We just returned from two amazing weeks at Sandos Playacar – Select Club Adults Only section. We had a fantastic vacation at Sandos, as it has all the things we look for when choosing a vacation resort (the beach, the people, the service, the rooms, the pools, the food, the cleanliness (absolutely spotless))... we will be back.
The beach is truly spectacular. The sand is soft and white, and without any rocks. Many resorts in the area require water shoes when swimming due to rocks, however, at Sandos Playacar you can walk straight in with soft white sand between your toes. The other nice thing about the beach is it is the last resort on the strip, and so there are miles of open beach front making for a beautiful view as well as a wonderful place to walk with a nice view of the ocean and the jungle. There is a nice reef a 3 minute walk down the beach, which is great for snorkeling and seeing many nice colorful fish. Kayaks are available for free rental, which is a lot of fun on a calm day. There are other water sports activities available for a fee, such as Jetskis. As we had the Select Club wristband, we used that section of the beach and towards Christmas when there were more families at the resort it was especially nice as it was a lot quieter than the other section. One suggestion for the resort is to put a small sign on the palapas indicating they are for Adults Only Select Club as many newcomers did not see the sign when they arrived and had to move after setting themselves up which I imagine wouldn’t be much fun. The security people do a good job of ensuring only SC members use those facilities.
The rooms are just like the photos on the website. They are beautiful! The rooms are extremely large, more like a Junior Suite. There is a nice flat screen TV, minibar, in-room safe, double sinks in the bathroom, large Jacuzzi tub, large balcony. Very nice furnishings that are in very good condition. The beds are very comfortable, firm but not too firm for me, perfect. Really nice pillows too; the first time I’ve liked a hotel pillow.
There are numerous restaurants to choose from. Many buffets for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and a la cartes for dinner a few times a week. The French restaurant (Le Gourmet) was my favorite for service (Luciano is fantastic) and ambience, however, I didn’t find a lot of items I would order. The Asian restaurant is my second favorite, lots of great items to choose from. The food at the buffets was very good, lots of selection. We found the food selection at the large buffet, The Festival, the best, but liked the Iztapalapa by the beach as it was less busy and closer to the beach. Due to the volume of people at The Festival buffet, there were times they were a little slow to refill food and a little slow to clear plates and refill drinks, but somewhat understandable. A few more staff members probably wouldn’t hurt as the areas they covered were too large I think. The Bagel Beach has snack foods, burgers, fries, etc during the day, and fancy bagels at night. Suggestion: We didn’t have a chance to try a bagel there as the bagel menu begins at 6 pm which is too close to dinner for us. It would be nice to have it available for lunch or from 3 pm onward.
Room service is available. We ordered it one day for the night before. The breakfast menu is limited, but if you have it delivered by 6:30 you can order from the late night menu the night before.
The entertainment was great! There were shows and dancing in the Plaza area most nights, and shows at the Theatre. The Michael Jackson show and Circus show were our favorites. Lots of fun! Always something to do.
The gym is located in the spa facilities and is quite large and has a lot of section for machines and weights and everything is in very good condition. I was impressed!
There are many beautiful pools. We used the one in the Adults Only section, and it was great. They have a swim up bar there which is nice, plus occasionally someone will come by to offer you a drink. Really beautiful pools in excellent condition.
The service was excellent. I think great service starts with management, and let me tell you the management staff they have are fantastic! Our fantastic service started with Enrique, the Web Relations manager. He ensured our room was exactly what we requested and even called us when we arrived to ensure we were happy (we had corresponded via Tripadvisor before arriving). Working with him is Daniela who is a really sweet person. They both helped us booking a la carte dinners and really treated us well. We had the pleasure of meeting Miguel S who manages all of the restaurants and bars in the resort. He is such a kind and caring person. He was very keen on ensuring we were enjoying our stay and did many things to make sure we were happy. Also, Martina, the Chief Conciege was fantastic! She was very kind and helpful and made sure we always had what we needed. Other people that stood out was Luis in Iztapalapa who always greeted us with a smile at breakfast and really hussled to make sure everyone in his section was looked after. Diony who does drink service by the Plaza and in the theatre is a pleasure. Always a large genuine smile, making you feel welcome and like a friend. Jaime from the entertainment section by the adults pools was a lot of fun as well.
It’s hard not to say more about this fanastic place. It’s very difficult to find a resort that allows you to check off all of the criteria of what you are looking for, but Sandos Playacar allowed us to do that. I miss the warm smiles and hearts at Sandos, and want to return as soon as possible. We will be back... and I will be recommending the resort to all of my friends!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa is an all-Inclusive hotel in Playa del Carmen with both family and adult sections. We are ideally located on a magnificent white sandy beach in the gated community of Playacar, within walking distance to downtown Playa and Fifth Avenue. Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa is located only forty-five minutes from the Cancun International Airport, and the pier serving ferries to Cozumel is a short distance from our property.Playacar is a private, master-planned community situated on the southern edge of downtown Playa del Carmen. Guests at Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa enjoy this exclusive community’s impressive infrastructure, including an 18-hole golf course designed by Robert Von Hagge, the Xaman-Ha Aviary, pristine biking paths, and Mayan ruins, accessible to the public for hiking.Riviera Maya is a protected region where many remaining artifacts from the fascinating Mayan civilization can be found. Surrounded by Mayan archeological zones, such as those at Tulum, Coba, and Chicen-Itza, this Playa del Carmen hotel successfully preserves a strong sense of Mayan culture onsite, adding an authentic feel and flavor to the vacation experience in Playacar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Evoline ltd, HotelsforEveryone, getaroom.com, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Sandos Playacar Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandos Playacar Beach Hotel
- Hotel Sandos Playacar Beach
- Beach Playacar Resort Sandos
- Sandos Playacar Resort
- Sandos Playa Del Carmen
- Gala Resort Playacar
- Sandos Gala Playacar
- Sandos Playacar Mexico
- Sandos Resort
- Playacar Sandos