My sister and I went for holiday to Mexico for 2 weeks beginning February 2013. It was my first time and thus did some extensive research, (there are too many resorts/hotels to choose from and it got confusing). In the end we decided to stay in Playacar at Sandos Playacar as it fitted our criteria’s the most.
Our reason was: location - near to the hustle bustle, but yet we wanted some quite. Sandos is the farthest resort from PDC, yet near enough. It was a short taxi ride (fixed 70 pesos) to downtown (5th Ave), or about a 40minutes walk. Also most resorts have free bike rentals, so that was a comfortable 10minutes bike ride. Null problemo!
Further in my opinion, Sandos has simply the best and widest “rock-less” beaches around/near for PDC, (check it on google earth… amazing!
Lastly although we would have maybe liked to stay in an Adult-only, but frankly as we were on a certain “budget” (still not cheap), it was more reasonably priced compared to the others.
Anyway, overall we had a wonderful stay and experience and did not regret our decision. There is no doubt, the staff and services are friendly and very very hard working, (Thank you Porter staff, Ricardo from reception and especially Rosario at the sports bar and many more…). They are very attentive and helpful, the grounds and facilities immaculate, and the entertainment was … entertaining!
We stayed in the Adult-only section/Junior Suite with a large Jacuzzi on the third floor, which is the furthest from the beach. The possible upgrade was to the beach section, however we opted to stay were we booked and I am glad we did. This Adult section is the newest, most up to date and the quietest. It takes about 5 ~7 minutes of slow-paced walk, (not the London rush hour walk), to get to the “Meeting point”, where most of the restaurants, activities and action take place. At the end of a night, back to quite part of the resort.
The room itself: it was big, clean and modern … no complain… except minor points: we wish we had a better shower-head with a strong water pressure. Ours literally sprinkled thinly, missing our heads. Also the room service menu itself was not too impressive; limited choice and snacks was not great. But we did not mind, as most of the time we were out and about or ate at the other resort restaurants.
The room was cleaned twice, and we had absolutely no problem otherwise, i.e. hard beds… ehhmmm no, we thought they were comfortable, neither too hard nor too soft.
The resort is huge, with many exotic creatures roaming around freely. It was always a pleasant walk to the beach. There is a shuttle running every 10 ~15minutes if you wished to wait for it.
There are two buffet style restaurants near (Italian and International) were no booking is required, and four a la carte restaurants. The buffet had plenty of option, so never got bored even though we ate there almost every night. Three times we booked a la carte, (French, Asian and Brazilian), and most say it was okayish, we prefered the variety at the buffet. Also a eating out in local PDC is highly recommended for experience.
The best part: absolutely heaven! White soft clean sands stretching out endlessly and the crystal clear warm waters; what more is there to say. *sigh*
There was a separate section for Adults-only, but I thought there was no problem finding beach chairs at any section, and even ample of shade for people wanting to stay out of the sun. The beach service was sparse perhaps; only one person assigned to a large section, yet the beach bar is so close by, why not get it yourself.
Well I could babble on, so if you have any questions, just contact me :)
I would absolutely recommend this resort to everyone, especially for families and couples. For singles, perhaps not as much, but we did not mind as we did a lot of other excursions and the remainder days relaxed at the beautiful beach, it served more than our purpose.
Thank you Sandos for wonderful experience, sadly 2 weeks were just not enough...!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa is an all-Inclusive hotel in Playa del Carmen with both family and adult sections. We are ideally located on a magnificent white sandy beach in the gated community of Playacar, within walking distance to downtown Playa and Fifth Avenue. Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa is located only forty-five minutes from the Cancun International Airport, and the pier serving ferries to Cozumel is a short distance from our property.Playacar is a private, master-planned community situated on the southern edge of downtown Playa del Carmen. Guests at Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa enjoy this exclusive community’s impressive infrastructure, including an 18-hole golf course designed by Robert Von Hagge, the Xaman-Ha Aviary, pristine biking paths, and Mayan ruins, accessible to the public for hiking.Riviera Maya is a protected region where many remaining artifacts from the fascinating Mayan civilization can be found. Surrounded by Mayan archeological zones, such as those at Tulum, Coba, and Chicen-Itza, this Playa del Carmen hotel successfully preserves a strong sense of Mayan culture onsite, adding an authentic feel and flavor to the vacation experience in Playacar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Despegar.com, Hotels.com and Travelocity so you can book your Sandos Playacar Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandos Playacar Beach Hotel
- Hotel Sandos Playacar Beach
- Beach Playacar Resort Sandos
- Sandos Playacar Resort
- Sandos Playa Del Carmen
- Gala Resort Playacar
- Sandos Gala Playacar
- Sandos Playacar Mexico
- Sandos Resort
- Playacar Sandos