“They do everything for you!”

Royal Hideaway Playacar
Ranked #32 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Arizona
“They do everything for you!”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

We loved our stay. Your room is cleaned everyday and then AGAIN in the evening with your bed being turned down and chocolates left for a nice treat. They worked very hard to make sure you did as little as possible while you stayed with them. BE WARNED though. They have strict dress codes for dinner. Men must have dress pants, shoes and shirt and women are not allowed to wear shorts (even dress shorts) and you must have dress sandals or shoes. You also need to reserve ALL your dinner plans for your entire stay as soon as you arrive! Some restaurants are not open every night and if you wait you will be eating at 9:30pm. The confirmation paperwork only stated that men must wear pants to dinner. We stayed at other Occidental's and they had both casual and dressy dinner locations to choose from. While I had a couple of outfits to wear my husband only wears jeans for the most part and brought no dress shoes. This left us squeezing in a meal before the pool restaurant closed or we had to call in for room service. As nice as that sounds you really don't want to be eating dinner on your bed every night.

1 Thank SMZinAZ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (914)
  • Polish first
Reviewed June 29, 2014

This was my wife's favorite vacation, and admittedly, it squeezes into my top 5 (I'm an avid snowboarder so my list was previously filled with only ski destinations) . From the time we were handed our flute of champagne during check-in, to our last specially ordered/off-menu dish from the Deck, the entire experience was amazing. What made the experience so special undoubtedly was the incredible service. All the staff made an effort to make your experience special. From Sergio with his twerking during aqua gym to our waiter finding that one real coconut in the kitchen to put a straw in for my daughter, RHP knows service. Food was excellent with Palazzo being our favorite. Some of the meals actually rival 4-5 star establishments in NY or Paris (of which the food memories were fresh to compare from our recent Christmas in Paris trip). The hotel layout and landscaping was well designed that truly created an oasis in Playacar. The overall design avoided the pretentious and modern designs that so many newer hotels embrace, but was only acceptable in the interior design of a few of their restaurants. The beach was absolutely gorgeous and not too crowded. I didn't even mind some of the brazilian style bikini bottoms on those who were beyond their prime. They just need to figure out how to keep traders and bankers from sharing their big deal stories so loudly with the entire pool community.

Other minor complaints:
1. Bedding and Beds need to be updated. It's old for a 5 star establishment. (This one is actually a big complaint but should easily be resolved during their next cycle of renovation)
2. The room had a musty smell. My guess is that the rooms don't have exhausts and outside air to refresh the air in the rooms.
3. The wifi was very slow. They should give the guests an upgrade option for higher bandwidth. It would have been nice to lay in the sun while watching the World Cup.
4. They need to offer more TV channels. I know, I know. One should be out enjoying the sun but sometimes one needs to recover from "too much" sun and good TV keeps the mind off the pain.

Although our experience in Playa is limited and we're unfamiliar with other hotels, my sense is that we'll be back to RHP.

Room Tip: Stick to the interior buildings. We stayed in building 27, which was also close to the pool.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank WashDCLee
San Diego
Reviewed June 29, 2014

I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the Hideaway. We went there for an early celebration of our 25th wedding anniversary. From the minute we stepped out of our van, we were treated wonderfully. Everyone has a smile on their face & you are greeted with champagne while checking in. Bogar helped us with our luggage & was the friendliest bell hop I've ever met. If you have any questions about getting around town-he's your man! We were supposed to eat dinner at a restaurant that night, but we were so tired from getting up so early. We decided to order room service...if the food from room service was this good, I couldn't wait to eat in the restaurants! All of the restaurants had awesome food. I have nothing bad to say about any of the food we ate. You do have to dress for dinner, but you can still be pretty casual. They just don't want you in shorts & flip flops for dinner. Every dinner was an event-meaning you are not going to just be in & out. Each course is served individually. I love that it made us slow our selves down. Everyone from waiters to bus boys were great. I got the impression that the Hideaway has happy employees.
Our room was always clean. We had one problem with our refrigerator & it was replaced in a timely manner. They even decorated our room for our anniversary-a very nice touch!
The pool area does get crowded & some people would stake their claim to chairs bright & early in the morning. When that happened, we just moved down to the beach area. One way or another we always found a great spot to rest ourselves. I mean, is there really any bad spot in Playa Del Carmen??
I highly recommend this hotel & can't wait to return again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rosebud65
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 28, 2014

Just back from our stay at the Royal Hideaway what a fantastic time we had. Yes there were minor faults with the room which should be rectified as they are a 5* hotel - the mirror in the bathroom needed replacing and the bath had seen better days. There have been several reviews mentioning the balcony looking rusty and in need of painting - they are being replaced, but why are they not painting the corner posts? attention to detail springs to mind. That is the only reason for 4 for rooms.
That out of the way here is my review of he holiday - we did a request months before we went and again in the week before saying we would like a middle block but when we arrived we were put to the side block 23 - did not understand why if we sent a request several months this did not happen still we were offered a different room 3 days later but after settling in our room we decided to stay. Virgin do say in there brochure you will be offered a room upgrade this did not happen to us or any guest we spoke to but we do know there were rooms available. Our concierge Juan Louse was fantastic and made us very welcome and booked all our meals without any issues (we did book our first two nights in advance).The dress code is adhered to re shorts but only if you are male we saw a young women in denim shorts in one restaurant's and a man in a tee shirt in the top restaurant. I cannot praise all the staff enough from maids, bar staff, gardeners, waiters to those many people getting the drinks for us the beach, Jesus for booking our Spa and the entertainment. What did surprise me how little people tipped especially those who make a big about tipping. The food was outstanding in all restaurants, the only meal we did not enjoy was the Mexican night in the theatre which I thought was very poor. We meet some lovely people especially Garry and Toni (hope I have spelt that correctly) thanks for the help with the menus and pity we did not complete the cocktail menu!!!!!
Would we go back and recommend this hotel - definite yes from us - we have started saving for June 2016.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Virgin Holidays

ny
Reviewed June 26, 2014

Fifty (50) Shades of Royal Hideaway- Fifteen (15) Years of Spectacular Vacations!!!
We recently returned from out 50th visit to Royal Hideaway. Many of you, who follow my reviews, know that we truly consider RH to be our second home. For those of you who don’t know how we have possibly been to RH fifty times, I will provide a short synopsis, which will hopefully facilitate your understanding of why we love Royal Hideaway, and why it is so very special to us.
We heard about RH while visiting an Allegro hotel on Cozumel while on a cruise of the Western Caribbean, in 1998. We were told that an adults only five star upscale luxury resort was being built, and that it would be like no other. We were told it would be built soon and to look for it. Royal Hideaway opened in the fall of 1998, and we did look for it, and booked it immediately. We first visited in April of 1999, just six months after its opening, and RH had us, as the expression goes, at hello.
As Royal Hideaway was very unique in its concept at that time, and there were no other hotels of its type between the airport and Playa, we were met at the airport by a driver, and whisked off to her magic. We were met at the entrance, probably by Alvaro one of the fantastic bellmen, who continue to welcome us home today. Our luggage was taken from us, we were given a flute of cold champagne and we were seated at a Queen Anne desk where we were professionally and gracefully registered and provided with all the details concerning RH. We were then escorted to our villa, and introduced to our private concierge, and provided with an in depth tour of our room. Our villa concierge took care of all of our dinner reservations, filled our mini fridge and provided us with a rose petal bath. Being very shy and retiring (SO VERY NOT) we spoke with many guests and became acquainted with the first general manager of RH(Teresa Alfonso) who was a woman who was determined to have RH truly be a place like no other, and who ran the property like a 5 star general. She asked us what we liked and what opportunities for improvement we envisioned. There was very little, that we thought needed improvement and we came to know her, as well as many other members of the staff at RH as we originally, returned once a year, then twice, then three times, etc.
Several years later, in 2003, she was being relocated to corporate offices in Spain, and we happened to be there on the day she was leaving. She introduced us to the new general manager, at that time,(Jean Agarrista) and said ,”This is ( Our Names) ,they are not guests , but are family”, and we have been treated that way ever since. That GM moved on to new opportunities in 2013, when we met the new GM (Lorenzo Chan) who too, continues to treat us as family. So here we are in 2014, and fifty visits later, at our home at Royal Hideaway.
We have seen an incredible evolution at Royal Hideaway, with many changes(principally positive) over the years, but one of the things that remain consistently magical over the years, is the special feeling we get as we enter the portals of RH. Royal Hideaway continues to pride itself on the incredibly phenomenal service that is provided to each and every guest. Staff at RH is trained with the mantra,”Is there anything else I can do for you?”, when that staff member takes his/her leave, subsequent to any interactions with you. There is a certain “essence” at Royal Hideaway that is part of the invisible as well as of the visible structure of the property and, most importantly, of the wonderful staff who are part of the Royal Hideaway family.
We enjoyed our 50th visit from April 26th until mid May, where I celebrated my birthday at the Chef’s Table, enjoying an array of many courses of small but incredibly delicious dishes, as Eugenio Villafana, the wonderfully talented Executive Chef, along with his very accomplished Souse Chef, Luis Romero, explained the derivation of each dish, and made suggestions on how best to approach the dish while savoring it. We have had the privilege of enjoying the special Chef’s Table on many occasions, and yet, Eugenio and his team, never cease to amaze and impress us with their incredible culinary skills, yet more importantly, their overwhelming passion for each dish they create, and for what they do.
The cuisine at Royal Hideaway is indeed very special. We have heard many travelers speak about other resorts, and say that the foods was great,”for an all inclusive”. I can tell you that under chef Villafana’s leadership, the cuisine at Royal Hideaway is excellent, as compared to any fine dining 5 star restaurant.
I had taken the liberty of providing actual menus in previous reviews: therefore, I won’t bore you with that now: however, I can refer you to several of my previous reviews, which you can find on Trip Advisor, for a great deal of menu detail as well as to The Royal Hideaway website, where many of the menus for each of the gourmet dining options are located.
I can tell you that a variety of palate tastes can easily be pleased and satisfied at RH. As Royal Hideaway is an adults only all inclusive resort, the dining options at RH are open only to Royal Hideaway guests. Therefore, although, the ambiance created in each dining venue is such that we feel that we are dining at a fabulous 5 star restaurant anywhere in the world, these dining venues are wonderfully available only to all guests at RH, as part of the all inclusive concept of the resort. How wonderful for us, that these dining venues are so special only for the RH guest, and although you will feel as though you are dining on cuisine as wonderful as in any 5 star restaurant, these dining venues at RH are part of the wonders of the hotel. I know that you, as we do, will feel that you are dining at one of the finest places, perhaps in your area, but how lucky for us, and for you, if you do choose to go to RH, that all of these dining venues are part of RH, and you as we did, will have the opportunity to enjoy any and all of the venues that you choose. Let me tell you about the fabulous cuisine that we enjoyed at RH. It is interesting to note that the cuisine has only improved over the years, and was absolutely superb during our 50th visit.
I want to mention that although, it might seem that these are separate restaurants, that are worthy of their own dedicated reviews, that is not possible to do, because these dining venues, as wonderful as they are, are not outside separate restaurants, and they only available as part of the features of the inclusive concept at Royal Hideaway. They are part of the total resort experience.

We love the city chic sophistication, ambiance and menu offered at Ventanas. The piano bar, that is located within Ventanas, provides us with a wonderful environment to unwind, share a cocktail, meet new friends, or just chat with Jose the bartender, before enjoying a multi course delectable dinner, accompanied by a great bottle of wine.
Palazzo, the Italian venue, sits at the very zenith of the main building at RH, and affords diners on the terrace, the most spectacular view of all of RH, as well as of the majesty of Cozumel and the lights reflecting upon the sea. Often, we were treated to a cellist, or violinist while dining here. This menu is extensive and shrimp, homemade pastas, mushrooms, beef, salmon, chicken, sea bass, osso bucco etc., are all delicious. Want to try something just a little different? Just ask the chef, and if the ingredients are there, he/she will be more than happy to prepare your favorite dish. The tiramisu is superb, as is all the yummy ice cream.
Azia is the Asian award winning venue on the lower level of the main building and offers Teppanaki style, regular table seating or Tatami room dining. Are you with several couples? You may wish to all dine in the privacy of the Tatami room. Want to be right up close to the cooking show? Request a reservation at the Teppanaki table. You can dine on whatever type of cuisine you wish, regardless of where you are seated, as your seating in no way dictates your menu options. We often enjoy a regular table so we can chat between ourselves, in a more romantic manner. However, there are times, when we enjoy the opportunity to meet many mew friends at the Teppanaki table. The sushi is very fresh and is delicious. Oh, by the way, I’d like to let you know that the sushi is prepared with cream cheese as a rule at RH, and it seems in several other sushi houses in Mexico. Therefore, if you, like I prefer sushi sans cream cheese or queso, just tell your waiter. The fried ice cream is a real dessert treat! Don’t forget to try a specialty cocktail or perhaps some flavored hot or cold sake.
If you are in the mood, for dining al fresco, in a bit more casual ambiance, with a spectacular view of the sea and sand, you may want reservations at The Grill. The Grill features a multitude of different steaks, fish, chops, chicken dishes, served with really tasty sides and sauces. It features several really tasty starters, and the shrimp and artichokes as well as the tuna and onion soup are spectacular. As many folks seem to want to wear jeans (although in my humble opinion, it is just too hot for this option, with the exception of perhaps, a cool night in the winter), The Grill is a venue where jeans are permitted. We (my husband and I) wear them enough in New York, and I personally love the opportunity to wear all those special dresses that I often see in stores and say, “Where will I were that?’’. My husband enjoys dressing as well. However, this is a venue in which those die hard jeans wearers can indulge their pleasure, while enjoying delicious cuisine.
Spices is the Caribbean/Mexican venue, and is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We had breakfast there every morning and thoroughly enjoyed the very fresh ad plentiful buffet offerings, with the addition of a made to order omelet station, usually manned by the very charming and professional Carlos. Just let him know what you need and it may magically appear. Carolina will welcome you to your morning meal with her amazing smile. Spices offers a full complement of breakfast offerings, including traditional American/ European breakfast fare, as well as tasty Mexican dishes, which rotate daily. A full bread/ pastry table is offered (All baked on premises). Also included are a large variety of tropical fresh fruits (the Mango is to die for), yogurt, cereals, nuts, toppings, including gogi berry, flax seed etc.A fresh cheese/meat table is available, as well as fresh salad, in house prepared fresh salmon (Nova lox), hard boiled eggs etc. Of course, waffles, French toast, scrambled eggs, bacon/sausages, a variety of potatoes, and assorted vegetables are available as well. Just think of a breakfast beverage, a cocktail (perhaps a Bellini or a mimosa) a smoothie, an international coffee or cappuccino that you might want and it is yours for the asking. All of the juice is fresh and truly delicious. Our personal breakfast favorite is champagne with cranberry juice (jugo de arondano). It’s our version of the mimosa, and it is and has historically been our way to toast each new day, as we enjoy breakfast on the terrace overlooking the playa and the sea. Eden, one of the fabulous chef’s at Spices, always insured that everything was just perfect, as he indulged us with those freshly prepared corn muffins. You can also enjoy a great Mexican style lunch at Spices, perhaps with a great flavored Margarita. I personally enjoy strawberry or coconut and love it prepared more like ices than as a beverage. The coconut shrimp and the tuna cones are fabulous! You can also enjoy some Mexican/Caribbean cuisine for dinner at Spices, often while being treated to a harpist. And by the way, for those jeans lovers … you can wear your jeans to Spices as well.
If you want to enjoy an ala carte breakfast, or a mini breakfast buffet (cereal, fruit, breads, pastries) while enjoying the majesty of the sand and the sea, you can also enjoy breakfast at the Deck.
There is also a dinner theater(Club Royale) that featured a Mexican show, with an enormous buffet, featuring every conceivable Mexican dish and a circus show(really worth seeing, as the gymnasts/acrobats are incredible) that offered a complete ala carte menu.
Lunch is available seated at the Deck with a fairly extensive menu, featuring ala carte plates of salmon, burgers, salads, pizza, ribs, fresh tuna, ceviche, shrimp, tacos, burritos, enchiladas , chicken, fresh fish etc. You can also enjoy lunch from the grill prepared poolside that features a variety of offerings, depending upon the day, including, paella, sushi, freshly grilled fish, steak, ribs, chicken etc. We truly enjoy lunch at the Deck, with a few glasses of wine. It makes lunch, all the more special, and of course, romantic.
Not in the mood to leave your lounge chair or Bali bed, poolside or at the beach? Just tell a passing waiter and you can enjoy a complete lunch, as well as beverages, right where you are very comfortably situated.
If you want a true Mexican lunch (after all you are in Mexico) you might venture upstairs to Spices and simultaneously have a brief respite from the sun while enjoying the air-conditioning and a fresh margarita, or perhaps, a beer or glass of wine. The coconut shrimp is superb, as are the tuna cones.
Please do not hesitate to let your server or the maître’d in any of the dining venues at RH know if you have any specific dietary requirements or food allergies, and the culinary staff will certainly try to meet your personal needs. Are you gluten free or a vegetarian? There are options on the menus that provide choices for you.

A new and really great evening dinner/entertainment option that began during this visit is the beach party, which of course, takes place directly on the beach. It featured a wonderful fire show and a fabulously talented reggae band. In our opinion, this is a must do. Dinner was served on the beach, in a buffet fashion; albeit, guests were seated at white linen adorned tables and chairs in tables of about 10.Many new friendships were cultivated that evening. This is only one of the dining and entertainment options for the evening. You can choose to make reservations, at any of the ala carte restaurants, should you prefer.
Although, we did not dine at a table for two enjoying a romantic dinner on the beach, during this visit (yes, we have enjoyed this special treat during past visits) we saw several couples enjoying this special evening during our 50th visit. Should you choose to enjoy this incredibly romantic option, you will be seated at a beautifully decorated table, surrounded with tiki torches and will be enjoying a romantic dinner on the beach with your own tuxedo clad waiter, dedicated to your service. The sand on the beach will be swept prior to your footsteps entering it, and it will be yours that will be the first to imprint the special path. This can be arranged via your concierge and is not part of the all inclusive features; however, it is very special and memorable, and truly a great fashion in which to celebrate a special occasion. We have celebrated several anniversaries with this dinner and have heard of many beautiful proposals taking place during this romantic dinner.
High tea takes place daily from 4-5:30 in the exterior lobby with every type of beverage available to suit your drinking pleasure. While we were there, a saxophone player provided beautiful sounds to accompany the high tea. You can enjoy specialty coffees, a glass of champagne, a cocktail, or a variety of specialty teas, served with an assortment of pastries, made by the RH pastry chef.
For us, the evening entertainment consists of a before dinner drink, usually at the Ventanas piano bar( regardless of where we are dining for that evening)dinner, followed by a stop at the Allegria bar, located directly under the main staircase, on the opposite side of the Azia , to listen to some wonderful music/ singers and chat with friends. Fanny is a super professional wait person at Allegria who will know your drink and replenish it before you even ask.
Do not miss the tenor duo at the Allegria. This consists of a male and female who both have outstanding voices and who perform many show tunes. They are fantastic!
The Argentinean/International duo of a guitarist/ singer/ saxophone player is also truly talented. The reggae band from Jamaica is absolutely wonderful and had everyone up on their feet dancing (yes, we and many other guests, were dancing!) and asking for more. Their instrumentals are great and the band member’s voices are fabulous.
There was a circus show in the theater while we were there and it too was wonderful. The acrobats /gymnasts are truly talented and have incredibly sculpted bodies.
The Mexican dinner show is worth seeing as it provides a little of an historical overview of Mexico and the Mayan culture.
As I noted previously, I suggest that you do not miss the beach party, which incorporated a fire show as well as the reggae band.
The daytime entertainment has increased a bit as well, and we are very pleased by that. There were several days during which, either Latin bands, an electric cellist or a saxophone player entertained poolside. Each of these performers was great and provided some lovely afternoon music.
Also added was a fashion show featuring resort wear (cover-ups, etc.) that were available for purchase. I must say that they were very different, and the prices were not outlandish.
You can start your day with either yoga or stretching, but aqua gym is a daily activity that we both enjoy. It takes place in the infinity pool, daily at 11:30, and you can get a real workout while cooling off and enjoying yourself. Miniature golf and beach volley ball as well as Bocce are also among the daily activities, as is the daily Bingo game, where you can win a bottle of tequila, or perhaps a trinket of locally made jewelry. Don’t miss the “Love is in the Air” dance which takes place daily at 3:45. My husband and I are daily dancers with the entertainment team. We are so very pleased that this special dance has made a comeback, as it disappeared for some time, and many guests truly seem to enjoy it. We are available, to teach any of you who want to learn and join us.
To say that the beach or the “playa”, as it is referred to in Spanish, is simply spectacular, is truly an understatement. The beach is wide, pristinely kept, with shaded areas naturally provided by beautiful palm trees, or tented cabanas, for those wishing to stay out of the sun. One item that still fascinates us to this day is the fact that the sand never is hot, regardless of the air temperature, making it easy to walk on. The Gulf is beautiful and the water was very warm and calm during this visit.
The rooms are arranged in villas, numbering, numbering from 21-31, with a villa concierge, who is there to make your dinner reservations, book any excursions, answer any questions, arrange special perks for a birthday/anniversary, etc. Please tell him/her if you are celebrating a special event, and I am sure that your room may have a beautiful surprise. Ours was beautifully decorated with gorgeous balloons for my birthday. Please let your concierge know what you would like in your mini fridge, and he/she will do his/her best to insure that your wishes are met. For example, we like only water, and diet soda. We are consistently assured that our fridge is filled with both of these.
Your concierge is truly your “go to” person who is there to assist you in any way possible. Need something, or want something? Just ask your concierge and he/she will do whatever he/she can to exceed your expectations.
If you want to dine at particular restaurants, just give your concierge some flexibility regarding the reservations, and he/she will do whatever he/she can to insure that you dine where you wish to dine.
We have heard some people say, that they do not like a dinner reservation system. Frankly, we prefer it. We like knowing where and at what time we are dining on any particular evening. It is a system we are very accustomed to here in New York as well. We make dinner reservations, when we go out o dinner, and then we know how to plan our day and evening.
The housekeeping staff is superb and your room is cleaned twice a day. It is cleaned during the day by the day housekeeper and then once again in the evening, usually when you are happily enjoying your dinner, by the night turn down housekeeper. Wouldn’t it be great if at home, when you were having dinner, you had your bathroom tidied up, you received all new fresh towels, and soap, you had turn down service of your bed, your slippers were arranged for you, and chocolate was left on your pillow? I don’t know about you, but it’s not exactly like that in my home in New York. Need something special? Just let the day or night housekeepers know, and they will truly try to exceed your expectations.
Royal Hideaway has a compact but very efficient gym. It was totally revamped about two years ago with all new equipment, which my husband uses regularly. I am more of a walk on the beach, water aerobics, and work out with bands kind of a girl who enjoys doing her workout outdoors while at RH.
Want to swim privately or perhaps practice some laps. There is a large spa pool, directly outside of the gym and spa, that is rarely used, or should I say perhaps until others read this.
The spa and gym are housed in the same location. They are directly under the main lobby, with an entrance right through the glass doors. The spa was also totally redesigned about two years ago and it offers a variety of fabulous therapeutic options. You can have a massage (single or couples) a facial, a seaweed wrap, etc. A variety of treatments are offered and the therapist is extremely professional. Although, I did not have a massage during this visit, I have had several in the past and they are always performed in the moist professional fashion. Just let the masseuse know the type of massage you want, i.e., Swedish, sports, deep tissue, hot stone. There is also a hair salon that offers manicures and pedicures, etc.
Since this was our 50th visit to Royal Hideaway, we were treated to a fabulously special luncheon, planned by Executive Chef Eugenio Villafana and his staff, where we dined with with members of our Royal Hideaway family. This was indeed very special to us and we were genuinely touched. We had the opportunity to spend quality time breaking bread with and talking with, some veteran staff (family members to us) whom we have come to know over time, as well as the special privilege of getting to know newer Royal Hideaway family members.
It is no secret, that we truly consider RH our home, and that we consider the staff to be our extended family. We have watched many of them mature over the past fifteen years, and have come to know their families. We have developed long lasting friendships with people from all over the world, with whom we originally became acquainted, while we were all guests at RH, with who we are in touch regularly, and several of whom we see here in New York. As we frequent RH multiple times each year, and RH is probably one of the few places that has such an incredibly high rate of repeat guests; however, none, who have been to RH as many times as we have, while at RH, we have the wonderful opportunity to frequently visit with our friends from all over the world at our second home. We have even heard that guests do phone RH (or ask upon check in) to find out if we are there, so that we can have the opportunity to spend some great times together. Actually, one couple told us that they had a bet, and upon seeing us at RH one said to the other, “I told you, that they would be here!”
We are anticipating our 51st visit, as well as many more visits to our wonderful home in Playa. We sincerely hope that someday,( hopefully very soon), if you decide to spend some wonderful vacation days at Royal Hideaway, that we will have the pleasure of meeting you and perhaps you too will come to consider RH your home in Playa.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
9 Thank 1diva
Colorado
Reviewed June 25, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the RHP for our wedding anniversary June 17, 2014 to June 22, 2014. This was our second visit but I must say it was a horrible experience to say the least. The biggest complaint is the resort is older and they need to update their air conditioning system. We complained about our room not getting cool the very first day and they did absolutely nothing. We complained again the second day of our visit and they said they would move us to another room the next day and meanwhile would bring us a fan... Well the next day the rooms (two of them) we were suppose to be moved to was according to them given away. They sent us to look at another room in another building where the maintenance guy was working on the air conditioning when we walked in. We advised them why would we move to another room with the same problem and we were told to check back with them later to see if that room would be cooled off. By then my wife and I were fed up. We suffered out the rest of our visit in agony. We mentioned our dilemma to the management team at the returning guest reception who apologized and stated they would correct the problem and we never heard back from anyone. Upon our return home I sent a letter to the general manager complaining about how unpleasant our visit was. We received a reply from the assistant that they would gladly give us a discount on a return visit to make up for our terrible visit. When I sent them dates they sent me prices that were not discounted.... I complained and they responded SORRY.... Needless to say we won't be going back there ever..... When you drop the ball RHP you make it RIGHT!!!!! Worst trip ever!
Kevin and Laura McNeil
Building 25 room 2521

Room Tip: Make sure you email in advance to put you in a room where the air conditioning works!
20 Thank Nostalgic1
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed June 25, 2014

The entire experience was such a pleasure. The entire staff can not do enough for you, you're treated like royalty. Fantastic food and drink.....still can't get over how we were treated.
The entire vacation was so relaxing, it helps you get away from it all.

Only negative I have to say is, if your wife has a lot or makeup amenities.....not much room. The shower....not much room. Everything else makes up for it. We will be back in 2015, to celebrate our 41st anniversary.

Room Tip: If you are not the lead dog, the view never changes.....so if you want to see all of the beach, ocea...
3 Thank terry b