“Amazing Resort!”

Sandos Playacar Beach Resort
Ranked #60 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I cannot say enough great things about this place! The food, the grounds, the staff....makes me want to return year after year! I highly recommend this place for a family vacation - there is so much to do, or you can just lay and be lazy if you want! It accomadates everything! A special thank you to DAVID, at the Royal Elite Pool for bringing a smile to our face every day....to VICTOR & LULU on the Entertainment team for making it extra fun for our group....to GABRIEL, for always making sure we were happy with our drinks....and housekeeper, Amelia, for our special animals on our bed everyday. Thank you for a great week!

Room Tip: we have stayed on the beach - gorgeous view & near all the action! we have stayed in the Rivier...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (13,288)

Reviewed February 22, 2013

I have stayed at Sandos Playacar 3 times now in the last 4 years, and every single time there, I find something new and exciting! This last visit, in mid Feb, I found a new obsession - TRX.

I've done TRX a few times at a studio in the US; however trainer Adrien at the Sandos gym, worked me. Through his thorough explanation of the exercises and muscle movements, I was able to engage my muscles. It was awesome!! I sure felt it the next day.

Since the first session was so productive, I signed up for two more. And Adrien...knowing my limits and capabilities, designed a specific workout program for me!! Never too easy; never too challenging so have my form and technique be sacrificed. Now that is a personal trainer at his best!

I arrived at the resort feeling quite fat and flabby. I left the resort feeling strong, rejuvenated and confident. Thank you Adrien for your expertise and patience!!

Catherine

1  Thank Cat28Y
Reviewed February 22, 2013

We spent a week at this resort February 2-9 2013 with our nine month old baby. Everything was great. We had selected this resort because of its nice beach, but we found much more than that. The food was good and varied, even though we only got to try the buffets (not easy to go for a reservation when your schedule is run by a baby). The staff everywhere was very, very friendly and smiling, and always tried to help as much as they could. The beach is pristine with plenty of seating and parasols. There are places to eat and get a drink nearly everywhere, and the whole resort is accessible with a stroller. We had booked a regular room but were upgraded to an hacienda free of charge, which was great and a great tactic by the resort. We will gladly pay extra to get a room in an hacienda next time: only 10 rooms per unit, with our own pool and hot tub. The ground floor or these units is perfect with a young baby: no need to go anywhere or pack up your gear for a quick dip, or to soothe the baby in the hot tub for a few minutes at night. Plus, you get to sit outside your patio door, soaking in the sun and keeping an eye on the baby while he takes a nap in the room. A nice and comfortable crib was already in the room when we got there. With a little tip to the staff, we always had plenty of water to keep the baby and I hydrated after we were sick for 2 days. The weather was great and everyone seemed to go out of their way to make it easier for us with the baby, and they all seem to love kids! I would not hesitate to go back there if I went back to Mexico. We didn't get to experience any of the activities or expeditions, but there appeared to be so much to do, especially compared to Cuba where we went 2 years ago. If you want to have an entertaining vacation, this is the place to be. The Scuba Libre offers a full day of scuba, for example, for 135$, with two dives included. They are licensed PADI. I only discovered this 2 days before we left so couldn't try it though.

My girlfriend go to try the Spa, and was quite impressed. The only reason she didn't go back is for lack of time, because she had her sights on this Mayan ritual which seemed pretty cool even to my male eyes...

Finally, however, there were a few caveats. First, too many staff have a very rudimentary control of English language. They would really benefit from teaching them a bit more of it, or to select people who speak it better from the start. It was sometimes difficult to make ourselves understood by room service staff, to the point where I thought the vacation would have been easier if I spoke Spanish. Also, the rooms in the haciendas have venting in the showers which leads outside, and are just basically wooden lattices covering a hole in the wall. We basically heard EVERY noise happening in the front of the building. Let me tell you that when people arrive to their room with kids at 10pm with all their stuff for a week, they are not quiet. Our baby and us got woken up by this many times over one week, and it got very frustrating, even with the bathroom door closed. Speaking of the bathroom, it was nice with a very large shower, but the lack of a real bath when you need to wash a sick baby is unacceptable. Finally, a word about the computers. They have 4 or 5 of them available for client's uses. Technically, it is supposed to be reserved to adults (max 15 min). However, since they are placed next to kids amusements (air hockey, foosball, ping pong), kids take them over and won't leave them to other people. Staff do try to free one up if you ask them, but most of the time they get turned away by kids. There was actually a pre-teenager girl who gave staff attitude when asked to leave the computer, waving her VIP bracelet and saying that her parents paid enough to be here that she didn't have to leave if she didn't want to. Quite frustrating.
Anyway, these point aside, our stay was absolutely heavenly. Thank you Sandos!

Room Tip: Haciencas are awesome...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 21, 2013

My wife and I arrived for a week arriving Feb 6-13th. A month or so before we arrived, I went to Sandos web site and sent an e-mail to the Resort requesting a room in the Adult section (which is where I booked) with a pool view , and a king bed. I was contacted by Daniela Delgado in the web relations section within a day advising me that she would be my contact if i had any questions or if she could help me with anything. Miss Delgado and I talked several times and I advised her that my wife and I would be celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary on Feb 9th. Daniela advised that she would talk care of some special arrraingments for that day. I expected that maybe our room would have some decorations, but what we got from the Hotel and Daniela was overwelming.
When we arrived at 3pm, our room was already available. I had mentioned to Daniela that my wife loves Diet Pepsi, and any Mexican beer for me. When we arrived at our pool view room with King bed on the second floor (room 9259) the room had 10 cold diet pepsi's and 6 beers waiting for us. The Adult Section's rooms are wonderful. We had the LCD tv, 2 sinks, walk in shower, and a beautiful whirlpool tub in the room. The room also had a free safe to use. It was very nice that the resort has an adult section. There is a swim up bar, and a small grill area where they had hotdogs, hamburgers, and nachos every day. A lot of people have complained of the walk to the beach from the Adult section, but the walk is worth the extra 10 min , because of seeing the beautiful landscaping and the animals on the property. The food was a big surprise. We ate at the Asian, Mexican,Le Gourmet, El Gaucho Steak house, and the Brazilian Rodoizeo restaurant,along with the buffett two nights. Our favorite was the Le Gourmet, but we enjoyed the food at every one of them. We went to a couple of shows and enjoyed them very much. On tuesday night, they have a special night where they bring a very large Mexican buffet outside, and have the local venders sell their crafts.
On our Anniversary night Daniela really shined. She set up our dinner with a "Romance Package" where we arrived to find flowers at our table and a bottle of champagne waiting for us. When we got back to our room that night, she decorated our room with a large flower arraingement, made up the bed with more flowers, and filled our whirlpool with bubbles and a heart, again made with flowers.of flowers. Daniela did all this all on her own time. Daniela is a special person and deserves special attention. She was available what seemed like 20hrs a day. She aways had the biggest smile on her face , and seemed truely happy to be working for Sandos. On our last night at the resort, Daniela made a special trip to our room to give a her usual hugs and to wish us a safe trip home.
We have to also mention our room steward Yessica Morales. She decorated our room with many towel animals, flower petals and kept the room spotless everyday. We never went a day without all of the towels,washcloths and toiletries needed. Yessica , you were wonderful.
I would totally recommend this resort for anyone. We did see a lot of children, but they were by the family pools and appeared well mannered. We were told that most of the people at the resort were form Argentina, but that didn't matter at all. We talked to people from Canada and the United States every day. As far as drinks, our room had a water purifier machine with bottled water that would produce hot and cold water, a refridgerator that was filled with pepsi products and two brands of beer. My wife and I were totally satisfied with the Sandos Playacar Resort.

We booked our round trip transfers with www.cancuncab.com and were very happy with them. Their cost was $100 R/T .

Room Tip: If your a couple, book the Adult Section
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Toledosfinest
Reviewed February 21, 2013

My fiance and I spent the last two years at Sandos Playacar for winter vacations on our own. We loved it so much the last time, we decided to bring all of our family and friends down February 2013 to get Married! 27 people came down and they all loved the resort! Picture perfect wedding on the beach and service over the week that is second to none. We chose to become Royal Elite members last year. This is a good benefit if the numbers work for you. If not, there are plenty of options to stay there like any normal resort. The only negative comment any guests had was the rooms closest to the beach were a little older. When they asked, Sandos moved them to a newly remodeled room in the Adult section. I can't see this as a problem, if you want to step out of your room and be on the beach, its ok to put up with a little older room. If you are willing to walk 2-5 minutes to the beach, then you get a brand new room.

A special thanks to the head chef at Fogo De Jenero, Brenda. The wedding coordinator Lupita, and the two RE premium bar bartenders, Rodrigo and Gustavo. The entire staff was great! We are counting down the months until we can go down there again.

We have hundreds of beautiful photos from this visit. I've attached only a small few.

Room Tip: Rules of supply and demand. The rooms right on the beach are a little older. A short walk inland a...
Reviewed February 21, 2013

After having stayed at Sandos, I know what excellent service and accommodations are. I loved the staff, especially Andres (Massage Therapist). He was amazing. Everyone I encountered was helpful, kind and happy. Though the food gets boring after a few days, shopping and restaurants are within walking distance. So, not a problem. The rooms are clean, comfortable and nice. The drinks are excellent as well. And, I love that the Royal Elite desk offers bottled water, snacks & computer use at anytime. My next trip to Mexico - in fact, all future trips to Mexico - will be to Sandos Playacar in PDC.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Flying A
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Sandos is great place for family! The service is excellent. Beach is amazing! While we were there back in Oct 2012 there were alot of areas of under construction (haciendas and beach area) but I'm sure they are updating the outdated areas of the resort. We will definitely be back!!

Room Tip: We stayed at the junior suites close the beach. Room was clean. The only thing is the room does need...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family