“Average, not great”

Sandos Playacar Beach Resort
Ranked #61 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
“Average, not great”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I was expecting more from this hotel based on other reviews. I went with my family, including my 1 year old daughter, and we got a room on the adult section, so we had to walk about 7 minutes to get to the pool, beach and restaurants area. You also have the option to wait for the golf cart to move from one place to the other, but sometimes takes a while. Is not easy to get reservations on some of the restaurants, you have to do it 2 or 3 days in advance to get a table between 8pm and 9pm. Steam room at the Spa did not work during our stay, and neither the elevator to get to the reception area (very inconvenient when you're around with a stroller). The food was somewhere between average and good in the restaurants, but we ordered room service dinner and it was extremely bad. Hotel location is good, rooms are clean, the sofa is very convenient for families with 2 or 3 kids, several activities during the day, friendly employees most of them. Next time I would try another option to stay.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank GQtravelworld
Sandos_Playacar, General Manager at Sandos Playacar Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear GQtravelworld,

Thank you for your comments. Your feed back is very important to us. It`s thanks to our guests comments that we can improve our services in order to provide a unique experience and guest satisfaction.

We hope you would like to honor us once more with your visit, thus giving us the chance to demonstrate that our commitment towards your satisfaction goes beyond mere words. We'll do our maximum effort not only to accomplish, but exceed your expectations.

I kindly remain at your total disposal for any further comments.

Best Regards

Director Hotel
director.playacar@sandos.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,808)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Manahawkin, New Jersey
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed at Sandos for my step daughters wedding. She picked that resort because she thought someone in the family was bringing children.Since we were staying in the Adults only section, we had a special desk to check in at. We thought this would speed up the check in process but it didnt. For some reason, it took forever to check in. We were told that we could move to a 2nd floor room the next day. I thought this was a strange thing to tell us until we got to our room. We were near the pool and the room smelled very strongly of mold. I could see mold along the molding near the floor. We went back to the front desk to ask to be moved. They said there were no rooms but after telling them that we were allergic to mold- they found a room on the 2nd floor. This room was much better than the first but still had a slight mold smell to it. There were a total of 32 of us staying at the hotel all checking in at different times. Just about everyone had problems at checkin and/or with thier room. The first floor rooms all seemed to smell- it was so bad I was choking when I went back to get my suitcase.
The hotel is set up backwards with the Adult section being the farthest away from the beach. The kid section is right on the beach.
The food was pretty good for an all inclusive.
The staff- some were good, others not so much. This is the first place that I have stayed in Mexico where the staff was not consistently friendly. All other places I have stayed in Mexico, the staff was amazing, super friendly and always helpful. This staff had a lot of unhappy people.
Restaurants-we made reservations at the Mexican place and a few other people wanted to join us. They wouldnt let us add to our reservation. We thought it was because they were busy but the place was more than half empty the entire time we were there. The Japanese place wouldnt let us push two tables together when there were empty tables throughout the restaurant. I have never been in a place that tells their guests no. Over and over again they said NO.
On the plus side they have a Trap Neuter Return program for the cats on the property. This is completely awesome and the cats are cared for by hotel staff. The people that run the TNR program are volunteers and are doing this at other hotels in the area. Usually there are tons of cats at Mexican resorts. I thank Sandos for thier forward thinking and humane way of dealing with the cats. :)
Spa-the spa is beautiful. I had a massage which wasn't as good as one you would get here in the states but it was relaxing and the staff was pleasant. Beware of signing up for a massage on the beach. The price I was quoted was not what they charged me at the end.
The wedding- most important was the wedding and it was beautiful. The weather was perfect and the food was delicious. It was everything that my stepdaughter wanted and more.

Overall we had a great time. The hotel needs to work HARD on thier customer service at the front desk. Check in should be quick and painless. They need to talk to the staff about making eye contact with guests and saying hello as they walk by. Some did and most didnt.

Room Tip: If you stay in the Adults only section, ask for the 2nd floor and away from the main pool. They have...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Robbie9632
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed September 3, 2013

From the first day on we loved this resort. Everything was so great and the location is just beautiful can't belive that I didn't find this resort earlier. Everybody was super friendly and we really enjoyed to talk to the staff. Special thanks to the girl from Europe, Kiani - we met her nearly every day and she helped us to find our way around and gave us great tips for daytrips. Further more, our kids had a blast with the great girls from the kids Club. The shows - amazing!!! But the best was the clear ocean and white beach - paradise. Our vacation at Sandos PlayaCar was simply way to short but we will come back soon.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Stefanie H,

I would like to extend warm and cordial regards on behalf of the Sandos Playacar family, and thank you for the time invested in posting your personal impressions of our hotel.

I will extend your regards to Kiani, thank you for your positive reviews. Your comments are really appreciated; reviews like this one motivate us to keep up the hard work.

Looking forward to your next visit to this “Su Casa”

Kindest Wishes,
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 3, 2013

By far, the best thing about this hotel is the warm and friendly staff. That makes a huge difference!

We stayed at beautiful and clean rooms at the beach. The 'camaristas' Rosalinda and Carmen did an extraordinary job cleaning and organizing the three rooms that my family and I occupied in the 1300 level. My wife and I loved the 'towel sculptures' that changed everyday!

All the staff at the buffet were friendly and always smiling! . . . it was a pleasure to visit the buffet (unfortunately I cannot remember names to mention here . . . sorry). I have to say though, that the meal is very good but not excellent.

The 'Restoran Mediterraneo' was fantastic. Excellent food and nice staff. Its 'Capitán' (Marco) was efficient and friendly. The cook (Carlos) and the waitress (Santa) made the difference attending a big family like mine with a delicious meal.

I would also like to mention the fantastic food at the Italian Restaurant. We were fortunate enough to be helped by a nice and friendly waiter (Nelson).

My kids and I love the cupcake cafe! . . . lovely Frapuccinos and friendly staff.

The entertaining team was incredible. In special Jaime! He is the best! We had a fantastic time dancing, singing, and laughing in all activities organized by this team (Vanessa was good organizing the archery tournament) and the manager (sadly I forgot his name) was fun and nice.

Daily shows were very good. In particular I would like to mention the rock band (wow . . . incredible good) and the folkloric group that performed native dances. Simply extraordinary!

The beach is incredible, amazing . . . stunning. This Hotel is the last one in Playacar so it has a long and beautiful beach. In my opinion the best beach of Playacar by far!

My advise to other travellers: please bring Mexican cash to give tips to the excellent staff. They NEVER asked for a tip, but they clearly deserve it!

The second day we were invited to know the hotel in a tour. It turned out that it was not a tour but a 'sales activity'. The salesman was friendly and nice. However, we spent almost the whole morning in this unwanted activity! Please be aware that you will be offered a membership and it could take the whole morning!

Finally, in my opinion the colours of the buildings need to be more 'Mexican stile'. If we compare the outside look of this hotel with other hotels of the area, it clearly needs to be updated. I also missed Mexican music and Mexican environment. We travelled to Mexico to get in touch with the country, its people and culture and I think we have too little of it at the Hotel. The Mariachis need to improve!

Bottom line: Fantastic experience in particular because of the friendly staff and the amazing beach! I totally recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms that look at the pool are noisier. Rooms at the beach side are closer to restaurants, buffet a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Rene A
Dear Rene A,

While extending cordial regards from this “Su Casa” Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa, I would like to thank you for posting this kind review, and sharing the wonderful experience you had during your stay.

We are glad to know that our services exceeded your holiday expectations, thank you for recognizing our hard working staff. I am filled with pride knowing their hospitality and service made your stay the more pleasurable.

Rest assured that your review is valuable to us and the further development of our hotel, by the time you visit us again you will be able to admire many positive changes that have come from our guest comments, with the sole objective of heightening your experiences. We thank you for highlighting our attributes as well as your recommendations.

We hope to have the honor of serving you for third time.

Kindest Wishes,
hudson
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Have stayed at this property twice and was treated great, the adult section was well maintained, the food was very good and the entertainment crew worked hard, look forward to our next visit.
The location to playa and fifth street makes it easy to go shopping.
We were treated like kings and queen, so try it you won't be disappointed

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear ralph p,

We cannot thank you enough for adding another great review to our list. We appreciate you took the time to share your experience with the trip Advisor community and we are glad to know that we exceeded most of your expectations during your recent stay in Sandos Playacar.

Thank you also for recommending our property. We hope to see you again very soon !
Kind regards

Director Hotel
Hawkesbury, Canada
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We’re just back from our 6th trip to Sandos Playacar, this time it was for our 20th wedding anniversary and it just keep getting better and better each time.
The resort is stunning with beautiful grounds. Beach is spectacular with fine white sand and turquoise water. Rooms are very large and the Haciendas are our favourite.
Food was in ample quantity with large variety. We really liked El Gaucho, the Mexican and the Italian. I spend a lot of time at the Cup Cake Café, the coffees and desserts are so delicious!
We also had a special romantic dinner at the beach, we really enjoyed it!

The pool area tends to be more families with younger kids. At times a little loud but no big deal. The entertainment staff certainly worked hard to keep the visitors active and involved. It is a great people watching spot.
We’ve been going to this hotel since 2010, a lot of the same staff is still working there.
I would like to give a special mention to some of them…
Maria Jimenez at the guest service, she’s very helpful and always smiling at you.
Daniela Delgado and Kiani Pittius from the social medias, these girls are taking care of your special requests and gives you all the latest updates on what’s happening at the resort and also can pre book your restaurants prior arrival, they do a great job!
Lupita, the wedding coordinator is also doing a great job, for small or big wedding she’ll plan everything for you.
David at the members pool, Armando at the VIP lounge, Rodrigo and Gustavo at the Select Club. Gabriel, barman manager. They are all nice persons, always ready to serve you.
In the Royal Elite staff a special thanks to Gustavo at the reservation department for his patience, then Sofia and Anna at the customer service, they are very nice.
Housekeeping was excellent overall and always made sure the mini-bar in the room was restocked each day. Sorry I can’t remember the name of our housekeeper, from Hacienda #70.
Already planning our next trip in January 
Keep up the good works guys!

Room Tip: Hacienda 1 bedroom suites
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Superdeluxe hotel, great service and great food! Everything you need they have it! Enough swimmingpools, wifi and roomservice 24/7 for free.minibar filled every day for free as well...i'm going back there that's for sure

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Nielsbianca
Dear Nielsbiaca,

Thank you for letting us know how perfect your stay was, we will be more than happy to have the opportunity to host you again very soon and give you once again the good service you have already experienced.

Please feel free to contact us.
Warm Regards,