“Fabulous Honeymoon, June 21-June 30”

Royal Hideaway Playacar
Ranked #33 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed July 6, 2004

My husband and I just returned from our honeymoon at Royal Hideaway. The entire trip exceeded our expectations! The service at the Hideaway exceeds anything we have ever experienced. We stayed in Villa 26 and Luz was our concierge. She was willing to help us in any way possible and was usually around to just visit with at the end of the day. When we arrived, I requested extra bottled water and after that, Luz made sure that we were fully stocked for the rest of the trip. She is as wonderful as everyone says!We spent several days just lounging on the beach and by the pool--the umbrellas provide a great break from the sun. And the pool activities in the afternoon are fun to watch even if you don't participate. We did spend two days on tours--1. Tulum and Xel-ha which was okay (I thought Xel-ha provided great swimming but was way too crowded for my taste) and 2. Alltournative trip to Coba/ChiMuch. I highly recommend Alltournative for the adventurous spirit and those who want to see a little-known bit of Mexico.
I was skeptical of the "all inclusive" hotel in general prior to our trip. But Royal Hideaway is not your typical all inclusive. The food and drinks are very high quality. We especially liked Ventanas and Azia. We also enjoyed before-dinner drinks each night at Bar Allegria and found that to be very relaxing. At Spices, we had great food and service provided by Jose. We even spent some time in the cigar bar at Ventanas (we brought our own--they are kind of expensive on-site).
Each morning we ate at Spices for the buffet and loved the variety. Jose Ole works mornings there and days at the pool and he is very funny and sweet!
Our room was always cool and clean and I am a sucker for turn-down service and loads of towels.
The one thing the hotel can improve upon is the quality of the bikes--we biked into Playa del Carmen one day and the bikes were a bit shabby. We ate at a great local place on 5th Avenue. Neither my husband nor I can imagine a better honeymoon and we truly believe that our 10 days at Royal Hideaway were indeed like paradise! We are hoping to return in five or ten years to celebrate our anniversary!

• Stayed: June 2004
Guest_Experience_RH, Gerente at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2017

Dear Valued Guest,

We really appreciate your valuable feedback; it is a motivation to us and also a helpful reference for our readers and future guests.

I will be sure to show my employees your kind words, and we hope to see you return in the near future,

Boynton Beach, Florida USA
Reviewed July 6, 2004

Our Honeymoon was somehting that we will not forget and the Royal Hideaway made it very special. The service was "outstanding"from the time you enter. The people are friendly and charming. I would recommend any couple to go for there Honeymoon, Anniversary or if they just want to be alone. The beach is so relaxing and the pools, there are many to relax in. We saw the international show with dinner the show was very enjoyable.
We met alot of nice people also.
We would go back, we are talking about making a trip again next year.
We had a waiter at the Palzzo italian Pableo he is a great waiter. If you go tell hello from Flroida.

Raleigh, NC
Reviewed July 5, 2004

I am happy to report RH meant all my expectations and provided a relaxing, pampered, and enjoyable honeymoon for my wife and I (ages 24 and 31 respectively) from June 21-28, 2004. Before I went to RH, I read over 2 years of reviews from this website - so thanks to everyone for their feedback. I promised myself I would write an extensive review, so here it is...

For those of us who are unable to stay at a Four Seasons or Ritz-Carlton every time we travel, this resort will make you feel a little like royalty for a week. Every single guest at Royal Hideaway is provided a villa concierge who helps you with everything you need (stock the fridge with bottled water daily, arrange trips, laundry needs, extra towels, dinner reservations, etc.). At many other well-known all-inclusive's (Sandals, Superclubs, etc.), you often only get a concierge with the higher level priced rooms.

After a rather quick 45 minute ride down the coast, we arrived at RH. From the grand entrance to the immaculate furnishings inside and outside of the main building, you immediately feel a sense that you have come to a special place. We were greeted with the customary champagne and towels and escorted to our room located in Villa 29.

We stayed in a junior hideaway duplex suite, which gives you two floors (on the second and third [top] floor of the villa). The downstairs has a sitting area with table, TV, closet, counter/sink/mini fridge, couch and bathroom with shower on the inside. Outside is a porch with a hammock and ocean views. You take the stairs from the 1st to 2nd floor where you have an open area with a dresser and then door out to a huge deck with a sitting area with table, and two lounge chairs, again, with ocean views. After the open area I just described comes your bedroom area with another sitting area with table, closet, TV, CD player, huge bathroom with dual sinks, Jacuzzi tub, and shower. Outside on the second floor adjacent to the bedroom is a sitting area with ocean views.

There are only six of these suites on the entire property and worth the splurge for your honeymoon, but not necessary as we found it difficult to utilize all the space. If we return, we will be happy with a standard room or royal view room.

The spa was good. The facilities were extensive and the Swedish massage I had was excellent. My wife had a spa pedicure and was very pleased with the results. We only left the resort once to swim with the dolphins at dolphin discovery. We actually did the sea life discovery plus program, which put us in the pool with stingrays, manatees, and then dolphins. This was a unique and fun experience, which was well worth the money in my opinion.

As for the food, there will always be things you do not like, let's face it. The great thing about Royal Hideaway is that if you ordered something you didn't like (for whatever reason), you could just order something else. For example, if you want two desserts, just ask. One night, I ordered a pork tenderloin that was not to my liking, so I ordered another entree (lamb) and it was excellent. I think it would be impossible to like everything no matter where you go, but the beauty of RH is that you can order anything you want, you just have to ask. My wife and I consumed the guacamole and chips daily and especially liked the club sandwich for a mid-day snack. We ate outside a few times at night at Palazzo and Ventanas, and it was very romantic and enjoyable both times. Don't miss The Grill for dinner, closest to the beach and very romantic. Here is the run down on each restaurant:

Palazzo: Italian, great desserts, great view, eat outside if you can, loved the comfortable high back chairs.
Ventanas: International cuisine, great for breakfast and dinner, best food overall (most guests agree)
Azia: fun drinks, good tempura, great ambience, loved the fried ice-cream and duck.
Spices: Great for an indoor air-conditioned lunch (tacos, quesadillas), never ate dinner there. Breakfast is offered here, but it's a buffet style and they are unable to provide egg-white eggs or egg-white omelets, so we chose to go to Ventanas. However, many of the guests loved the informal setting for breakfast, so this is strictly personl preference.
Beach Grill: Great for snacks during the day, tacos, chips with guacamole, pizza, sandwiches, calamari, etc.
Dinner Theatre (Weds - Mexican) (Sun - International): Never went, heard mixed reviews, but Sunday night show was most preferred by other guests.

We got room service often and the staff was more than willing to provide items not listed on the room service menu, which meant ice cream and cappuccino at 2 a.m. was no problem. I always tipped for room service ($2 or $3 dollars) and at dinner ($3 or $4 dollars). However, I chose not to tip very often at breakfast, lunch, or for drinks at the pool.

The only thing that might turn off the younger crowd is the lack of activities at the Resort. However, with the Blue Parrot's Fire Show a $4 cab ride a way, I don't think this should be your deciding factor. Overall, RH was incredibly clean, well taken care of, and inviting with all the relaxation pools, streams, and vegetation located throughout the resort. Having walked the beach and seeing the other hotels available you will know you are staying at a top resort, which is easily the best resort in Playa del Carmen.

If you are looking for an all-inclusive experience free of kids (RH is 16 years and up, but most of the guests were in there 30s), full of some of the finer things in life, and with great all around service, RH is not to be missed. I almost chose to go back to Sandals for our honeymoon. However, I am so glad I didn't as the food at RH is much better, the rooms are better, and the Service is better.

Please feel free to email me with any questions you may have and I'll be more than happy to provide you with answers

Reviewed July 4, 2004

My husband and I just returned from 8 days at the RH. We went from June 27-July 4th for our honeymoon. This was a dream vacation. It was very hot, but laying in the pool all day helped keep us refreshed. The resort is absolutely wonderful. The food is excellent with a wide variety of restaurants to choose from. You do need to make reservations for dinner. We loved all of the restauraunts and it was hard to choose a favorite. The grounds were beautiful and clean. The pool area was great and the service by the pool was outstanding. The staff cannot do enough for you. They have activities daily, but they do not hound you to take part in them. It was very relaxing, but there were also things to do if you wanted to. There were nightly activities that take place in the Allegria Bar which are run by the activitiy staff. Overall it was worth every penny. We want to go back for our anniversary. If you have any questions, feel free to write.
barbara 082275@aol.com Enjoy if you decide to go to the RH!

Reviewed July 3, 2004

Dates: 6/22/04 - 7/2/04

Property: Very Nice

Rooms: OK, but a little small, bathrooms were nice, bed comfortable, sheets too small for the beds, and short sheeted. Headboard not attached to the bed or wall. Safe didn’t lock well.

Service: Varied from person to person, from venue to venue, mostly very professional, albeit a bit inflexible.

Beach: Small, crowded, was the weakest part of the property, disappointing.

Main pools: crowded, big pools but small area. The relaxation pools (4) were just beautiful, never busy, and one was hot, which was nice towards days end.

Food: Breakfast, and dinner..... EXCELLENT
Lunch, drinks, adequate

Spa: Varied from fluff and buff to a good massage, manicure was poor.

Weather: Hot with high humidly, no rain.

Tennis: We hit with the pro one morning around 9 am, he was very nice, but it was just too hot to play.

Best Part: The romantic dinner on the beach, 4 tables spaced apart, dark, lighting supplied by torches and low candles. One waiter (Genero) for two tables, champagne, walks on the beach between courses.............

Least Favorite: I think the inflexibility and forced formalness regarding the restaurants. Closed toe shoes for men??? (It was 90+ degrees). Also the whole reservation requirements were too rigid. And as said before the beach and pool areas were just too small.

Overall: Beautiful hotel, nice service, the only reasons we would not return are the smallness of the pool and beach area and nice but not warm feeling we had at the hotel.

Feel free to email us with any questions. We are both well traveled.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Galesburg, IL
Reviewed July 2, 2004

When my wife and I planned our vacation to the Mayan Riviera, we were not aware of this web sight. After we had booked at another resort our investigation led us to tripadvisor.com and our eyes were opened.
The reviews of the Royal Hideaway were all excellent except for a few petty problems. We decided to switch resorts and were not disappointed at all.
There isn't anything that I can add to what other reviewers have said but can only concur with them 100%. The Royal Hideaway is made great by their employees. These people are always ready to help and if none is needed there is always a smile. With every smile comes a twinkle in the eye. These people are genuine.
Tips are not required at the all-inclusive but how anyone can take this kind of service without tipping is beyond me. These people are lucky to make 50 pesos per day which is about $5 for you and me.
The grounds are wonderful, the food is superb and the peace and quite is beyond belief.
We stayed in Villa 27 which was an excellent location. Close to the pools and the sea. They will do everything that they can at the Royal Hideaway to make your vacation the best ever.
Finally, this is a 6 Star resort with 6 Star employees. We will be back.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed July 2, 2004

My husband and I spent a week at the Royal Hideaway in early May, and we loved every second of it! It was the type of honeymoon that you see in the movies.... The entire resort was so beautiful, and the staff was so attentive, that we felt like we were famous! The ground are laid out beautifully, and we never felt crowded- sometimes were were the only couple in the pool in the middle of the day! The relaxation pools were scattered throughout, and there was rarely anyone else there. The staff makes extra efforts to make your stay enjoyable. A few examples: halfway through our stay, our concierge (Rosalia) had a HUGE arrangement of tropical flowers sent to our room. Also, after noticing that my husband liked to read the paper in the morning, she began picking up a copy on her way to her desk so that he would have a paper before breakfast. During dinner every night (enough has been said about the food on this site- it was amazing) someone turns down the bed, puts chocolate on your pillow, dims the lights, and leaves classical music playing... no detail is ignored.

A few quick additonal comments: 1) this has been said before, and we thought we were being slick, but were caught, none-the-less. On the way out of the Cancun airport, do not stop for ANYONE, even the official looking people behind desks on the right side of the hallway. The seem like tourism officials, are wearing uniform shirts, and even give you a map... but their whole purpose is to get you to deposit $40 for a "free" trip for two later in the week... just keep walking outside and through the crowd. 2) Gratuities were included in the honeymoon package, but we still brought about $50 in ones. We didn't use it all, but felt more comfortable when we handed a few over after getting room service, at dinner, etc. We generally didn't tip at breakfast, lunch, or for poolside service. 3) If you don't want to eat very early or very late (we liked to eat at 8 or 8:30) make at least the first few nights of reservations before you go. This can be done via email, and they will send you a confirmation. 4) inward facing rooms seem to be better, since neighboring resorts can be louder. 5) This seemed to be the perfect resort for me and my husband (we are in our early 30's) and there were tons of honeymooning couples and anniversary couples. But it probably isn't the best place for people who are looking for lots of entertainment, parties, etc. After dinner time tended to be very mellow (althogh there is a bar that is open late) with most people heading back to their rooms, having a night cap alone, or (like us) spending a few minutes in the hot tub! 6) you really do have to dress for dinner! we met one or two people who did not come prepared. A few postings on this site have mentioned that they did not like this, but we loved it. It made the whole week seem full of the types of fancy, expensive dinners we don't usually indulge in! Also, after spending 10 hours in a bathing suit, it was nice to be "forced" to clean up at some point during the day.

We are definitely planning to return to the Royal Hideaway... as soon as we can! We recommend it completely. In fact, we met one couple from another nearby resort (also on their honeymoon) and they were having a very disappointing trip.... everything they mentioned (their room, the service, other people at their resort, being forgotten at the airport, expensive food, etc.) almost made us smile since the very same things were going so well for us!

Dear Guest,

It was an honor to have hosted you here for your honeymoon.

Thank you for taking the time to write such a greatly detailled review in regards to our resort. It has been a pleasure to read and recieve your wonderful feedback.