools were nice, the activity pool has a small area where you can swim up to the bar. The pool bar is where the lunch buffet is. This also turns into the Mexican Restaurant at night. The Hamburger Bar and Pizza Bar are also right in this area. The quiet pool is directly behind this and it is surprising how quiet it is considering there's always music playing only a few feet away at the other pool.

The food was nothing special but it definitely wasn't bad either. I'm a very picky eater too. I ate French toast for breakfast every morning as I'm not really a breakfast person. There is always pasta at the lunch buffet which I was happy about and the pizza and hamburgers were good too. They also cook steak chicken and fish on the grill by the hamburger bar.

There really is no night life. They have a show in the theater every night at 9:30. We caught a few of them and they were good. We went to the 'disco' one night after the show at about 10:30. There was no one in there and no music playing. There is one pool table and a tiny dance floor. The 'disco' opens at 10 so maybe later on it gets busier but we never went back. A few nights before the show we sat at the lobby bar and were served by Ivan. He was great, very friendly and served us a lot of delicious shots! The pool bar supposedly closes at 10 also but I think as long as there are people there getting drinks they stay open.

Overall I would definitely recommend this resort. The price was right and that's why we booked here. Don't expect a 5 star when you're paying for a 3 star and you shouldn't be disappointed. If you want to make room requests email Erika, I am so glad I did.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank leese19
OccidentalVC, Community Manager for Occidental Vacation Club at Allegro Playacar, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Leese19,

We are glad to hear to enjoyed the time you spent in Allegro Playacar. Our Club has been in the industry for 18 years and today we serve more than 24,000 families who put their vacation plans in our hand. As a Vacation Club, we offer a vacation experience like no other, tailored to your lifestyle. We are proud of our product, and our members can speak on our behalf.

We are very sorry if you felt uneasy around our staff and we apologize for the inconveniences this may have caused you.

Best regards,

Ignaura Tejeda Solimán
Community Manager and Social Media Coordinario
New Hampshire
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We just returned from a wonderful week in paradise. We traveled with a group of 10 people and Erika did a wonderful job with our rooms. My husband and I had one of the best rooms on the resort it was right on the beach :), we enjoyed sitting out on the porch in the evening and listening to the ocean. The hotel is one of the older and smaller ones but we feel that it adds to the more personalized service. The entire staff at the resort is exceptional and it really does make our vacation so enjoyable when you are treated like family. We have to give a shout out to Victor who took such good care of us at breakfast and at the pool bar, he truly is WONDERFUL!!
Also Nestor at the pool bar thanks for making any and all drinks that we asked for!! Thelma our housekeeper who made us the towel art all week and took such good care of our room. And finally Erika thanks for all you did for us and the wonderful accommodations we truly appreciated it!! To the entire staff at the Allegro thanks from NH for sharing your beautiful coast with us, we had a great week :)

Room Tip: 5801 ocean front
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank pendale
south coast england
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Have just spent a week in this gorgeous little resort. Was very unsure what to expect after reading some mixed reviews before we got there, but was more than pleasantly surprised with the place. As mentioned in previous reviews, the rooms are small and could do with being updated, however they are spotlessly clean. The beds are firm, which is fine by me and the bathrooms are small, but adequate. Toiletries are provided, there is hairdryer on the wall and clean towels are plentiful. The rooms are cleaned meticulously every day and bedding and towels changed daily too. Nice little touches everyday with different towel animals. The rooms desperately need a bit more wardrobe and drawer space, probably just about ok for 2, but we had our 17 year old son with us, and there is definitely not enough storage space for 3 people and we are very light travellers. Location of the hotel is fantastic, right on the most beautiful white sand beach. Our room was 5803, which was just a few steps away from the beach, pool and pool bar. The polo bar closes at 10pm so never any real late night noise.......just the soothing sound of the waves breaking onto the beach. The food in the buffet, grill and both mexican and italian restaurants was very good. Always plenty of choice in the buffet and breakfast is exceptionally good. Yes occasionally they ran out of plates or bowls, but they were always quick to replace them once they realised, so having to wait a couple of minutes was no problem.....after all you're on holiday, there is no rush to be somewhere....although to listen to one particular very rude, arrogant loud whinging american guest, you would have thought this was crime of the century! Every single member of staff here are cheerful, friendly helpful and extremely hardworking. The grounds, the pool, the beach and any communal areas as well as the rooms are immaculately cleaned. My biggest gripe is the guys that keep trying to get you to go on the timeshare (even tho they say it isn't timeshare) We actually did end up going to see what they were trying to sell and went for lunch at the Occidental Xcaret........yes it's much much bigger, and have got some amazing rooms (it is a much newer property) but the food in the restaurant, was exactly the same quality as the Allegro Playacar. If I had wanted such a big place I would have booked that in the first place, so c'mon get rid of these timeshare hasslers and let people enjoy there time at the amazing little resort that you have got here. The other thing is, even after we had been on the timeshare visit, they didn't remember we had already been and continued to ask us every time we passed by!!! My only other very small gripe is that they don't have any straws for the drinks, and as most of them are made with slushy ice it is hard to drink them without a straw. The drinks aren't premium quality and the house wine is pretty rank, but other than that, this is a fab place and one that I would definitley recommend and would happily return to again.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms closer to the beach as up near reception is also where nightly entertainment is, so ca...
4 Thank honey13339
Guernsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Great location and gardens but thats as far as it goes. Rooms awful, no nice bar areas,awful old plastic drinking cups no straws, buffet restaurants never enough plates,bowls food and service poor.Public toilet areas within the hotel yuck!!! Will be going back to the good old Riu group next time.

4 Thank buddy666_13
OAllegroP, Assistant Manager at Allegro Playacar, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Dear buddy666_13

I´m sorry to hear that your vacation did not meet your standards, as our goal is to provide all guests with an incredible experience and it appears we feel short on this during your stay.

In regards to your room, I would like to mention that our maintenance and housekeeping staff work diligently to make sure our rooms are in good working order.

I'm sorry to hear that our bars did not meet your expectations. For our guest´s security we do have plastic glasses in our bars. I’ve reviewed your feedback with our food and beverage manager and executive chef as they are always looking to improve our services.

Our public toilets are constantly supervised by our staff which make sure to clean them during the day, however I shared your comment with our housekeeping manager as we take all feedback to heart.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write this review. I do hope that you will give us a second chance.

Allegro Playacar
Hotel Riu Palace Riviera Maya
#39 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,337 reviews
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort &...
#10 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,503 reviews

Been to Allegro Playacar? Share your experiences!