“Another great trip!!!!”

Sandos Playacar Beach Resort
Ranked #57 of 217 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed February 15, 2013

My wife and I chose this resort about 4 years ago to head down to Playacar to find a resort to get married at. We ended up being impressed with this resort and purchasing a Royal Elite membership and timeshare. We were married on the beach there a year later and then headed down each year since for our anniversary.

The resort does everything correct. Food is good, people are extremely nice and the amenities are perfect.

Each year the resort is re-defining itself by adding new things (new coffee shop is a great touch). The people at the resort are amazing.

Also, my review was to provide an overall "thanks" to the resort for the great times my wife and I have had there, but more especially to thank certain people at the resort that have made our time there especially nice.

All servers at the restaurants. My wife is a vegan and each of the restaurants took care of her allergies and made sure she enjoyed each of her meals. A little creativity went a long way.

David at the Royal Elite Pool. My wife still talks about the 'David Special' - a drink he created for her. David was amazing. Constantly attentive and true 'service with a smile'. His energy and joy rubbed off on everyone else around him.

Rodrigo at the Royal Elite Bar at the Meeting Point. Damn Great Bartender. If I owned a bar, he would be my top choice. Always pleasant and created some good concoctions that tasted amazing.

Thanks and we'll see you guys next year!!!!

Room Tip: Aim to stay towards the front of the resort by the beach. The backside is a long walk eachday to the...
2  Thank Sean O
Write a ReviewReviews (13,658)

Reviewed February 14, 2013

My wife and I arrived for a week arriving Feb 6-13th. A month or so before we arrived, I went to Sandos web site and sent an e-mail to the Resort requesting a room in the Adult section (which is where I booked) with a pool view , and a king bed. I was contacted by Daniela Delgado in the web relations section within a day advising me that she would be my contact if i had any questions or if she could help me with anything. Miss Delgado and I talked several times and I advised her that my wife and I would be celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary on Feb 9th. Daniela advised that she would talk care of some special arrraingments for that day. I expected that maybe our room would have some decorations, but what we got from the Hotel and Daniela was overwelming.
When we arrived at 3pm, our room was already available. I had mentioned to Daniela that my wife loves Diet Pepsi, and any Mexican beer for me. When we arrived at our pool view room with King bed on the second floor (room 9259) the room had 10 cold diet pepsi's and 6 beers waiting for us. The Adult Section's rooms are wonderful. We had the LCD tv, 2 sinks, walk in shower, and a beautiful whirlpool tub in the room. The room also had a free safe to use. It was very nice that the resort has an adult section. There is a swim up bar, and a small grill area where they had hotdogs, hamburgers, and nachos every day. A lot of people have complained of the walk to the beach from the Adult section, but the walk is worth the extra 10 min , because of seeing the beautiful landscaping and the animals on the property. The food was a big surprise. We ate at the Asian, Mexican,Le Gourmet, El Gaucho Steak house, and the Brazilian Rodoizeo restaurant,along with the buffett two nights. Our favorite was the Le Gourmet, but we enjoyed the food at every one of them. We went to a couple of shows and enjoyed them very much. On tuesday night, they have a special night where they bring a very large Mexican buffet outside, and have the local venders sell their crafts.
On our Anniversary night Daniela really shined. She set up our dinner with a "Romance Package" where we arrived to find flowers at our table and a bottle of champagne waiting for us. When we got back to our room that night, she decorated our room with a large flower arraingement, made up the bed with more flowers, and filled our whirlpool with bubbles and a heart, again made with flowers.of flowers. Daniela did all this all on her own time. Daniela is a special person and deserves special attention. She was available what seemed like 20hrs a day. She aways had the biggest smile on her face , and seemed truely happy to be working for Sandos. On our last night at the resort, Daniela made a special trip to our room to give a her usual hugs and to wish us a safe trip home.
We have to also mention our room steward Yessica Morales. She decorated our room with many towel animals, flower petals and kept the room spotless everyday. We never went a day without all of the towels,washcloths and toiletries needed. Yessica , you were wonderful.
I would totally recommend this resort for anyone. We did see a lot of children, but they were by the family pools and appeared well mannered. We were told that most of the people at the resort were form Argentina, but that didn't matter at all. We talked to people from Canada and the United States every day. As far as drinks, our room had a water purifier machine with bottled water that would produce hot and cold water, a refridgerator that was filled with pepsi products and two brands of beer. My wife and I were totally satisfied with the Sandos Playacar Resort.

We booked our round trip transfers with www.cancuncab.com and were very happy with them. Their cost was $100 R/T .

Room Tip: Contact hotel 1st and request what you expect and want. If your booked in Adult section, request a...
Reviewed February 14, 2013

We were fortunate to have spent a week at Sandos Playacar last year (January, 2012). We had a great time experiencing the all-inclusive environment - a first for us. It was suggested that a five star in Mexico is a four star in Canada or the US. What an insult to our Mexican neighbours who were so gracious and so intent on making our experience memorable.
We rarely return to the same resorts (so much world to see), but when my wife and I retired at Christmas, we decided to return to Sandos Playcar for a three week get-away (January 2013). And it was better than last year.
Little things we'd noticed last year that could have been improved were improved this year. For example, the "golf cart" style shuttles last year held only a few people, and seemed not to travel that frequently. This bothered us not at all, as we are walkers. This year, the carts are twice the size, and were passing us every 5 - 10 minutes as they travelled their regular circuit from the various buildings (bedrooms) to the beach area. During our time there, they started to build sun shades at the various pick up stops, as they continue to improve service. We were at the extreme end opposite the beach. The walk was 10 minutes each way.
We do not travel to another country so that they can give us what we have back home. Our intent was to experience the joys of Mexico. The foods were sometimes different, but always tasty and well prepared. The resort boasts a wonderful buffet and seven a la carte resaurants. The Asian, the Steakhouse, the Brazilian, the Mediterranian, and the French require reservations. The Mexican and the Italian do not require reservations. None of the a la cartes charge extra (something which I found extremely disappointing on our Royal Caribbean cruise).
During our last week, we were asked which was our favourite, and we could not choose. Each had wonderful characteristics that we thoroughly enjoyed. In each, the atmosphere was relaxed, and there was never a feeling of being rushed through your meal.
They say that if you tip at these resorts, you get waited on hand and foot. We found that regardless of whether or not we tipped, the service was excellent. And with the thousands of staff, we rarely had the same servers. Tips are very much appreciated but definately not expected. We received friendly, courteous, competent service everywhere we went.
The people of Mexico are one of the friendliest we have encountered in our travels. What amazed us is the friendliness of even the people we passed on the sidewalks. If you made eye contact, there was inevitably a greeting and a smile.
And any effort that you put in, however little, will be rewarded.
It both saddened and frustrated me to see people head to the bar and order "beer." No please, no thank you, no smile. Most of the servers speak some or at least a little English, and all understand please and thank you. And every person understands a smile. A little warmth and courtesy was returned to us ten-fold.
Any attempt at their language is appreciated, and we believe indicates a level of respect for their culture. No need to fear that they will think you speak Spanish. Your Hola (hello), your por favor (please) and your gracias (thanks) will be laden with a heavy English accent. Give it a try. They'll love you all the more for it. And we had a blast as they attempted to teach us a bit of Spanish when we would inquire about a phrase.
As for our safety? We walked into town on many occassions, and our only encounters were smiles and Holas. Of course, we didn't get silly about it. And yes, the shops want to sell. Learn to say "No, gracias." There, you're good to go.
Is it Canada? No! We were looking for Mexico. And we had a blast. We can't quite figure out why people travel, only to complain that it's not like home. Ok, maybe a better Canadian whiskey would be nice (smile).
Our room? We were in the Adults Only section both years. Rooms were identical. Spacious, clean, immaculately kept. Double sink, jacuzzi tub (for two), large balcony or deck, Air conditioning (which worked very well). Some reviews talk of musty smell - it's the jungle, folks. Humidy is 100%.
Partying? Sandos is not a party resort. Evenings are great for dining and light entertainment. Not a wild bar scene at night, or even during the day, which suited us perfectly.
Security? We were amazed at the presence of security 24 hours a day. Personnel wandering through the beach area during the day. Security walking the resort at night, not several times a night - several times an hour! And in three weeks, we saw or heard of no incident - not so much as a missing Danielle Steel novel!
Service? I left my prescription reading glasses in a restaurant one evening. When I returned several hours later, I was greeted by the restaurant manager who assured me that they had my glasses, and that security would bring them to me. They were tucked away in the safe where they had been taken upon discovery. In the 20 minutes it took to have them brought from security (located across the resort), I was offered drinks several times, and updated by 3 managers and one security officer, each reassuring me that all would be well - and it was.
Sandos is a class act. We wondered in our returning this year whether we would find the experience as refreshingly wonderful as our first visit. We are happy to report that it was even better.
I think we may have to review our "no return' policy on travel.
Happy vacationing, folks.

Room Tip: The pools are closed at night, so both pool view and jungle view are quiet when you sleep. The adult...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Daryl N
Reviewed February 14, 2013

This was our first visit to Sando’s. We usually go to the Grand Palladium so this trip was all about comparing. If you can't decide between the Palladium and Sandos this review may be helpful for you!

Check in was a breeze we arrive around 9:20pm so we got our room right away the bell boy brought our bags and he showed us around. We booked the select adult only section.

Rooms: Are gorgeous and very clean, Highlight of our trip. The maid Ceaser was truly amazing through our week stay with towel artwork to filling up our fridge (We were told if we wanted our fridge filled we just had to dial 0 and they'd come by) we never had to do that thanks to Ceaser! Another poster stated it correctly, was very nice to sit in the Jacuzzi and be able to watch TV if you so choose. Our room was on the main floor. When we first walked in it was musty a bit... what else to expect when traveling down south. The following day we left for the beach came back that afternoon to a dehumidifier!! We didn't even have to ask, and it truly helped after a few days they were able to take it out! That’s true service in my opinion I've never seen that anywhere! I cannot comment on room service... it has been said before that the choices are limited that is very true. I always just want room service for breakfast that would include bacon and eggs, this room service didn't offer that. Our friends did order room service a few times and it took over an hour and half each time. I liked we were close to the lobby and close to the adult resto that offers breakfast in the morning. I was terribly confused about whether we had Wi-Fi in our room or not. I was told countless times it did not. But in fact Adult section rooms DO have Wi-Fi. It can be very spotty at times but it works!
Rooms are nicer here then the palladium Maya reverie but both very clean rooms with great maids (Royal Yucatan has a much better room service menu and it's a lot quicker) the best part of the rooms are that the fridge actually works!! They are very cold and keep everything cold without having to leave the cupboard door open like at the palladium.
I also liked there was a water dispenser... always can count on having water in your room.

Food and general service: I’ve read a lot of reviews before coming and kept reading the food wasn’t good, actually the friends we traveled with was sick and also didn’t enjoy the food. Maybe we’re easy to please (especially after a few trips to Cuba) we actually liked the food. The portions at the a la carts are in fact small. This happens to be perfect for me since I eat like a bird but also with 3 courses how much CAN 1 eat! And if you’re still hungry order something else. We did the French, Mediterranean and steak house. The steak was juicy and delicious (even our friends like this meal) when we ate buffet we usually did it at the Italian, was always quiet with great service. Lunch was usually at the buffet (always something to find) and service was great! Always had a drink and my dirty plate was cleared! The food was nothing to write home about but it also wasn’t terrible, or did I not look forward to a meal... because I did!
Service at all the resto’s was great. Bartenders and waiters were amazing, especially the services at the selection club beach and pool.
Palladium has a lot more options in the buffet (they are bigger) and the food is just a tad bit better. I was very disappointed that we didn’t have Mexican food that week. (I didn’t book the Mexican thinking we would be eating that enough…not so) but for the beach service Sando’s can’t beat palladium in at!

Beach and Pool: the adult only pool is gorgeous! With a swim up bar! They even have a bbq with a nice guy cooking hot dogs and hamburgers for lunch! It’s usually very quiet here so very relaxing and typically very close to the adult only rooms. The whole reason I came was for the beach, and did we ever hit the jack pot. The beach here is stunning and gorgeous. Pure white sand, no rocks but heavy waves. It’s pure paradise the second you hit that sand and see the blue/green water. No water shoes needed, snorkeling can be difficult here due to the waves being rough. Perfect floatie type of waves though! I’d definitely be back for the beach! On the select side they even have a smoking and none smoking section. I thought that was neat... never saw that before (not sure how much it helps us are all outside after all but hey!) And don’t forget they also have a mini buffet with french fries, hot dogs and hamburgers at the beach where you get your drinks. At night it turns into a bagel restaurant… seemed interesting but we never ended up going after 6pm.

Hotel grounds: I found the grounds to be always clean always someone around picking up things and cleaning. All the staff very friendly always saying a quick ‘Hola’ to us. I especially enjoyed the fact this resort isn’t so big (unlike any of the palladiums) it was a quick 5 min walk to the beach from our building and the main area of the resort was not far either. As the train stop running at 11, if you’re at the disco you’ll miss it. Disco I can’t comment on, we never went in… they always play the same music typically at these resorts, but if it’s your first visit you’ll enjoy it just to get your groove on! I’ve been on a lot of these A/L trips so the shows are so much like ‘you’ve seen one you’ve seen them all’ but we did stay one night for the rock of ages band, and it was amazing!!! We saw a few other ones too… they do an awesome job! Great entertainment staff! I didn’t feel like this resort was full of flowers, ect. Palladium is like the feeling of being in the jungle.

All in all, my husband and I enjoyed our trip it was one of the most relaxing trips we’ve had to date. We enjoyed our friends company even if they were sick :( the staff were good to us and the food was decent! I would recommend this resort to someone who is looking for a no flare/fancy but relaxing place. I would most definitely come back if not just for that beach!!!! The services almost equal to the palladium, food is a bit better at the palladium, with lots more options, no reservations for a la carts and no limite on how many you have a week, you can eat a la cart every night if you so choose which is my favorite part a lot more options for room service and it’s a lot quicker. The beach is equally nice but Palladium adult only beach is a lot further from the rooms (at least a 15/20 mins walk) Rooms are nicer at sando’s. Palladium is giant compared to Sando’s. Hope this helps, don’t hesitate to message me if you have any questions.

I just want to give a big shout out to this resort and everything they do to be eco friendly, but most of all how you've adopted the animals on your property. There are at least 6 cats that are friendly and welcoming but they get fed each day (so they are not harrassing you!!) they have little houses all over the resort so they can go relax in and even has water by it, and 3 donkey's which are very cute and fun to watch. I really wish all the resorts did this! Thank you Sandos!!! huge bonus for me!!

Room Tip: I would definitely choose adult only if your looking for the peace and quiet.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank SunAddict24
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I had previously visited this property last June and had a nice comfortable stay. With two minor exceptions, this was another pleasurable vacation.
We had arrived 2 hrs before the 3PM checkin, so after formalities and a quick stop at a poolside lunch bar, we had the vacation sell from one of their sales agent. At least it helped kill the time, and at 2:45 we were given room keys and taken to our 2nd ocean front room in building 1. Last time I was placed in building 2, which was quieter. In building 1 we heard the music and laughter and the entertainment staff from the pool area, sometimes even from the evening entertainment area near the meeting place. By 10 PM or so, the noise abated, so it wasn't a major issue. Enjoyed being off the 1st floor like I was last time in June. The balcony was secluded and had a great view of the beach and sea. The bed wasn't as hard and I had the maid put some blankets under the mattress cover as cushioni9ng. My surgically repaired spine appreciated that effort.
Food - we ate at the Asian, the steak house and the French, my fav again was the French "Le Gourmet". Food was excellent, salmon and fillet were cooked to our specs. We wanted lamb, but were told it was only prepared well done, so we bailed on that entree. The service was good,only comment was that there is no spacing between courses. Finished your appetizer and the main course appears instantly! It took about 45 mins total for the meal. They did make a nice show of flaming cruets for the baked alaska.
Beach- having a gold bracelet allowed us to use the "privileged" palapas, which were then divided into a smoking/non smoking area. The first day we noticed people disregarding the signs, and after a word to the staff, that issue was resolved without a fuss. There is a bar, beverage and and fast food station right next to the palapas. I enjoyed several "Sandos Smoothies" (banan, mango, pineapple and coconut) each day. The beach is great for walking, either north going past all the other hotels, or to the undeveloped southerly direction, where there is one easily accesible snorkel spot. Waves were minimal all week. Never went to the pool.
Didn't bother with entertainment, except for Super Bowl Sunday, which was shown on two 15' screens in their theater. Had a nice buffet selection of food to go along with the game. I was surprised that prob less than 100 people showed up, had this been a soccer game, the theater would have been jammed.
Since we are from NY, we decided that due to the blizzard we would delay our departure one night and go home Sunday instead of Saturday. I was able to switch our flights, charge a bonus day, and have our airport transport changed in the space of maybe two hours. We spent Saturday lazing at the beach rather than digging out our car, and possibly navigating unplowed highways - I figured why chance a drive just a few hours after the snow had stopped. We had no problem getting home Sunday. The only hassle that day was getting a bellman to come for our two bags of luggage - I called at 9, 9;30 and 9:55 for a cart, since our airport transport was scheduled for 10:20. I had to run up to the lobby and check out while I again asked for a bellman to get our luggage.
A side note: we visited Cozumel on Thursday, and I believe we saw the Carnival Triumph docked there that day. Probably saw it sail north back home before the fire in the engine room which caused the ship to lose power. Felt so sorry for those passengers when I heard the news after getting home. Considering how a vacation can sometimes turn into a nightmare, we had such a great relaxing time that the minor noise issue and bellman hassle was easily put into perspective.

Room Tip: The Adult only area is actually near the main lobby just off Xaman Ha Blvd. It's a 10 minute wa...
3  Thank Robert S
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We stayed at Sandos over Christmas for a week. We have been to Playa del Carmen 3 times and love the area, but not sure we would stay at Sandos again. We were in the adult section of the hotel which is as far away from the beach as you can get. The walk was fine, but you have to be prepared to have everything you need as if you forget something in your room it is a pain to go all the way back. There are shuttles to take you back and forth, but they didn't seem to run very often. The room was VERY nice, jetted tub, spacious, clean. As we were in the back of the resort we looked at a cement wall, so couldn't relax on our patio. The pool in the adult section was nice and we could always find a seat even though the resort was completely booked. The beach area is beautiful and there was a special section for people staying in the adult only area. The gym and spa were great. Nightly entertainment was poor compared to other resorts we have stayed at. The food was excellent and many different choices....the Asian restaurant was fabulous! We did have a fantastic vacation, but expected more for what we paid.

Room Tip: If you are staying in the adult section ask for a room with a view of the pool.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Vedder12
Reviewed February 11, 2013

This was our second visit to Sandos Playacar. After last year, we decided to return for a wedding on the beach 2/2/2013. We'd been in touch with the wedding coordinator, Lupita, for almost a year in preparation for this event. She was incredibly helpful, organized, and prompt in answering our emails. When we met with her the day before the wedding, she had all of our information ready, and helped to straighten out the final details, I truly cannot say enough about how amazing she was at handling everything. We ended up having pretty much everything handled by Sandos, from my hairdo at the salon (Martha did a beautiful job) to the flowers to the photographer, and I couldn't be happier with the results.

We received an upgrade on our room because of the wedding, and it far exceeded our expectations. I had no idea what a "master suite" would be, but... WOW. It was huge, with a living room and bedroom, jacuzzi tub inside and a smaller hot tub on the balcony. The bed was actually two Queen beds pushed together, which was different but not in a bad way. It was on the third floor at the adults-only section, the furthest possible spot from the beach. It was about a 15-minute walk to the beach, but we didn't mind for such an amazing room. We were very close to the adults-only pool with the wonderful ceviche-- salmon and shrimp were everyone's favorites.

We dined at every restaurant while we were there, but our favorite, once again, was the Brazillian Rodizio. We decided to have our wedding dinner there, and the head waitress, Brenda, and the rest of her staff took excellent care of our party. Our chocolate wedding cake was the best dessert I had the whole time (as it should be). At breakfast every day, I enjoyed the mimosas and chocolate croissants, and my new husband was crazy about the omlette station. These were all available at both the main Festival Buffet and the smaller adults-only buffet closer to our room.

Sandos has a ton of activities throughout the day, We didn't participate in much, preferring to hang out by ourselves on the beach (and kiteboarding for my husband). They are focusing on physical activity/fitness and ecological awareness. There were free spin classes at the spa as well as Zumba and yoga on the beach.

There were shows every night, and the bars were hopping every evening, but things seem to die down around 11:00 or so, our group ventured into the disco a few times and basically had the place to ourselves. We did book a trip to Coco Bongo through a representative at Sandos, and had a great time there, staggering off the tour bus at 4:00 AM.

The beach is just the best place. I think everyone in our party enjoyed swimming in that wonderful blue water.

The service we received from every single staff member was outstanding. I could not have asked for a better wedding trip. We will be back again.

Room Tip: Master Suite is in adults-only section, quiet and beautiful, but far from the ocean.
3  Thank JenFox