“Beautiful Beach and Quiet Resort - July 2014”

Royal Hideaway Playacar
Ranked #33 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Beautiful Beach and Quiet Resort - July 2014”
Reviewed August 7, 2014

I chose this resort based on other reviews from TripAdvisor. This resort was perfect for us. We were looking for something low key and relaxing and that's exactly what we got.

The most important thing for me is the beach - the water is light blue and clear and the sand is white powder - gorgeous. You are able to walk for miles along the beach and see the other resorts and condos and can see Cozumel in the distance. On this side of the island, you will have to get up early to see the sunrise as you cannot see the sunset, but still worth it.

The pools were great as well. You could be in a very secluded pool and not see anyone all day long or choose one of the main pools and socialize or just relax. There was plenty of seating and umbrellas at the pools as well as the beach.

The room was clean. Really nothing special but comfortable and decent. Some of the restaurants were good, some were okay. Our favorite was the wine pairing dinner that is offered on Friday nights at Venzano (not included but only $35 per person). The sommelier was very knowledgeable and the chef created a special pairing meal. There were seven total bottles of wine at the dinner amongst the seven people that were there, so for $35, it was actually a really good deal.

The Grill was really good for lunch. They had a few different ceviches that were great and the fish tacos were very flavorful. The other restaurants were okay. Each dish was kind of hit or miss, but because it's all-inclusive, you can order multiple dishes and find something you like.

We didn't have any issues with reservations as other people have mentioned, but we were okay with eating at 9:30 a couple of nights. The wait staff and hosts/ hostesses were all very friendly and polite. Some of the service took a little longer than we are used to, but we were there to relax anyway.

As others have mentioned, don't go there if you want to party - things shut down pretty early. I would highly recommend this resort and would go back in a heart beat.

3 Thank Katherine M
Community_Manager_RH, Gerente at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear valued guest,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at The Royal Hideaway Playacar. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with our team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks. As a member of The Leading Hotels of the World, the hotel continuously strives to meet your needs and expectation.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (928)
  • Polish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 7, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is beautiful and clean, the location is perfect. It's not a big party atmosphere as Cancun, but there are cool bars in the area if that's what you are looking for. This hotel is great for couples, very romantic location. Took a tour to one of the underground water caves which was beautiful and a great experience, a must do when visit the area.

Stayed July 2014
Community_Manager_RH, Gerente at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this review, May 29, 2017
Dear Marina V
Thank you very much for writing such a great review in regards to our hotel.
I will be sure to show my team your kind words, and I hope to see your return in the near future as one of our loyal guests.
Kind Regards
Lancashire, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 2 weeks from 8th July. All the members of staff were excellent and went out of their way to make our stay memorable. We had breakfast and lunch every day in 'Spices' Restaurant, the view was amazing as were the staff. We must make a special mention to the manager, Rodolfo and staff members Humberto, Antonio, Caesar, Neftali and Benito.A further mention must be made for all the staff who served drinks on the beach. Our concierge, Susanna in Block 25, sorted out all the restaurants and our daily needs. She decorated our room for our 25th Wedding Anniversary and nothing was too much trouble for her. Our favourite restaurant was Las Ventanas with Daniel in charge together with his staff including Benjamin, Xavier and Humberto (our friend from Spices) a brilliant service was given.
This was our 22nd visit to Mexico and this hotel with its outstanding staff made our Silver Wedding Celebration something really special.
Many thanks to everybody at the hotel for making this another wonderful holiday in Mexico.

Room Tip: Blocks 25, 26 & 27 may be slightly quieter as they are in the middle area of the grounds and the...
1 Thank AMW2001
Dear AMW2001,
Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to write a review in regards to our hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
Kind Regards.
Katy, Texas
Reviewed August 6, 2014

Very nice, relaxing location. Loved every minute! The food is awesome and the people are very helpful. Only one semi-complaint: we arrived on a Friday at 4:00 PM and were told that there were ZERO restraurant reservations available for that night and our only option was to order room service. Wow! Why not allow pre-booking of restaurant reservations ahead of time??? Eating room service your first night in a "5-star hotel" is unacceptable. On one other night we could only get a 10:00 PM dinner reservation. Really?

Other than this, we had a wonderful time. High Tea in the afternoons was awesome and the drinks were very good. Food at the restaurants was excellent, once we finally got reservations. Don't expect a lot of excitement here...mostly relaxation.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank BonesTex
Dear BonesTex,
It has been a pleasure to read such a positive review in regards to our resort.
It is our job to make you feel more than royalty here at the Royal Hideaway.
You will always be welcome here, as your new home from home.
I will be sure to show my team your kind words, which I am sure they will be encouraged by.
Kind Regards.
Union, New Jersey
Reviewed August 5, 2014

My husband & I stayed here for the second time the last week in July. It was just perfect again. We have stayed on many Caribbean Islands, but always look forward to Mexico because of this hotel. It is small and the guests include a mixed crowd as far as ages go.

Check-in is a breeze as we are greeted promptly with champagne & a cool towel and a lovely smile from Pedro.

Grounds
The grounds are immaculate as are the pools. The beach is clean and ocean beautiful. There are plenty of chairs; we prefer to sit under the palm trees where it is breezy and comfortable. Plenty of towels- no problem.

Rooms
We've stayed in building #27 and #31, top floor. Both were located close to the beach; however, any building would have been fine because it is a short walk to the beach or the restaurants. Most people we met liked staying in the buildings in the middle and they preferred the first floor because there are no elevators. Yes the rooms are older, but very clean and well maintained. Service was excellent. The workers are so sweet and eager to please. They make you feel very pampered.

Unbelievable! The food is always presented well. Here is your chance to taste dishes you may never have had before. We always eat breakfast at the buffet as it is overlooking the ocean and we can sit outside if we want. Get the green smoothie. There is another choice- a la carte or room service. We really enjoyed the Italian restaurant and also Ventanas. All the restaurants are extra special. We ate at the Grill everyday for lunch- don't forget to get the ice-cream for dessert. Really good. I had excellent room service from Santiago. The only issue is the "reservations" problem. When I requested specific restaurants as soon as I met with my building concierge, I was very disappointed. I made it a point to meet with him as soon as we were assigned our building because I remembered this issue from the last time. I was told I had to choose different options, unless I wanted to eat at 10pm. This is unacceptable.

Bars
The bars and service are terrific. We loved the piano bar outside of Restaurant Ventana at night before dinner. We went after dinner as well, but we were the only ones there. Most people seemed to go to bed early. The bar tenders were so friendly and fun.

Pools
The infinity pool is just so pretty. I loved the aqua-gym, bingo and entertainment at the pool, especially the live music. One musician was especially good- he played the electric cello with a synthesizer. We were cheering him. What a treat, he was awesome. Please have him more often. At night there is no dance club- that is the only suggestion that I can give to improve the RH.

Tipping: We like to tip because the service is so good and the employees work so hard to please. So we tipped from the day we arrived thru our departure and were happy to do so.

If you want excellent service in an extraordinary atmosphere with interesting people: come here.
We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Any building is in a good location to the beach, pools and restaurants because RH is small. If you d...
Dear schwartz4.
Thank you for share your wonderful experience about your stay with us, We appreciate the time you have taken out of your schedule to post a review.
It is very encouraging to read such good comments about your stay. The team here work very hard to provide a consistently high service and are very proud of what this resort represents. They will be very encouraged by your comments, I will share with all of them.
It has been a pleasure to be at your service; we hope we have the chance to serve you again in the near future, and If you need something please do not hesitate to contact us.
Kind Regards,
New York, NY
Reviewed August 5, 2014

My fiance and I had a relaxing vacation at the Royal Hideaway. We loved the food and all the staff was extremely friendly. The staff puts on a show every day at around 3PM which is quite amusing. The staff goes out of their way to cater to your every whim without being annoying at all. Although most of the beaches in Playa del Carmen are packed, there was plenty of room at the beach at the RH and there were always lounge chairs available. The rooms are spacious and clean but not super luxurious. The pools are beautiful and it was never a problem getting on the tennis court. The Italian restaurant was my favorite. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Anthony S
Thank you for taking the time to share such great feedback regarding your recent holiday to the Royal Hideaway Playacar. It is always a great pleasure and very encouraging to read such positive comments.
We all work very hard to maintain a high standard of service at the Royal Hideaway and it would be a pleasure to welcome you once again to our hotel, your home away from home.
Thank you once again for sharing your wonderful feedback with us.
Kind regards,
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed August 5, 2014

This resort is IT for my husband and I. We have traveled extensively and for the past 4 years, 3 times a year (minimum) - we choose to stay at the Royal Hideaway. The service and food, impeccable these are the reasons we keep coming back time after time. It feels like our second home. Ratings on hotels really need to be re-evaluated. I see some hotels we have stayed at getting a 5 star rating - they do not come close to the quality of this resort. A special thanks the Chef Eugenio, who always accommodates any special requests for meals, Karl & Julio at The Palazzo, our favorite restaurant - food and service here are absolutely amazing. Christian Farias, you are an outstanding person, employee and host, you, my friend are a main reason guests return year after year. Areley Lopez - or A Lo as we call her, thanks for making our rooms special and taking care of our dinner request - we adore you. Chef Eden - best up and coming chef (Karla at Palazzo is already there!) thanks for making me oatmeal every morning and for our special going away party lunch - it was delicious. I can't say enough good things about this resort. It is small, intimate, has THE BEST View I have seen. Every time my husband and I discuss going somewhere else for vacation, we just can't, no where else would live up to our expectations as the Royal Hideaway does every time. This is a quiet property, so if you want a disco and loud partying, this is not the place for you. But if you want total relaxation, pampering and the best food you can imagine - this is it!!

Room Tip: ask for a room close to the pool - on the right side of the resort (as you are looking from the beac...
1 Thank Jerri P
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you once again for sharing your wonderful feedback with us.
Kind regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#54 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#59 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#46 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus by Melia Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus by Melia Playa del Car...
#21 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
#40 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Oasis Tulum
Grand Oasis Tulum
#18 of 23 in Akumal

Been to Royal Hideaway Playacar? Share your experiences!