“great resort hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #59 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Stafford, United Kingdom
“great resort hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

This is our second visit to a Sandos resort, (We went to Caracol last year) and have to say we find the staff and service excellent. This is a lovely resort. our room was lovely (we upgraded to adults only section), the adults pool is very nice with a swim up bar, we stayed down the quieter end where the cabana's were. You never have to struggle to get a cabana or a sun bed. Some people have complained (on here) about the walk to the beach if you are at the adults end, it takes between 5-10 minutes to walk and is really no problem at all. There is a golf buggy thingy that transports you at regular intervals but apart from anyone elderly or infirm I can't see why you would need to use it other that sheer laziness. I have advanced lung cancer and I never used it once! The walk is quit pleasant and it helps walk off the delicious breakfast!
We did book into the Al a Carte restaurants when ever possible, all of which served lovely food, the Gaucho and French being our favourite. We did have room service the night we arrived too. The beach is nice and sea warm and lovely. There is supposed to be a smoking and non smoking section although people don't tend to adhere to it and it is not 'policed' it did bother me sometimes with my illness as I have never smoked and don't like breathing it.
We didn't see any evening entertainment as most time after evening meal we were tired and returned to our room. Would prefer to be up early and enjoy the day.
We did visit the Sandos Caracol resort a couple of times which is only a short taxi ride away, we also asked reception at Playacar to book a restaurant over their for us which they did. As we were adults only with 'gold armbands' we were able to use all the adults only facilities there too, including the beach 'club house' where there are showers, hairdryers etc to get showered and changed to go out for evening meal before returning to Playacar.
The select club (adults only bars) are also very good and make a mean cosmopolitan (my favourite cocktail) we went to one of them (there are 2) each night before dinner and sometimes after too.
On the whole it was a great holiday, great value for money and would recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: If you are a couple with no children would recommend upgrading to the 'select club' adults o...
6 Thank lynb21
Sandos_Playacar, General Manager at Sandos Playacar Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear lynb21,

Thank you for letting us know how your stay was, we will be more than happy to have the opportunity to host you again very soon and give you once again the good service you have already experienced.

Please feel free to contact us.
Warm Regards,
director.playacar@sandos.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,759)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Chesterfield, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

We booked our holiday a year before we travelled after reading the excellant reviews on here, as time went on there were a few comments that I was concerned about. On arrival we were taken out of the queue and led to the select club desk, we where never offered a drink like I had read in previous reviews, so we were disappointed in that. We did email ahead to book our dinner reservations and to make sure we had a kingsize room on the upper floor. Our room was on the second floor with two double beds they did offer to change it the next day. On entering the room the musty mouldy smell took your breathe away, within about 15 mins guest services rang to ask if everything was ok, I mentioned the smell and she had a humidifier sent up which did help. We where in the adult only section which was nice and quite a it was steady walk to the beach, but it was also nice to get the buggy. went to the mexican restaurant didnt really enjoy the food there, yet the brazilian and the steak house was excellent. Also the cupcake cafe is really good . The buffet restaurants are hit and miss with the service, first few days all smiles and holas then after that you never got offered a drink they are only interested in the new arrivals. We did take advice from our rep about tipping, and left tips accordingly, but once the service started to decline we just stopped tipping. Same with the maid service we left a generous tip for Rosario (name on card) then the next day our room wasnt cleaned then on another day there was no coffee left or toilet rolls and my pjs where just thrown over the telephone ha ha, the following day our room wasnt cleaned again so I rang guest services who said they would get in touch with house keeping to sort it out, 3 hours later when we came back from our evening meal the room was clean but the balcony was not swept all the time we where there (10days) to be honest we didnt get to know any of the staffs names but that does not mean they were not friendly, they work very hard to keep the place spotless. The entertainment team are really good, we went to the Michael Jackson tribute show which was fantastic, also watching the zumba on the beach was great. We didn't really sit by the pool, but the swim up bar looked good. The royal elite staff did invite us on a tour but we declined. As a select club guest which is adults only you have your own breakfast buffett which has a wide range of food, also you have your own section of the beach, unless there is a wedding then you get the kids from the wedding party swinging on the hammocks, this only happened once but peed you off as the signs clearly state adults only. We went to the premium bar in the lobby for pre dinner drinks my husband asked for two beers and we were given 2 cans if we had wanted that kind of service we could have had a drink in our room, also the bar tender looked put out and when I asked for a glass, he gave me a plastic cup. None of these negatives spoilt our holiday, cos the beach is like being in paradise, the water is crystal clear and warm, the little waitress on the beach worked her butt off going round asking people if they wanted a drink, and the bagel beach bar was great for a snack if you didn't want to go to the buffet for lunch, you can build your own hamburgers and hot dogs and there was fries and salad. This resort caters more for americans who you can hear very loudly on the beach but saying that the resort is beautiful with excellant facilities and we did have a lovely time we would return to Sandos should we ever decided to come back to mexico

Room Tip: Adult only section, is nice and relaxing
4 Thank Sue G
Dear Sue G,

Thank you very much for your wonderful comments and for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. We would like to express our deepest gratitude for your feedback and suggestions as they are very valuable to us.

We would be more than happy to welcome you back for a second holiday in our resort.

Warmest Regards,
Reading, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

Let me start off by saying that I like to vacation in different places but once I came to Mexico in 2012 I fell in love. This was our 2nd time staying at Sandos Playacar and it was terrific! We stayed here in February 2012 and decided to return because of all the daily activities they have to offer and the beautiful white sand beach, with it's crystal clear water. We were coming here to enjoy the resort amenities and only did 2 day trips outside of the resort. We've stayed in Cozumel but the entertainment didn't compare to Sandos! I knew we wanted to relax but I also didn't want to get bored either. We weren't disappointed! The whole family loved it so much that we want to come back again......real soon!

Prior to our arrival I communicated with Barbara from Web Relations via their facebook page and she was always helpful and prompt in getting back to me. I was able to make a reservation thru her at the Brazilian Restaurant for my husbands birthday and she surprised us with a birthday cake and "shots" of 7-up for us to celebrate his birthday what a nice surprise that was! Thank you Barbara!!!! She even posted pictures of us on their facebook page!

Although our room wasn't ready until 4pm they did upgrade us to a Hacienda Jr Suite which we were all excited about. It's a 10 unit building with it's own pool and hot tub. On our first visit we stayed in this type of room so we were pleasantly surprised to be upgraded to one.

The room was clean and spacious with a balcony overlooking the pool. The beds are a little hard but was ok for me. I think you can ask for a mattress topper which will make it softer. The pillows could be softer but were still ok. Bathroom is large with 2 double sinks a separate toilet room and a very large shower stall. The lighting in the shower could be better. It seems to me that they've remodeled the haciendas from the last time I was there. Housekeeping was wonderful and always restocked it with water, towels and even left towel animals on our bed. I wish I could remember his name as I had to ask him for another box of tissues (my son was going thru them like crazy) which he immediately got for us! We stayed in room 6306 so please let him know how grateful we are for having him as our housekeeper!

Our Hacienda was close to the main gate but only took us about 7 minutes to walk to the Meeting Point. I actually looked forward to the walk as I got to enjoy the resort more and listen to the nature sounds. I was a little disappointed that I didn't get to see the monkeys. I heard them but never got to see them. Something to look forward to next time.

We always encountered workers on the grounds and buildings. They seem to upkeep this resort well.

Everyone from the front desk to servers to bell boys and the towel hut were all extremely nice and helpful. I kept asking how to say towels in Spanish so it became a little game between the man working there and myself. He was so helpful in helping me say "toallas" correctly! We didn't run into anybody who didn't say hello or smile as they passed.

We ate at 2 of the a la carte restaurants the Mexican and Brazilian which were both fantastic. Food was excellent as well as the servers!

My son absolutely loved the Cup Cake Cafe and so did the rest of the family! Everyone in there is so polite and friendly. Service was awesome and they always greeted you with a friendly smile when you arrived. We ate here several times a day and each time they were always friendly and welcoming. They even thanked us for cleaning up our table!

We ate at the Festival most times. Service there was wonderful. I remember one server who was petit and pregnant (sorry I forgot your name) who went out of her way to help us with our Spanish. My son is taking spanish in school and forgot how to ask what time it is. I know very little spanish but asked her how to say it in spanish and she politely told us. Being that she didn't have a watch on and didn't know what time it was she found out for us and told us. I was thrilled that she went out of her way to find that out for us because where I live the waitresses here couldn't be bothered. She always had a smile on her face!! Thank you to all the servers at the Festival and the chef's who made such wonderful food!! The omelette station which also served as the hot food station at lunch and dinner was wonderful. Those chef's work so hard. I always made it a point to say "Thank you" to them every time I went up.

The entertainment team was wonderful. They kept my kids busy in the pool with activities. I even tried Zumba on the beach! It was a lot of fun! My kids loved playing water polo with Jaime and every time they saw him after that he always said hello to them. We played bingo, I won, and my daughter got to make friendship bracelets by the pool. Their favorite was on Friday when they got to go into the Walk on Water ball! They had a blast as did all the other guests who got to try it! Sarac from the entertainment team was so friendly and polite as well. We took the bicycle tour with him around Playa and learned a lot about the area. We played bingo with him by the pool where he involved a lot of the children in the activity. It was fun to hear him call out the numbers and then hear the children say it in another language.

The evening shows were great too! There are so many people who work on the entertainment team who deserve acknowledgment but I don't know their names. They really do work hard to keep everybody happy and entertained. The Minute to Win it game is a lot of fun. The Circus show was awesome! Mexican nite is a show not to be missed. It's just as good as I remember.

The beach is beautiful! White sand, crystal clear and no rocks! It's like swimming in a pool. We never had a problem getting a beach chair.

There's snorkeling, kayaking, wave boards and small sail boats available at no charge. The staff at Scuba Libre where you can borrow this stuff from is extremely nice as well. Of course there's other activities available from them for a fee like parasailing and jet ski's . We did both thru them and loved it. You can also take a try scuba diving which my husband and 11yr old daughter tried and they loved it. Carlotta from Scuba Libre is an awesome instructor.

We can't wait to go back!!

Room Tip: Hacienda Jr. Suites are private 10 unit 2 story bldgs with their own private pool and hot tub!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank mychrisemily
Dear mychrisemily,

I would like to extend warm and cordial regards on behalf of the Sandos Playacar family, and thank you for the time invested in posting your personal impressions of our hotel.

We are glad to know you and your partner were able to enjoy yourselves while on vacation. It pleases me to know that our staff and our overall services exceeded your expectations.

I will extend your regards to Barbara, thank you for your positive reviews. Your comments are really appreciated; reviews like this one motivate us to keep up the hard work.

Looking forward to your next visit to this “Su Casa”

Kindest Wishes,
Beaverton, Oregon, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

First, let me preface this review by saying that I'm not typically one to publicly complain about things like this. Second, I understand that this is review will cover my and my wife's personal experience; others clearly have different experiences, most of them probably better than our's. Third, I'll try to first explain the major things (by our opinion), then finish with the smaller things. Unfortunately, the negative experiences, by far, outweigh the positive ones.

My wife and I booked this three-week vacation through my travel agent, AAA in Oregon. This was to be our Honeymoon. In general, Mexico was and is a great country, and this was our first time visiting there (we just got back a few hours ago). Unfortunately, our stay at this hotel was a fairly terrible experience. I didn't have any amazing standards or expectations, just average ones. For the first week or so, I thought the problems may have been coincidences or small breakdowns. But as the problems remained consistent, I realized that things were much worse than I would have liked to admit at the time.

I will briefly list the PROS at this hotel (in no particular order):

-Great drink selection, and since the resort was all-inclusive, we didn't pay a cent for the drinks here. This included drinks at the pool bar, the Premium bar, and anywhere else on the resort.

-The location of the resort was at the very end of Playacar (a small community adjacent to Riviera Maya, the main city of the area). This led to the most beach area, technically. The water was very clear, the sand was very clean (the employees that cleaned the beach were fairly thorough), and there was an area that allowed you to snorkel in the Ocean without paying for a tour, guide, or assistance.

-For the price that we paid, it was pretty good value, one way or another.

-In passing, nearly every employee said "Hola!", or offered some other greeting. It sounded genuine, not just a canned statement that's said. There were employees that we got on a first-name basis with, and who were a great help throughout the entire trip.

As previously mentioned, the resort seemed great for the first few days until the negative experiences became consistent. The worst ones follow:

-I imagine that this is mainly a personal preference, but all of the beds are very firm and hard. Even the "royal elite" club beds are hard. This led to my wife having back pains most morning, and I eventually suffered from the same problem. We went and got a massage, and that seemed to sort it out for me. Not so much for my wife. But BE WARNED, the beds are HARD.

-Our room was at the very back of the complex. This may seem like a "first-world" problem, but as I continue, you'll understand how important this becomes. From our room, it was about a quarter-mile walk to the main lobby/reception, and about a half-mile walk from there to the Meeting Point (where you go to make dinner reservation, meet with travel guides, etc.). From there, it was about a quarter-mile to walk to the beach. So, all in all, it was about a mile to walk to the beach.

-We lost power in our room at least 12 separate times. On a regular basis (normally at night while watching TV), the power to the room would just shut off. I thought it was the entire building or complex, but after stepping on to our deck and peering around the corner, it was just us. The rooms have motion sensors that power down most of the room after about 20 minutes or so, but the motion sensors also lost power during these times. Since I am Batman, I concluded that the outages had nothing to to with this timer.

-Our telephone died after about a week of being at the resort. It was dead for almost 3 days before finally being replaced. This wouldn't be that big of a deal, but if we wanted room service or any other service, we'd have to walk to the lobby during that downtime...which brings me to my next problem...

-...the water dispenser (with the 5 gal. jug) leaked 2.5 gallons of water onto our floor one night around 1am. I thought I heard dripping while watching TV, so we muted the sound. We confirmed it, then traced the sound to the dispenser. It was leaking pretty badly, and got the entire desk that it was on wet, and started to leak to the floor and our bags (which we quickly moved to the other side of the room). We were both tired, but still awake. Since we couldn't call the lobby, we both walked down to the lobby. There, we waited for about 10 minutes to be acknowledged (this isn't a complaint, there were people in front of us). It took the employee about 15 minutes to reach the maintenance employee. We walked back and met the maintenance employee there, and he assessed the situation. He arranged for himself and housekeeping to take the dispenser, and dried up the water on the floor. There was still quite a bit of water on the desk, but that was simple to clean up. Fortunately, none of our belongings got wet.

-There are multiple pools at the resort, which leads to a lot of wet walking paths. It's also very humid, so if there's no AC in a certain area, you end up with some slick surfaces (a lot of brushed and/or polished walking surfaces). My wife and I had multiple slips while there, but during the few times of rain, the inside surfaces would be very slick. One night, my wife slipped and fell, bruising her knees. This was done in front of two employees (two of whom were behind a counter, but didn't acknowledge that anything had happened). A different employee walked past us from behind as I was helping my wife up. On a catamaran tour that we did, we met a woman who had slipped and fell at the hotel. Her entire foot and ankle was blue, wrapped, and she was in a wheelchair. On nights after my wife fell, we noticed that they rolled out carpets in a couple areas indoors to reduce the chance of falling on the slick surfaces.

-There was a "Sandos" magazine that was given to us on our first day. This had information around the restaurants at the resort, along with their hours of operation. There were certain times where we would make a trip to a restaurant (i.e. the crepe stand), only to arrive and see that there's no one there. This happened on at least 5 separate occasions between different places to eat, and each one was very disappointing. On one of the final days, I asked the employee at the crepe station when she was leaving that day, and if they were open yesterday (since there was no one there the prior day; hours of the crepe stand are 2-930 every day). She said she left at 5pm the prior day, was leaving at 730pm that day, and would be there until 9 the next day. That may or may not be her fault, but I wouldn't provide alleged hours of operation stating otherwise.

-Most of the food was mediocre at best. Some of the specific restaurants had fancier menus, and you could make up to 3 reservations per week at the places (all of which are at the resort). In general, though, I would prefer snacks that you'd find at a store over the cooked food at the different buffets. After being directed to a table at any of the buffets, we initially preferred to be waited on so we could order our drinks (non-alcoholic at most meals for us). Then we would go up and get food, so that way our table would not be taken by others not knowing that someone was seated there. We eventually opted for going one at a time, since the time to be waited on for drinks averaged about 20 minutes of waiting. There were a couple meals where no one came, so we grabbed the drinks ourselves. Doing this wasn't a big deal to me, but the employees didn't seem to like people doing that.

-At the restaurants, the service became so bad and inconsistent, that many couple walked out of some of the nicer restaurants because of a long wait time for food, or other reasons. I will say that our restaurant that we had a stellar experience one time was terrible the next, as it took 1 hour and 50 minutes to get seated, drinks, appetizers and entrees. During the second visit, my wife managed to cut her stake with a butter knife, and I had to ask for a spoon to drink my soup. I admit that I tried it with a fork...unsuccessfully. After the long time, we decided to skip dessert and go to the crepe stand 45 minutes before they closed. We made the small walk, and were pretty upset to see that it was closed when we got there.

-One evening in the pool outside of our hotel room, we met a really great group of 5 or 6 from England. They were great, and we ended up talking to them for almost two hours. It was 625pm, and we let them know we had reservations at 7. We were actually discussing some of the issues we'd had (this was after we'd stayed for 2 weeks). One of which was that one of our room cards often failed to open the door. Oddly enough, we went to our room, and had that exact thing happen. Our neighbor happened to be in the hallway, so we asked if he could call the lobby and let them know our card didn't work. They said they couldn't send anyone, and that we had to walk to the lobby ourselvesThat kind of pissed us off, as that would make it impossible to shower and make our reservation on time. So we walked down there, waited in line for 10 minutes (again, not a complaint), and then we were finally next. As we're walking up to the counter, a random guest just walked up to the counter. While rude people are a major pet peeve of mine, I didn't say anything to him. I'm thinking "oh, they'll let him know there's a line of people waiting". NOAP! They actually helped him for about 3 minutes. I finally walked directly up to him, almost touching him, ready to tell him he needs to wait, but my wife instead walked up to the employee and said "excuse me, I don't mean to interrupt, but we're locked out of our room, and have dinner reservations" (or something very similar to that). Her voice was raised, but it wasn't a yell. The employee then told the man he needed to wait in line. My wife explained that she didn't want me to say anything to the guest because of my short temper with rude people. The employee grabbed our card, and either reset it, or did nothing. Thoughtfully, she called the restaurant to inform them of the situation. We walked back to our room, and the card still didn't work...normally. My wife knocked on the neighbor's door, and asked if she could use the phone. While she was in there, I jammed the card into the slot, to the point where I felt like the card was going to break. It finally flashed green (as opposed to red for the past 20 minutes), and I let her know that we're in. We ended up about 50 minutes late to the appointment (which they'd cleared).

-With 5 days left to go, our safe reset and no longer accepted our password. We got this sorted out after we let them know of the problem. That only took about 20 minutes for Security to come and unlock and reset it. It was humorous that he asked for our passports before unlocking it...and we informed him that they were locked inside. We shared a laugh, and he opened it.

-The final thing that I can remember: I called the lobby the morning of our departure to ask if we needed anything to check out. They said we could just leave. I asked again to double-check, and he confirmed this. We left, had a less-than-average breakfast buffet, and arrived at our pickup at the lobby with a couple minutes to spare. As we were telling the bell boys outside that we'd arrived (the vehicle was waiting for us with a couple from a different resort already inside), they said we needed a checkout slip. We let the driver know, and simply walked back into the lobby (no line!) and informed them that we needed to check out. They asked if we had our room cards and beach towels. We did not, since we didn't think we needed them. They instructed us to go back to our room and retrieve them. I walked outside at this point, so I'm not sure how my wife informing them that since we didn't need the room cards, we had no way of getting back into the room to retrieve the cards or the towels. The driver let me know he could only wait 10 minutes. My wife came back, finished checkout, and we departed. I apologized to the other party waiting in the van.

The smaller problems are as follows:

-The housekeeper took different provided items every time she left, and would a took a pillow after we were given an extra pillow by a different housekeeper (default 3, we had a 4th one at one point). Our floor would frequently be left with puddles of water from what I'm assuming was a mop, or toilet water.

-On the first day, immediately after checking in, we were offered a tour the very next day by an employee. We thought that souned great. It turns out that this "tour" was just a sales presentation for their time share-esque program. It was contractually obligated to be no more than 90 minutes, including a breakfast. We listened to the presentation, and eventually decided not to pay and join the program (since there was no obligation, right)? The salesman got visibly upset, stormed off and told us to follow him so we could receive coupons for listening. I'd worn a black shirt because I wasn't too concerned with the heat (it was about 90 degrees every day). While waiting at a door for his employee to provide the coupons, he makes the snide remark "look at you, you wore a black shirt?" and laughed. I replied, remarking about the 9am start time going beyond the 90 minutes, since it was almost 1pm.

If I think of anything, good or bad, to add to this review, I'll do so when I can. If you took the time to read this, it's appreciated. It may be an isolated circumstance, but I hope that everyone else has positive experiences at this specific location.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
23 Thank Domonic H
Dear Domonic H,

I want to thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write your feedback regarding your visit. Having read your comments I apologize for the unfortunate incidents you experiences in our facilities whilst staying with us.

Rest assured that the comments of all our guests are very valuable to us and yours have been shared to be address internally.

As we strive for excellence, the hotel continuously invest to improve our facilities.

Please accept my sincere apologies for any shortcomings from our side during your stay with us. I do hope you will give preference to our hotel again at your next trip to the Riviera Maya and I would be delighted to welcome you back.

Director Hotel
Tel: 984 877 40 40 Ext 4201
e-Mail: director.playacar@sandos.com
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

The resort is absolutely beautiful. The beaches and grounds are pristine. The overall level of service is fantastic. We ordered room service every night. I was shocked at the amount of amenities offered at the resort. There were things we didn't even know about until later in our trip. My advice is to explore. There was always an activity of some sort going on. Kids and adults alike will love this resort. Tons of wildlife and no language barrier, they had multilingual staff everywhere. Did I mention its all inclusive? Eat and drink yourself silly. We only had one meal we didn't like. Gaucho steak house wasn't up to par with the rest of the resort. Outside of that I would say its top notch. I have to mention service. Gilda was our server 6 of the 8 nights we were there. She is a complete rock star. She knew our orders and made us feel like family from the second hour we were there.

Room Tip: We had a room on the beach side of the resort with an ocean view from our balcony. 2330's are pe...
1 Thank JZambuto
Dear JZambuto,

What a great pleasure is to read such wonderful comments; it’s our pleasure to see that you had a wonderful stay with us!

Thank you for such a wonderful reviewing detailing your vacation experience. Your kind words mean more than you know and your feedback has been displayed in the hotel for all our staff to see.

It will be always a pleasure to welcome you back for your 2nd visit at Sandos Playacar
Kind regards,
Newark, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

For our third trip to our favorite place in the world, Playa Del Carmen, we spent 6 days at the Sandos Playacar and had a wonderful time. The property is beautiful, the beach is amazing, and the service is exceptional. I contacted Daniela in web relations prior to our stay and she was extremely accommodating, prompt, and eager to answer any questions and even made our dinner reservations for us prior to our arrival. From the moment we arrived all the staff we encountered were enthusiastic, friendly, eager to assist, and passionate about Playa and the Sandos.

We stayed in the adults section. Our first room was in the 9000 building, which is fine if you plan to spend all your time at the adults only pool, but since we prefer the beach we requested a move to the 8000 building to make the walk a little shorter. The front desk staff were very accommodating and switched us to a corner room in the 8000 building. The rooms are quite spacious, contemporary, and nice. The beds are firm but comfortable. Though the resort is large, everything is easy to find and it's such a beautiful resort, we never minded walking and enjoying the scenery and wildlife we often encountered. Several times we lucked out and caught a ride on one of the golf carts that are continuously circling the resort, but if not we just enjoyed the stroll.

The beach is amazing and beautiful. We never had a problem finding chairs to relax in the shade. Yasmin, the beach server, was always cheerful and took great care of us. The service at the Bagel Beach bar was great. Though they advertise the bagel menu, they were never serving them which was a bit of a let down. The water and sand are great and you can walk one direction away from the resorts and enjoy the uninhabited beach, rock formations, and jungle views or the other direction and check out the other resorts in the area.

The pools are all spacious and clean. Bar service was excellent and bartenders were all friendly and eager to serve. The restaurants are nice, but the food quality is mediocre throughout. We ate at the asian, french, mexican and steakhouse restaurants. All were decent but nothing special. Service was good at each. Buffets provided plentiful choices but not a lot of really good food.

All in all this is a great resort with lots to see and do. The resort is beautiful and the staff is awesome.

Room Tip: 9000 section is fine if you're planning to spend your time at the adults pool, but the 8000 is a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Trent H
Dear Trent H,

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay in Sandos Playacar
We have shared your positive comments with Daniela & Jazmin and have congratulated both of them for a job well done.

We are glad that you received attentive service since we strive to provide every guest with an enjoyable experience.

We look forward to your next visit to our hotel. Again, thank you for your feedback.
Kind regards,
Finleyville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

Stayed here with 3 girlfriends from October 13-20, 2013 and although we had problems with our reservations which was made 5 months in advance, Josse Sielca at reception was able to resolve the mistake within 24 hours. We again found the employees friendly, always greeting us with a Hola, and asking if there was anything they can do to make our stay any more enjoyable. A special thanks to David E. Alvarez who catered to our drinks on the beach, remembering the drinks each of us were drinking for the day! He made our vacation such a happy and memorable one and miss his friendly smile! The a la carte restaurants accommodated me being a vegetarian and the Brazilian Restaurant is fantastic and our favorite, followed by the French one. We enjoyed the Cupcake Café each evening before retiring for the night! The housekeeping kept our rooms immaculate and we enjoyed the chocolate Kauala candy left on our pillow. We can't wait to return for the hospitality exceeds many of the resorts I have visited.

Room Tip: En.joyed the ocean view from Tower 2
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Channell
Dear Channell,

We are much honored to know that you enjoyed the Sandos Playacar Experience, our accommodations, meals, pool time, beach time, and social activities, all those details are part of our brand and the compromise that we have to offer to our guests.

David will be informed about your mention; we let him know how he helped to make your stay memorable.
Warm Regards,