“Fantastic Vacation. Can't wait to go back.”

Royal Hideaway Playacar
Ranked #36 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 29, 2005

My husband and I stayed at RH the week of Sep. 10th. We normally go to the Occidental Aruba, but since it's closed for renovations we decided to try Mexico for our first time. Am I glad we did!! We had an absolutely wonderful vacation. The resort was beautiful, ocean was breath taking, weather was terrific, service was exemplary, food was fantastic, service was exemplary – oh yea, I said that.

The lobby and grounds are beautiful. We were in Villa 27, very close to the pool and beach. I would recommend the 2nd level to have the high ceilings. House keeping comes twice a day. Once for cleaning and once to turn down your bed – very nice. Big fluffy robes, big roomy bathroom with marble shower stalls and Jacuzzi tubs. Walk in closet with lots of space and shelves.

I really can't say enough about the service, it made the whole stay.
From check in to check out it was excellent. The pool servers are on the ball and aim to please. The several waiters assigned to your table are all over you to ensure a perfect dining experience. They all greet you by name, bring house appetizers to sample and suggest great after dinner cordials. The food is very very good. We ate dinner at all the restaurants except Spices and had not one complaint. They want you to make reservations to give the waiters enough time to pamper you and attend to your every need. It's not because they expect a big crowd. If you get hungry, just order room service – it’s a phone call away. Breakfast buffet at Spices was very good but definitely do a la carte at Ventanas – very nice. Lunch was always quick, good, and easy at the pool café. Order lunch from your pool chair if you want!
The beach is beautiful with no erosion problems and plenty of chairs. They don’t allow you to bring the rafts into the water though. If that’s what you like, bring them from home.

There are two pools. We hung out at the smaller one most days. Both are crystal clear and like bath water. We stayed in all afternoon just floating around and talking and drinking with folks from all over. On your way to breakfast, throw a magazine or flip flops down to reserve the chairs you want. Everyone does it. In the afternoon, ladies come around with hot towels or misting spray and fresh fruit. There are two relaxation pools with hot tubs for extra privacy if you want.

It is for the most part a quite hotel with not much to do at night but if you’re looking for relaxation, this is the place. The Allegro next door was closed for hurricane repairs but if it was open, we could have gone there for a little action if we wanted. Guests at RH can go there but not the other way around. Cigars – don’t buy from the store as they are way over priced. Each night a lady sits outside Ventanas selling them for much less.

Of the seven days we were there, we did loose A/C for a couple hours, we lost cable for a couple hours, and the resort (town) lost power for five hours one afternoon. Had to get ready for dinner by candlelight (bring candles!!). Overall, this did not bother us much – I would rather have that than bad weather. No vacation is 100% perfect. Let it bother you or not – it’s your choice.

Definitely go into town a couple times, lots of unique shops. There’s also a market place across the street for all your needs. Ten of us went to Xcaret - it was OK, I wouldn't go back.

We’ve been to many islands, and this was by far the prettiest Carribean water. We will definitely put Aruba on hold again and go back to the Royal Hideaway.

Hey New Jersey!! What about Bob!!

29  Thank kbuzz65
Guest_Experience_RH, Gerente at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2017

You will always be welcome here, as your home from home.

I will be sure to show my team your kind words, which I am sure they will be encouraged by.

There are newer reviews for Royal Hideaway Playacar

Reviewed September 28, 2005

I wrote a review and it seems to be gone so here is another. We stayed at RH for our Honeymoon from 9/12-9/18 and it was absolutely amazing. I will be returning every anniversary if possible. I have checked this site so often to read reviews and most are accurate, anyone who complains needs to relax!! The review from St. Louis says everything I would say so I won't repeat it all. We met that couple and they were great, overall everyone was so nice, guests and staff. We even lost power while we were there for a few hours in the late afternoon/early evening and although I was quite unhappy because of how hot it was without a/c, the resort was so accomodating, it seemed like nothing. Everything single thing about this place is top notch. I would reccommend it over and over again, and take us with you!!! Here is a break down:
Food-
All the restaurants are great except we did not try The Grill. Ventanas and Azia were my favorite.

Service-
UNBELIEVABLE-maybe once or twice we had to wait an extra minute for a drink, or our salad at dinner but the service is over the top fanatastic. It is so good, u don't have time to want anything. Ana at Allegria Bar is great, and Eddie at the pool was so on top of us. Even when he brought the Bud can we were amazed!

Atmosphere-
The most romantic, relaxing, upscale (but not snotty) place I have ever enjoyed in my life.

Rooms-
Very nice and comfortable. Not extravegant but elegant and adequate. Huge bathroom with a very nice jacuzzi tub-not suitable for 2 people though!

Pools-
I could go on and on about the pools. The pool over the beach was fabulous. We were there every day. They were being cleaned every morning and there were always comfortable chairs available.

Can't think of anything else just that if you pass this place up you are missing out-I have been home two weeks and I just started to get out of depression from leaving there!! Happy travels!

12  Thank christine c

Reviewed September 25, 2005

We constantly review this site to compare our experiences with others. We are well traveled around the world and until we visited Royal Hideaway, we never went to the same place twice. Not that we did not like the places we have been, but as we are all aware, there are so many places to visit, and so little time. My last visit to RH was April, 2005. We are going back in Late Oct to mid Nov. 2005 for our "12th visit". That should say it all!!!! The staff and management is probably the biggest reason. Many resorts can provide a beach, sun, and the water. Management and staff create the experience.As odd as it may sound, each return visit was better than the previous visit. When we think that they have done all that is possible, they come up with a new experience. We have traveled there as a couple most times, but on a few special occaisons, we brought family and friends that are still talking about it. We will continue to return to RH as long as health and good fourtune prevail, as we have made many good friends there and feel very much at home at RH. Many times we have rented a jeep or boat to head out to explore the area and islands, and could not wait to get back to the RH to hit the Spa, enjoy a fine dinner and bottle{s} of wine, and end the day with a large brandy and cigar on the beach and the stars. It is the management and staff that make this resort a truly special place for us and many new friends that we have meet there over the years. To all that decide to go, Live Long, Eat well, and Drink happy!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2005
7  Thank Garydkrg

Reviewed September 25, 2005

We visited the Royal Hideaway on our Honeymoon from September 12 thru September 21, 2005 and we could not have asked for a better place for a honeymoon. Just about everything at the resort was perfect – the room, the pools, the grounds, the restaurants and the beach. If we didn’t know Hurricane Emily passed through in July, we would never have been able to tell because the resort was in pristine condition. Also, the beach was fantastic – no sandbags or drop-offs as previously reported and plenty of beach and chairs for everyone.

We hung around the main pool most of the time and had no problem getting chairs near the pool. These were the most comfortable pool chairs we’ve ever been in. The pool itself was crystal clear and fresh water was added every few days to keep the temperature down. In addition, the service at the pool was excellent. Eddie would bring us another drink even before we finished the previous drink to make sure that we always had a cold, fresh beverage.

The service all over the resort was fantastic and everyone went out of the way making us feel like we were the only ones there. They always called us by our names, which was a nice touch. The only negative experience was the service at Azia. We ate there twice and both times the service was not up RH standards. The first time, the service was a bit slow and the waiter was not very attentive and the second time was a horrible experience. We first sat for 10 minutes waiting for drinks and a menu, which we only received 1 of since they were running short of menus. The waiter then insisted we ordered right away so they could make our hibachi order together with another order so they didn’t have to do it twice. In addition, they never refilled our drinks and our appetizers came out about the same time the food on the hibachi grill was ready.

Despite the unpleasant service at Azia, the food and sushi there was fantastic. The other restaurants had fantastic service and pretty good food. The Grill was by far our favorite – the ocean view was amazing, our server, Pedro, was the best waiter there and the food was terrific. In addition, we really enjoyed the breakfast buffet at Spices and the A La Carte menu at Ventanas – the Divorced Eggs were my favorite. Being able to order snacks, desserts and whole meals from the included 24-hour room service menu was also very nice. Palazzo, the Italian restaurant, was just okay, but we are from St. Louis, which has fantastic Italian food, so we are a bit biased. Ventanas and Spices were both delicious.

Finally, we walked the beach to take a look at the other resorts and it made us so happy we were at the Royal Hideaway. Not having to wear wristbands and not having screaming kids all over the place (like some other resorts), made things that much more relaxing and romantic.

Pro’s
·The Beach and Pool was well kept, spacious and very relaxing
·Drinks and Liquor – They had everything, including top shelf liquor available at all the restaurants. Gold Margaritas were made with 1800 Repasado Tequila, Grand Marnier and Cointreau. The after dinner cordial selection rivaled any fine restaurant in the states. In addition, Champagne was available at every bar and restaurant and was included and was actually pretty good. They also had around 10 house wines, which were included and were pretty good for house wines.
·Service – Eddie was fantastic at the pool and Pedro at the Grill and Spices was an excellent server. One couple we met down there asked for a can of Budweiser at the Allegra Bar – a drink not normally available at the bar. Instead of a sorry too bad response, the waiter went to another area of the resort and managed to come up with a Budweiser can – AMAZING SERVICE!!!
·Other guests – Everyone was so nice and plesent to be around. Chip and Dale was entertaining (long story). We had a good time with people from Boston, Pennsylvania, Texas, New York and a number of other places. In case you see it, this is the St. Louis, Mo people writing this review.
Cons
·Azia – the food was fantastic, but the service was lacking both nights. Other guests also commented to us that it seemed the stuck all the newbie’s at Azia.
·We had to leave. The Royal Hideaway was amazing.
·No casual Mexican food.
·Evening Entertainment – They Allegra Bar got a little repetitive after a few nights.

Overall, the Royal Hideaway was fantastic. The staff went out of their way to make us feel like we were the only people at the resort. We will definitely return for another trip in hopefully the near future.

12  Thank wubears71

Reviewed September 19, 2005

This was our first vacation at a 'ALL INCLUSIVE' resort and from our point of view, it is the ONLY way to go. From the moment we arrived to the time we left, we were treated in a 5-star fashion. All the facilites at the resort were in perfect condition (pools, the spa, gym and the restaurants).

Let me mention something about the servers at the pools...Terrific! Some were better than others (Eddie, Fernando and Tono) but all were very accomodating with or without tipping. Tipping is not required or needed but as hard as they work, I am sure it is appreciated and we wanted to give a tip to those that consistenly went out of their way to make our stay special.

The restaurants were all different and wonderful to dine at. Palazzo and Ventanas were our favorites. Pedro was our waiter at Palazzo and was always there when you needed him to be. Each had live music of either a guitar player or a pianist. Both were gifted muscians that took requests and played them perfectly.

Our consierge was Rosalia in Villa 23 who assisted us during our stay. She was very nice to work with in choosing and making dinner and spa appointments. We also had a maid named 'Gilberto' who always kept our room clean and left us with a different towel animal each evening (very nice touch) and soft music playing when we returned for the evening.

We went on an excursion called 'The Tulum Xtreme Mayan Adventure'. It was a two part trip leaving the hotel at 8:00am. We first went to a cave about 45 minutes out side of Playacar where we rapelled down through a hole in the ground about 30 feet and then we took a zip line going pretty fast down into the refreshingly cool water where we snorkled through the rooms with our guide 'Dulce' and her counterpart 'David (Rambo). I would reccommend doing this. The second part of the tour took us to Tulum where we saw the remains of a Mayan culture going back 1000 years. We were back at the hotel by3:30pm in time to soak up a few rays at the pool and catch up with our friend 'Mojito'.

I could go on and on about each person and each part of the resort and our trip but by now you probably have caught the gist of this review. We had a great time and will return.

13  Thank Chilebob3648

A TripAdvisor Member
dallas texas
Reviewed September 7, 2005

For the seventh year in a row, RH has never been better. Received a "Welcome Back" package. The beach is back from hurricane damage. Restaurant upgrades, particularly at Azia, are awesome. Great sushy selection. Staff training has even improved. You hear your name a lot more than before. A band has been added most nights at the bar. You really noticed intangible service improvements this time. See you next year.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed September 7, 2005

We just returned from six nights at the Royal Hideaway and can't wait to go back. On our first trip in April 2004 the resort was filled to capacity,(in fact, it was overbooked) which made finding space at the pools and dinner reservations at a desireable time a challenge. If you can tolerate a bit of warm weather, humidity and an occassional shower then we would recommend the month of September. The airport was less congested, the hotel was at less than 50% capacity and it made the vacation much more enjoyable. We never had a problem finding chairs or an umbrella at one of the pools. There were always floaties available if you wanted them. The beach, while a bit smaller than on our previous visit was certainly more than adequate.
THE POSITIVES: The service and grounds are unbelievable. While two hotels next to the RH are still closed and undergoing massive repairs from the last hurricane, it is almost impossible to see any damage to the RH property. Some rooms were being worked on, but it was not overly apparent. The service and food presentation is excellent in all five restaurants. Which one you like best is a matter of personal taste. Ours was Palazzo, which serves Italian food. Our least favorite was Azia. We were a bit disappointed in Azia after reading all the great reviews after its renovation. Again, it's personal taste.
THE NEGATIVES: We are hard pressed to find any but... we would recommend one casual dining restaurant for dinner. Somewhere that you don't need a reservation and can wear shorts. Also, at the prices the RH charges they should have better quality linens and towels. The bedspreads are starting to look a bit worn. Their hair and soap products are great, but were not replenished after they were used. One thing that bothered us, but not enough to say anything was that we had left some loose change in an ashtray in our room. Someone had helped themselves to the pesos and left the American money. Not a big deal since we would have left it anyway, but lock up your valuables in the safe.
If you are looking for a quiet, relaxing vacation this is the place to find it. If you like a lot of activity and partying you'll be disappointed. We sadly returned home feeling much more relaxed than when we arrived. Have no hesitations recommending this property.

9  Thank childrens1

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#52 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#60 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#41 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#21 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Oasis Tulum
Grand Oasis Tulum
#16 of 21 in Akumal
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
#39 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Royal Hideaway Playacar? Share your experiences!