We stayed at Sandos Playacar from Feb 6-13, 2014.
This was the most wonderful vacation I have ever had! We were a group of 4 couples and we were all so sad to leave!
Everything was extra clean. The staff was so friendly and helpful. Our room (Room 2442) was awesome!
I love the way this hotel is layed out. The Royal Elite is up at the front near the lobby and there are, I think, three restaurants on that end that you have to make reservations for. There is a wonderful adult only pool on that end with a swim up bar. Most everything else is down on the other end, a short walk or shuttle ride away. There is a second lobby on that end with an excellent guest services that will help you with everything from restaurant reservations and taxi's to questions about where to find a church or anything else you might want.
When you walk out of that second lobby, there is an open courtyard with a stage on one end with two more reservation-required restaurants, two buffet restaurants, a huge bar with pool tables, computers, etc. and mini-golf. Walk through that to get to the huge pool. There is a pool bar there and then you can walk on out to the beach where there are LOTS of chairs both in and out of the shade. There is a bar on the beach as well.
Oh, and between the Royal Elite section and the second lobby, there is another family pool.
Awesome food!!! This is the best food we have ever had at an all-inclusive! I am allergic to gluten and I could always find something to eat at the buffets. And, when we ate at the ala carte restaurants, the waiters/waitresses were EXCELLENT at helping me choose options that were safe for me to eat. I was really surprised at how great they were at that!
The buffets always had a very good selection with staff manning grills, cooking fish, chicken, beef, pork, etc. Awesome!!! There was always a nice selection of fruits and fresh veggies, yogurt. I couldn't eat most of the sides due to my food allergies, but my husband said they were good.
The ala carte restaurants we ate at were Mexican, steak and Brazillian. Mexican Ala Carte was very good. I had the chicken nachos and they were very good. Everyone in our group loved what they got. The steak place was excellent. The ribeye was excellent! Others in my group ordered the filet mignon and it was very thick and juicy looking! The Brazillian was excellent also. They kept bringing meat until you were full!!! Excellent tastes of a variety of meats.
We went to all three pools. My absolute favorite was the adult only! We were totally entertained by Edgar! Ask Fabian at the swim up bar to make you a "See You MF" and grab a lounge chair and chill out! Totally relaxing, wonderful music, really awesome experience! They make awesome Riveria Maya's and Dirty Monkey's...and they will even make them without alcohol....or with extra alcohol. ;-)
You can play pool games or just hang out. They bring food around lunch time and cook hamburgers and hot dogs and have salads and other sides. They have awesome guacamole and chips!
The middle pool was loud with screaming kids and teenagers so we didn't stay there long. The big pool near the beach was also crowded with kids and people hogged the chairs by putting their towels on them and never using them. Why do people do that? It happens at any hotel I've ever been to...people rush out early in the morning and put their towels out and then go to the beach and never use their chair.
Make sure you go in there to use the pool and hot tub and gym!!! There is a sauna and spa services which we didn't use, but we used the hot tub the first night and it felt great after all that traveling to get there. I would have liked to get a massage at the beach, but I thought the prices were extremely high!!!
Our room was in one of the buildings near the buffets, around on the back side of the the ones by the pool. It was a little further to walk and the elevator was broken the whole week, so every time we went to our room, we walked four flights of stairs. Not a big deal to us, but if that is a thing for you, make sure you get a room in a different building.
I loved the soft, white sand that you could walk and walk and walk on! I rarely used a beach chair, but there were lots and lots of them.
Be sure to stop at the little booth on the beach by the showers and talk to Obed about an excursion to Isla Mujeres! We spent a whole day on this excursion: transportation to Cancun, catamaran trip to Isla Mujeres, snorkeling at a coral reef, got to pet and hold a shark, shop at a quaint village, had a wonderful Mexican food buffet, hung out on the beach and in the ocean, and could do a kite off the back of the boat (kind of like parasailing) and transportation back to the hotel...all for $99! That was a wonderful day!
Wonderfully clean! We had a king size bed, a little table with chairs, a nice tv (we never watched it), and a nice balcony with a pull-out drying rack to dry swimsuits on. The bathroom was clean, nice shower. The maid always shaped towels into some little creature and had them laying on the bed.
Free flowing, good drinks. Make sure you do a Mexican Flag shot, which they set on fire! Tequila shots, Dirty Monkey, Riveria Maya, Miami Vice, Grasshopper, Sex on the Beach, See You Mother F****er, Cerveza, etc. And, they will do all the icy drinks without alcohol too.
Be sure to go back behind the mini-golf area where the monkeys are. If you take some banana and hold it up, the monkeys will come over and hang down from the trees and take the banana right out of your hand!
If I had to be really picky, I would say that the beds could be softer. And, the elevator wasn't working. But, my number one complaint is that the vacation didn't last long enough!!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa is an all-Inclusive hotel in Playa del Carmen with both family and adult sections. We are ideally located on a magnificent white sandy beach in the gated community of Playacar, within walking distance to downtown Playa and Fifth Avenue. Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa is located only forty-five minutes from the Cancun International Airport, and the pier serving ferries to Cozumel is a short distance from our property.Playacar is a private, master-planned community situated on the southern edge of downtown Playa del Carmen. Guests at Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa enjoy this exclusive community’s impressive infrastructure, including an 18-hole golf course designed by Robert Von Hagge, the Xaman-Ha Aviary, pristine biking paths, and Mayan ruins, accessible to the public for hiking.Riviera Maya is a protected region where many remaining artifacts from the fascinating Mayan civilization can be found. Surrounded by Mayan archeological zones, such as those at Tulum, Coba, and Chicen-Itza, this Playa del Carmen hotel successfully preserves a strong sense of Mayan culture onsite, adding an authentic feel and flavor to the vacation experience in Playacar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Hotwire, Travelocity, HotelsforEveryone, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Sandos Playacar Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandos Playacar Beach Hotel
- Hotel Sandos Playacar Beach
- Beach Playacar Resort Sandos
- Sandos Playacar Resort
- Sandos Playa Del Carmen
- Gala Resort Playacar
- Sandos Gala Playacar
- Sandos Playacar Mexico
- Sandos Resort
- Playacar Sandos