“Not for singles.”

Sandos Playacar Beach Resort
Ranked #59 of 216 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

I would not recommend Sandols for singles. Sandols has some issues. Service can be approved. I try to make the most if all vacations and have stayed all over the world including all over Mexico. The food needs help, it is always cold and not very tasty. It becomes old quick. The service does not live up to most Mexican standards. The good thing the beach is great. If you stay in the adult select club have your walking shoes ready. The golf carts do not run very offen. Please be advised that what is offered may not be what you will get. Simple things like slippers.

1  Thank bcdewitt
Sandos_Playacar, General Manager at Sandos Playacar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Dear bcdewitt,

On a behalf of the Staff and Management here at Sandos Playacar Beach Resort and Spa we would like to thank you for your review. However, we feel sorry that our Hotel didn’t meet your expectation.

We assure you that improvement, in all our services are an ongoing process and our priority is guests’ satisfaction. We do hope to have another opportunity in the near future, to make your holiday unforgettable. If you decide to give us another chance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best Regards,

Director General
Hotel Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & SPA
E-Mail: director.playacar@sandos.com

Write a ReviewReviews (13,491)

Reviewed June 30, 2013

I will start by saying that I'm a RE member however I'm harder on my reviews and critique just about all that could be improved and or needs attention. I've been coming to this resort with my family for the past 4 years and have yet to be dissatisfied. There are many excellent venues to chose from in the mayan riviera as well as other resorts in playacar as well.
So why Sandos? Why is this place so unique? Why do members and non members keep coming back? Let's face it, you can go anywhere in the world, go to any restaurant, bathe in any pool, sleep in the most luxurious of rooms and still...have food that may not be to your specific liking, sleep in an uncomfortable position and wake up in pain the next morning, not put on enough sunscreen and get a nasty burn.
What you get here is quite unique though....caring, respectful, truly warm hearted working individuals that do the most noble of jobs....they serve! They work harder than most any staff I've seen. They do it with a smile, they do it with kindness, they are rarely recognized or applauded but folks, these are incredible human beings.
For those of us that keep coming back to this place, what is mesmerizing is not the beach, though it is the best in the area and among the best in the world. It's not the cupcake cafe, though it will bring the all mighty and power full Starbucks to its knees it so surpasses it. It's not the arcade, where I lost my son for hours as he made new friends he hung out with throughout our stay. It's not the Asian, Argentinian, Mediterranean, Brazilian, or even the French restaurants, where all meals were decadent and many desserts sinful. It was not the members only pool where drinks are butler served and it keeps flowing without end. And nope, not even the spa with its wonderful array of therapeutic pools.
It was....Lidia at the spa that made the difference by identifying areas that needed attention and revitalizing me after a session.
It was.... Rodrigo, at the members only pool who I didn't have to ask for a drink and just changed out my caipiroska cause the ice magical melted (here ice defies the laws of physics, you'll know what I mean when you go).
It was... Gloria at the Asian and the captains in at the Brazilian, Argentinian and Asian restaurants that surprised the heck out of our group making every meal memorable ones.
It was Rosy Canche, Ana and Sonia at Royal Elite who accommodated our group to ensure we were close, and sent special recognition to one of our family members for it was their anniversary.
It was Gustavo the bar manager that showed why he's a class act directing all bar staff ensuring proper treatment off all guests as he himself would do it when he was at the members only pool for years.
It was...Alberta our housekeeper that ensure hospital level cleanliness in our room as well as kept us wondering how did she do that??? with so many different types of towel puppets. Some that even defied physical properties of a towel but we're amazing. She should write a book.
It was...Fabian at the many bars, Isiris at the bell stand, Sadu at the beach, and so many other countless individuals who I can go on and on and on about.
In short, it was the people and continues to be the people that keeps me as well as others coming back.
As is in life, the biggest room in the world is that of improvement and there are some areas that I'm certain are already being looked at by the new general manager Ivan Tapia whom I had the pleasure of meeting and made an impact with me as he too is genuinely caring of all guests.
Yes there are only 2 golf carts and should be more, yes some buildings need a bit of tlc and this is a constant fight with mother nature for the climate mix in the area is quite severe. Yes some rooms need updating and I noticed countless brand new hdtv's being placed in rooms and on the hallways of the resort as well as much painting going on in the haciendas and other places.
It is nice to see that every year I return, I truly return to my second home. As such, I am embraced by those I know and welcome new faces as I get to know them.
If you want to spend a vacation where you will experience the finest money has to offer, All the luxury and every whim adhering to your taste fulfilled....this may not be tour place. However...should you wish to feel pampered, enjoy a trip of a lifetime as well as meet amazing people that will gladly take care of you and your family ensuring and excellent vacation, and make you want to come back for more and make you truly feel you're in your home...don't give it a second thought. you've found your slice of heaven on earth, as I did. Thank you all at Sandos for making it as enjoyable as always. My family and I will be back soon.

3  Thank 305travelguru
Sandos_Playacar, General Manager at Sandos Playacar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Dear 305travelguru,

We would like to thank you for your review published on Trip Advisor.

It honors us to receive such a compliment and encourages us to continue exceeding our clients’ expectations.

We really appreciate you taking the time to let us know we are providing a good service.

Lidia, Rodrigo, Rosy, Ana, Sonia, Gustavo, Fabian and Alberta, will be informed about your mention; we let them know how they helped to make your stay memorable.

We look forward to welcome you back next year for your 5th visit .

Please do not hesitate to contact us prior to your arrival so we can assist with all pre arrival requests and be sure that your stay surpasses all expectations.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

I am writing this after returning from a 15 night stay at this resort. This was our first time in Mexico and with so many hotels to choose from I was apprehensive we may not have picked the correct one - I need not have worried!

Pool/Beach
4 pools including the royal elite, if you dont have kids its worth upgrading to the adults only section as its quieter and has a swim up bar! The beach is stunning and being the last in the line of hotels to the right you can walk for half a mile or so in completely untouched land where the turtles lay their eggs!

Food/drink
I am a super fussy eater, we have been all inclusive in other hotels and I have always wanted to eat out but not this time! With 6 A La Carte restuarants (3 visits per week), 2 buffet restaurants including an Itlian which are open every day, 3 snack bars, a bagel shop and coffee shop I never went hungry! Always something for everyone and with so much choice you dont need to eat in the same place twice in a week unless you actually want to!! Premium spirits were on offer throughout the hotel, we fully took advantage of this and has tequila shots and cocktails every day! Bars are open until midnight when the disco takes over, we did go there one night and it was fun if thats your kind of thing! The a la caret restuarants were all good but I have to say the Rodizio was out of this world and we even ate there twice during our stay!

Rooms/Hotel facilities
The adults only section have jacuzzi{s in the rooms that can fit 2 people! They are furnished toa high standard with the minibar fridge and air con as you would expect. We had a lovely room overlooking the pool which had a seperate seating area and a flat screen TV, fab!!

Hotel General/Location
The hotel was of a high standard, walking around you always see the maintenance staff tending to plants or with general upkeep of the hotel. We had a minor issue with the safe in our room which was resolved immediately. The hotel is large and the walk from the adults only section to the meeting point (for buffet and eveneing entertainment) was around 10 mins, or an extra 5 mins to the beach. Honestly this was not a probelm, there are 2 golf buggy shuttles which run from 7am until 11pm every day but there is sometimes a short wait for these as they only have 7 seats, we walked more often than not and it was a lovely walk, well signñosted through some gardens with piped music. It also gave us an opportunity to see the wildlife, ponies, monkeys, iguanas, cats and coatis! Not overrun with them but a pleasant surprise to see when walking. On the way to this hotel you will drive past some others which look very impressive, i wouldnt say this hotel had the same wow factor, but with the extensive facilities, size of the property and the amazing staff i am so glad we chose here.

Tips
its 70 pesos to get to 5th avenue which is the main shopping place in PDC
There is a walmart there, take a taxi there and buy what you need to, this will still be cheaper than the shops
Shop around for trips and souveniers, we did the trip to Coba and Tulum and to the Cenote and swimming with turtles at Akumal (both highly recommended) and managdto get $50 per person off the original price
Take american dollars, pesos are widely used but the price quoted is often in dollars so you lose out when they convert it back to pesos

Special mentions
We are not the kind of people who go on holiday to make friends, not that we are anti social (!!) but the entertainment doesnt normally interest us. However I have to say that at this hotel Jaoquim and the entertainment team work tirelessly what feels like 24/7 to make sure you have a good time. It really makes the difference espcially on an all includive vaction such as this.
We also received some expectional service, and these hardworkers strood out to us in our trip
Eduardo Guatiza - waiter in the Rodizio restuarant
Guistavo Alverez and Theresa in the Lobby premium bar who make the BEST international cocktails
Rodriguez and Antonio the drivers of the gold buggys who manage to keep a smile on their faces and are always happy to offer advice and chat on the rides around the grounds!!

If you are thinking of booking this hotel, please dont hesitate, like I said I am one of the fussiest people I know and I would recommend this hotel to anyone. In fact I would love to go back there again right now!!!!!

Thanks Sandos for an unforgettable holiday - hopefully we will be back!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Nutytart

Dear Nutytart,

We cannot thank you enough for adding another great review to our list.

We appreciate you took the time to share your experience with the trip Advisor community and we are glad to know that we exceeded most of your expectations during your recent stay in Sandos Playacar.

Thank you also for recommending our property. We hope to see you again very soon !

Kind regards

Director Hotel

Reviewed June 29, 2013

With the family in a Hacienda suite and loving it. Found my oasis at the Premium Club every afternoon, with Fabian hand-shaking margaritas in the a/c -- a great respite from the sun. We also love Dominga in the main buffet. Every morning, she welcomes us with a smile and great service. Jaime keeps an eye on the mini-golf course and my 7-year-old insists we play every day.

Dear pbehle,

While extending warm regards from this “Su casa”, Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa, I would like to thank you for the time invested in sharing with us and this online community your experiences lived during your recent visit.

We are very happy to know that we managed to exceed your overall expectations in such a way that you plan to visit us again. Thank you for recognizing the efforts of our wonderful staff, I will definitely extend your regards to Fabian, Dominga & Jaime, we are proud to have them in our team.

Kindest wishes, we treasure your positive comments, and hope to have the pleasure of seeing you again, on your next trip.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

We went to Sandos from June 20-26, 2013. I traveled with my two teenage sons. When we arrived our bags were taken to our room and we were handed a cold glass of mango juice and lemonade. We stayed in the Rivera section of the hotel. We had a suite with a Jacuzzi. There were two queen beds and a sofa bed in our room. We had a balcony with chairs and a lovely view of the pool. The beach was very pretty and large. It is the last beach in Playacar and if you head south there is a private section with very few people. It is a great place for snorkeling, the water is very clear. The staff always had smiles on their faces and went out of their way to make your vacation unforgettable. The buffets were good and offered many choices. The gourmet restaurants were very good except for Asiana. The kids and I loved Cupcake Café for smoothies and dessert. Please make sure to tip the workers a dollar or two, they don't expect it, but they surely appreciate it!!

The Sandos grounds are lush and well maintained. You will enjoy the animals on the property too. There are cats, monkeys, burros and iguanas.

My boys loved the jet skiing and parasailing. We were able to do both for $90.00.

The only negative thing of the trip was the walk to the beach from our room, it was a scenic 10 minute walk, but the weather was very HOT and humid so it was a bit uncomfortable!! There is a golf that does come by if you would like a ride but there are times when the cart is full so you have to wait for the next one.

Overall, I want to say thank you Sandos for making our vacation so special!!

1  Thank donovantravelers

Dear Donovantravelers,

On behalf of the Sandos Playacar family, I thank you for commenting about the experiences lived while in our hotel.

It fills us with joy to know that you and your family had an excellent time while on vacation, and that the facilities, and variety of services exceed everyone of your expectations.

Thank you for highlighting the positive attributes you were able to enjoy, we hope to have the pleasure of serving you and your family again in the future.

Kindest Wishes,

Reviewed June 28, 2013

Fabian is an excellent host. He was very kind, friendly, and helpful each time we visited the premium club. Much better service than at the royal elite club, which was disappointing given our membership. Overall, tho, sandos playacar is beautiful. Plenty to do, beautiful beach. The people, like Fabian, make it stand above the many, many other choices around playa del Carmen.

Room Tip: The haciendas are great!

Dear kiabja,

I would like to extend warm and cordial regards on behalf of the Sandos Playacar family, and thank you for the time invested in posting your personal impressions of our hotel.

We are glad to know you and your partner were able to enjoy yourselves while on vacation. It pleases me to know that our staff and our overall services exceeded your expectations.

I will extend your regards to Fabian Sanchez, thank you for your positive reviews. Your comments are really appreciated; reviews like this one motivate us to keep up the hard work.

Looking forward to your next visit to this “Su Casa”

Kindest Wishes,

Reviewed June 27, 2013

I recently visited Sandos Playacar for the first time and was thrilled with my experience. The staff was very helpful and friendly. Specifically the entertainment team. I was there with family for a wedding and there were a few children of various ages within our large group. Helaman was an outstanding part of the entertainment team and was helpful and informative with fun activities for the whole family. He was fun, outgoing, and attentive at all times. The bartenders at Labombola bar were great and always friendly and cheerful! We had a great time and the rooms were comfortable and spacious. Overall a great experience

Room Tip: Rooms in the adult only section are much quieter but if you want fun and action stay in the building...
1  Thank Rene S
Sandos_Playacar, General Manager at Sandos Playacar Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Dear Rene S,

We are very happy to know that we managed to exceed your overall expectations in such a way that you plan to visit us again. Thank you for recognizing the efforts of our wonderful staff, I will definitely extend your regards to Helaman, we are proud to have him in our team.