First of all I would like to say that I have been to many all- inclusives in Mexico and Cuba and I can definetly say that this is the ONLY one that I would recommend to my friends and family. As you read other reviews you will see that the negative comments are usually about check- in which I definetly disregard as I think there are other more important things. I think your treatment by the staff could be a reflection of how you treat them. I had absolutely no problem checking- in, and sure there were some saff that were more serious than others but no rude staff at all.
Great things about Sandos:
- the DRINKS are generously fortified with booze, they do not hold back on alcohol for your drinks like other resorts do, the Mojito will make your relax wonders! Sure, probably not the best quality booze, but decent enough
-CLEANLINESS, i read in one of the reviews before I went that wherever you look there is someone cleaning. Very true, this resort is very clean, well maintained and wherever you look there are people sweaping, picking up garbage, wiping, you name it!
-FOOD: great quality for an all-inclusive. There is good variety and mostly everything is good. If you want gourmet or Michelin star restaurants you should not be going to an all-inclusive. There is constant food turnover, there is always staff cleaning the buffet and cleaning up spilled stuff and changing serving spoons. I stayed fo 14 days with my mom and sister and we did not get sick (very important!)
- SERVICE: sure some staff were friendlier than others, but absolutely nobody was rude. There is always a manager overseeing their service. One thing that I find nice is that there are hostess to seat you down at the buffet, I think is nice to have someone to direct you to a clean table instead of you having to go walking around. Everyone greets you when they walk by you and most of all (this is for the ladies) the male workers were respectful towards women (I have stayed at places in Mexico where male staff were flirty beyond boundaries, not pleasant).
- ANIMALS!!!! the best part! The resort is so nicely landscaped and so green that you will see a variety of animals. There are small capybaras, Coatis (from raccoon family),and even Monkeys!
-GYM- beautiful, large, equipped with new machines, if you like to workout, it is worth bringing you gear.
-SPA- here is where the jacuzzis are. On contrary to other hotels, there are no jacuzzis by the pools, so you have to come here. It is a relaxation area, so you can truly enjoy a whirlpool massage without screaming children and drunk people around. There is also a steam room. I think not many people know about the SPA because is not very busy. You can go for free to enjoy the jacuzzi, no minors allowed.
- ROOMS; the room I stayed was in one of the buildings by the beach, would definetly choose those ones again. The room was great, ok decor, the bathrooms were very modern. Everything worked fine, but this was not the focus of my vacation so for me was good enough, clean, with a good bed.
- The bathrooms throughout the resort are clean and very modern! there are staff checking it every 30 min.
- ECO friendly. The resort is commited to being an eco resort. The plastic cups are reusable, they avoid giving out straws to reduce waste. And there are recycling bins all over the resort (paper, plastic, aluminum)
-Live shows and animation; There are bands playing at the plaza almost every night very nice! I liked that the animation staff are not pushy they invite you to play stuff and when you say no they leave you alone.Frenquetly there are mariachis singing around the hotel and they don't pressure you for tips or to buy CDs.
This is a pretty organized resort.It seems like they actually care about the well being of the guests. There are paper plates and all the things you need to cary food out of the restaurant. Everything works. Sure maybe the stores open a bit later than they say, but you need to remember that this is Mexico and it is part of the culture to be late and a bit disorganized. If you want to be treated exactly like you are at home (wherever there is), then stay home.
Some things that I didn't like so much (nothing major):
- the reservation restaurants. The Brazilian BBQ (fogo de Janeiro): I am from Brazil and what they serve there doesn't resemble brazilian bbq by anything except for the presentation, the meat was really bad. Asiana: good for someone that is not familiar at all with this type of food. I actually thought the sushi was the only thing that was good. I know that this is a very personal choice so it is good to go for a change. El Gaucho (steak house) was good, but order your steak one level less than you would like (i.e: you like medium order rare), mine was so done that I had a hard time swallowing. In summary: the service is very slow, and the food not worth the wait. It amazed me the amount of plates going back untouched to the kitchen at Asiana, wouldn't the chef suspect that something needs to be changed? Gourmet food definetly not their forte. Nice for a change of scene but keep your expectations low.
- BIRDS at the beach- this is something that bothered me, people feed the seagulls french fries all the time. I think as an eco hotel ther should be a huge sign at the beach for people to not feed that crap to the birds, it is not bird food ! they gather above others and poop all over the place (this happens all the time). There should be a bit more focus on how guests treat animals. I saw a man chasing an iguana and a child trowing rocks at a coati, maybe a bit more investment in educating ignorant guests. There are some signs but maybe not enough.
-Smokers; Oh boy! There are a looooot of smokers at this hotel. I think there could be sections outside as well for smokers and non smokers as a non smoker trying to relax at the beach surrounded by people blowing smoke on my face is not pleasant. It could be half for smokers and half for non smokers. Same for the plaza.
- HAVING to save a chair; i actually didn't mind having to be up at 7 to put my stuff at the beach because that actually pushed me to go enjoy the beach earlier, but if you don't get a spot early, you are left without shade, there are still plenty of chairs but no shade left. So if you like shade, no sleeping in for you.
Hopefuly this review will help you decide, but I think Sandos is a great quality hotel for your buck. You need to remember that you get what you pay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa is an all-Inclusive hotel in Playa del Carmen with both family and adult sections. We are ideally located on a magnificent white sandy beach in the gated community of Playacar, within walking distance to downtown Playa and Fifth Avenue. Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa is located only forty-five minutes from the Cancun International Airport, and the pier serving ferries to Cozumel is a short distance from our property.Playacar is a private, master-planned community situated on the southern edge of downtown Playa del Carmen. Guests at Sandos Playacar Beach Resort & Spa enjoy this exclusive community’s impressive infrastructure, including an 18-hole golf course designed by Robert Von Hagge, the Xaman-Ha Aviary, pristine biking paths, and Mayan ruins, accessible to the public for hiking.Riviera Maya is a protected region where many remaining artifacts from the fascinating Mayan civilization can be found. Surrounded by Mayan archeological zones, such as those at Tulum, Coba, and Chicen-Itza, this Playa del Carmen hotel successfully preserves a strong sense of Mayan culture onsite, adding an authentic feel and flavor to the vacation experience in Playacar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia and Despegar.com so you can book your Sandos Playacar Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandos Playacar Beach Hotel
- Hotel Sandos Playacar Beach
- Beach Playacar Resort Sandos
- Sandos Playacar Resort
- Sandos Playa Del Carmen
- Gala Resort Playacar
- Sandos Gala Playacar
- Sandos Playacar Mexico
- Sandos Resort
- Playacar Sandos