“Everything we hoped it would be... and more!”

Sandos Playacar Beach Resort
Ranked #61 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed December 23, 2012

We just returned from two amazing weeks at Sandos Playacar – Select Club Adults Only section. We had a fantastic vacation at Sandos, as it has all the things we look for when choosing a vacation resort (the beach, the people, the service, the rooms, the pools, the food, the cleanliness (absolutely spotless))... we will be back.

Beach

The beach is truly spectacular. The sand is soft and white, and without any rocks. Many resorts in the area require water shoes when swimming due to rocks, however, at Sandos Playacar you can walk straight in with soft white sand between your toes. The other nice thing about the beach is it is the last resort on the strip, and so there are miles of open beach front making for a beautiful view as well as a wonderful place to walk with a nice view of the ocean and the jungle. There is a nice reef a 3 minute walk down the beach, which is great for snorkeling and seeing many nice colorful fish. Kayaks are available for free rental, which is a lot of fun on a calm day. There are other water sports activities available for a fee, such as Jetskis. As we had the Select Club wristband, we used that section of the beach and towards Christmas when there were more families at the resort it was especially nice as it was a lot quieter than the other section. One suggestion for the resort is to put a small sign on the palapas indicating they are for Adults Only Select Club as many newcomers did not see the sign when they arrived and had to move after setting themselves up which I imagine wouldn’t be much fun. The security people do a good job of ensuring only SC members use those facilities.

Rooms

The rooms are just like the photos on the website. They are beautiful! The rooms are extremely large, more like a Junior Suite. There is a nice flat screen TV, minibar, in-room safe, double sinks in the bathroom, large Jacuzzi tub, large balcony. Very nice furnishings that are in very good condition. The beds are very comfortable, firm but not too firm for me, perfect. Really nice pillows too; the first time I’ve liked a hotel pillow.

Restaurants

There are numerous restaurants to choose from. Many buffets for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and a la cartes for dinner a few times a week. The French restaurant (Le Gourmet) was my favorite for service (Luciano is fantastic) and ambience, however, I didn’t find a lot of items I would order. The Asian restaurant is my second favorite, lots of great items to choose from. The food at the buffets was very good, lots of selection. We found the food selection at the large buffet, The Festival, the best, but liked the Iztapalapa by the beach as it was less busy and closer to the beach. Due to the volume of people at The Festival buffet, there were times they were a little slow to refill food and a little slow to clear plates and refill drinks, but somewhat understandable. A few more staff members probably wouldn’t hurt as the areas they covered were too large I think. The Bagel Beach has snack foods, burgers, fries, etc during the day, and fancy bagels at night. Suggestion: We didn’t have a chance to try a bagel there as the bagel menu begins at 6 pm which is too close to dinner for us. It would be nice to have it available for lunch or from 3 pm onward.

Room service is available. We ordered it one day for the night before. The breakfast menu is limited, but if you have it delivered by 6:30 you can order from the late night menu the night before.

Entertainment

The entertainment was great! There were shows and dancing in the Plaza area most nights, and shows at the Theatre. The Michael Jackson show and Circus show were our favorites. Lots of fun! Always something to do.

Gym

The gym is located in the spa facilities and is quite large and has a lot of section for machines and weights and everything is in very good condition. I was impressed!

Pools

There are many beautiful pools. We used the one in the Adults Only section, and it was great. They have a swim up bar there which is nice, plus occasionally someone will come by to offer you a drink. Really beautiful pools in excellent condition.

The service was excellent. I think great service starts with management, and let me tell you the management staff they have are fantastic! Our fantastic service started with Enrique, the Web Relations manager. He ensured our room was exactly what we requested and even called us when we arrived to ensure we were happy (we had corresponded via Tripadvisor before arriving). Working with him is Daniela who is a really sweet person. They both helped us booking a la carte dinners and really treated us well. We had the pleasure of meeting Miguel S who manages all of the restaurants and bars in the resort. He is such a kind and caring person. He was very keen on ensuring we were enjoying our stay and did many things to make sure we were happy. Also, Martina, the Chief Conciege was fantastic! She was very kind and helpful and made sure we always had what we needed. Other people that stood out was Luis in Iztapalapa who always greeted us with a smile at breakfast and really hussled to make sure everyone in his section was looked after. Diony who does drink service by the Plaza and in the theatre is a pleasure. Always a large genuine smile, making you feel welcome and like a friend. Jaime from the entertainment section by the adults pools was a lot of fun as well.

It’s hard not to say more about this fanastic place. It’s very difficult to find a resort that allows you to check off all of the criteria of what you are looking for, but Sandos Playacar allowed us to do that. I miss the warm smiles and hearts at Sandos, and want to return as soon as possible. We will be back... and I will be recommending the resort to all of my friends!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Lovingthesun

Reviewed December 23, 2012

We spent a week from Dec. 15-22, 2012. Check in was quick and pleasant and Miguel was there to give us an overview of the resort with the large wall mount resort map. The lobby is large, has a nice bar and has an outside balcony totally surrounding the lobby. We were booked into bldg.22 and decided to walk to our room rather than use the transfer that was offered, that way we got to see some of the resort and figure out where to find things.
Our room was on the 2nd floor but because of the design of the bldg., there were no stairs to climb. Our entrance to the bldg. was just off of the pool and the 1st floor was actually down a set of stairs. The bldg. was a 4 story and there was an elevator available for those that needed it. The room was the standard hotel room with king bed, mini bar, bathroom with shower only and a small ground level balcony looking out onto the pool. The room was cleaned each day and the mini bar replenished with 4 beer and 5 or 6 soft drinks. There were 2 large bottles of water left on the counter top as well.
We had a 2 minute walk to the beach and never had to fight for a chair unless you wanted front row. There were lots of chairs to go around, almost too many, as people had difficulty finding a route to get to the beach, as there was no spacing between the rows of chairs. There were lots of palapas but only big enough for 2 chairs. The beach was divided into 3 sections, 1 for the Elite Club (black bracelet), 1 for the adult only ( gold bracelet) and the general section (blue bracelet). The beach was massive with lots of sand. The beach has been rebuilt after the many hurricanes eroded it. The sand was salvaged and was blown in and as a result there are lots of small pieces of sea shells which making walking in bare feet sometimes painful. There is 2 beach bars - the bagel bar and a new healthy drink bar. The Bagel bar is also a snack bar with day long food (hamburgers, hotdogs, fries, onion rings etc.. There was a buffet/a la Carte restaurant, the Mediterranean, beside the pool and just up from the beach. It is a buffet for breakfast and lunch and a seafood a la carte at night. It served as the pool bar as well.
The main buffet restaurant was beside our building and was adjoined with the Italian buffet. The main buffet was open for breakfast, lunch and dinner but the Italian was only open for dinner. The main buffet had lots of seating but I thought the buffet was on the small side, compared to other resorts I have been to, but had a good variety to choose from. The Italian side had a buffet with pastas, pizza and salads.
Just outside of the buffets was the Plaza where there were 2 large projection screens where you could watch movies early in the evening. There was other entertainment on the stage on certain nights. There was also the sports bar beside the plaza. It had pools tables and other games as well as some big screen TVs. The Meeting Place was at the entrance to the Plaza, buffets, pool and beach areas. It looks like it may have been the original lobby before the resort expanded. It was decorated nicely for Christmas with 2 large trees and lots of decorartion all around.
We tried 2 a la cartes while we were there, the steak house, El Gaucho, which was good and the Mediterranean (seafood) which was also good.
The whole resort is very large so we didn't spend much time in the area toward the lobby as we had everything we wanted close to our room and the beach.
There are "Vacation Club" sales people around but they are not pushy and are pleasant to talk to if you are interested in buying into the Club.
Overall, we enjoyed the resort and didn't have any complaints and would likely go back again, although we have never been to the same resort twice yet.

4  Thank hagler
Reviewed December 23, 2012

We (GF and I), who are in our early 30's arrived December 9 and stayed 2 weeks in the Adults Only Select Jr. Suite Rooms. USA Transfers worked great getting us from the airport to the resort. We were greeted in the lobby with a glass of Champaign and glass of beer. Check-in went smooth and all of our requests, including dinner reservations were taken care of. Enrique called our room when we arrived to ensure everything was ok...very thoughtful, professional & a nice welcoming touch to start our stay by Enrique. He had Guest Services call us again the next day to confirm everything was okay with the room.

During our stay, we also checked out 5th Avenue, climbed Coba Ruins, snorkelled with the turtles at Akumal Beach and visited the Tulum Ruins. Transportation included the ADO, taxi's and collectivos, which all worked well.

The Resort: The resort is beautiful and very large. We stayed in the Adults only section (room 9358). We timed it one evening and it took us exactly 11 minutes to walk from our room to the beach. We saw a Howler Monkey, Spider Monkey, Iguana, Donkeys, cats (Gateau) and Coatis on our daily walks to the beach. The animals add to the charm of the resort and it appears they are all well taken care of. You must be careful not to feed the animals though, because of the long-term harm to the animals. The walk to the beach is very pleasant and whenever walking by a Sandos employee we were always greeted with a smile and a Hola! Sandos staff is very friendly and work very hard to make guests stay as enjoyable and pleasant as possible. We were told that all rooms have wifi but that was not the case. We had wifi connection the first day and then it disappeared the rest of our stay. But there is a great wifi connection in the Lobby and Meeting Point. We were very impressed with the cleanliness of the washrooms; even the ones by the beach were always spotless. My GF also liked the fact that all of the stalls are completely private. We did find that lighting was a bit of an issue around the resort, especially in the evening when the sun is down; but that appears to be part of Sandos eco-friendly philosophy. But a little more lighting is needed around the resort at night and early mornings before sunrise, from a safety perspective. We walked to Playa del Carmen one day from Sandos and it took us about 40 minutes…we got to explore all the resorts and the neighbourhood of Playacar.

Pools: We are glad that we stayed in the Adults Select section as the main pool close to the beach appeared very busy and loud with children and splashing all day. It also appeared that the main pool was a tad small for the size of the resort. Fortunately, the adults only pool was perfect; very large, with a nice swim-up bar, lots of sun and plenty of loungers & palapas. Pool temperature was perfect. One suggestion to make this area perfect would be to add a heated Jacuzzi tub.

The Room: Room was exactly what we asked for! Select Club Adults section, 3rd floor pool view, king bed. GF loved the room & in suite Jacuzzi. Room is very large with a king size bed, and beautiful large balcony. We also had the Romance Package and our room was decorated with red flower pedals, a bottle of Champaign and towels folded up like animals. Antonia our cleaning lady for our stay was amazing…room was cleaned spotless every day. We came by a couple times while she was cleaning our room and we could see the thoroughness of her work as she was mopping the room and made us new towel animals almost every day. We also had fresh towels every day. Mini bar was stocked sporadically, usually when we would run into the guy with the cart, or if we made special requests for mini-bar items through Guest Services. One problem we had was the television stopped working. The maintenance guy would fix it, and then stop working again. After this happened three times, I requested a new TV be installed in our room and that was done at the time we requested with no inconvenience.

Food/Restaurants: There are several buffets restaurants and I believe 6 a la carte restaurants, which require reservations (except for the Mexican restaurant). Food at the main “Festival” Buffet was excellent; every night there was a different theme, to go along with usual buffet food. We ate at there most days for lunch since it was closest to the beach with the best selection. We had dinner at Festival probably 4-5 times during our stay. At Festival you could also eat healthy, with a section of freshly cooked chicken, fish and beef right off the grill. The other nights for dinner we had the opportunity to try each of the a la carte restaurants. Our favourite was the Mexican restaurant, which we tried twice, the El Gaucho Steak House and Brazilian Rodizio. The Asiana was also very good and that was where we had our Romantic dinner where we had a special romantic table, with service and a free picture, which turned out very nice. We weren’t as impressed with the French or Mediterranean restaurants. For breakfast, we ate every morning at the breakfast buffet in the Adults Only section (turns into the steak house at night). Overall the service and selection was great at all the restaurants. The staff work very hard and are very professional at what they do. Not once were our orders mixed up, and the only small problem was the French and Brazilian restaurants didn’t seem to have our reservations when we arrived but they quickly found us a table when I showed them the dinner ticket receipt (make sure you bring those). We ordered room service twice; food arrived quickly; we were told 35 minutes and it was there in 10-15 minutes. Room service portions are small (e.g. chicken wings comes with 4 wings), so we ordered 4-5 dishes for the two of us to share and that was plenty. We received an invitation to a VIP BBQ on the beach for the last night of our stay, and we found that to be the best meal of our stay. I also won a prize including a Sandos hat and fanny pack, which I proudly wore the remainder of the evening. We did not have an opportunity to try Bagel Beach.

The Beach: Beach & grounds are beautiful! I’ve been to some amazing beaches, including Hawaii and South Padre and the Sandos beach tops them all! The sand is so white and comfortable, the beach is huge, and the water is beautiful crystal clear. There are different sections on the beach, one for general (blue wristband), one for Royal Elite (black wristband) in the middle, and one for Adults only (gold wristband), which has a smoking and non-smoking section. The three separate sections makes for three separate beach experiences, Adults only is much quieter (which we liked) then being closer to all the action and music in the general section. We only discovered the smoking and non-smoking section near the end of our trip; one suggestion would be for Sandos to make that more clear as we accidentally set up in the smoking section for a good part of the time; we are non-smokers are were somewhat bothered by the smoke. And when we moved to the non-smoking section, there were people smoking there. So I think the sections/signage just need to be made clearer. And there are lots of topless women on the beach, mostly in the Adults Sections and Royal Elite, but just a caution in case you are bringing children. There’s a beach bar and a snack area in the middle of Sandos beach that features burgers, hot dogs, fries, chicken fingers, salads, and ice cream. GF and I walked about 30 minutes each direction of the Sandos beach to explore and look for seashells. The direction opposite Playa del Carmen is private and undeveloped but very beautiful.

Entertainment: Entertainment team is excellent. We saw the Fire Show, Michael Jackson, Latin Dancing, and part of Sandos Idol (karaoke). I also got to play beach volleyball one morning, which I found very enjoyable. The Sandos Entertainment Team does a wonderful job in organizing activities. There was also Yoga and Zumba on the beach every morning around 10:00am. GF and I were out late one night shopping on 5th Avenue so on our way back decided to check out the Sandos Disco around 11:00pm. We ended up having a great time there; there was probably 20-30 people dancing, including Sandos staff who appear to love to dance! I can’t confirm, but the drinks might be extra strong in the Disco in order to get people dancing! A couple evenings (I believe every Tuesday) Mexican vendors are invited to the resort to sell their crafts etc. near the meeting point.

Timeshare: No timeshare bothers during check-in, but after a few days, an invite for a special coupon book showed up under our room door that said we needed to go to reception to claim it. When I arrived at the lobby, they referred me to the timeshare desk. The timeshare gentleman was quite rude. When I told him I was in a rush to get to the beach, he said that if I didn’t have time to talk about the “Vacation Club” (he said there were no ‘timeshares’ at Sandos), then he would not give me the discount booklet.

Spa & Gym: We used both the gym and the spa several times. My GF and I both loved the water area of the spa. We really enjoyed the spa hot-tub Jacuzzi. I used the gym a few times to work off all the extra eating, and to keep up with my regular work out schedule! The gym is a first class facility and the nicest/largest I have ever seen at a resort hotel. We also played tennis one day, which was enjoyable, but very hot out. If you want to play tennis, make sure to reserve a court in advance, as they are typically booked for the day by late morning.

Overall: Sandos and Enrique really took care of us…everything Sandos promised to us was delivered, and more! The resort and our room were beautiful and the entire Sandos team are so friendly and go above and beyond to make their guests stay enjoyable. Every day, my GF and I would talk about how much we loved everything about the resort. Next time we visit the Riviera Maya, we will definitely be staying at Sandos!

6  Thank gbill2004
Reviewed December 21, 2012

We arrived December 20th. Once we checked in (Select Club) we went around the resort to see where everthing was. This is a big resort now that the Adults section is there. As we were walking around everyone who worked there from Maintenance, Gardeners etc, always made eye contact and said hi.Our room at the Adults only section was a Junior suite and was very nice and clean. We had a long walk from the Adults section to the main complex (Meeting Point) but the walk was well worth it. The walk was senic with the different plants, Palm tress, Aguave plants and wild life. There is also a shuttle that will take you to the meeting point if you do not feel like the walk.
The food there was excellent as there was a good selection for everyone. We had the opportunity to try all the el la cartes and they were all great. We went to see Enrique who is from web relations, he set us up with what we needed. If there was one thing I would like them to change...is at the steak house. I ordered a T-bone steak and when it came out, it looked like a T-bone but was as thick as a fast fry. It tasted great but I am use to at least a 1/2 to 3/4 inch steak. There was always a snack bar and a bar around the corner so you were never far from a drink or something to eat. The Adults pool you could get shrimp nachos...which was good.
The Entertainment at Sandos is really good as well. We see the Entertainment staff who starts there day around 9, 9:30 am and go all day to do different activities with everyone and they still need time to go and rehearse their show. After the show they come back to the meeting point and do other things with the people. They are always on the go trying to get people involved in different activities. We met one entertainer there who was just training. His name is Jaime and he is so outgoing it is amazing. Just from introducing ourselves once he always remembered our names. I think their day ends around 11 pm. To put in that many hours a day and still have a smile and say hi, is a lot for a person to do.
The beach area is big with nice white sand that is like flower. The ocean is warm (warmer than the pools). They even have a life guard on duty which is an excellent idea. Most resorts don't have this. Whenever you were out in the ocean there was always a school of different sized fish swimming around so don't forget your snorkle gear.
The bar areas are good too. The can make some pretty interesting drinks and always tasted good.
We went to the spa one day as they had a special on. I recommend everyone to go there and try it out. The staff there really knows what they are doing.
All in all we had a great relaxing time at Sandos. I am one who needs to be doing something at all times...but with the nice walk to the beach, I felt content just to relax. We went to Playa for about 2 hours and just wanted to get back to the resort. We will definately go back to this resort and I recommend everyone to give it a try.

4  Thank Darrin K
Reviewed December 20, 2012

This was our 10th time here. Been to other resorts, but we keep coming back to our friends here.
The staff was the best ever, and we will mention names here, and critique the hotel after.
We had probably 30 staff during our stay. Every one was super friendly and helpful, really.
The new director Ivan was around all the time. Tommaso, & (new) chief Martina, were very helpful.
We met Daniela, Enrique, Miguel S., and David G. All of these folks are managers, and all are there to help you. Get to know them.
Check in was smooth, and Saadu, Paulino and Cesar took care of our bags, and trips.
Rodrigo, at the bar, Valentina, and Dominga, at the buffet...best service ever.
Ask for Luciano at the Gourmet. Seek out and meet these great folks. They will help you, and so will the Meeting Point staff! They booked a dentist for me, and he was good. Doctor on site too.
We stay at the beach side. It is older and the beds are "firm". We like it. As our friends Marijke and Pim said there are different levels. Upgrade if you wish. The upper area has a swim up bar..adults only.
We had a massage with Lidia, and it sure took the flying pains away. Great spa, and service.
The buffets were really good. There is food from a-z. At breakfast, anything from toast to omelets, and more. I like to try some Mexican foods...some I like, and some not. But, it's all fun, why not.
I tried out what I thought was speaking Spanish...the staff tried to help, and we all laughed!
We liked the Gourmet rest. Wish they had the the blue lights again at the Mediterranean.
Also last year there was more background music, and a harp player at breakfast.
This is all minor stuff compared to the overall experience. Monkeys at our building, agouties, and coatis, and iguanas.
There is an artificial reef, and you can get full snorkel gear for an hour, free. Fish and more.
Great beach bar service. We will get down again in May, and maybe again in Dec.
We do not have kids, but there is a great kids club all day....
This is one great place that we love.
Please note. The service staff just earns a few dollars a day, so tips are very much appreciated. $2 US bills, I think, are good luck.
Hope this helps.
Also, there are some improvements to the facilities, and ongoing work.

Room Tip: Look at the layout of the Hotel, and judge if you want to be close to the beach...a little more acti...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank TerryLyndaF
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I recently vacationed at Sandos from Nov 17-25th 2012. I do not have anything bad to say about this place! It was my third time to Mexico but my first to Playa Del Carmen and I will definitely be returning soon. The beach is absolutely breathtaking. I travelled with a friend of mine who was teaching yoga at the resort for the week.

Rooms: Our room was in the Adult section and was gorgeous. We had a massive room with a great bathroom (jacuzzi tub but never used it). It was quite far away from the beach however there was a shuttle always available and we just walked, it only took about 5 minutes. We never even took advantage of the adult only section as we wanted to be closer to all the action however it is a quiet area if that is what you prefer.

Beach: So clean. The best part was you could walk for a very long time, twice I walked all the way into playa del carmen (45 minutes, 1 way). The water is so turquoise and being in the adult section we had a private section on the beach, always chairs available.

Food: The buffets were average resort food I would say, lots of selection but after a week you tend to get a little sick of it. The great part was the restaurants were awesome and there was so much selection. We ate at the Asian, Mediterranean and Mexican (twice). The food at the restaurants was much better than the buffet so I would recommend booking nights there.

Service: The service was phenomenal. Everyone from the front desk staff to the bartenders and cleaning staff were so friendly and on the ball. The bartenders were always smiling (especially Rodriguo!).

Entertainment Staff: We loved the entertainment staff! Being younger ourselves (same age as the staff) we made really good friends with all the entertainment crew. They were always there to drag us off our loungers and participate in an activity. My friend Sarah was doing the yoga so that was definitely a highlight of the trip everyday. I feel like we did every activity everyday! I think what made the trip so memorable was the entertainment staff. Special thanks to Kiani for always having a smile on her face and making the trip so great for us, I never thought I'd leave making such a good friend!

Off Site: I went to Cozumel one day, only worth it if you want to go to the beaches on the other side of the island. The ferry ride was brutal, so wavy and everyone was getting sea sick. I was visiting a friend so I didn't really explore the island much! One of the best nights was buying tickets to Coco Bongo. We had a blast. If you are into the bar scene I would highly recommend going, it was worth the money!

Overall we loved Sandos and I can't wait to go back. Already trying to think of when I can squeeze in another trip. Every single thing is amazing about this resort. I would say the only down side was that when we went (two mid twenty girls) it was either an older crowd or families with kids. Other than that it was fabulous.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Allison L
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Like past years back to Sandos Playacar for the first 2 weeks of December.
Since the new riviera section is opened we have our room in that part of the resort. For the first time we had a room in the only adults area (thats the 9000 block).
check-in was very quick and it was easy to find our room, top floor with a great view over the pool.

Most of the meals we had in the buffet restaurant as you have so many different choises and if we wanted to have a medium grilled steak or chickenbreast without herbs/oil it never was a problem to make it.
The only confusing was that one day they bring you to your table and the other day you have to find an empty table by yourself and it took longer to get a drink.
Our second week there was more staff in the buffet restaurant, so we think they are working on it.
As we love to eat meat we have been to the steakhouse and brazilian twice, excellent !

In Sandos Playacar you have 3 service levels : blue, gold and black, with separated areas at the beach and some bars.
For European people this is not common, so please take notice when you book this hotel.
We booked select club adults only = gold

Compared to other years the animation team was smaller, so they had to work very hard to entertain the guests and there was less time for them to have a chat with various guests.
Zumba and volleyball (2 nets) were great !

This time they had a weekly programm, with every night at 20.30 a show (we loved circus, decades and capoeira) and at 21.30 music (dj, latin band, reggae band etc.)
Animation team was around to teach you how to dance and have fun with them.
As the music is very loud we missed sometimes a nice bar with background music to have a relaxed chat and a drink with other guests.

At 23.00 the hotel is getting to sleep, you can go to the disco, but in the disco there is no entertainment and not so many people in it (ony with a wedding party).

We missed the beach- and poolparties but we loved the only-at-invitation-vip-bbq-party-at-the-beach !

The resort is very clean and they do more and more to be "eco-friendly: that is a great improvement however it is not easy to drink a cocktail wiithout a straw on the beach ....
A a new toilet building is built close to the beach, and around the beach bar you have now a lot of chairs and tables to sit down in the shade to have a drink and a snack.

If you want to have a relaxed resort, great friendly staff, where you can be active or lazy , all buildings/ground and rooms are very clean, with great variety of (repeating) guests (european/american/canadian/south-american) and a good base for excursions : go to sandos playacar !

See you in 2013 !!!!