“An incredible experience for adults”

Royal Hideaway Playacar
Ranked #33 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 18, 2014

I absolutely adored my stay at the Royal and I am already planning to return. I always say I would never return to a hotel owing to enjoying new experiences but this is too good to miss.

The food at the hotel is michelin starred. There is no hideous all inclusive buffet experience - every restaurant meal feels like a meal I would gladly pay £50 a head for in the UK. The wine is also fabulous and served cold (quite rare sometimes)!

A tip with drinks is that when ordering a cocktail tell the barman what spirit you would like it to be made with otherwise the default is ALWAYS tequila, regardless of if you order a pina colada or a manhatten.

There are many pools at this property and drinks are brought to you around the pool by fab waiters and if you prefer the beach then it is just a few metres away.

We loved the fact that there was free 24 hour room service; regardless of what you wanted your personal butler would bring it to you. This was really handy as we were out New Year and keeping some odd hours.

I was only at the hotel a few days though I believe the centre of Tulum is beautiful. As a young couple we enjoyed some great local beach parties and loved the atmosphere.

Most people at the hotel were american and around 50 but don't let this put you off. Everyone was respectful and friendly - much better having a hotel where there are no kids dive bombing into the pool and messing around in the restaurants!

I cannot wait to return on a longer trip later this year.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 18, 2014

We love The Royal Hideaway Playacar for many reasons, the main one being the food and the service. The restaurants all serve food which is exquisite and the service and presentation is just as exquisite.
It is a small adult-only hotel with separate villas, each having a concierge who makes everything you desire, happen. Our concierge, Héctor Medina, accomplished WHAT he said he would, WHEN he said he would. (This, as you may know, is not always typical in Mexico!)
We love the gorgeous beach . . . when we were last here about 5 years ago, the hurricane had wiped away any signs of the beach . . . . it's back!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Dale S
Reviewed March 17, 2014

We have just spent 10 wonderfully days at the Royal Hideaway Playacar.
We have nothing but praise for all aspects of the hotel.The staff are attentive and friendly,nothing is too much trouble.
Our concierge Hector Medina was most helpfully , especially in organising all our restaurant bookings on arrival and at our requested times.He also helped us to establish our Internet connection.Nothing was too much trouble for him.
The food in all restaurants was excellent as was the service.
In conclusion if you are looking for a quiet or romantic break with good food then the Royal Hideaway will not disappoint.

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank martinfinch2016
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Arrived March 9/14 via Air Transat. Club seating is well worth the extra money. Good flight, but waited a half hour in plane at Cancun airport for airport connection. Private transfer to airport was over a half hour wait. Stood outside waiting with my 80 year old mother and two siblings. Driver did not greet us nor did he say a word in the car. Obviously, you can speak on your cell while driving in Mexico. Arrived at hotel and we were very impressed by the foyer. We were impressed and so looking forward to this hotel. We were seated and offered champagne but not a cold towel as others were offered. Told that our accommodation of 2 queen beds was not available, but that we'd receive 2 rooms with king beds. Adjoining rooms as requested not available. Air Transat rep. guaranteed 2 rooms with queen beds. I specified this and said that if this hotel could not provide 2 rooms with queen beds I'd look elsewhere. First floor a must as mom is 80 and had a hip replacemet. Off to a very negative start. We were all so stressed out. I dealt with the concierge and Manager and explained that accommodation offered was not sufficient. Manager came over and was no help of any kind. She said hotel was built for couples. She was arrogant. She told us to go for lunch after an hour and a half check-in. Ended up in 2 rooms with a king bed. Next day we were moved to 2 rooms with queen beds on second floor!!! YEP!! my 80 year old mother with a hip replacement and severe osteo/rheumatoid arthritis had to do stairs. AWFUL, INCONSIDERATE AND RUDE. KEEP YOUR WALLETS IN SAFETY DEPOSIT BOX AT ALL TIMES. I had 30 US taken from my wallet. I do take full ownership for this as I did not lock wallet up. Lots of issues with spa explaining 20%, 5% and 16% taxes, The 20% is a tip for the therapist,16% is Mexican tax and the 5% I have no idea. Girl at spa reception is lovely but there is a language barrier. Many of our appointments were either not entered or entered twice. Luckily, I checked this three times wasting my precious vacation time. My 80 minute service was 65 minutes. My mother paid cash for all treatments, yet on departure my sisters were told they owed for those treatments as was I. Accounts department needs to be more efficient and front desk guy agreed. Night before I left I went to reception and asked for my room total and was told it was zero. Sunday 7:20 am check-out turned into a 40 minute nightmare/wait for private transfer man as front desk could not explain my room totals. Unreal. Stressful and frustrating to say the least. Getting a copy of a bill is difficult. One rude waiter at pool bar. He was there by himself Sunday morning setting bar up. I went up to bar a few times to get my own drink as service around pool and beach for drinks rarely came to me. He took a while to serve me, nodded his head which I took meant what would you like to drink. Turned to his co-workers and said a few things about me. Obviously, he did not know I understood him. Wait times to be seated are short. Rooms are very nice and room service is efficient and well done. Grounds are very clean. Pools and beach are beautiful. Jacuzzis are not warm and they are dated. Resort is dated but maintained well. Get up by 5:30 am if you want a bed (only 7 of these), pool chairs facing beach or an umbrella over beach chairs. Beach chairs have clean covers put over mats daily. I think bed covers are also washed daily. Spa services were good for some yet fantasic for others. Gym is big enough and there was never more than one or two people in there. Weight room is sufficient. Steam room and sauna is fantastic as are showers and ammenities in spa/gym. I would like one buffet dinner at night. A la carte dining is very nice. Book restaurants with resort before you arrive. A lady from the US said she books restaurants from home. First day I was told 10 pm to 10:30 pm by concierge for dinners all week. Told her this would not work for an 80 year old diabetic and she then said 6:00 pm to 6:30 pm was available. Concierge girl spoke English poorly. She was lovley though. Spices (Mexican/Caribbean) was just okay. Arrived for 6:30 pm which was our reservation time and were asked to wait in bar area for 20 minutes. Odd as there was no one in restaurant. Our waiter that night was fantastic. Smiling the whole time. Whenever I saw him during the week he was still smiling. He is a lovely person as was our waiter at breakfast (he had glasses). Las Cantanas (Gourmet) was good as was Palazzo (Italian). Did not get to Azia (Asian). Best was The Grill but we could only get in once. Lunch is daily either upstairs in Spices above The Deck (we never went for lunch), or The Deck downstairs by pool which at night is The Grill. There is a buffet outside by pool most days. I did notice some people having food served to them at the beach. At lunch service was good some days. Other days it was slow especially if I went alone. I was ignored until I asked for service. I did notice that men are served promptly. Interesting as so many waiters and managers buzzing about, yet no one served me. I did ask to sit outside many times and was told there was no room at breakfast and lunch. Yet when I looked outside there was room. Show and dinner at Theatre was okay. Not all restaurants are open daily. Shows are few and mediocre. Service is very good and almost all employees have a smile and say Ola. All employees are dressed professionally. There really is a lot of good at this resort. The architecture is pristine. Business centre has internet and a printer. Coffee/tea is there every morning very early. Spices where buffet breakfast is usually has coffee/tea out by 6:30 am. They have to-go cups with lids but not every day. Lids are flimsy so be careful. Men who set-up pool area are so happy and kind. Did not get names but there were many great staff and we provided gratuities accordingly. Staff who did not leave an impression were not compensated nor should they have been. Gift shop and other stores are very expensive in this resort which is typical. Beach towels are ample and you leave them on your chair at pool or beach and they are collected daily. Turn down was done in our room most nights with towels replaced, beds tidied etc... Had a towel made into an animal our last night there only. Fridge stocked daily with drinks. Shower has good pressure and beds are very comfortable. A/C was great. One of the entertainers (Elvis) offered to do a strip teeze for me and my mother. Mom got up and walked away as this for her was inappropriate. He did a card trick wiggling his bottom! He is very vain and walks around resort in a pompous fashion. Tipping goes a long way here even though my package stated tips included. Gardeners work hard, always planting something. Room next to us had 2 young girls who went to the disco and returned to their room at 4:30 am yelling, laughing loudly, banging door and running up stairs. We were awoken by all this noise. The next day William, our concierge, told me they went to the disco. He said they realized the resort was not for them. They were only there for 2-3 days. I finally called the front desk about the noise at 5:00 am. Room service knocked on their door for 10 minutes loudly saying room service. Front desk kept calling their room I presume to say that room service had arrived. Finally, they opened the door saying they did not hear as they were upstairs. Walls are thin and if noise bothers you then be on top floor. In my sisters room you could hear drawers being opened, water running, door opened above them. My mother's and my room faced another very noisy resort. Buliding 25 first floor for one night, then buildings 28 and 30 second floor for remainder of stay. Resorts are right next to each other (no space between). Beaches are public. Locals come around selling goods such as cigars, hats, jewellery and sunglasses but are very respectful. Lots of traffic on beach with people including children walking by from other resorts. Never an issue for us. 13 and up resort so not adult only.

Room Tip: Do not get a room facing another resort as you can hear everything.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank simicr
Reviewed March 15, 2014

We stayed 8 glorious nights in early March. We very seldom return to the same hotel as there are so many to try but we WILL return to this hotel. It has an intimate feel as soon as you arrive. Roberto checked us in in a timely and most courteous fashion. We didn't see him until 5 days later and he called us by name! The rooms are well laid out and we loved the 16 room buildings complete with their very own concierge. Frida, our concierge in building 26, is there on a four month training stint from her Hospitality and Tourism course and I certainly hope the management tries to hire her. She saw our restaurant preferences from the few we had pre-booked prior to arrival and took it upon herself to complete the task for us thereby ensuring reservations for every night. She also booked our golf. Our golf was 'included' at The Playacar course and it is a beautiful golf course in excellent condition. It is almost right across the road but they still come to pick you up by golf cart. The rooms are as little older but very well appointed. I prefer the look and feel of a low two or three story building, as in this resort, over the newer sterile looking resorts(and we've stayed at many).Maintenance staff was always painting or refreshing something.
The two main pools are beautiful, a bit cool, but we loved how refreshing they were. Chairs were never an issue and the resort was 90% full. Fresh towels were placed on each chair every morning therefore no towel cards. The beach is expansive and the sand white and soft. The water is so warm and waves were never an issue. It is very swimmer friendly! We could walk either direction forever, loved that!
Carlos and Elvis, and I forget a couple of the ladies names are the activities staff members. They always stopped to chat and visit and inquire how your vacation was going. We loved them all and they add so much to the resort. The pool wait staff literally run all day and cater to your every whim. We tipped often but never excessively, as the service is so wonderful EVERYWHERE we went.
One area in need of improvement is the gym. It is extremely tiny. There are a row of treadmills in a separate area but the weight area has only one bench and a rack of weights that you can barely reach if someone is working on the cable machines. There is only one stability ball and two mats. Management PLEASE consider expanding this area as today's discerning travellers are looking for an adequate workout space. Personally I preferred running or walking within the gated Playacar area and finishing my workouts in the gym, but if there were any more than three people in there it was uncomfortable and crowded.
The food was for the most part good to very good. We noticed it was sometimes not hot enough. Service however made up for it. All the house wines are wonderful and we did not feel the need to purchase any bottles. We did not find breakfast waits long(as in other reviews) but they provide an outdoor seating area with coffee and champagne and orange juice if you do have a short wait....what a nice way to wake up every day. We did order room service twice and it was quick, efficient and delicious. One small negative, my husband did not like wearing closed toed shoes and long pants every night. Perhaps they could review this at the two beachside restaurants as it was very warm, even at night. All of the ladies, me included, are in strappy dresses and open toed sandals so why not golf type shorts for the men and collared shirts with nice sandals(no flip flops)? We ARE in a tropical country and on vacation. Please consider relaxing the code somewhat. I would be remiss if I didn't mention how wonderful the bartenders and liquor selection is. We did not have one bad drink. Luis at the beach bar is a wonderful bartender.
Fanny, at the small but beautiful outdoor cocktail area was the most gracious and attentive server. We looked forward to visiting her every evening before and sometimes after dinner. She made a point of remembering our preferences too.
The fiesta and Mexican buffet was wonderful and we highly recommend it.
It is one of the nicest vacation spots we have been to. It's proximity to Playa Del Carmen allowed us to walk(twenty minutes) or cab(80 pesos) if we felt the need for entertainment. And we did go into town two evenings to listen to music and wander around. It is a vibrant, fun and safe place.
Way to go staff and management. You are warm and wonderful hosts. Thank you for thawing out two winter weary Canadians! We hope to see you soon.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Sandy B
Reviewed March 15, 2014

Wonderful selection of food and more than anyone can eat. No waiting to be seated as t4long as you made reservations as frrecommended. Reservations are easy to smake. Just asking me your room detail handler. He will fix anything. The rooms are very spacious and comfortable. Beach is beautiful and the water wonderful. We had a fantastic time and will definitely come again. The only negative I have are the handicapped grab bars. All except one are on the left. I. Have no use of myleft. Arm so they where useless to me. Occidental Royal Hideaway Playacar Resort needs to install some mon the rightnside.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 14, 2014

My wife and I recently got married in January at the Royal Hideaway Playacar. I agree that the rating system of five stars is adequate for the resort itself. However I do not feel that the level of service is being truly represented by this scale. Karina was our resort wedding planner, and I hate to even put her in a bland category of just "good customer service". She truly made my wife and I feel like we were family and took every opportunity to exceed all expectations. If you are planning a destination wedding, and you're hesitant, it is COMPLETLEY worth your time to reach out to Royal Hideaway Playacar and ask for Karina. I wanted to devote the first part of my review to her because I do not think the level of commitment that she has to her clients and her job is something that should be overlooked.....simply amazing to work with!!!

Moving on to the rest of the resort:

Food: Absolutley delicious!! There are a couple of different restaraunts onsight with different cuisine category choices (also room service is fast, accurate and always polite)

Drinks: I don't know.....I drank Mudslides the whole time....and they were off the charts good!!

Service: Luis y Luis at the bar, Mario at the pool, Juan Luis concierge....it's two months later and I still remember everyone's name if that tells you anything....absolutely stellar!!

Accomodations: Clean, high end luxury, soft beds, great views no matter where you are

Photography: This was one of our big concerns, because we were flying blind on this one. I believe it is "Blue Nile" photography. Niccolo was fantastic and we feel bad that we were even worried about it. We had many compliments on the quality of the photos (lighting, creativity etc), and quite simply put......we were blown away by the job this company did.

I hope that this review in some way helped to provide you a clear vision of what our experience was like, and it at least encourages you to find out more....like I said before, you won't be sorry!! We are so happy with the quality of this resort that we are already planning our return trip next year. Thank you for taking the time to look this over and good luck!!!

Warmly,