“Will return”

Sandos Playacar Beach Resort
Ranked #61 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen

The trip was great!
I'm not sure if we'll do that late flight again though, Our flight was delayed (no fault of anyone) but when we got to Sandos at midnight (3am our time) they didn't have our reservation:( they put us in the 1st floor ocean view room which sounds amazing however the musty smell was overwhelming and the room was a little shabby. I brought room freshners, put them out and slept there for the night to see what the morning would bring but it didn't help. So we asked for a room change, which they accomidated and gave us a room on the 3rd floor of the adult section with a pool view, yay! The room was much nicer (newer), clean and very little smell, double yay! The adult section is very quiet and pretty far away from everything but they have 2 or 3 shuttles that run every 10 minutes.
I will warn people ( everyone says, (even the flight announcer) to stay clear of the time share people in/around the airport( which given the time of night we got in there wasn't any around) but right in the Meeting Point of the resort there is a desk of people with Sandos shirts, one lady approached us (right after we talked to the front desk to ask for a room change) and she engaged in conversation asking how our trip was so far etc. we told her the issue we were having and she offered to help....we declined because we were waiting on the front desk to get back to us but she insisted, she came back with the same solution we just got from the front desk and said since we'd have to wait until 3:00 to check into our new room to lock up our valuables that we might as well go on a tour of the resort (I read on trip advisor that a tour of the resort is helpful because it helps you figure out where everything is) we were interested until she said something about this members club, I said we're not interested in time shares to which she talked some more and offered us either a weeks stay or cash and resort coupons for a 90 minute presentation, also guilting us in by saying if we agree it puts meat and potatoes on her table for her and her son, so we agreed to it if she could cut the time from 90 minutes to 60 minutes......(I thought it was her doing the tour but she then handed us off to a man) after LOTS of talking (him struggling a little with English which is understandable but made the conversations long) a short tour, a lot of walking and ALOT more talking he's trying to sell us this time share with us declining and after 3.5 hours I was frustrated and said enough was enough, it was 3:30 before we got to enjoy our first day and all we had was $100 US and a coupon booked which we were only able to use 1 coupon from! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr Please stay clear of the members desk inside the meeting point (not to be confused with the guest service desk in the meeting point) with all that being said I still have a bit of a bad taste in my mouth from that first night and day but after that it was smooth sailing, the beach was beautiful (we spent 5 days there and just one at the pool ( which was also nice). Although far from everything we would still go back to the 3rd floor in the adult section, plus you also get an adult section of the beach. Beds could've been a little softer but the room was clean and cool, no towel animals though:/ the resort was huge, clean and the workers worked hard, we were able to book our al la carts all at once (no getting up at 6am to wait in line) the buffets were large and there was always something to choose from, breakfast was my fav! They had unlimited wifi in your room and a wide range of areas in the resort! there was only one day there was a bird in the buffet area (unlike the other resort we visited, there was mesh here that kept the birds out :)))) oh and we didn't see any of those raccoon type animals that we're roaming everywhere on the other resort we stayed at before- thank god:)
We've decided that we will go back to this resort and recommend it to others with the key tip to stay away from the time share people, no matter what the offer you it's not worth feeling that pressure and wasting that much time of your vacation!

Room Tip: 3rd floor adult section-quiet, clean, cool, very little smell
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AmandaAJA

Reviewed April 22, 2014

We returned to Sandos Playacar a year after our first visit and were charmed yet again. We were worried our kids wouldn't have the amazing time they had last year, that it would not live up to the memories - but no, it was better! They are constantly renovating and building new areas, and it was as clean as we remembered. The food in the buffets is always changing, always fresh and delicious. We rode the bikes this time as the boys were finally big enough, and that was a great experience, as was the rifling competition (first time, too), and seeing the peacocks for the first time, and playing in the teen club (which isn't just for teens). We made friends with another family there and hope to meet up there again with them next year. The staff was friendly and helpful, even with the language barrier at times being an issue, and kudos have to go to Edu from the rifle range, who remembered our names five days after meeting us one time!! The gym was a little on the hot side for my taste, but it was very warm out while we were there. The kids did one day of kids club and loved it, and the staff there (same as last year) were wonderful. We will be back ... counting the days!

Room Tip: A two bedroom is huge!! I recommend the royal elite haciendas - of course you need to be a royal eli...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Teresa G
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Very enjoyable stay with my wife and 2 sons (ages 7,5).

Weather was awesome (travelled in late Mar/early Apr). Beach was wonderful! Grounds well kept. Rooms comfortable. Semi private pool and jacuzzi in hacienda suite added nice touch. By the way, the walk to meeting point and beach from hacienda was comfortable and manageable even for my kids who tend to complain about walking too far.

Food was average. Eating at main buffet (Festival) got quickly redundant. Asiana restaurant was very good, but did not like Steakhouse. Cupcake cafe had cool ambience, but desserts were so so.

Shows were average but I really enjoyed Minute to Win It. Kids enjoyed the kids club but we never kept them there longer than few hours at a time. Free mini arcade was fun.

Rode bikes from hotel to 5th ave which was really cool (although the ride back was not so easy with all the stuff we bought lol). Also rented a car for day and drove to Tulum which was awesome experience. Beach there was amazing too!

Overall, we were really happy with our decision to stay here because it offered what we were looking for in this particular trip: an affordable, family friendly, all inclusive resort with an awesome beach in a great location.

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank ShizzB
Reviewed April 21, 2014

We chose Sandos partially because of location and partially for the great reviews we read on Trip Advisor. Overall, we had a great time. The staff is very gracious and accommodating. My compliments go out to all the staff for their warm greetings, friendly demeanour, and great service. The resort is kept clean. There is plenty to do on the resort, lots of activities and amenities. Great for families. Loved the Cupcake Café for my morning cappuccinos. Food was good at the buffets. My favourite though was the lunch time meals at the Riviera Blue. Cudos to the chef (Tomas). The meals were great and the service was fantastic, thank you Floriberto and Fernando. Our fav bartenders were Gustavo at Riviera Blue and Jose at the main bar who were always friendly and provided efficient service. The entertainment was good. My favourite night was the beach party night. Circus show was good. Beach was beautiful. Sandy beach and beautiful turquoise water. Some areas of the hotel grounds are starting to show a bit of age and could do with some touch ups. Our room was very humid though and beds could have been a bit more comfortable. So, this would be an area that I would suggest for improvement. Location, great. Close to town. Overall, we had a great time and I would recommend this resort.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

I definitely would not recommend this hotel. Staff was horrible. Unless you are an elite customer the staff acts like u don't exist. The whole time their focus is to try to sell their time share. Just to eat at their buffet you have to take a shuttle. Horrible room service. No sheets for pull out couch in junior suites. Really bad experience. Will never recommend this hotel to my worst enemy. They over charged my credit card then wanted to refund in pesos. Took them a month to credit my account. Bad bad experience! !

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank josie c
Reviewed April 21, 2014

The staff at Sandos Playacar makes the hotel a 5/5 star in my opinion. They are all very nice to everyone and are also very funny. Although I won the American football activity and forget to get my shirt the day and night entertainment was great. I made so many new friends on facebook there. I am planning on coming back soon. -Nick Patterson

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed April 21, 2014

This was my second spring break trip to Mexico. I love the sun and beaches. I decided to stay at another Sandos Resort because I loved Sandos Riveria Maya. As I mentioned on my previous Sandos review, I visited Sandos Playacar one day, that was my deciding factor for this trip. Needless to say, I was a little disappointed. When we first arrived we were given an incorrect room, as we were staying with friends in the Adult Section, we were given a single bed. We had no problems getting our room switched, but it too had one single bed and reeked of mildew. So we went to the front desk a third time and was given a room with two beds that had a less-offensive smell. The staff was very nice and apologetic. The beach was the best part of the whole trip, it was beautiful. This resort is on the far end of Playa del Carmen, so it was very quite and peaceful. The worst part was the food. It was so bad that we had a stomach bug most of the trip and couldn't stay too far away from a bathroom. I would pick Sandos Riveria Maya again before Sandos Playacar.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends