“RELAXING ANNIVERSARY WEEK AT THE HIDEAWAY”

Royal Hideaway Playacar
Ranked #31 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
FLYING HILLS, PA
“RELAXING ANNIVERSARY WEEK AT THE HIDEAWAY”
Reviewed April 22, 2014

We spent a week at the Royal Hideaway for our anniversary in November. The hotel was not as crisp and brand spanking new as some of the other resorts in the area, but it was still very clean, comfortable and welcoming.

Check-in was quick, easy, and courteous.We were greeted with champagne and chocolate covered strawberries in our room to celebrate our anniversary. We had a nice comfy king-sized bed and jacuzzi tub, and free wi-fi. Our concierge Eduardo took good care of us with reservations and setting us up with the outdoor hot tub jaccuzzi swimming pool at exactly the time we requested.

Made dinner reservations for the first 4 nights via the internet before we arrived, which was very nice and seldom occurs at other resorts. Food was very good, service was spectacular, awesome tequila selection (including La Pinta, Centenario, and Herradura) and other top shelf spirits.

Beautiful beach, with excellent service on the beach. Alberto, our favorite waiter from breakfast, took care of us with drinks on the beach, before even requesting refills, and provided excellent service again at the pool (cashews included),,,,,

After a short time, everyone knows you by name.

The hotel is a short walk to town. We had dinner at La Mission. Excellent, get the coconut shrimp. The lobster was a good value and delicious.

There is some night life at the hotel. The Elvis show and the reggae band were very good. They could use a bigger venue. This is not a place for late night partiers.

They have a business center, where you can check in for your flight home and print your boarding passes. {this was a big deal for my husband}, When we got to the Cancun airport, their computer system was down, and we had boarding passes, while others had to wait for handwritten boarding passes on Usairways.

The afternoon tea is very nice.

We would return again, our only complaint was that we had some rain that week, which is no fault of the hotel.

This is an elegant, relaxing resort. No complaints. We will return.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank ISLANDCHEZ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (914)
  • Polish first
North Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed April 22, 2014

My husband and I just came back form an amazing stay at the Royal Hideaway Playacar Resort. Upon our arrival the staff took care of us extremely well, serving us champagne as we were checking in.
Our first room was on the main floor of the villa, after 1 night of sleep there, we asked to change room as we were awake by a noise our AC was making during the night.
Our wonderful concierge took care of it ride away and within a couple of hours he had our luggages moved to another villa. He was very fast and even apologised for the disturbance. It is safe to say that this little trouble did not disturb our vacation in any away. We had our new concierge (Juan Louis) dropping our new room keys as we were relaxing on the beach.
The resort is well kept up to date (workers on site to make sure everything is maintained), fancy and clean.
The staff was just exceptional. From the moment we arrived until we left we were served like "kings and queens" by the staff. Meeting all our needs and desires.
The room service and cleaning staff did an amazing job several times daily to make sure we had everything we needed in our room (such as re-stocking bottles of water, juices and more). Whenever we called our room service, we were always served very fast and well. The staff also made sure to remember our names upon calling from the room, even though it was not a big thing, you do feel appreciated and rememebered.
The food was just superb, with different dinning options to choose from. Our dinners were just delightful, we dressed up accordingly and truly enjoyed it.

The beach was just sublime and very clean. We also tried all the different swimming pools around the resort some more private than other.

The experience was overall just amazing and exceeded our expectations. I am sure that my husband and I will be returning to the Royal Hideaway Playacar.

We would like to thanks all the staff for this amazing and unforgettable stay.

Room Tip: If you are sensitive to AC noise or smell try to stay on higher floors.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shirley M
Dorset, England
Reviewed April 22, 2014

We were treated to a dinner here with friends to celebrate my husbands birthday. A superb place to be treated in!!! A spectacular and incredibly luxurious hotel with similarly delightful staff. The General Manager Lorenzo greeted us and guided us around the gorgeous bars and restaurants. We were entertained at the Chef’s Table – the Chef being Eugenio Villafana - and woweee what a table!! We dined in an air conditioned dining room, just at the end of the kitchen, with a glass wall so that we could see our food being prepared by Chef’s team in front of our eyes. Eugenio eloquently and lovingly described every dish to us and guided us as to how to appreciate the different tastes. We were served with an amazing 12 courses (yes 12!!) each one as colourful and tasteful as the one before – crocodile and chick pea curry, blue cheese ice-cream, black forest stew for example. All of the food was locally sourced, fresh, made from scratch and served in tiny, exquisite mouthfuls. Chef Eugenio also advised on the nutritional value of the ingredients, some courses vegan, some vegetarian. Sommelier Jose advised us on wines with each course and taught us the provenance of each one. The waiter Luis and the team of waiters looked after us beautifully. The finale – a hand made chocolate island – this incredible team of chefs have quite literally made the chocolate themselves from scratch - was so beautiful as to look like something from Disney – yet it was all edible and somewhere beyond delicious. A truly memorable experience for us all that we will treasure in our hearts.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Beardsleys
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed April 21, 2014

We have given more than 220 days of business to this resort over 10 years. We have recommended it to our friends, family, and business associates. We have learned how to work with the "system" at RH for making dinner reservations, scheduling private transfers, and getting requests met so that we have the best vacations possible. We have chosen to acknowledge the best aspects of this resort like exceptional food quality and service, wonderful staff/employees, perfect beach environment, and adults only, relaxed/quiet atmosphere, rather than focus on some of the problems the resort struggles with like check-in procedures and room conditions and locations, and occasional staff who are not empowered to help guests.

During our recent stay at RH, we had excellent food and beverage service EVERY restaurant meal and room service delivery. The beach was GORGEOUS as always. The staff was fantastic. Our room had been slightly updated with new railings and paint on the balcony.

At the end of our visit, a large wedding party and fraternity reunion arrived. It completely changed the atmosphere and quality of service at the resort. An afternoon at the beach was ruined for many guests by the wedding/fraternity group who were poorly behaved with drinking games, profanity, and insults to polite guests requesting that they simply keep the noise down and the language appropriate. Resort management was on site at the beach to speak with MANY non-party guests who were upset. Management repeatedly used the phrase "someone is paying alot of money for this group to be here so there's nothing we can do" . At check-in, all guest sign an agreement that they will adhere to resort rules for the safety and enjoyment of all guests. This agreement clearly did not apply to this large group because "someone was paying alot of money for the group to be here so there's nothing they could do". The resort staff were stretched thin trying to keep up the bar and food service to the large group. Doors slammed and people yelled many times in the late night hours when party guests returned to the villas. The next day, pools were closed at 1:30 for all guests so the resort could prepare for the wedding that didn't take place until 6 or 6:30 p.m.. Areas of the beach were closed and guests were asked to move or relocate so that they could make room for the wedding equipment. Food and beverage service from The Deck was limited. Had this been our first day on the resort, we would have checked-out. Service that day was terrible all over the resort because of the number of staff who were required to put the event together. The pool-side music from the reception played until 11:30/12:00ish. Anyone with rooms in the villas closest the pool were effected.

We read a TripAdvisor post a number of months ago from a repeat guest of RH who encountered a large corporate group that took over the resort and the guest felt the company group received preferential treatment while other guests were under-served and under appreciated. I dismissed that review at the time because we couldn't believe, based on our personal experience from so many trips, that RH management would allow one group of guests to take priority over other guests - it's a small resort that provides intimate service to each guest. We were so wrong. I wish we had heeded their warning and asked about large corporate companies or wedding parties planned in the hotel during the dates of our stay BEFORE we booked. I hope future guests will remember to get this information before you book. The resort is not the same when occupied by large groups.

Both of the events (I think Rehearsal Dinner at the Spa pool and the Wedding/Reception) were beautifully decorated. The events coordinators should be proud. It's clear from the parent's review earlier in the week that they were happy - they should be since "they paid alot of money for the group to be there" as recognized by the RH staff repeatedly. I would totally recommend that anyone considering a destination wedding in Playacar consider Royal Hideaway. From what we witnessed, your group can expect to have full run of the resort with no limitations on services or behavior.

We were asked to review our stay through the Occidental company survey. We made sure they understood that we were very happy AGAIN with much of our stay, but the decisions and communications by the RH management about "someone paid alot of money for this group to be here" were enough for us to consider taking our business elsewhere. They responded with, "sorry we did not meet your expectations; we'll look forward to serving you in the future". No. We have already cancelled our July and November stay at RH and have retracted a recommendation we made to a business group that RH was the place to go for a quiet, relaxed destination for adults.

We hope that the wedding party and fraternity reunion guests were so well treated that they will give the Royal Hideaway lots of business in the future. Our family/friends will no longer patronize RH or Occidental resort brands because of the way management at RH handled guests of the resort who were not part of the large wedding/fraternity group.

Room Tip: Room requests do not work. Ask to have the location of your room pointed out to you on the resort m...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
22 Thank acrdesmet
Reviewed April 18, 2014

We just returned from my daughter and son-in-law’s wedding at The Royal Hideaway. The event and the entire weekend exceeded our expectations due to the fabulous staff.

Karina Tagliarini, the wedding coordinator, is professional, caring and dedicated. She answered all of my numerous emails promptly, arranged meetings with various vendors, reassured me during my anxious moments and offered creative input that helped make it a memorable wedding weekend.

I admit to being a Type A personality. My husband and I have a film production background so, we are very detailed oriented. Karina not only planned the wedding for 80 guests, she also coordinated the rehearsal dinner the night before for all of my guests. Most of my guests arrived a few days prior to the wedding, and Karina made certain that all of their needs were met.

Karina also put together an incredible “Dream Team.” Cecilia Avellaneda from Alquimia Events was fantastic! I had very high expectations regarding the decor and she worked tirelessly to make certain that I was not disappointed. She advised me on how to get the most value without sacrificing the look I wanted to achieve. Again, she answered all my many emails promptly, met with me on a several occasions to go over details for the rehearsal dinner and the wedding.

Joann Santa Ana from Mannia provided the MC, Luis Garcia, who was terrific. He kept the crowd dancing for the wedding and the after party. Again, Joann was available for meetings and patiently answered all of my many emails.

Martinna Carrino, from The Best Moments, provided 2 teams of skilled hair and make-up stylists for the bride, bridesmaids, and me. Everyone loved their hair and make up for the wedding (not an easy feat for a group of jaded New Yorkers). Thank you Zoe, Alex, Natasha and Alexandra.

During the entire wedding week, my guests commented on the friendliness of the staff, the beauty of the surroundings, and the quality of the food. The beach was pristine and beach chaises were always available. The staff takes great pride in their attention to detail and to meeting the needs of their guests.

I truly will miss my Royal Hideaway “family”. Again, Karina and Cecilia thank you for going above and beyond to fulfill my expectations. I am certain that my husband and I will be returning to The Royal Hideaway.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Roslyn W
Austin, Texas
Reviewed April 17, 2014

My wife and I celebrated her 40th Birthday at the Royal Hideaway, and once again, All the Staff and accomodations were Wonderful! The Villas are somewhat dated, and need some slight upgrades, but the entire experience with the Staff, Food, and phenominal Beach location makes up the difference! I'll start by stating that the service from our Concierge's in the Villa (Freda and Antonio) was absolutely EXCEPTIONAL when they decorated the room with Balloons and Streamers for my wife's Birthday and made special reservations and accomodations throughout the week to celebrate each day, along with the Main Lobby Concierge's Monica Munoz, Erick, and Roberto, provided us with unparallelled service and additional accomodations! The Activities folks comprised of Carlos, Elvis, David, Sergio and Iveth, kept us entertained the entire trip, and they should all be highly commended for being such a WONDERFULLY Talented group~GREAT JOB Guys!! The Las Ventenas Bar/Restaurant was our Favorite, and Benjamin and Fernando provided OUTSTANDING service/drinks each night, which exceeded our expectations! Genero and Luis at the Grill Bar were our servers, and both would go out of their way to bring us the excellent food/drinks poolside and at the Beach, and the SUPERB Bellstaff of Manuel, Marcos, and Alvaro were absolutely the BEST at their respective positions-Even the our Maid service (Miss Fara) was beyond EXCELLENT~THANKS SO MUCH to ALL of YOU!! We've been twice to the Royal Hideaway, and will continue to come back each year, simply because of the FABULOUS Staff, Food, Entertainment, and BEAUTIFUL Beach and Ocean, it's truly a Heavenly experience!!
JP and Dee Fowler

Room Tip: Second Floor Rooms near the pool and Beach are Excellent
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Mendocino, California
Reviewed April 16, 2014

We spent our spring break at this wonderful hotel. We have stayed at other five star all inclusives, including Zoetry and Excellence Playa Mujeres, but Royal Hideaway is a new favorite due to its fantastic location--the beach is phenomenal, it is within walking distance to town, and there is a golf course across the street. We were also impressed with the beautiful hotel grounds and great service. Specifically, we were incredibly impressed by our villa concierege, Delia, who was wonderful about taking care of our every request and even attending to things for us that we did not think of--she is fantastic! We also really enjoyed the activities staff--Elvis, Carlos, and the rest of the crew were always friendly and fun. There are some downsides to every resort--this hotel is older so the rooms are not as spacious or updated--but the positives far outweigh any negatives here. I hope to return.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends