I absolutely adored my stay at the Royal and I am already planning to return. I always say I would never return to a hotel owing to enjoying new experiences but this is too good to miss.
The food at the hotel is michelin starred. There is no hideous all inclusive buffet experience - every restaurant meal feels like a meal I would gladly pay £50 a head for in the UK. The wine is also fabulous and served cold (quite rare sometimes)!
A tip with drinks is that when ordering a cocktail tell the barman what spirit you would like it to be made with otherwise the default is ALWAYS tequila, regardless of if you order a pina colada or a manhatten.
There are many pools at this property and drinks are brought to you around the pool by fab waiters and if you prefer the beach then it is just a few metres away.
We loved the fact that there was free 24 hour room service; regardless of what you wanted your personal butler would bring it to you. This was really handy as we were out New Year and keeping some odd hours.
I was only at the hotel a few days though I believe the centre of Tulum is beautiful. As a young couple we enjoyed some great local beach parties and loved the atmosphere.
Most people at the hotel were american and around 50 but don't let this put you off. Everyone was respectful and friendly - much better having a hotel where there are no kids dive bombing into the pool and messing around in the restaurants!
I cannot wait to return on a longer trip later this year.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Award winning luxury all inclusive resort set along the beautiful beaches of Playa del Carmen, Mexico. Ideal setting in a serene environment for complete rest and relaxation. Adults only. Member of The Leading Hotels of the World. 2008 winner of the coveted AAA 5 Diamond Award. 11 villas with private concierge are spread throughout the property's immaculate grounds. Six gourmet restaurants serve delicasies in menu-style dining. A full service spa offers the ultimate in papmering and body treatments. Personalzied service and attention to detail set this resort a world apart. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Orbitz, Barcelo, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Splitty, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, HotelsforEveryone, getaroom.com, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Royal Hideaway Playacar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Hideaway Playacar & Occidental Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Hideaway Playacar And Occidental Resorts
- Royal Hideaway Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Hideaway Mexico
- Occidental Royal Hideaway
- Royal Hideaway Playacar Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico