“Amazing!! ”

Ranked #31 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

The people, the food, the service, the beach, the pools! We loved our time here! My favorite part was the dinners, so fun to get dressed up, eat, and relax! All of the waiters were awesome and friendly!

William was an awesome concierge. He helped us set up our excursions and make all of our reservations. He was always available and knowledgeable!

I cannot say enough about this place! We cannot wait to visit again!

Stayed: July 2014
Community_Manager_RH, Gerente at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2017

Dear valued guest,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at The Royal Hideaway Playacar. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with our team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks. As a member of The Leading Hotels of the World, the hotel continuously strives to meet your needs and expectation.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,498)

Reviewed July 23, 2014

Spent 3 nights with my girlfriend 2 years ago and we absolutely loved the hotel. The staff was great, the food and restaurants were top notch, and the rooms were beautiful. The resort is right on the beach and has a beautiful back drop especially during the sunset. The only criticism I would have is that there never felt like much was going on after 8pm. It could have been the time of the year (January) but it felt like the resort was full. I know there are several bars but we would barely ever see anyone there in the evenings. In comparisons to other resorts we have stayed in they may have needed someone to promote more. I mean all in all people are there to have a good time.
For the price of it all I would probably not come back as I have found some great places in Playa del Carmen that offer as great service and food but with more of "fun" feel. If you want a beautiful, and relaxing vacation, this is the place for you!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear valued guest,

Reviewed July 22, 2014

My 19 years daughter and I stayed at the Royal Hideaway from July 1st for one week and it was a very delightful expericance. From start to finish. There isn’t one thing that we weren’t happy with. This was my second visit to this hotel was just as perfect as the last time. We loved our room and all the conveniences it was so nice and clean.

The service was outstanding and so was the food. There were ample towels and no towel cards were needed. The loungers and plenty of them had clean rolled up towels on them every morning. I’m still astounded at the impeccable service on every level. From housekeeping, waiters and bar staff and even the grounds keeps were so nice. Our concierge Daniella was so sweet and helpful. She made all our reservations and printed our bordng cards and order our transportation. The food was so very delicious and beautifully served. We had place cards at each meal and the serviers refered to us by name which was really nice. Evaristo one of the bartenders learned our names on the first day which was impressive. They served premium barands and made some very refreshing cocktails and very promptly. We needed room service a couple of times which arrive very promptly and again the food display was so good and hot and delicious.

My daughter really liked playing vallyball daily and loved her massage with Norma at the spa and a shout out to Jesus who recomended the spa.
Christian one of the supervisors at the restaurants who speaks impeccable English was so kind to us when he spotted us in town on his day off. He came up to us to ask if he can help in any way. Genaro was bringing us drinks at the beach even though I had advised him that I didn’t have any tips money. He said that he doesn’t work for tips and wanted us to be happy. He came by every 10 minutes to refresh our drinks.
Sergio, Elvis, Leonardo, Ariadna, Angel all made a special effort to make our stay a perfect one. We are planning to go back again

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank StephandJacq
Royal H, Social Media at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2014

Dear StephandJacq

It is very rewarding to read your review, we feel very happy to know that you and your daughter enjoyed your holidays with us. Thank you for sharing it with future travelers.

Our team is dedicated to fulfill our guests expectations. Thank you very much for mentioning the persons who provided an exceptional service;they will be very happy to know you mentioned them. As you noticed, we truly enjoy working at the Royal Hideaway.

Thank you again. It would be our honor to welcome you back to our beautiful resort.

Reviewed July 21, 2014

It must be said first that bar and restaurants service is great... and so is food!!
Highly overpriced for the state of the hotel. Seats by the pool and beach are in very poor state... hotel room with some notorious maintainance problems.
Jacuzzies around the hotel not working properly beacuase of.... Mantenance!!
Very small gym...
At our arrival one of the bedrooms pillow had a blood stain from the previous guest...
It was very difficultous to reserve any restaurant.... everything was already booked at any time.
The consierge wasn't that helpfull... he might have told us that we could reserve for every day at our arrival.
Bottom line.... for the money we spent (average US$450 per night), we could have gone to almost any hotel in playacar...
We had a great time anyway. Playacar is amazing. Great beach and pools, but this wasn't the best choice we've made...

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank CFonte

Dear CFonte,

We want to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. We greatly appreciate your kind comments as it allows us the opportunity to learn from a guest perspective what we need to do to improve in order to deliver a more satisfactory guest experience.

On behalf of Royal Hideaway staff, we do hope that you will visit us again so that we can exceed your expectations.

Reviewed July 20, 2014

My husband and I stayed here in May 2014. We had a great vacation. The resort is in a perfect location in a gated community in Playa del Carmen. The resort grounds are pretty and well maintained especially considering the Carribean location and humidity. We liked the quaint 2 story open air courtyards in each of the buildings compared to the 10 story closed feel of a high rise hotel in some of our other vacations. Daniella was our concierge and she went above and beyond to track us down on the beach the first two days to schedule our dinner reservations. This resort is just as nice, if not nicer than other 4-5 star resorts we've stayed at in Turks & Caicos and the Cayman Islands. It's not uncommon in these beach locals to sometimes see minor peeling paint or wallpaper in any property due to the humidity. Our room was clean and a good size for the two of us. The staff was all very courteous and always greeted us and addressed us by name coming and going from the resort. We felt like they really cared about us as guests. We thought the breakfast buffet was more elaborate than any hotel we've stayed at and it was always fresh. The lunches were average on the Deck and sufficient for lunch. The dinner we had at Las Ventanas was delicious and service was great. Prior to our trip we had all other dinners scheduled at local restaurants we booked through Trip Advisor as we wanted to experience other areas of the town. Overall we loved the location, thought the staff was great and would stay again.

Room Tip: There are limited ocean view rooms because of how the property is situated and those are much more c...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Julie W
Guadalupe S, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2017

Thank you for making our Royal Hideaway your choice hotel on this occasion and for your very kind recommendation to the travel community , this positive feedback keeps us motivated to encounter the compliance of our demanding quality standards.

Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

If you are looking to relax and reconnect with loved ones this is the place. If you want a raucous party atmosphere go next door to the Riu.

Our teenagers were a little envious of those at the Riu but got over it quickly when they had their first meal at the Deck.

The staff here is amazing and attentive, loved that they made my kids practice the Spanish they've been learning at school.

The food at all the restaurants is delicious and beautifully served.

Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank EveM

Dear EveM

Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about your experience with us.

We are thrilled that you and your family enjoyed our resort and all the food. And most happy to know that your sons reinforced their spanish with our staff. Our top priority is our guest’s satisfaction we feel very happy that this was your case!

Thank you again! We hope to have you back very soon with us to spend another amazing time!

Reviewed July 18, 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for a few days. We picked it based on recommendations from family and all the great reviews it had on Tripadvisor. Had we known what we were getting ourselves into, we would have picked a different hotel. You may have already read her review, but I wanted to give my own perspective.

First off, note that this resort is about an hour from the Cancun airport. It’s located in a fairly nice gated community. Check in was smooth. We arrived around 2:30 pm and was told that our room would be ready at 3 pm. A bell boy walked us to the deck to get some lunch and said to head over to our concierge at 3 and she would check us in and give us our keys.

Our concierge was Daniella. She was nice, but immediately upon giving us her introduction I could tell something wasn’t right with this hotel. We had read in previous reviews that reservations were basically a necessity at this hotel. What we did NOT realize was that only certain restaurants were open certain days and therefore the concierge would essentially have to plan every single dinner for us on the spot unless we wanted to eat at 10:30 pm every night. Even more bizarre, the Mexican restaurant would only be open one night that week (Friday) and we were only staying Saturday-Wednesday. How can an all inclusive in Mexico not have a Mexican restaurant open for dinner every day? In retrospect, it’s easy to see that this was a cost saving measure for the hotel, at the expense of their customers.

After spending a solid 20 minutes with Daniella trying to figure out how to get us into the restaurants for dinner at semi-reasonable times, she escorted us to our room. As my wife pointed out, the balcony was a joke and the “fruit basket” was 3 apples on a tray that never got replenished. The mini-bar had some small bottles of water, a few cans of soda and two cans of Tecate. The concierge asked us if there was anything in particular we wanted in the mini bar so I asked for more Diet Coke- this was delivered inconsistently. I’d also like to note that on our last trip to Mexico we stayed at a 4 star resort that provided us with full bottles of liquor in our room and was less expensive than this “5 star resort.” The room itself wasn’t really that big, but we were on vacation and happy so we tried to overlook the room and everything else that had bothered us up to that point. However, the little things did keep adding up to the point that they became extremely frustrating. Here are some of my observations:

1) Food - You’ll read many reviews raving about the food here. For the most part, the dinners are good, but the breakfast and lunch leave a lot to be desired.

Breakfast is served every day in Spices (the Mexican restaurant that is also open for lunch, but apparently only open for dinner once a week!). It consists of a buffet. The hot foods on the buffet sit in warming trays for quite some time. They even put slices of white bread at the bottom of the trays to soak up the fat that is dripping from the food. I noticed other guests generally avoided eating food from those trays. The only fresh food that is hot at breakfast is the omlette station, which consists of one chef with 4 frying pans. The eggs were perfectly fine, but after 3 days of eating eggs you will long for something else. The buffet also had a few cold items, but I noticed people seemed to avoid them, except for the fruit. The fruit was good, but the selection seemed small and they used the smallest serving bowls possible for the more expensive fruit like pineapple and mango (which they did not serve every day). They also took their sweet time in replacing items that ran out on the buffet line. Bottom line- the eggs are the only fresh entree for breakfast; everything else looked unappetizing.

Lunch- You have two options for lunch. Spices or The Deck. Personally I liked the lunch at Spices, but it was the same menu every day and the menu isn’t that big. The menu at The Deck was more varied but again, the menu does not change. While I’m not the pickiest eater in the world, I found myself mainly choosing the same two or three items for lunch every day at the deck because the menu wasn’t that exciting (this is totally subjective and your experience will vary). This also became old very fast and made me look forward to dinner every day.

Dinner- This is supposedly the strength of this resort’s food, but it presented its own issues. As I previously mentioned, you will not have much of a say in where you eat dinner. Your concierge will look at a grid to determine what restaurants are open on a given day and which ones have open reservations. The reservation system is silly because every restaurant that was open was always half empty, even when they were supposedly totally booked. As mentioned in other reviews, there is a dress code. I was aware of this and planned accordingly. I did watch them turn people away, so they are pretty consistent in enforcing it. The dress code is very loose for women (no jeans or shorts) but basically requires men to wear business casual clothing and shoes every night; as someone who has to dress this way for work, I was not thrilled with having to wear this every night on vacation in the Caribbean where it is exceptionally humid. With the exception of Las Ventanas, the cuisine and atmosphere didn’t really match up to the dress code that was dictated. Also note the air conditioning in the restaurants is adequate but not great so wearing business casual becomes very uncomfortable.

Palazzo- We ate here the first night. We had good (not great) Italian food but overall enjoyed the experience.

Las Ventanas- Initially my wife and I were a little weary of eating here based on the sample menu we saw online. We were pleasantly surprised when we saw the menu that day and this experience was probably the highlight of our trip. The food and service there were great. Be aware though that it is a slow meal.

Azia - we ate at the hibachi tables. I thought the food was good, but not great. The experience was comparable to any other hibachi restaurant.

The Grill- The Grill was only open one night during our stay. It is basically the interior portion of The Deck, serving steakhouse cuisine. This was our last dinner of our stay and by far the worst one. As my wife mentioned, our first table had ants crawling all over it and the wall next to it. We were promptly reseated after complaining. Once settled in, we found that our waiter barely understood our order. At one point he brought out a small palette cleansing drink. Instead of allowing me to sip it slowly, he hovered over me and asked me if I was done with it until I handed it back to him.

As for the food at The Grill, the beef used is extremely poor quality and is not properly butchered or trimmed. When we placed our order (I ordered the NY strip and my wife ordered the T bone), he asked if receiving our steaks well done would be ok. Anyone who has been to a 5 star steakhouse knows that you never offer to serve a steak well done. I asked for it to be cooked medium and what I received was a steak that did not resemble NY strip in any way shape or form and was basically raw, save for the parts closest to the edges. I took two bites and decided that the steak had no seasoning whatsoever and the quality was just bad. My wife’s T bone was not a T bone at all. It was just an untrimmed random cut of meat with tons of fat chunks surrounding it. It too was improperly cooked and tasteless. Her mashed potatoes were basically cold and so were my french fries. The french fries I ate at the Johnny Rockets at the airport the next day tasted fresher.

Desserts at this hotel are extremely subpar outside of Las Ventanas. The room service flan was fairly good, and my wife generally ordered that after dinner.

Room service was generally good, but our order almost never came the way we asked for it.

2) Service- In general, it is lacking in this hotel. Our concierge was nice, but never at her desk. At the pool and on the beach, the service was almost non-existent. I pulled our chairs to the spot we wanted on the beach. Only after I found the location I wanted and dragged the chairs myself did someone ask me if I wanted help. Drink service was spotty at best, and my wife and I generally wound up walking to the bar ourselves to get what we wanted. They hand out the smallest bottles of water which are totally inadequate in the extreme humidity. You could succumb to heatstroke waiting for a waiter to fill your drink order. We also noticed on several occasions when a waiter did take our order, they would forget what we ordered and we would have to remind them when they finally returned to us.

People play the towel game here and despite signs warning you that they will remove your belongings after 30 minutes if they were left unattended, this never actually happened.

3) Room- We were assigned to a luxury room, which was really just average. The rooms have paper thin walls and you will hear everything going on outside your room. I didn't hear music from neighboring hotels like others complained about, but I heard every footstep and cart being pushed outside near my room.

The air conditioning systems in this hotel are very inadequate in both the guest room and public areas, with the public bathrooms totally lacking air conditioning. In the guest room, the thermostat was a very rudimentary mechanical dial thermostat. Despite setting it to the coldest setting possible, it never got really cold. On our second day, the air conditioning unit leaked sometime after we went to the pool in the morning. We got back after our room was cleaned and noticed a giant puddle. We called our concierge who sent a repairman. He spent 10 minutes blowing into a plastic tube to unclog the drain line. At that point it became obvious to me that this hotel does the bare minimum when it comes to maintenance and would rather just fix things when they break. Again, the air conditioning system in just about every part of this hotel is subpar and needs to be upgraded. In addition there was mold and mildew in our shower and the wallpaper was peeling in the toilet area of the bathroom - things you do not expect to see at a 5 star resort.

The grounds- they look great when you first arrive, but after walking around for a few days you can see that nature and time are taking its toll on this resort. With proper maintenance, this wouldn’t be as much of an issue and at a 5 star resort you expect everything to be perfectly maintained, but that isn’t being done here, probably to save money.

This may have been a 5 star resort in the past, but current conditions no longer warrant it. By our last night we couldn’t wait to leave, which isn’t how anyone wants to feel when their vacation is over. I wish we could get our money back.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
8  Thank David1120

Dear Mr. David1120,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at Royal Hideaway with future travelers; we regret we were not able to fully meet your expectations. We do apologize for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay with us.

We appreciate your comments both positive and constructive about your experience as it helps us to improve our resort for future and returning guests.

We hope you will give us another opportunity to host you again and offer you a better serve.

Sincerly,