My husband and I stayed at RH the week of Sep. 10th. We normally go to the Occidental Aruba, but since it's closed for renovations we decided to try Mexico for our first time. Am I glad we did!! We had an absolutely wonderful vacation. The resort was beautiful, ocean was breath taking, weather was terrific, service was exemplary, food was fantastic, service was exemplary – oh yea, I said that.
The lobby and grounds are beautiful. We were in Villa 27, very close to the pool and beach. I would recommend the 2nd level to have the high ceilings. House keeping comes twice a day. Once for cleaning and once to turn down your bed – very nice. Big fluffy robes, big roomy bathroom with marble shower stalls and Jacuzzi tubs. Walk in closet with lots of space and shelves.
I really can't say enough about the service, it made the whole stay.
From check in to check out it was excellent. The pool servers are on the ball and aim to please. The several waiters assigned to your table are all over you to ensure a perfect dining experience. They all greet you by name, bring house appetizers to sample and suggest great after dinner cordials. The food is very very good. We ate dinner at all the restaurants except Spices and had not one complaint. They want you to make reservations to give the waiters enough time to pamper you and attend to your every need. It's not because they expect a big crowd. If you get hungry, just order room service – it’s a phone call away. Breakfast buffet at Spices was very good but definitely do a la carte at Ventanas – very nice. Lunch was always quick, good, and easy at the pool café. Order lunch from your pool chair if you want!
The beach is beautiful with no erosion problems and plenty of chairs. They don’t allow you to bring the rafts into the water though. If that’s what you like, bring them from home.
There are two pools. We hung out at the smaller one most days. Both are crystal clear and like bath water. We stayed in all afternoon just floating around and talking and drinking with folks from all over. On your way to breakfast, throw a magazine or flip flops down to reserve the chairs you want. Everyone does it. In the afternoon, ladies come around with hot towels or misting spray and fresh fruit. There are two relaxation pools with hot tubs for extra privacy if you want.
It is for the most part a quite hotel with not much to do at night but if you’re looking for relaxation, this is the place. The Allegro next door was closed for hurricane repairs but if it was open, we could have gone there for a little action if we wanted. Guests at RH can go there but not the other way around. Cigars – don’t buy from the store as they are way over priced. Each night a lady sits outside Ventanas selling them for much less.
Of the seven days we were there, we did loose A/C for a couple hours, we lost cable for a couple hours, and the resort (town) lost power for five hours one afternoon. Had to get ready for dinner by candlelight (bring candles!!). Overall, this did not bother us much – I would rather have that than bad weather. No vacation is 100% perfect. Let it bother you or not – it’s your choice.
Definitely go into town a couple times, lots of unique shops. There’s also a market place across the street for all your needs. Ten of us went to Xcaret - it was OK, I wouldn't go back.
We’ve been to many islands, and this was by far the prettiest Carribean water. We will definitely put Aruba on hold again and go back to the Royal Hideaway.
Hey New Jersey!! What about Bob!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Award winning luxury all inclusive resort set along the beautiful beaches of Playa del Carmen, Mexico. Ideal setting in a serene environment for complete rest and relaxation. Adults only. Member of The Leading Hotels of the World. 2008 winner of the coveted AAA 5 Diamond Award. 11 villas with private concierge are spread throughout the property's immaculate grounds. Six gourmet restaurants serve delicasies in menu-style dining. A full service spa offers the ultimate in papmering and body treatments. Personalzied service and attention to detail set this resort a world apart. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Orbitz, Barcelo, Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, HotelsforEveryone, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Royal Hideaway Playacar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Hideaway Playacar & Occidental Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Hideaway Playacar And Occidental Resorts
- Royal Hideaway Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Hideaway Mexico
- Occidental Royal Hideaway
- Royal Hideaway Playacar Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico