My fiancé & I travelled to Sandos Playacar mid May 2013. We went before the rainy season (June-Sept) according to our TC travel agent. We were really glad we did. We had SUN SUN SUN & only 1 (warm-tropical) rainstorm the day before we left. We arrived early afternoon and were transferred by our TC transport (45 mins) to the resort. We were one of the last ones to get off the coach but it was worth it! Sandos is one of the last resorts on the Playacar strip, literally the jungle is next door. Check in was quick, really no problem for us. Our luggage was transported to our room and we followed by shuttle to our block (1300). Our room had a side view to the pool/beach. It was PERFECT. We could see the glorious turquoise sea & white sandy beach as well as part of the pool. We overlooked the little Mayan ruin by the top end of the pool and gazebo. I had emailed the resort beforehand (Giovanni) and told them that we were celebrating our 11 year anniversary and when we opened our room door were greeted with a lovely fruit platter & bucket of champagne. WOW. We did a once over of our room and we were pleasantly surprised. Air conditioning worked well, shower was powerful, & bed was comfy (a little hard but comfy). The grounds are beautiful, well kept & maintained. The restaurants are lovely to eat in. We ate in 3, Mexican, Italian & French (MY Fav). They could have had a bit more air conditioning in them but it wasn't too bad. The grand buffet, bagel bar, beach bar & cupcake café were all ok. We visited the cupcake café nearly everyday for coffee, lattes & iced lattes. Not to mention the mini pecan pies, lemon meringue pies & carrot cakes were very tasty. There was free wifi in the cupcake café and around the meeting point. They truly have all kinds of foods to choose from, you can have your food grilled & cooked to your liking. We had made to order omelettes, pancakes, crepes etc. There was an abundance of fresh fruit & veg, salads, salsa & guacamole. Puddings & desserts are to die for. I had chips n salsa everyday with my lunch!! I really don't think you'd go hungry. Something for everyone. There was themed nights in the grand buffet and our favourite was the Mexican night. We truly loved all the choices. Dress code was very relaxed in the buffet (shirts required though & flip flops ok) Evening time meals we made more effort. Little flowy sun dresses with strappy shoes & long shorts & t-shirts/shirts. Restaurants require a bit more effort in your dress but that's to be expected really. We visited the Spa and we both had treatments. Couples massage & facials - ahhhh. The gym, spa & whole area was lovey. We walked around the resort a lot to familiarise ourselves with all it has to offer, which is A LOT. There's wildlife all over the place. We were greeted our 1st morning by the howler monkeys, right outside our door. The whole family was there, they had an infant howler - adorable. Look but don't touch. There weren't many kids there at the time we went (schools were still in) but they had an abundance of kids facilities. Entertainment was ok. Drinks were perfect. If you are not happy with your drink you simply ask for another one. We had no problem. They do have top shelf liquor, just ask for it. People are soooooo friendly here. We often said to ourselves, WOW these people are so friendly. I've never seen so many smiley faces. Really nice to see. I used my Spanish and they were very impressed that I was trying to speak their language. They also spoke English, bit broken but enough to get by.
The Beach was gorgeous. What else can we say, turquoise blue sea & white sand with NO seaweed. Fish were swimming all around us, even barracudas!! We brought our own snorkels and masks which was very convenient. We had no problem with loungers at all. Drinks were delivered but not regularly. I didn't mind walking around and getting my own. Probably could have had 1 more person on the beach taking drink orders. Poor Yasmin??? She worked really hard all day long.
We booked 5 trips/excursions whilst there with our TC rep. We went on a catamaran to Isle Mujeres, Paradise Island for the day & snorkelled on the reef. We went to Akumol & turtle beach snorkelling & Chikin-Ha cenotes. We also went to Chichen Itza & Ik Kil Cenote (WOW WOW) - this was a fully day excursion but well worth it. We went to Xcaret Park - the evening show is a MUST, truly fabulous. We were dolphin 'trainer for the day' at Delphinus Xel Ha (our highlight of our trip, truly magnificent!!). Next time not so many excursions as we want to laze around in the hammocks more and enjoy a more relaxed pace.
All in all, we had a wonderful time at Sandos Beach Resort & Spa. Friendly people, good food, lovely scenery, very welcoming. We've told all our family & friends about Sandos and hopefully they can visit too.
Your holiday is what you make it. We made ours FUN at Sandos. We will be back next May !!
daju66 in the UK
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa is an all-Inclusive hotel in Playa del Carmen with both family and adult sections. We are ideally located on a magnificent white sandy beach in the gated community of Playacar, within walking distance to downtown Playa and Fifth Avenue. Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa is located only forty-five minutes from the Cancun International Airport, and the pier serving ferries to Cozumel is a short distance from our property.Playacar is a private, master-planned community situated on the southern edge of downtown Playa del Carmen. Guests at Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa enjoy this exclusive community’s impressive infrastructure, including an 18-hole golf course designed by Robert Von Hagge, the Xaman-Ha Aviary, pristine biking paths, and Mayan ruins, accessible to the public for hiking.Riviera Maya is a protected region where many remaining artifacts from the fascinating Mayan civilization can be found. Surrounded by Mayan archeological zones, such as those at Tulum, Coba, and Chicen-Itza, this Playa del Carmen hotel successfully preserves a strong sense of Mayan culture onsite, adding an authentic feel and flavor to the vacation experience in Playacar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TravelUp, Travelocity, Cancelon, HotelsforEveryone, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Sandos Playacar Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandos Playacar Beach Hotel
- Hotel Sandos Playacar Beach
- Beach Playacar Resort Sandos
- Sandos Playacar Resort
- Sandos Playa Del Carmen
- Gala Resort Playacar
- Sandos Gala Playacar
- Sandos Playacar Mexico
- Sandos Resort
- Playacar Sandos