“Fun Relaxing Family Vacation”

Sandos Playacar Beach Resort
Ranked #59 of 215 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We rarely do repeat vacations but we made an exception for Sandos Playcar as we had a wonderful family vacation last summer and wanted to repeat the experience. We knew this summer that we wanted to be at the beach section because it is close to everything and we don’t care that the rooms are older. When you are in paradise you don’t want to spend much time in your room anyway. We were in contact with Sandos prior to our arrival since we wanted to stay in the same room we had last year and we wanted to make our three specialty restaurant reservations ahead of time. Both Alex from the Call Center and Daniela from Web Relations were excellent and very responsive. When we got to the resort they could not accommodate our room request but instead had us in a room near the one we requested. This room did not have a day bed for our daughter but within no time this was resolved by bringing a single bed to the room which our daughter found very comfortable. It heavily rained one day and our room leaked in the bathroom. We wanted to be moved because the forecast called for more rain, but the front desk said the roof would be fixed so no need to move. By nightfall the ceiling was still leaking so they said we could move but we did not find the room offered acceptable (one of the few without a balcony and it had a very musty smell). They said more rooms would be available in the morning but we would need to be out of our original room prior to the new room being ready. We did not find this acceptable and said so. In the end we decided not to move which turned out fine since the forecasted rain never came.
Food/Entertainment: We have been to several all inclusives and by the end of the week we are typically very bored with the selection at the buffet and don’t want to go to another audience based show. This is not the case at Sandos. They have a very large selection at the buffet and though there were certain staples, items change daily. We really enjoyed the food at Sandos all week. We didn't feel there was enough staff at the buffets and service was hit or miss in terms of getting drinks and the dishes cleared. Sandos has an excellent Facebook page so we knew in advance what entertainment was occurring on what night, what we wanted to see and what we didn’t. This enabled us to book the specialty restaurants ahead of time. Thanks again, Daniela. The circus show in the theater was fabulous and we really enjoyed the Mexican theme night.
Beach/Pool: One of the most beautiful beaches we have come across in all our travels. Though our daughter preferred the pool, my husband and I spent all our days at the beach. We felt the waitress service was good and there were plenty of activities on the beach and near the pool, if you wanted to join in.
New additions: They have added a teen center, cupcake café, bagel bar, crepe station, smoothie bar (morning only) archery and miniature golf. All of which were very nice additions.
Staff: We found everyone to be very pleasant, helpful and customer oriented. We did feel there was more of a communication issue this year as opposed to last year.
Leaving: We called for a porter to take us and our luggage to the lobby but it started to get late so I walked up to the lobby because I was afraid our car service would leave. My husband called again for a porter but ultimately he and my daughter had to make their own way up to the lobby with all our the luggage. Since this is a long walk and it was hot this was not an enjoyable way to end our vacation.

Though we did have some issues, they were minor and Sandos Playacar is really a great resort, with great people and something for everyone. We all had a wonderful relaxing week long vacation and wish we could have stayed longer. We will strongly consider returning again next summer.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank vachkl2013
Sandos_Playacar, General Manager at Sandos Playacar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Dear vachkl2013,

I would like to extend warm and cordial regards on behalf of the Sandos Playacar family, and thank you for the time invested in posting your personal impressions of our hotel.

We are also very happy to hear that you were looking forward to returning to the hotel.

Do not hesitate to contact us prior to your arrival so we can assist with all pre arrival requests and be sure that your stay surpasses all expectations.
Warm regards.

director.playacar@sandos.com

Write a ReviewReviews (13,468)

Reviewed September 26, 2013

Well. This trip to Mexico wasn't definitely the best. In fact, it was the worst ever! I stayed at Sandos for the first time; I thought I wanted to experience something new besides another ecological resort.

My arrival to the resort wasn’t grand as their neighbor's lobbies. I thought that is OK. My room was miles away from the beach to the point I had to down class my "suite" so I could be near everything, (i.e., restaurants, the pool, the beach, entertainment, etc) so when I ask to be relocated they showed me an ocean view suite and I was completely
Exited they could offer me something really nice after seeing two miserable rooms, but when I came back to the lobby to approve my new room, they wanted to charge me $90 per day per person! I was really bothered because they never talked about a price change, and even the bell boy was puzzled because he did not expect that either! This nice room was available however they did not want to offer me the room at no extra cost when the resort had less of a third occupancy.

Like I said, I came back to Playacar because of its nature. We were very disappointed not see hardly any coatis, flamingos, macaw birds, turtles, ducks, etc I really seemed like they had gotten rid of them.

One thing we enjoyed was their food. I had read most of the reviews with this complaint and I was hesitant to experience the same thing. To our surprise, we really like the quality and the variety of international dishes even in their daily buffets.

One thing they REALLY need to work on is their beds and pillows. You are better of sleeping literally on stone. We all had the worst sleeping 9 days of our lives! :(

The drinks were OK. Not great. You have to ask for Bacardi when you want rum; otherwise they give you the cheapest alcohol ever! I had to throw away several drinks because I had forgotten to ask for Bacardi instead of what they served.

One of the biggest disappointments was the entertainment especially at night. Scale from 1-10, I give this resort a 3. The events at the theater are a waste of time for guests.
It is extremely poor, boring and not worth anything. I know many guys do try but unfortunately when you have seen other resort's entertainment especially at night, Sandos really sucks big time!

Not everything around the resort, I thought that was mediocre. The muffin café was excellent and had the greatest atmosphere. The pool I thought it was small but I kept in mind this was the original property and they kept expanding to what it is now.

I think I will continue to experience other resorts and even repeat my previous stays in Playacar except for Sandos Playacar. However, I am willing to try Sandos Caracol hopefully in the near future.

Room Tip: Keep asking for another room if you are not happy with the room or suite they offer you.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank doogiedesigns

Dear doogiedesigns,

I want to thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write your feedback regarding your visit.
Having read your comments I apologize for the unfortunate incidents you experiences in our facilities whilst staying with us. Rest assured that the comments of all our guests are very valuable to us and yours have been shared to be address internally.

As we strive for excellence, the hotel continuously invest to improve our facilities.

Please accept my sincere apologies for any shortcomings from our side during your stay with us. I do hope you will give preference to our hotel again at your next trip to the Riviera Maya and I would be delighted to welcome you back.

Tel: 984 877 40 40 Ext 4201
e-Mail: director.playacar@sandos.com

Reviewed September 24, 2013

we stayed here sept 11-sept15 it rained every day. not the hotels fault just a reality. in the rain the hotel was limited in what it offered. There is a game area with pool tables etc and a game room/ arcade with video and arcade games of course when it is raining these areas are very crowded. There is also a cupcake bar which serves cupcakes pasteries and sandwiches along with coffee and specialty drinks that was nice. the hotel is very spread out. From the lobby to the beach is a rather long walk. around a 1/2 mile, therefore if you have a room in the family or adult section as we did plan on 3 miles a day min walking. The buffet and main pools are down near the beach. Its not that much walking spread out over the day however in flip flops it does tend to be a pain. They do have shuttle service from the lobby and golf cart from nearby but we were never lucky enough to be there when the golf cart was, and only used the shuttle when it was raining because have to wait for it
The room was clean and had the usual amenities, also had a Jacuzzi tub that we never used, The shower over flowed into the bathroom every time we used it. The toilet stopped up twice.. The beds were overly hard. Our tv remote quit working. The view from our first floor room overlooked a pool and was pretty but was not very private as other guests were at right outside our patio.
The food at the Buffet was plentiful and varied but was hard to find things I enjoyed rather than could tolerate and I'm not that picky. The food in the ONE specialty restraunt we were allowed to eat at was excellent! It was the steak house.. If we had been allowed to eat the specialty places every night it would have made the buffet a lot more tolerable. The specialty restraunts were not crowded, this is a big way to improve this resort. Allow nightly seating.
The beach and ocean are definitely the best asset of this resort. The water is perfect, beach is clean and white sand. THIS is the reason we chose Sandos as we have stayed at the Riu palace before .
The pools are big and nice and they have a team of people getting tourists involved.
The bars are plentiful. and service was good.For the most part service was good throughout the resort.
Overall even with the rain we had a good time. The resort is in good condition, clean and beautiful. Lots of flora and fauna.
I would recommend asking for a room near the beach
I used scuba Libre the onsite dive center to book a dive. they scheduled me for a morning dive and a boat from nearby playa del Carmen picked me up. They don't have boats or a dock on site so keep that in mind. The sea was rough due to weather and was stressful getting on the boat in full gear chest deep water.
We have been to the Caribbean many times and this area a lot. We love playacar , will chose a different resort next time. Partly because we were slightly disappointed in the food and partly because we like to try new places.
If food is important to you and walking is a problem this is not for you. If beach and pools and ocean is more important this place is excellent.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank bevosbuddy

Dear bevosbuddy,

We would like to thank you for taking your time and sharing your experience with us were sorry to hear that the weather didn’t contribute to making your vacation a wonderful experience.

Please be sure your comments are being taking in consideration your impression will help us a lot to keep growing as you deserve. We hope you would like to honor us once more with your visit, thus giving us the chance to demonstrate that our commitment towards your satisfaction goes beyond mere words. We'll do our maximum effort not only to accomplish, but exceed your expectations.

Warm regards.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

We were at Sandos from Sept. 5-12 and we loved our experience there!!! We stayed in the adult only section since we were on an anniversary getaway and had a junior suite with the double wide Jacuzzi tub in the room. (Which we used a lot!!!) We were very pleased with the staff and how nice and friendly everyone was. We loved the beach and the how soft and fine the sand was. We borrowed the kayaks and used them and loved how clear and blue the water was. We enjoyed the French restaurant the most in our dining experience, however we loved all the food including the buffets. There was something for everyone and I couldn't get enough of the fresh chips and guacamole. :) We also had a couple days of rain and we would go the the cupcake café and have some hot chocolate and cheesecake or pecan pie. Since we wanted to fit in our clothes at the end of the week we decided to go try out the gym. We were very pleased with the facilities. We took the spinning classes almost every day from Adrien and he was great!! He was nice and gave us a great workout! I teach spinning classes in Utah and I picked up some new ideas from his classes!! We borrowed bikes and went for a ride to 5th avenue and that was fun too!! We would not only recommend this place, we will be back!!! :)

4  Thank Sherri C
Sandos_Playacar, General Manager at Sandos Playacar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Dear Sherri C,

We are much honored to know that you enjoyed the Sandos Playacar Experience, our accommodations, meals, pool time, beach time, and social activities, all those details are part of our brand and the compromise that we have to offer to our guests.

Adrien will be informed about your mention; we let them know how they helped to make your stay memorable.
Warm Regards,

Reviewed September 22, 2013

1. The grounds were nice and well kept.
2. Just because you requested a king bed in your reservation doesn't mean you will get one.(deal breaker) We did eventually get moved to a king. Our phone didn't work and our ceiling was leaking over the toilet.
3. Food, I felt was below average.
4. Water down alcohol.
5. I didn't find the staff that friendly and if you don't speak spanish you're really at a disadvantage.
6. Mostly likely will not return to Mexico, will stick to the Caribbean side next time.

1  Thank Pcwcen
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We were here in April and enjoyed our week. Grounds were nice, staff was friendly, bartenders were amazing! Although the buffet food was sometimes cold, we could always find something to satisfy us. Brazilian al a crate was our best meal. Nice walk down the beach to Playa, excellent location!! We have already recommended this resort to friends!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gr8Travelteam

Dear Gr8Travelteam,

We cannot thank you enough for adding another great review to our list. We appreciate you took the time to share your experience with the trip Advisor community and we are glad to know that we exceeded most of your expectations during your recent stay in Sandos Playacar.

Thank you also for recommending our property. We hope to see you again very soon !
Kind regards

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Just returned last week firstly we stayed in the junior suites adults only the first room we had water coming through the fan in bathroom also the room smelled badly of dampness asked to get moved this happened the next room was ok but as we spoke to different people this seams to be a problem in the rooms most people had been moved. Maid service not the best was not sweeped properly.In this area there was no food served for lunch only at bar some days weather permitting so you had to go down to the main plaza not ideal the restaurants had no air con we ate at the steak house twice both different first time excellent no probs the next time total different meal not good at all .the main buffet restaurant was busy food not bad service for drinks very slow for water etc many times had to get my own .Drinks seam to be watered down gave my drink back a few times in sports bar because of this. We had gold bands so we could go into premium bar drinks ok there but it closed at 10 .we have been in other hotels in Playacar before they have been better we tried it but will go somewhere else next time.

1  Thank Jimmy D

Dear Jimmy D,

Thank you for your comments. Your feed back is very important to us. It`s thanks to our guests comments that we can improve our services in order to provide a unique experience and guest satisfaction..

I kindly remain at your total disposal for any further comments.

Best Regards