“Great relaxing vacation, with some tips”

Royal Hideaway Playacar
Ranked #32 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Vancouver, Canada
“Great relaxing vacation, with some tips”
Reviewed December 18, 2013

My husband and I just came back from 8 nights celebrating our 20th Wedding anniversary at the Royal Hideaway. We have been to Mexico a few times before, but this was our first time in Playa del Carmen. I read many reviews and did tons of research before picking the RH. It was our first trip to Mexico without our kids and to an adults only resort.

There is so much to love. They do all the big things well, like so many other reviews say:
- great beach, with a great ocean
- great distance from Playa so that I could get up every morning and exercise all the way there and back. And I always felt perfectly safe on my walks.
- good food with good service. The servers work very hard as these are not buffet dinners - they are serving 3-5 courses with palate cleansers in between so they are always going. So not a ton of time to get to know them, but the service is good in the restaurants.
- we loved our room in Building 31 - so close to the pool. Beds were really comfortable. Love how the door opened into the bathroom and then you had another door to the toilet and another door to the closet and another door to the shower. We couldn't hear anything from our neighboring rooms.
- we loved the quiet and chose the hotel based on that.
- we loved the pool loungers with padding and nice plentiful towels.
- My husband had a massage in the SPA and said it was really good.
- Room service breakfast food was excellent on the day we had to order for 6:30 AM because we had an excursion.
- Room service will also deliver you drinks at night if you desire them.
- One of the days in the afternoon by the pool, a Brazilian band play and I loved that!

Some small things can bother you if you choose to let them:
- yes, the outside of the buildings need some work, but I didn't really care
- the hot/cold knobs in the shower are really fiddlely and hard to find the right temperature and I heard other guests saying they had the same issues.
- the pool service was hit and miss. Seemed like they didn't have enough staff serving the pool/beach guests. It would often be hard to place an order, then could take ages for it to arrive and sometimes the ice was half melted by the time it arrived. And I was a good tipper! So it had to be for another reason. Some days the service was better than others and so that is why I think they just didn't have enough people.
- we could hear the music from the hotel next door, but it ended at 11 PM promptly each night so it didn't bother us.
- my concierge was a nice guy and I tipped him right on the first day hoping to get good service. The issue wasn't that he didn't want to help (cause he did), it was that he often didn't have the right information to help me - seemed like he wasn't trained well enough.
- And yes, reception is not that smiley, but they do help you resolve problems.

So here are some things I had to discover for myself, that I am going to write here as "tips":
- if your concierge has to make phone calls frequently to resolve your issues, just go straight up to reception. It will save time in the long run.
- you may not be able to book your dinners before you arrive. I flew WestJet vacations, and I tried to book my dinner reservations in advance, by email with the RH GM and they would only book the first night in advance. My concierge when I arrived didn't know why that would be and I ended up with a lot of 9 PM dinners. But reception helped me when I really wanted to move something.
- Pool loungers: at about 6:30 AM, the staff put towels on every seat so when you first arrive you may think the chairs are all taken. They are not. Only those with a personal item on them AS WELL as a towel are taken. I got up every day about 7:15 and I aways found two chairs. If you are not an early riser there are always chairs on the beach and it is lovely down there too.
- Thursday night show with Mexican talent was OK. Saturday night called "Hollywood" is totally missable.
- on weekends, breakfast is also served in Ventanas as a la carte and was GREAT!
- there is entertainment up at the main building in the evening so you can search it out if you want to - a great Reggae band played one night. Other guests said they enjoyed the night time bar in Ventanas, though we never went because it was inside.
- if you are given a SPA credit like we did from our airline company, make sure you know how it works first!!! I asked my concierge about it and he printed out the list of credits that added up to $300.00. We had $40 for the spa and my husband used it and it was fine. There was also one for $30 for wine. My husband doesn't drink wine so I asked the concierge if I could use it for single glasses. He thought so, but said to check at the restaurant. So I did. At the restaurant, they said they would check and then said I could use it, so I ordered a glass of wine. I did a pre-check out with reception the day before we left, and the wine was charged without the credit. After many phone calls and discussion, the reception finally said it was ok and credited it. I didn't really care about the money, it was the system that was annoying. So here is the TIP = make sure you know how the credit actually works and even if you think you have done due diligence, do a pre-check out the day before to avoid hassle at check out.

I would return to the RH, and I would recommend it to people who were looking for quiet and good food.
The one big thing I would love to see developed differently, would be the evening entertainment: it would really have changed the nights to have an area by the pool/beach where you could sit (without eating dinner) and sip a drink and listen to a guitar player, or something fitting the place, but allowed for a social gathering place that wasn't a restaurant or wasn't up at the lobby building.

Happy travels

Room Tip: I enjoyed our room in building 31 close to the pool and beach.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank soccertraveller2008
Itze P, Reputation Management at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Dear Soccertraveller2008,

Thank you for send us your review. We are sorry to hear that you did not feel your experience met your expectations on your recent stay at Royal Hideaway. While you did enjoy the location and the accommodation, it seems you experienced some opportunities to improve upon service. We really sorry to read about the lack of service you encountered during your stay; we share your experience with our Management to reinforce our welcome measures.

Should you choose to return, we look forward to the opportunity of making your next stay much better than the last.

Sincerely

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (914)
  • Polish first
montreal
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Everything was perfect! If you search a very quiet place for couple , this place is yours! Beach , food , service was perfect! The royal is close to playa del Carmen , and you have a small market Shop near to the hotel! But if you Liked watched some shows, forget it!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank patsygym
Itze P, Reputation Management at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear Patsygym,

We are very happy to hear that you had such a pleasant stay and that our staffing provided to you an excellent service during your stay. We are thrilled that you found your visit so enjoyable.

Until next time
Ontario, California
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Note: my rating is based on my overall experience.

Not being a first-timer to Mexico – we’ve favoured one particular resort – we thought we’d throw caution to the wind a try somewhere new. Somewhere that our friends have talked about for a long time; somewhere that they’ve been more than a dozen times; somewhere they couldn’t dream of ever changing for another resort.

Granted, the timing was wrong. Mother Nature did not bless us with fabulous weather the 5 days we spent here. Albeit horrible weather, not everything could be blamed on Mother Nature.

Our arrival was unremarkable. Our check-in was fine; although vague. Our room(s) request was sent in weeks prior and was specific – connecting rooms on the ground floor (there are no elevators at this resort), in their most quiet buildings (i.e. 25, 26 or 27). There are hotels surrounding this one that are very loud late into the evening.

My sister has a slight physical disability and I wanted to be able to be at a safe distance from her room, preferably through a connection. When I asked the check-in Concierge the whereabouts of our rooms, he vaguely, but politely said, yes the rooms are close together but wouldn’t tell me the Building number. I was hoping for the best and gave the entire situation the benefit of the doubt.

The grounds are lush and are truly spectacular. That’s where it ended …. for me. Being accustomed to an extremely modern and new resort where the rooms are luxurious and very spacious, it was rather a shock, to say the least, to see the small and dated room. No matter, I continued exploring.

We were first assigned a building (23, I think) spitting distance (no kidding) to another hotel with a wonderful view of the garbage bins. I immediately went to the concierge and asked that our rooms be changed. They were.

The balcony is odd; a very narrow length leading to and opening up to the very small patio. Nowhere to have a room service meal – the table on the patio is really a cocktail table; rusty as were the chairs that have dirty and stained seat cushions. I covered them with bath towels that remained on the chairs until we left, 5 days later. Never removed, never changed.

The bedroom is tiny by comparison to my “other” place, again nowhere to have a meal except perhaps on the desk or the bed. And I had to push in the doors on the entertainment unit at night because I would bump into them unless the doors were shut flat. Carry on …….

The bathroom, although adequate, had no hot water. I reported this to the concierge one morning and on returning to the room following breakfast, I was told that the matter had been “fixed” but that I would need to run the hot water tap for 5 or 6 minutes before hot water would flow. I ran the tap for 20 minutes … I swear. And then when I did shower, the water either scalded or went cold. Lousy water pressure and the hand held shower heads, don’t ask. I thought about a bath, but when I stood in the tub, I honestly thought the tub was going to go through the floor boards. Otherwise the bathroom was functional. Every day I showered in tepid water, quickly.

Breakfast buffet is small by comparison. The person at the omelet station those days wasn’t very good at making omelets. I’ll exaggerate a bit and say that my omelet on the one and only day I had one looked and felt like a bathmat – spongy, and tough. Not impressed with the breakfast buffet.

The major disaster: lunch! Day 2 or 3 (I forget) we walked into the Spices dining room for a sit down lunch. We were the only ones being escorted into the back section of the dining room. Another couple was soon seated after us; their order taken, their meal served up and they left before we even saw a glass of water. A debacle. After 20 minutes of waiting for a glass of water, followed by another 20 minutes of no less than 2 waiters taking our lunch order, we waited an additional 15 minutes (remember, we were the only ones eating from the menu, one fellow got a burger from the buffet). I stood up, so did my sister, and we walked out of the dining room. Long story short: the manager of this restaurant more than made up for the disaster his staff created and the day was saved.

Dinners were very good, most without events. We ate the first night at Las Ventanas which was very, very good; Palasso (Italian) was forgettable; Azia was outstanding. The last night we again ate at Las Ventanas, it was also forgettable.

The Head Concierge came by my room on day 3 to discuss a questionnaire that my sister completed and submitted on-line. My sister and my opinions were talked about and the Concierge appeared to make an effort to show caring and understanding. She offered to “see what she could do” to make up for the many disappointments and said she’d get back to us later. I told her we wanted nothing repeatedly. On the last full late afternoon of our stay (around 4:00 o’clock in the afternoon), the building concierge knocks on my door, saying that he had had a phone call from his boss saying that for all our disappointments the hotel was happy to offer us each a 25 minute massage at the Spa. Great! My sister calls the Spa to book something; they tell her that their computer is down and they don’t know their availability and to check again in the morning. Ha~! We were leaving at noon the next day. No answer in the morning at the Spa.

All in all, I was truly hoping to love this place, I really was. Except for the lovely lush landscaping everything else was almost a nightmare. Unfortunately, I will not be back.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank gidgetp
Dear Gidgetp,

On behalf of Royal Hideaway Staff, we may thank you for giving us your observations and valued feedback. We appreciate your kind words pertaining our rooms, food, beverages, and service at our Restaurants. We sincerely regret that we have not met your expectations so far, especially with service provided since your arrival. We have reviewed this with our Management.

Once again, we truly apologize for any bad impressions caused and we sincerely hope you give us a second chance to offer you memorable vacations.

Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed December 17, 2013

My wife and I went to RHP for our honeymoon and had an absolutely wonderful time. We arrived at an off-peak time and had no issues getting dinner reservations at our desired times, and never waited in line for anything.

I have a severe food allergy, and our personal concierge made sure that every server I had all week knew about this allergy, and indeed each server we had double-checked my menu selections with the kitchen before placing my orders. They even went so far as to create off-menu appetizers and meals for me to ensure I did not accidentally ingest anything I was allergic to. This gave me great peace of mind, despite a language barrier, that I would not have a severe reaction during my stay. The breakfast buffet was lovely, if repetitive, lunches were informal and offered decent variety, but the dinners were fantastic. The dinner menu at each restaurant is varied and delicious.

The pool area is a bit small, and indeed the chairs are often claimed early. We were at the pool area by 9AM and always found desirable spots to place our towels and books. The main pools were remarkably clean, as were the towels. The pool bar and lunch restaurant had a limited beer selection, but I never felt I wasn't getting what I wanted. Drinks were mixed to be strong, which is what we wanted! The pool servers were fantastic, coming around frequently and replacing drinks quickly.

The room itself was luxurious, very clean, and comfortable. We experienced torrential rain each night between 2 and 5 AM, and in the mornings the staff were out mopping the tile villa floors to ensure nobody slipped. The grounds were extremely tidy, and even had the RH logo stamped in the ash trays on top of the refuse bins.

Overall, the trip was truly exceptional and my wife and I both agree we will be returning to this resort.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms can experience slick floors after a rain, so have a towel handy by the door!

1 Thank laserrobottime
Dear laserrobottime,

Thank you for spending your honeymoon with us on Royal Hideaway. We are glad you found everything to be perfect for your stay and for your special occasions. We do hope to see you again in the near future.

Thank you also for your compliments for our staff. We will be sure to share your kind words with our team.

Many thanks,
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Being you are reading this review you must be considering where to stay in Playa. My girlfriend (hopefully in the future she will accept my proposal) and I stayed 6 nights November of 2013. I haven't stayed in Hawaii, she has and said "I'd be disappointed in Hawaii after staying at The Royal Hideaway." Since 1994 I've stayed in several hotels in Playa Del Carmen. After my 1st stay at the Royal Hideaway I've only stayed here as it is the best hotel in the Playacar area. There are probably newer resorts further south or closer to Cancun however I/we also enjoyed that Playacar is walking distance/quick access to the town where there's quaint shops, wonderful restaurants and vibrant atmosphere. When you enter the gates of the Royal Hideaway resort you are escorted by the bellman where you are seated and given a warm hand towel to wash your hands and shortly afterward a glass of champagne. Your host sets up your stay, the bell man meets you in your room; there's no waiting until 3:00 pm to check in, you're in. The rooms are elegantly appointed and the beds are lush and very comfortable. The hotel consists of several separate retreats (buildings) which have perhaps 8 - 10 rooms each; your every need is taken care of your by your personal concierge, each building has a concierge. The breakfast buffet is delicious as are the many restaurants (Spices dinner was so so) - all included. The service? You are treated like royalty! If you plan to relax on the beach but do not wish to lay in the sun all day, two lounge chairs together come with a "bikini" top that pulls over your chairs where you can view all yet be in the shade; my girlfriend loved this feature. BTW We didn't notice any hotel offering this. While on the beach the courteous staff will visit your "hut" and bring you food and or beverages while you relax. I would suggest you contact the hotel before your stay and request a room that does not face a hotel on either side of the Royal Hideaway. Also, if you can, book your first dinner before you arrive. Our hands down favorite was the Italian Restaurant (can't recall the name) the Oso Buco and the terra missou were delicious. If you enjoy wine I'd recommend purchasing a bottle. They do need to expand their offering of wines under $50.00 but a couple of the reds were good. The price quoted doesn't include tax. My girlfriend had a special request for dessert in our room, room service made her request happen. Again, the service is excellent!! I could go on but will end with sharing that there are many 5 star resorts around the world. When I compare hotels/B & B's/Vacation Rentals I compare in the local area and rate according to other similar properties in-the-area. To compare this hotel with a resort in Aspen CO. or Paris would illustrate a lack of travel experience and thus would provide you incorrect information. Does this hotel need care? If you lived on the beach and were "treated" to salt water 24/7 you'd need care. This resort does a good job keeping the outside of the buildings fresh regardless of the elements. The inside of your room, the main building and restaurants is impeccable!! Cheers!

Room Tip: Before your trip ask for a room that does not face an adjacent hotel.

3 Thank Paso Robles Vac... R
Dear Paso Robles Vac... R,

Thank you for send us your review, how wonderful to hear that you were treated like royalty during your visit at Royal Hideaway. It is really pleasing to hear that each and every member of staff were extremely helpful and polite. Our rooms are delightful and comfortable.

We do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back on a future visit and please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of assistance at any time.

Best regards
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed December 17, 2013

My husband and I had a wonderful trip to Mexico. Overall, this resort is a great value with excellent service. I am in agreement with the most recent reviews regarding condition of the rooms, long waits for breakfast, and problems with the concierge.
Our main problem was making reservations for dinner. If this is allowed, I would suggest calling the hotel before arriving to schedule reservations. The first night we had to do room service (which I expected). The next day it took hours to track down the concierge to make the reservations for the remainder of the week. All went fine until the last two nights. We arrived at the restaurant and were told the reservation was cancelled. After some discussion with the staff they were able to accommodate us with a seating. Also, there needs to be more options for vegetarians.
We took a taxi to Akumal Beach for snorkeling. You can swim out from the beach to the reef and see an abundance of turtles... Arrive early to avoid the crowds. No need to pay for a tour if you are comfortable with going on your own. Taxi cost is about $30 each way from the resort.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kimberly K
Dear Kimberly K,

We’re really pleased that you chose Royal Hideaway as a holiday destination, thank you for your preference. We pride ourselves on our consistent service efforts. Our convenient location and friendly staff are what makes our hotel stand out among the rest.

We regret if you encountered any frustration during your stay, but we hope this did not diminish your overall experience. Rest assured your experience will be addressed with our management to ensure that our guests will be guaranteed a memorable stay, for your next visit please feel free to contact us cservices@mx.occidentalhotels.com for further assistance including dinner reservations.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 17, 2013

First class service, excellent food, quiet adult only resort. The only weak link is the dinner shows. If we go back to the resort, would not waste time going to them. But that is a very minor complaint. The exercise rooms are not open 24 hours which was a little annoying for us but not a big deal either. We had an amazing time and would highly recommend the resort if you are looking for a romantic, quiet get away.

Dear Motherbearof3,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your most recent stay in Royal Hideaway.We delighted that you had a pleasant stay with us and glad that you were well looked after. We shared your comments with our team as this will encourage them to keep up the good work.

Until next time,