This was our third trip to the Royal Hideaway, and we were really disappointed with quite a few things. We go to the Playa/Cancun area at least once a year (for the past 10 years or so), and have stayed at quite a few places. Our favorite had been the Royal Hideaway. Lately we have also been to Excellence, LaBlanc, Azul Blue and Aventura Palace. While we pay more to stay at RH we have never minded, as the service, food and drinks all make it worth the extra money. This was not the case on this visit, and I wish we would have saved the money and went elsewhere, as the extras that made RH worth it, are no longer there.
The service has gone down drastically. While the people on staff at RH are still wonderful, there are not enough of them to give the type of service the hotel has been praised for in the past, and that repeat guests appreciate. (and is one of the reasons we have returned to resort in the past). Had I not been there before, and had we not paid more to return than we would have at most other places in the area, I might not think the service 'bad'- merely spotty, or not as good as I might like, but I probably wouldn't have written a review calling it out. As we had our expectations from previous visits, we were very disappointed. The hotel used to advertise they had 2 staff for every guest- the same cannot be the case now. One day at the pool we didn't have anyone take our drink order, or come by and ask us if we needed anything. The other days there were only 2 guys out there for both the pool and the beach, and orders (as expected) took a very long time. (the hotel seemed to be crowded during our visit, and the 2 servers were running their butts off). This was not the fault of the servers, it is the fault of the hotel for not having more of them. Yes, we did go up to the bar, but it was still a lengthy wait doing that ourselves. If we had gone to another hotel this would have been less of an issue for us, but again, we paid more to come to RH for the wonderful service we had on our prior trips, it was dissapointing to find it no longer there.
Our room- we got a room on the edge of the property, near the pool area. The view for our patio was the fence the back of the RIU property next door. On our other visits we had rooms in the middle of the property. Every night there was loud noise from the other resorts shows or nightclub or whatever thing was located over that fence. As other reviews point out, this is a very quiet resort. We went there for that reason. On many of our trips we go with groups of couples, and pick more 'lively' resorts. This trip was just my husband and I, and we were looking forward to the tranquility. If we were staying out boozing and partying until after midnight, the noise might not have been as noticable, but since we were doing the dinner, a few drinks, and back to the room thing, the noise from the resort next door was extremely annoying. Had we been there for any longer, we would have insisted on a room change, or left the resort to stay elsewhere. (we stayed 3 nites).
The food was another disappointment. It just wasn't as good as it had been in the past. However, it was still on par with many other all inclusives we have been to, it just wasn't as above the rest as it had been in the past.
In summary, I would not go back to RH unless I found a really good price on it. Secrets and Excellence hotels were both much less, and I would go to these hotels before spending the money on RH. Also, while it is not RH's fault that a neighboring hotel has loud entertainment, other hotels are more secluded- like around Maroma- and would ensure quiet once in your room.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Award winning luxury all inclusive resort set along the beautiful beaches of Playa del Carmen, Mexico. Ideal setting in a serene environment for complete rest and relaxation. Adults only. Member of The Leading Hotels of the World. 2008 winner of the coveted AAA 5 Diamond Award. 11 villas with private concierge are spread throughout the property's immaculate grounds. Six gourmet restaurants serve delicasies in menu-style dining. A full service spa offers the ultimate in papmering and body treatments. Personalzied service and attention to detail set this resort a world apart. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Barcelo, Travelocity, Despegar.com, TravelUp, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Jetsetter, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Royal Hideaway Playacar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Hideaway Playacar & Occidental Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Hideaway Playacar And Occidental Resorts
- Royal Hideaway Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Hideaway Mexico
- Occidental Royal Hideaway
- Royal Hideaway Playacar Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico