“Sandos Playacar Excellent!”

Ranked #64 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Littleton, Colorado
“Sandos Playacar Excellent!”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Hello all. I usually don't do this kind.......wait. Only once before have I done this kind of thing and that was a restaurant. This is the whole package this time. Sandos Playacar continues to amaze my family again and again! Just when I thought it can't get much better it has. The Beach is one of the most beautiful in the world. The rooms are always clean, beautiful, modern, and kept that way. The different Restaurants are really managed well and the food has gotten better every time. Ranging from the unbelievable breakfasts to the excellent lunches to the choice of a variety of Good to Great Restaurants. Which leaves me to the most important part of this review. The service! The people of Sandos have to be the best in the world. Always smiling and ready to help with any of our needs or questions. My family would always meet for breakfast and a young man named Miguel Lopez Gonzalez made our breakfasts feel like we were Royalty. A huge smile from him and his close co-workers and the excellent service started our day off perfectly everyday. Also Vincenti in the Select club and his people were also very excellent! Service to my wife and I are Key. Period. It was delivered better there than in almost any other place we have been. We just got off the plane and we are already saying we can't wait to return. Thank You so much Sandos! Hope to see you soon!

Room Tip: Room close to the Beach
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank dam023

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,821)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed November 5, 2012

In october we visited Sandos Playacar. The hotel is set up very nice. The area consists actually of 2 hotels, the first hotel is where most people arrive their first time and the second part is located at the beach side.

The service of Sandos Playacar is very good. You will find staff nearly everywhere on the premisses. Besides the fact that they are always there when you need them, they are also extremely helpful and will do nearly everything for you.

All together the stay was great, the drinks were not too bad as well and (luckily) the weather was all good.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank basve
Austin, Texas
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This was our third time to this resort. We are very happy with this resort and its amenities. The rooms are clean, the furnishings are up to date and the support staff is friendly. I consider the food to be good considering the large amounts they have to make. I especially like the made to order grill in the buffet area. The beach is awesome and the hotel provides excellent chairs, palapas, and hammocks to enjoy the sun or no sun. The daily activities can keep you as busy as you want to be. The resort and the area of Playacar and central Playa del Carmen are, in my opinion, very safe. We have never felt uneasy or worried about any of the things we here in the media about Mexico. Fly into Cancun and take a van down to Playa del Carmen. I would avoid flying into Cozumel and taking he ferry over because the water can be choppy and there is always the risk that the high speed ferry may be cancelled due to high winds or weather.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Joe F
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We stayed at the Sandos Playacar for our anniversary and everything was wonderful, the service was great, every employee was beyond nice, the gourmet restaurants were excellent, the lunch buffets were alright, delicious desserts tho.They have great entertainment every night, the mariachi night was great!!
Our room was a junior suite, nothing super luxurious but spacious and nice, the bathroom had a huge jacuzzi, the worst part was probably the bed which was very hard.
we stayed far from the beach,this is an adults only area, this is not a party pool, is meant to be relaxin.
One bad thing was the people trying to sell you memberships, no means no guys!

Thank you to Milton at front desk and all the fabulous waiters,waitresses, bartenders cooks and chefs. Everybody was awesome, the only rudeness we witness was from guests, at the breakfast buffet one lady wasn't using the tongs to grab food, she touched several pieces of bread! Another man was being very obnoxious and when somebody pointed that too him he said " is Mexico you can do whatever u want! "
You can't, please have manners.
I had to write this after I read horrible reviews from people who supposedly stayed at sandos during the same time, different people see things differently, but some of those reviews are either lies or exaggerations.
I stayed in room 9245 oct 22-oct 26 2012

• Stayed October 2012
6 Thank DevonM6
Vancouver
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Let me start by saying that like you I have scoured the internet looking for reviews for every hotel I had an interest in visiting. In fact, I still searched for hotels in Playacar despite traveling there more than 14 times since 1999. So, I will tell you that I am going to get to the point and be direct since that is what I always appreciated about reviews. So here goes:

SANDOS PLAYACAR BEACH RESORT (not to be confused with Caracol)

WHEN: October 17-31st 2012. This is my 4th time to Sandos, but the last time was in 2006.

WHO WE ARE: A Canadian couple, 36 and 29 no children

BEACH: The stretch of beach in Playacar is the best the Riviera has to offer. I have stayed in resorts from Tulum to Cancun. Why I say its the best is because it has NO rocks or coral throughout the beach and water. If you dont mind having to wear water shoes maybe you might think others are better. I think it is ridiculous to stay at any hotel, no matter how gorgeous if you have to wear any kind of shoe into the water to get past the rocks. At Sandos Playacar there are NO ROCKS on the beach or in the water. The sand is luxurious and white. And the perk of this resort is that it is literally the last one on the strip so you can walk and walk down the beach and there are no other hotels, simply fabulous. Sandos has done a perfect job of reclaiming their beach since the hurricane of years ago. There are NO SANDBAGS in the water and the beach is groomed clean nightly, it's true; you can see the groom marks in the sand at the start of each day & it's also done in the Palapa and seating areas, this is fantastic. I would suggest this beach for everyone of all ages. NO ROCKS, NO SAND BAGS, CLEAN, AND WELL CARED FOR. ****************************

THE RESORT: The resort has grown since I was here last but it is not a compound like RIU or Bahia Principe. There is the Hacienda section that was there before, the main rooms that sit around the pool and beach. And then a few minutes back from the original lobby(now called "The Meeting Point") is another lobby and a series of additional hotel room blocks. Now, don't be confused. The resort is very easy to sort out and to get around in. We stayed in the Adults Only section in a Junior Suite in the 2nd to last building (the 9000 block) I can tell you that they do offer a shuttle to the "Meeting Point" and to the rooms at the beach, but to be honest we didn't use the shuttle once. We walked along the beautiful brick walkway lined with lush vegetation, subtle and appropriate lighting. We walked a leisurely pace and the longest it ever took us to get from the door of our room to the lounges on the beach was 8 minutes. It was way longer when we would encounter Poncho (one of the resident Iguanas), or if we stopped and picked some grass and fed it to the donkeys (yes the resort has 3 rescue donkeys in their own corral, very unique to Sandos), or if we pet one of the 6 resident cats that roam about the resort.(DO NOT WORRY! They are not feral, they won't bite, they actual are fed by the hotel at regular times and the in same location so the cats will not look for food elsewhere. These cats are also rescue cats and have been neutered/spayed) or if my husband stopped to interact with the Coati (google them) they look like a small raccoon. They are sometimes curious about people but won't hound you unless you are planning to feed them. They will approach you, and either sit and wait or often they will stand on their hind legs and take the food gently from your fingers with their little paws or with their long snout. They typically use their long(ish) nose to sort through the top of the soil/earth to find what they want to eat. The females and babies travel together and the males are exiled when it is not breeding season. So you will see 2 juvenile males near the 9000 building, and one old timer with a few battle scars near the 8000 building. They were no bother, we saw small children, seniors, adults and teenagers interacting with them. Sandos puts up signs about all the wildlife and unique vegetation throughout the resort in a at least 3 languages. I should also note that the Coatis are only found in the walkway area alongside the 8000-9000 buildings and usually only in the day as they are not nocturnal.
Finally, about the rooms and resort I would say: if you want simple peace and quiet stay in the 8000/9000 buildings, we didn't hear a single thing after the pool closed at 7ish. We loved the peace and quiet and the short walk to the main restaurant or beach was like a nice and gentle introduction back to the reality of people and general noises. I have stayed in the other Hacienda junior suites but I have to say the 9000 building is a better choice for us.

OUR ROOM: Our room was fantastic.We were on the second floor and in 15 days had no immediate neighbours. We had a gorgeous King Size bed, and while some state that it is too hard I can't really agree. I found them to be firm but not like sleeping on concrete. We slept great. We did ask for extra pillows and we got them immediately. The room also had a separate sofa that was also a pull out bed. It had a coffee table, and 2 modern, fabric chairs. The decor is very much improved and not so cliche as other typical Mayan resorts. Our rooms had real art on the walls, and none of that bright orange, pink, blue hued art on the walls. There were wall sconces, reading pocket lights above each side of the bed(individually controlled), wall sconces above the nightstands, lights on the ceiling fan, lights in the entrance, lights above the jacuzzi, lights for the shower, and lights and ventilation in the separate toilet area. I thought it was fantastic that the lights could be individually controlled as well as having a master switch when you wanted them all off.
Our TV was a 42" LG LCD flat screen and it was amazing. Was pretty awesome to sit in the double jacuzzi tub with the jets on and watch a movie with perfect clarity in sound and resolution. This was a great way to end each night. (And the soak in the tub keeps your skin nice and moisturized after a day in the sun!)
I can't fault the room. It was fabulous. If you forced me to say anything negative I would say that I would have preferred a dresser drawer instead of 3 closets.(One with shelves(4), and a double door closet with hangers.) There was a nice sitting bench under the TV that was lined with lush fabric so we used that to place our clothes on when needed. There is also a low level 2 shelf space adjacent to the minibar so we used that for some stuff too.
The BATHROOM: the bathroom was great as well. Double sink and vanities. The jacuzzi tub was opposite of the shower and set against the wall. There are 2 rich brown wood bi-fold doors that open into the rest of the room. I found that these provided more than enough privacy when necessary. I also liked that the shower was glass, and that the toilet was also separated from the bathroom by thick frosted glass. It provided a good sense of privacy. I should also EMPHASIZE that THERE IS TONS OF WATER PRESSURE AND TONS OF HOT WATER. There is NO SMELL to the water. To be honest I was stunned that there was so much hot water that we filled the tub in no time and with hot water in abundance. If water pressure and temperature are important to you then for this reason alone I would pick this hotel over any other. :-)
ROOM SERVICE: Room service was quite efficient, but I think they could add a few more items, especially during meal times. However, the choices they do have are delicious. I only mention that a few items could be added is because I don't eat most meat products, and didn't want just some fruit or cake. My husband on the other hand loved the quesadillas, real chicken wings, avocado stuffed with shrimp, guacamole with tortillas, and the cheesecake. So truly I have no real complaint. I am fussy.
FOOD IN GENERAL: I wasn't even going to write about this because it drives me bonkers that people say it gets boring in the buffets. I think this is because there are too many choices that we find ourselves simply overwhelmed and keep going to the same items. For example, EVERY BREAKFAST (we ate at both the restricted Gold(adults only) breakfast buffet & the regular main buffet, food was identical and excellent) every breakfast includes the following options: fried eggs, scrambled eggs, poached eggs, hard boiled eggs, soft boiled eggs, eggs over easy, made-to-order omelets, egg white omelet, eggs with cheese, pancakes, waffles, french toast, cinnamon buns, doughnuts, croissants, rye bread, pumpernickel, white, whole wheat, bagels, pastry, fruit pastry, coconut pastry, fried banana, smoked salmon lox, chicken breast (yes at breakfast!), hash brown patties, potato wedges, bacon, ham, sausage, fresh papaya, pineapple, peach, kiwi, dragon-fruit, berries, yogurt with banana and granola, nuts, figs, swiss cheese, jalapeno cheese, sliced meats, champagne and orange juice to make your own mimosa! 8 kinds of fruit juice in chilled containers for self serve, 11 kinds of cereal including real fruit loops and all bran. and waiter service for anything else you might need. YES THIS IS AT EVERY BREAKFAST!!! How is this boring? If you want an omelet with everything they have prepped ham, cheese, peppers, onions, tomatoes, etc for you to point out and they will add. If you want to grab some chicken or lox they will gladly take it and slice it up for you and put it in your omelet without a moments waste. AND THERE IS ALWAYS SOMEONE THERE WHO SPEAKS PERFECT ENGLISH. Most staff have more than basic knowledge and Sandos has done a great job at encouraging this. But, I had to remind myself that I am in THEIR country and their language is Spanish. I never felt that somehow I was ignored or brushed off because of my lack of Spanish language skills. Every staff member went out of their way to ensure that they were interpreting exactly what I was asking for or sometimes just chatting about. I am not going to list all the lunch, dinner, dessert and snack offerings for it would be pointless. You will not get bored. And yes some of the general service food will be mild, because it has to be. It is for everyone to enjoy young and old. However, there are also dishes that are spicy like fish in chipotle sauce or sweet chili thai salmon or spicy buffalo chicken wings. if you want anything spiced up simply ask. There are always at least 4 actual chefs observing the buffets, not to mention at least 20 workers in the buffet area. If you don't see what you want, JUST ASK. We did, and every time we got what we wanted and each time it was brought to our table within 2 minutes or less. You will also receive personal waiter service and your used plate will be removed from your table before you finish your last bite. They don't want you to have to wait even a second to go grab yourself a second round, dessert, or simply to rest your arms on the table. It seems the focus is on you to simply enjoy yourself at each moment and Sandos and its staff are leading the industry at this. Rest assured you will be blown away at their dinner selections and dessert. Things like fresh shwarma, curry rice, jambalaya, fresh grouper, prawn linguini, california roll, spring roll, your choice of grilled chicken, sirloin, steak, mussels, fish, prawn, pork chop, and every kind of pasta combination you can think of. Even coconut gelato, and tiramisu. No complaints about the food and its that simple.
SERVICE: Oh wow, the service is beyond exceptional. We felt like royalty, but then we realized everyone is treated this way. Our cleaning lady was awesome (Magdalena). I understand some people complain that their rooms were cleaned later in the afternoon. Here's the thing. If you have the do not disturb sign up they won't bother you. If you are in your room you will hear them knock. You can ask them if they can come back later or in our case we simply said tomorrow would be fine and grabbed some extra towels. The cleaning and the minibar are done by separate people so you can always call the operator and ask that the minibar be restocked at anytime. We left our room by 8ish each day and our room was clean by the time we came back to change for lunch. REMEMBER YOU CAN CALL THE FRONT DESK OR STOP BY ON YOUR WAY TO BEACH/MEAL AND MAKE A REQUEST FOR YOUR ROOM at anytime. Ask for it there as opposed to regretting it once you are home.
BEACH SERVICE AND BEACH BAR: The first 1/2 day we were in the adults only section and didn't see a single server or the snack bar. I was kind of embarrassed because I had told my husband how much better Sandos was then the other hotel that we had stayed at before. So, I went to the front desk and inquired. They were very kind and shared with me that the beach area was being switched around and a new snack bar and Vegas style bar was being built so the current snack bar was deconstructed. They did tell me that there should be adequate beach (bar)service and within 5 minutes of being back at the lounge chairs there were 2 servers in the sections. However, by our second day we enjoyed going to the beach bar ourselves because we became chummy with a few of the bartenders. And I do mean bartenders. I will tell you specifically the names of the guys who I felt made the best drinks. And some days I wanted a strong drink, some times no alcohol, and sometimes additional items like banana in my pina colada, or malibu in my bahama mama. They got it right every time. So here are the best bartenders/servers at the beach bar:
Jose Alfredo (name tag reads Alfredo) he will get you what ever you like, and it doesn't depend on tips. He is enthusiastic, funny, clever, and his english is perfect. He even surprised us at our lounge bed on the beach with 2 drinks for each of us. That was pretty cool.
Jose (name tags reads Jose) I have to say his standard pina colada is unriveled. He gets it smooth and perfectly mixed. He also made my husband's protein shakes without a second thought.
Daniel Geronimo (name tag reads Daniel) he is the quieter one but is clever and makes delicious drinks, he has a terrific memory for the drink of your choice. And he takes the teasing from his coworkers with a smile.
They all do and its kind of nice to see such teamwork. You will see when you go there how well they all work together in such a wild and busy environment.
I suggest upgrading to the Royal Elite or Adults Only simply because their are actual beach beds on those sections, literally 4 poster beds with oversized square pillows to match. Some have awnings to provide some shade. I also liked that security watched carefully to ensure people who didn't have the right colour bracelets weren't sitting it this area. This will become even more important at peak times. I would like to see the security enforce the no smoking but some people just won't listen. We usually sat in the first few rows so that often no smoke was in our noses, but for the very few who walk the beach smoking. NOW i realize that this is a cultural thing and living in Vancouver I find myself lucky enough to live in a city where smoking is banned in nearly all public places including bars, restaurants and beaches. Sandos ensures that there is NO smoking at all in any of the restaurants and that was awesome. Some people smoked around the pool area and a few Europeans even smoked in the pool. I would like to see that eliminated but for the most part the smoking was minimal.
THE LOBBY BAR: When you stay in the Adults only section or upgrade to Royal Elite you have access to the special lobby bar. It has 2 computers for guest use. A small library of common use books, daily international newspapers, a full bar with the higher end labels, and about 3 sitting areas with a couch and a few chairs in each sitting area. There are prepared sandwiches, snacks, fruit, cake, etc for you to grab in case your headed out on an excursion or if you just want something to snack on your way to your room/beach. I found the room to be a nice little sanctuary and enjoyed having a cold cocktail with premium spirits after late night dinner.
THE LOBBY DESK: We were exhausted when we first arrived so I had no time for the time share people, or really anyone. I have to say though that BRITO, who checked us in dealt with my crankiness very well. I knew I was tired and he sensed that so he checked us in, gave us the facts, and sent us on our way. Maybe to some it would seems rushed but it wasn't, it was exactly what I wanted. Brito is very good at reading people, and later on in our stay when I needed some assistance; he was the one I went to. He not only never let me down, he provided above and beyond the service I had expected. Brito is smart, intelligent, well spoken, and fluent in a variety of languages. He is the epitome of professional. I have seen him deal with some truly irrational guests and he doesn't lose his cool. I know in Tourism that is the standard but in many cases these front of the line staff are abused by the guests. People often forget that the workers are people too. Brito follows up on his promises and your requests equally. I liked that Brito was direct and sincere. He wasn't "cheesy" or fake. He related his own life experiences as well.
The other person I would like to mention is Miriam. She works at the original lobby which is now called "The Meeting Point" there was a misunderstanding with our reservations for the romantic dinner and as well as a miscommunication regarding a service we had per-purchased. After speaking with the Director, she was asked to join our discussion and from that she made all the adjustments and personally secured all the details and reservations we needed. The only unfortunate thing is that she was leaving on vacation the following day. She was fantastic and has a real sense of knowledge about her. She knows her industry, and she is also very sincere. She was open to sharing her personals and professional stories as well. I appreciate it when people are this real. It makes the vacation feel more like a visit, in a very good way.
Finally, I have to say that all of these things couldn't be done without having a strong and supportive leader. Sandos has that in their Playacar Director. We found him to be warm, caring, and filled with wonderful energy. I know we talk about people's energy a lot in Canada but it is important that I mention this. Their Director actually takes the time to listen to you, I don't mean "hear" you , but really listen. He is very "present" when he talks with you and that is obvious. I was happy to see that he was promoted from sub Director to Director while we were there. I can tell you that he is well liked by the staff and I have to say I got the sense that the staff is well supported by him. This resort has many staff who have been there for more than 5 years and that speaks volumes of the commitment of the staff. I mention this because this kind of mutual respect among management and staff is what makes the success of this resort. This is why I encourage you to ask for something if you need it, or clarify the details if you feel you didn't quite get what you thought you had paid for. Even though I have traveled to the riviera 14 times, and been at Sandos 4 times, I still had occasion to sort a few details out. I didn't need anything extraordinary it was just a matter of making sure the proper arrangements were made.
THE SPA: I had a pedicure scrub and wrap as well as 2 separate massages. Martha was my pedicurist and she was great. The best masseuse was Susana. She might not seem like a likely great therapist but she is strong and works well with your body's muscles. A secret gem of the place is the hydrotherapy pools in the Spa area. It is an open area of a large pool with various types of hydrotherapy. You have to see it to get it. They have lounge chairs affixed in the pools so you sit more than 1/2 submerged with a variety of jets pulsating your back, quads, calves and ankles. It also has a whirlpool and a hot tub. Don't miss out on this. (Adults Only)

I didn't write anything about the entertainment because we didn't attend every night. I can tell you that the audience was packed comfortably every night and the decor for each night's events was spectacular. I can tell you that they had various live bands on the beach, including a real reggae band from Jamaica and they were great. We also enjoyed the morning yoga and even the zumba lessons.

I will end by saying that I recommend and encourage anyone considering a trip to the Riviera to stay at Sandos Playacar. If you want entertainment and activity they have it. If you want quiet seclusion you can have that too. Kids or no kids this is the resort for everyone. I say stop looking now and go book. You will not regret it.
You can email me at 1qwerty@telus.net for any questions.
Cheers,
Candace

Room Tip: For Adults only and quiet rooms in 8000, really quiet 9000. And walk to dinner or the beach, its 8-1...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
13 Thank playacar123
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Me and my wife stay at the Sandos Playacar Resort this last October with the main goal of getting Kiteboarding certified.
This was very early in the season for the wind but we got lucky and could go thru the 3 days lesson and get our IKO Level 3 certification.
This is a great set up as the Kite school is right in front of the resort and the practice area is a big white sandy beach just next to it. Very friendly Instructors.
The resort itself was great as well, food was good, staff very friendly and only few minutes away from the Downtown.
We just wish there were not that much construction at this time, I guess they were remodeling the hotel.

Room Tip: Some of the room are a bit far away from the beach.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank David k
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Had a great time in Sandos; friendly staff and nice spacious hotel with a variety of activities and choices. Hotel has a great green garden as well with lovely trees, flowers and animals:-). There are activities for everyone, such as Aqua aerobics, zumba, kids fun, fitness, a nice Spa and very entertaining shows at night but also Yoga on the beach! The Yoga was absolutely fantastic at Sandos; great devoted and serious yoga teacher (Juan Carlos) which I never expected at a holiday resort. Would absolutely recommand taking yoga classes at Sandos and enjoy the beach at the same time :-).

• Stayed October 2012