“Absolutely the best holiday! (6th time to Mexico)”
Review of Allegro Playacar

Allegro Playacar
Ranked #88 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
“Absolutely the best holiday! (6th time to Mexico)”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I frequent Mexico often and this was one of my favorite stays! You cannot beat the beach and the food was amazing!
Although the rooms are a tad small they are very clean and comfortable :)
We stayed in the 1500's ground level. I would reccomend this as your right in the middle of everything, the pool, restaurant, bar and beach!
It was everything we could of asked for and more for the price!
It is located in Playa car a gated community so very safe to leave the resort and walk 5 min down to the outside shopping center! They have a Starbucks there as well with free wifi!
Anyone who complains about this resort is a spoiled baby with bad taste.
When we were on the beach passersbyers would ask the name of the resort as it has a very authentic mexican look and spectacular beach.
We had a very friendly pelican that would visit us on the beach daily and let us take pictures next to it :)
Anyhoo, I will most definitely be back!

Also make sure you tip these people!! We were treated extra special and had no complaints, but we are tippers! People who dont tip may not receive the same level of services.
Also make sure you "Like" their facebook page before you arrive, you get a special (different color than the rest) bracelet and that also might contribute to the exceptional service!!!

Room Tip: Room: ground level in the 1500's, right in the middle of everything ground level room s have bet...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
10 Thank Jessica R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (711)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Cancun, Mexico
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We stayed in room 5404 From Oct 2 thru Oct 9/2012. This was a ground floor unitdirectly across from the pool and close to the beach. The room weas clean, though a bit dated.The ac worked well and the maid service was excellant. The food is a little above average.The service is great.The entertainment leaves a little to be desired.

The beach is possibly the best in Playa. Snorkeling isn't the rewarding, but you are so close to the city that you can find your own entertainment if you want to leave the resort.

Overall, a great deal for the money

Room Tip: Definately ask for the matress topper. The bed are hard, but great with the topper.
4 Thank marshall1243
Essex
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I stayed here on 2 occasions and I had some of my best memories here too!

I travelled with my family just the 3 of us and found people that moan about the little things are petty! I tipped my maid just 5USD every 3 nights or so on our 2 week stay and every day I came back to the room I was greeted with cleanliness to a very high strandard Towel animals Like Crocodiles & Swans decorated with rose petals absolutley amazing!

The food was not that bad I enjoyed what I ate and there was a huge variety even my fussy child who seems to only eat chicken was eating well every night.

Entertainment staff got to really know you and made the Holiday that much more enjoyable the evening shows were good they had a circuis show on thursdays which blew me away and no it is not the west end do not be expecting world class peformances there job was to entertain and that is exactly what they done no questions asked.

The pool was cleaned every morning and if ever I had a complaint my rep or the hotel managers dealt with them without hesitation activites are fun to do throughout the day but sometimes I just wanted to relax round the pool with my earphones in.

Great Location just a short walk to 5th Avenue where you will find shops to cater all your needs!

Well done Allegro I shall see you next time round.

Room Tip: People do offer you time shares that seems to drag on a bit but just by going on there little tour a...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank louedge45
STX
Reviewed October 20, 2012

This place is classic. It's an older Mexican beach hotel. The size is great its great for families and adults, not exciting enough for 20s something crowd. We had a 2nd floor room close to the beach. Seems like the oceanview rooms are timeshare. They are aggressive about the timeshare is you want them/ let them be, but a polite no (twice) will end it quickly.

We thought the food was good & rate was good enough that we felt good about eating a few awesome meals in Playa del Carmen. It's a nice walk or a quick, easy taxi ride. The hotel could use a lobby bar downstairs & keep the kids out of the pool with the swim up bar. The resort is set up with a beautiful pool that is great for families & a nice pool with a bar. Lunch options are around the pools. They have a great variety including a pizza bar area, burger grill area & buffet with a good variety. Seating either around the pool or in a dining area. Also, had a wifi/ coffee area, which was nice, but hardly used - might have better use as a smoothie bar (or something beachy.) Dinner reservations were easy to make any time before 3pm for the same evening. Two nice restaurants and a really good buffet with different theme nights.

The thatched roof did leak when it rained hard, but it was brief and oddly enough kind of charming (and we had some crazy weather when we were there.) It was totally fine. The rooms are also small and dated, but quaint with a great hammock on every front porch.

There are guests from all over the world & most importantly.... GREAT BEACH!

I have traveled a lot in Mexico and the Caribbean and stayed at a large range of hotels. I would definitely stay at the Allegro Playacar again & recommend it to my value minded friends who like a more small scale, low-key feel.

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank LaurieMSTX
Indianola, Iowa
Reviewed October 19, 2012

The hotel,resturants,workers,and grounds were absolutly beautiful, just need a little updating in the rooms or should I say need new roofs so when it rains in the middle of the night you don't wake-up in a puddle of water, other then that it was awsome, I will definatally go back!

Room Tip: if it's rainy season you def want lower level
6 Thank Ruth P
Reviewed October 17, 2012 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for our first trip to Mexico and we had an amazing stay the staff were friendly and lively at breakfast every morning. Down point was that u had 2 pay for wifi at the hotel but u don't go in holiday to use your phone and Internet. Everything was perfect from entertainment food the grounds. Great value for money and the beach is amazing

• Stayed October 2012
4 Thank samie29
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Holiday started on the wrong foot, when they tried to put us in a courtesy room which stunk of dampness, and did not even have a bathtub. Room 1204 by the way !!!
We stuck to our guns and eventually got what we paid for. Fantastic location on the beach, and only a short walk from the local shops.
The staff are very friendly and try their best, although the reception staff could do with a bit more training in tact.
Food is fantastic, with a wide choice every night. Did not make much of the Italian Restaurant.
Entertainment is a bit of a disaster, but then this did not surprise me. After all we were there for sun and sea, not a West end show. We made our own entertainment and met some really nice people.
Overall decent value for the money paid, but make sure they dont give you any old room.
A lot of people changed their rooms whilst we were there.
By the way, cleaners fantastic and Manager Miguel very professional.

Room Tip: Pay for Superior Premium and make sure you get it.
6 Thank Nigel B
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Hotel Riu Lupita
Hotel Riu Lupita
#80 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Allegro Playacar? Share your experiences!