We rarely do repeat vacations but we made an exception for Sandos Playcar as we had a wonderful family vacation last summer and wanted to repeat the experience. We knew this summer that we wanted to be at the beach section because it is close to everything and we don’t care that the rooms are older. When you are in paradise you don’t want to spend much time in your room anyway. We were in contact with Sandos prior to our arrival since we wanted to stay in the same room we had last year and we wanted to make our three specialty restaurant reservations ahead of time. Both Alex from the Call Center and Daniela from Web Relations were excellent and very responsive. When we got to the resort they could not accommodate our room request but instead had us in a room near the one we requested. This room did not have a day bed for our daughter but within no time this was resolved by bringing a single bed to the room which our daughter found very comfortable. It heavily rained one day and our room leaked in the bathroom. We wanted to be moved because the forecast called for more rain, but the front desk said the roof would be fixed so no need to move. By nightfall the ceiling was still leaking so they said we could move but we did not find the room offered acceptable (one of the few without a balcony and it had a very musty smell). They said more rooms would be available in the morning but we would need to be out of our original room prior to the new room being ready. We did not find this acceptable and said so. In the end we decided not to move which turned out fine since the forecasted rain never came.
Food/Entertainment: We have been to several all inclusives and by the end of the week we are typically very bored with the selection at the buffet and don’t want to go to another audience based show. This is not the case at Sandos. They have a very large selection at the buffet and though there were certain staples, items change daily. We really enjoyed the food at Sandos all week. We didn't feel there was enough staff at the buffets and service was hit or miss in terms of getting drinks and the dishes cleared. Sandos has an excellent Facebook page so we knew in advance what entertainment was occurring on what night, what we wanted to see and what we didn’t. This enabled us to book the specialty restaurants ahead of time. Thanks again, Daniela. The circus show in the theater was fabulous and we really enjoyed the Mexican theme night.
Beach/Pool: One of the most beautiful beaches we have come across in all our travels. Though our daughter preferred the pool, my husband and I spent all our days at the beach. We felt the waitress service was good and there were plenty of activities on the beach and near the pool, if you wanted to join in.
New additions: They have added a teen center, cupcake café, bagel bar, crepe station, smoothie bar (morning only) archery and miniature golf. All of which were very nice additions.
Staff: We found everyone to be very pleasant, helpful and customer oriented. We did feel there was more of a communication issue this year as opposed to last year.
Leaving: We called for a porter to take us and our luggage to the lobby but it started to get late so I walked up to the lobby because I was afraid our car service would leave. My husband called again for a porter but ultimately he and my daughter had to make their own way up to the lobby with all our the luggage. Since this is a long walk and it was hot this was not an enjoyable way to end our vacation.
Though we did have some issues, they were minor and Sandos Playacar is really a great resort, with great people and something for everyone. We all had a wonderful relaxing week long vacation and wish we could have stayed longer. We will strongly consider returning again next summer.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa is an all-Inclusive hotel in Playa del Carmen with both family and adult sections. We are ideally located on a magnificent white sandy beach in the gated community of Playacar, within walking distance to downtown Playa and Fifth Avenue. Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa is located only forty-five minutes from the Cancun International Airport, and the pier serving ferries to Cozumel is a short distance from our property.Playacar is a private, master-planned community situated on the southern edge of downtown Playa del Carmen. Guests at Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa enjoy this exclusive community’s impressive infrastructure, including an 18-hole golf course designed by Robert Von Hagge, the Xaman-Ha Aviary, pristine biking paths, and Mayan ruins, accessible to the public for hiking.Riviera Maya is a protected region where many remaining artifacts from the fascinating Mayan civilization can be found. Surrounded by Mayan archeological zones, such as those at Tulum, Coba, and Chicen-Itza, this Playa del Carmen hotel successfully preserves a strong sense of Mayan culture onsite, adding an authentic feel and flavor to the vacation experience in Playacar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, HotelsforEveryone, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sandos Playacar Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandos Playacar Beach Hotel
- Hotel Sandos Playacar Beach
- Beach Playacar Resort Sandos
- Sandos Playacar Resort
- Sandos Playa Del Carmen
- Gala Resort Playacar
- Sandos Gala Playacar
- Sandos Playacar Mexico
- Sandos Resort
- Playacar Sandos