“Very Good after initial poor impression” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sandos Playacar Beach Resort

Sandos Playacar Beach Resort
Ranked #59 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Charleston, South Carolina
“Very Good after initial poor impression”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed at Sandos Playacar back in late May, and the first impressions were not good. We arrived early before check-in and our room was not ready, which is fine. However, the front desk staff were trainees and did a poor job of explaining anything, as in, where to eat, where to put luggage, basically everything. It's just a bit disconcerning when all you want is a drink and a pool. Luckily, everything got better once we got in our rooms.

We were in the Adults-Only wing, which definitely is the way to go. I love the beach, but my wife likes sitting by the pool with shade. We split time back and forth, but the adults-only pool was much better. Fun group, nice pool bar (the only pool bar), etc. The adults-only area also comes with a breakfast buffet that is exclusive to that area, which is nice. The walk/ride to the beach is pretty far, but it's not unbearable and the guys do their best to go back and forth on the carts as quick as possible.

The food was decent, it wasn't great, the Mexican theme night was really good as were the Brazilian and Mediterranean restaurants. It would be nice to have some more al a carte meals around the pool, although the ceviche/guac was pretty solid by the adults pool. The service was good, although I believe a bit understaffed.

All in all, it was a good trip in the end after the initial setback.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank adamj2281
Sandos_Playacar, General Manager at Sandos Playacar Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear adamj2281,

Thank you for your comments. Your feed back is very important to us. It`s thanks to our guests comments that we can improve our services in order to provide a unique experience and guest satisfaction.

We hope you would like to honor us once more with your visit, thus giving us the chance to demonstrate that our commitment towards your satisfaction goes beyond mere words. We'll do our maximum effort not only to accomplish, but exceed your expectations.

I kindly remain at your total disposal for any further comments.

Best Regards

Director Hotel
director.playacar@sandos.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,759)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

This was our third time at Sandos Playacar. The food, rooms, beach and cleanliness are always top notch but what we enjoy most is the Entertainment Staff. Victor, Jaimie, Helamon, Mauricio, Christian, Joakin and the rest of them made out short ten days there so enjoyable. They are honest , sincere and respectful at the same time they are silly and fun. I've been to other resorts and have never been more satisfied as I am at Sandos. The staff is why we come back year after year. Oh! Also the bartenders are awesome! They are fast and busy but never are in a bad mood. Can't wait to come back next year.

1 Thank nicstone1
Sandos_Playacar, General Manager at Sandos Playacar Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear nicstone1,

Thank you for letting us know how perfect your stay was, we will be more than happy to have the opportunity to host you again very soon and give you once again the good service you have already experienced.

Please feel free to contact us.

Lafayette, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

My wife and I just returned from a week stay at Sandos Playacar. I feel like my expectations were exceeded in about every way. We had a great week. At check-in we were asked by timeshare staff to receive an overview of the hotel. I declined and said we were hungry. The timeshare staff member was upset with this but did not try and detain us. She told us to come back later. We were never bothered again with this. We did receive a notice on our door to meet with them one night at 7pm but we ignored it. Simply am not interested whatsoever in time shares.

Our room was in the adults only section. We had a room that was pool side on the first floor. This worked out great for us. we wanted to not be bothered by children and this was an excellent place to be. The rooms air conditioning did not work well but was fixed within an hour of bringing it to the attention of the hotel. After it was fixed the room was very cool. The room floors are made of marble and help keep you cool. The bathrooms are modern and clean. There is a small balcony to hang wet clothes or to sit out on in the evening. There is a water cooler in the room which is a really great feature. The fridge was always stocked well and the cleaning staff was exceptional.

The adult pool outisde our room was beautiful and clean with many palapas and longers available. There is a great swim up bar. The pool itself serves about three buildings but is probably 200 yards long! Beautiful pool.

The staff at this hotel is exceptional. They try very hard to meet your needs and we were very impressed with waiters, house staff, entertainment staff, etc. All were friendly. I took about $50 in one dollar bills and tipped regularly. From what I could tell tipping is never expected from any staff but certainly appreciated. The service was so exceptional I simply felt it was a good thing to do.

The beach is indeed a very long way from the adult section but as many have said the walk is beautiful through shaded areas with wildlife and interesting plants to admire. The grounds are well cared for and cleaned. There are golf carts that come regularly and when we chose to wait for one the wait was short and our needs for transport accomodated. But seriously, the walk is fine if you are reasonably fit. About 7-8 minutes to the meeting point and another 3-4 to the beach from there.

The beach is incredible. This is what you come for. The beach. Soft, white sand that is clean and free from rocks. Great wait staff. Plenty of shaded areas. Warm water. Lots of activity or no activity if you like. There is a little food and drink area on the beach so you dont have to leave the beach to find food or drink. Great idea. We basically spent the first half of the day on the beach and then returned to the adults only pool each afternoon. We always went to the adults only portion of the beach and it was quiet there.

We are in our 50's and want to stay fit so we tend to workout daily. Sandos Playacar has an excellent workout room located in the spa. There were 5 Life Fitness treadmills and lots of bikes and steppers and free weights. There are spinning classes daily. The room is very large and air conditioned. We worked out every single day and combined with the walks did not gain weight while on vacation! The spa has a nice adults only pool with hot tubs. We also took advantage of the spa for a nice long 80 minute masssage. Yes, even with discounts the spa massages are more expensive than what you will pay at home but the experience was first class all the way. We were extremely pleased in every aspect of the spa.

The final area to speak about is food. This is where the resort has room to improve. It is simply a quality issue. I disagree with many who complain about the variety. There is plenty of choices....but the quality is just not there for this type of resort. My expectations were that it would be similar to a cruise experience. The amount of food is similar to a cruise but the quality was not. We ate at the French restaurant and this was the best of our experience. We ate at El Gaucho steak house and it was ok. We ate at the Medeterranean and it was ok. I wish I could say excellent but it just wasnt there. We also ate at the Italian and I found this to be disappointing. We had breakfast each day at El Gauchos in the adult section and I think the breakfast was the best meals. Plenty of variety. Adults only so no kids running around the restaurant.

On the final day we were not leaving until 3pm but checkout was at noon. No problem. We checked our luggage with the front desk. We were allowed to continue using the resort. We spent the day at the beach and then used the wonderful shower facilities at the spa to clean up for our flight home. The staff was exceptional.

Overall I found the resort exceed our expectations. This was a 30th anniversary trip for my wife and I and we had a great week. We found the value to be there for our dollars. We were fortunate to not be pressured to buy a timeshare (would seriously been a waste of our time and theirs as we would never do this). Good job Sandos. Someday we will return.

Room Tip: The Junior Riviera Suites in the adults only section are THE choice for couples. Dont worry about d...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JKL1
Dear JKL1,

We would like to thank you for your review published on Trip Advisor.

It honors us to receive such a compliment and encourages us to continue exceeding our clients’ expectations.

We really appreciate you taking the time to let us know we are providing a good service.
We look forward to welcome you back next year for your 2nd visit .

Please do not hesitate to contact us prior to your arrival so we can assist with all pre arrival requests and be sure that your stay surpasses all expectations.

Pueblo West, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

I would not recommend Sandols for singles. Sandols has some issues. Service can be approved. I try to make the most if all vacations and have stayed all over the world including all over Mexico. The food needs help, it is always cold and not very tasty. It becomes old quick. The service does not live up to most Mexican standards. The good thing the beach is great. If you stay in the adult select club have your walking shoes ready. The golf carts do not run very offen. Please be advised that what is offered may not be what you will get. Simple things like slippers.

1 Thank bcdewitt
Dear bcdewitt,

On a behalf of the Staff and Management here at Sandos Playacar Beach Resort and Spa we would like to thank you for your review. However, we feel sorry that our Hotel didn’t meet your expectation.

We assure you that improvement, in all our services are an ongoing process and our priority is guests’ satisfaction. We do hope to have another opportunity in the near future, to make your holiday unforgettable. If you decide to give us another chance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best Regards,

Director General
Hotel Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & SPA
E-Mail: director.playacar@sandos.com
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

I will start by saying that I'm a RE member however I'm harder on my reviews and critique just about all that could be improved and or needs attention. I've been coming to this resort with my family for the past 4 years and have yet to be dissatisfied. There are many excellent venues to chose from in the mayan riviera as well as other resorts in playacar as well.
So why Sandos? Why is this place so unique? Why do members and non members keep coming back? Let's face it, you can go anywhere in the world, go to any restaurant, bathe in any pool, sleep in the most luxurious of rooms and still...have food that may not be to your specific liking, sleep in an uncomfortable position and wake up in pain the next morning, not put on enough sunscreen and get a nasty burn.
What you get here is quite unique though....caring, respectful, truly warm hearted working individuals that do the most noble of jobs....they serve! They work harder than most any staff I've seen. They do it with a smile, they do it with kindness, they are rarely recognized or applauded but folks, these are incredible human beings.
For those of us that keep coming back to this place, what is mesmerizing is not the beach, though it is the best in the area and among the best in the world. It's not the cupcake cafe, though it will bring the all mighty and power full Starbucks to its knees it so surpasses it. It's not the arcade, where I lost my son for hours as he made new friends he hung out with throughout our stay. It's not the Asian, Argentinian, Mediterranean, Brazilian, or even the French restaurants, where all meals were decadent and many desserts sinful. It was not the members only pool where drinks are butler served and it keeps flowing without end. And nope, not even the spa with its wonderful array of therapeutic pools.
It was....Lidia at the spa that made the difference by identifying areas that needed attention and revitalizing me after a session.
It was.... Rodrigo, at the members only pool who I didn't have to ask for a drink and just changed out my caipiroska cause the ice magical melted (here ice defies the laws of physics, you'll know what I mean when you go).
It was... Gloria at the Asian and the captains in at the Brazilian, Argentinian and Asian restaurants that surprised the heck out of our group making every meal memorable ones.
It was Rosy Canche, Ana and Sonia at Royal Elite who accommodated our group to ensure we were close, and sent special recognition to one of our family members for it was their anniversary.
It was Gustavo the bar manager that showed why he's a class act directing all bar staff ensuring proper treatment off all guests as he himself would do it when he was at the members only pool for years.
It was...Alberta our housekeeper that ensure hospital level cleanliness in our room as well as kept us wondering how did she do that??? with so many different types of towel puppets. Some that even defied physical properties of a towel but we're amazing. She should write a book.
It was...Fabian at the many bars, Isiris at the bell stand, Sadu at the beach, and so many other countless individuals who I can go on and on and on about.
In short, it was the people and continues to be the people that keeps me as well as others coming back.
As is in life, the biggest room in the world is that of improvement and there are some areas that I'm certain are already being looked at by the new general manager Ivan Tapia whom I had the pleasure of meeting and made an impact with me as he too is genuinely caring of all guests.
Yes there are only 2 golf carts and should be more, yes some buildings need a bit of tlc and this is a constant fight with mother nature for the climate mix in the area is quite severe. Yes some rooms need updating and I noticed countless brand new hdtv's being placed in rooms and on the hallways of the resort as well as much painting going on in the haciendas and other places.
It is nice to see that every year I return, I truly return to my second home. As such, I am embraced by those I know and welcome new faces as I get to know them.
If you want to spend a vacation where you will experience the finest money has to offer, All the luxury and every whim adhering to your taste fulfilled....this may not be tour place. However...should you wish to feel pampered, enjoy a trip of a lifetime as well as meet amazing people that will gladly take care of you and your family ensuring and excellent vacation, and make you want to come back for more and make you truly feel you're in your home...don't give it a second thought. you've found your slice of heaven on earth, as I did. Thank you all at Sandos for making it as enjoyable as always. My family and I will be back soon.

3 Thank 305travelguru
Dear 305travelguru,

We would like to thank you for your review published on Trip Advisor.

Lidia, Rodrigo, Rosy, Ana, Sonia, Gustavo, Fabian and Alberta, will be informed about your mention; we let them know how they helped to make your stay memorable.

We look forward to welcome you back next year for your 5th visit .

Liverpool, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

I am writing this after returning from a 15 night stay at this resort. This was our first time in Mexico and with so many hotels to choose from I was apprehensive we may not have picked the correct one - I need not have worried!

Pool/Beach
4 pools including the royal elite, if you dont have kids its worth upgrading to the adults only section as its quieter and has a swim up bar! The beach is stunning and being the last in the line of hotels to the right you can walk for half a mile or so in completely untouched land where the turtles lay their eggs!

Food/drink
I am a super fussy eater, we have been all inclusive in other hotels and I have always wanted to eat out but not this time! With 6 A La Carte restuarants (3 visits per week), 2 buffet restaurants including an Itlian which are open every day, 3 snack bars, a bagel shop and coffee shop I never went hungry! Always something for everyone and with so much choice you dont need to eat in the same place twice in a week unless you actually want to!! Premium spirits were on offer throughout the hotel, we fully took advantage of this and has tequila shots and cocktails every day! Bars are open until midnight when the disco takes over, we did go there one night and it was fun if thats your kind of thing! The a la caret restuarants were all good but I have to say the Rodizio was out of this world and we even ate there twice during our stay!

Rooms/Hotel facilities
The adults only section have jacuzzi{s in the rooms that can fit 2 people! They are furnished toa high standard with the minibar fridge and air con as you would expect. We had a lovely room overlooking the pool which had a seperate seating area and a flat screen TV, fab!!

Hotel General/Location
The hotel was of a high standard, walking around you always see the maintenance staff tending to plants or with general upkeep of the hotel. We had a minor issue with the safe in our room which was resolved immediately. The hotel is large and the walk from the adults only section to the meeting point (for buffet and eveneing entertainment) was around 10 mins, or an extra 5 mins to the beach. Honestly this was not a probelm, there are 2 golf buggy shuttles which run from 7am until 11pm every day but there is sometimes a short wait for these as they only have 7 seats, we walked more often than not and it was a lovely walk, well signñosted through some gardens with piped music. It also gave us an opportunity to see the wildlife, ponies, monkeys, iguanas, cats and coatis! Not overrun with them but a pleasant surprise to see when walking. On the way to this hotel you will drive past some others which look very impressive, i wouldnt say this hotel had the same wow factor, but with the extensive facilities, size of the property and the amazing staff i am so glad we chose here.

Tips
its 70 pesos to get to 5th avenue which is the main shopping place in PDC
There is a walmart there, take a taxi there and buy what you need to, this will still be cheaper than the shops
Shop around for trips and souveniers, we did the trip to Coba and Tulum and to the Cenote and swimming with turtles at Akumal (both highly recommended) and managdto get $50 per person off the original price
Take american dollars, pesos are widely used but the price quoted is often in dollars so you lose out when they convert it back to pesos

Special mentions
We are not the kind of people who go on holiday to make friends, not that we are anti social (!!) but the entertainment doesnt normally interest us. However I have to say that at this hotel Jaoquim and the entertainment team work tirelessly what feels like 24/7 to make sure you have a good time. It really makes the difference espcially on an all includive vaction such as this.
We also received some expectional service, and these hardworkers strood out to us in our trip
Eduardo Guatiza - waiter in the Rodizio restuarant
Guistavo Alverez and Theresa in the Lobby premium bar who make the BEST international cocktails
Rodriguez and Antonio the drivers of the gold buggys who manage to keep a smile on their faces and are always happy to offer advice and chat on the rides around the grounds!!

If you are thinking of booking this hotel, please dont hesitate, like I said I am one of the fussiest people I know and I would recommend this hotel to anyone. In fact I would love to go back there again right now!!!!!

Thanks Sandos for an unforgettable holiday - hopefully we will be back!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Nutytart
Dear Nutytart,

We cannot thank you enough for adding another great review to our list.

We appreciate you took the time to share your experience with the trip Advisor community and we are glad to know that we exceeded most of your expectations during your recent stay in Sandos Playacar.

Thank you also for recommending our property. We hope to see you again very soon !

Kind regards

Director Hotel
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

With the family in a Hacienda suite and loving it. Found my oasis at the Premium Club every afternoon, with Fabian hand-shaking margaritas in the a/c -- a great respite from the sun. We also love Dominga in the main buffet. Every morning, she welcomes us with a smile and great service. Jaime keeps an eye on the mini-golf course and my 7-year-old insists we play every day.

Dear pbehle,

While extending warm regards from this “Su casa”, Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa, I would like to thank you for the time invested in sharing with us and this online community your experiences lived during your recent visit.

We are very happy to know that we managed to exceed your overall expectations in such a way that you plan to visit us again. Thank you for recognizing the efforts of our wonderful staff, I will definitely extend your regards to Fabian, Dominga & Jaime, we are proud to have them in our team.

Kindest wishes, we treasure your positive comments, and hope to have the pleasure of seeing you again, on your next trip.