“Fun stroll for the easy-going person” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of 5th Avenue (Avenida 5)

5th Avenue (Avenida 5)
Book In Advance
More Info
$98.99*
and up
Native's Park ATV Adventure in Playa del Carmen Including Cenote Swim
More attraction details
Owner description: Busy street lined with all kinds of shops, art and crafts galleries, cafes, restaurants and bars.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Houston, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Fun stroll for the easy-going person”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

If you are into shopping, bartering for the best price, don't mind being haggled by shop employees, and can deal with some animals used for tourism attractions...then by all means drop by 5th Avenue. While it may not be for everyone, if you come with an open mind and some street sense you'll have a fun time. While we did not do much shopping or eating on 5th Avenue, there's a bit of everything for everyone! Tons of shops which sell mostly the same things at different prices and tons of eateries.

Tips:
*The closer to the port / ferry you get the higher the prices in the stores.
*Barter - you'll get a better deal.
*Expect shop employees to flirt or haggle with you...it's all about getting you into the shops! Don't get offended.
*They will see your resort bracelets and say that they were your waiter the day before...they weren't. Don't fall for it.
*Wear comfortable shoes and sunblock if you plan to walk the entire avenue!

3 Thank Seeomara

• Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Amherst, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“don't buy jewellery”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

I visited a place called LUNA JEWELLERY on 5th avenue on march 10 2013 and was sold a bracelet that the salesman told me was 14carat gold and carribean topaz. He told me the price was $1000.00 US and I was sold the bracelet for $700.00US I left the store only to look in a different light to see it didn't look right. I went to two other jewellers and borrowed a loop only to discover the .925 stamp which means silver. I returned immediately to the store and demanded a refund on my visa. I was told that the stamp was the designer's stamp. Not true he wouldn't give me a refund and was lying to me over and over again! I am still fighting with my bank over the transaction. Do NOT BUY JEWELLERY FROM LUNA JEWELLERY ON 5Th Avenue in Playa Del Carmen Mexico!!!!!!! THEY ARE CROOKS AND LIARS!!!

15 Thank Bowen M
Vancouver, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

5th avenue in playa del carmen is just a fun place to go to spend an evening or a day. I have been here several times over the last 10 years and alwasy enjoy it. Interaction with the merchants is a blast. Sure they're a bit aggresive at times but I can respect anyone who works hard to make a buck. And these people do. Wonderful sense of humour from all of them. I've always enjoyed my trips to this area. Merchants, great places to eat and just a wonderful atmosphere to be experienced over-all

Visited November 2012
2 Thank farrant1002
Fredericton, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Stay away from 5th Ave”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

If you enjoy bartering, then perhaps this is the best place for you. However, if you don't like it then stay away. The retailers are horrendously aggressive. In fact, when attempting to barter with them, they would get angry. There were also signs of animal mistreatment. A man on the street literally threw his spider monkey at my mother. He then demanded I pay him so that I could take a picture of my mother and the monkey. The monkey obviously was terrified. When I return to the Mayan Riviera, I won't be going to Playa del Carmen to shop.

7 Thank tarakelly2013
Kelowna, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Friendly Mexican culture”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

5th avenue is filled with Mexican retailers, local restaurants and has a nice vibe. It feels safe and is friendly

Visited February 2013