I visited with my husband and two children. Upon check in, they tried to give us a room other than the one that we booked, stating that we would like it much better, and that the rooms we had booked were all full. I insisted that I had done my research and I would not stay in any other room, but the one we had a reservation for. After a slight delay, one of the rooms we wanted became available (imagine that!). We were pleased when we arrived to our room. We stayed in one of the haciendas. The room was clean, decent size, and nicely decorated. There was a small wading pool and a jacuzzi right outside that was shared between the small group of rooms in the hacienda. There are several haciendas and they are located close to the activity, but far enough away to not be bothered by all the noise - good if you enjoy walking. Only drawback was that the shower was not private(not within a bathroom with a door), but it was not open to the room, so it was not a huge issue.
This was a great resort for families. The kids club and nightly entertainment were outstanding. Definitely not what I expected from a mid priced all-inclusive. My 6 and 12 year old had activities available to them daily from 10 am until 7pm or later, which they actually enjoyed-sand castle building, water balloons, face painting, etc... This gave my husband and I ample time to enjoy the adult only spa ,which was beautiful. I highly recommend taking a dip in the massage pool (aaaaaahhhhhh....). They also have tennis, basketball, mini golf, and bicycle rentals. The nightly entertainment was great, they really try to get the kids involved, and the parents can sit back and watch them having a good time-Disney show, circus, kid's disco, etc...
The beach is beautiful, last resort on the strip so nothing to your right except white sand and blue water. And the beach bar has fresh fruit smoothies. With such a beautiful beach, who needs a pool? But the pool was nice, not right on the beach, but that's ok because I have been in too many nasty sand filled pools that were right along the beach. The grounds are kept up very nicely and there is wildlife galore. The tree right next to the pool had a family of howler monkeys in it one morning. My advice for a good chance to see the monkeys, coatis, and tapirs that frequent the resort is to get up early and go behind the kid's club. We saw an entire troop of monkeys jumping through the trees. And watch out for the iguanas, they are everywhere.
The buffets are crowded and the food for the most part is just so-so. There were a few items, that were really good, but with so much to choose from, it is hard to find them. You need a couple of days to figure out what is worth eating. Not unlike any other all inclusive though, they are trying to feed the masses, so quantity outweighs quality. Unfortunately the a la carte restaurants were not much better, but again, I would not expect to eat the best Asian or Mediterranean food ever, in a hotel in Mexico. They also had a French and Mexican a la carte, but we did not eat at those, since we were only allowed 2 reservations for the length of our stay. Tip-if you would just like a quick light snack, go to the cupcake cafe. They have sandwiches, coffees, teas, and of course cupcakes.
Overall, the service at the bars and in the restaurant was pretty good. Our room fridge was not restocked without us going up to the front desk to remind them. Also we ordered breakfast to our room via the card on the doorknob and we never recieved it. Were it not for the, at times, poor service, I would have given this hotel an excellent rating.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa is an all-Inclusive hotel in Playa del Carmen with both family and adult sections. We are ideally located on a magnificent white sandy beach in the gated community of Playacar, within walking distance to downtown Playa and Fifth Avenue. Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa is located only forty-five minutes from the Cancun International Airport, and the pier serving ferries to Cozumel is a short distance from our property.Playacar is a private, master-planned community situated on the southern edge of downtown Playa del Carmen. Guests at Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa enjoy this exclusive community’s impressive infrastructure, including an 18-hole golf course designed by Robert Von Hagge, the Xaman-Ha Aviary, pristine biking paths, and Mayan ruins, accessible to the public for hiking.Riviera Maya is a protected region where many remaining artifacts from the fascinating Mayan civilization can be found. Surrounded by Mayan archeological zones, such as those at Tulum, Coba, and Chicen-Itza, this Playa del Carmen hotel successfully preserves a strong sense of Mayan culture onsite, adding an authentic feel and flavor to the vacation experience in Playacar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Priceline, Travelocity, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Sandos Playacar Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandos Playacar Beach Hotel
- Hotel Sandos Playacar Beach
- Beach Playacar Resort Sandos
- Sandos Playacar Resort
- Sandos Playa Del Carmen
- Gala Resort Playacar
- Sandos Gala Playacar
- Sandos Playacar Mexico
- Sandos Resort
- Playacar Sandos