Royal Hideaway Playacar
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Hotel Riu Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
Allegro Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
  • Pool
Viva Wyndham Maya(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
Viva Wyndham Azteca(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
The Reef Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Riu Palace Mexico(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Riu Yucatan(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
ClubHotel Riu Tequila(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Riu Lupita(Playa del Carmen)
4,926 results
All reviewslas ventanasthe grilldinner reservationsallegria barvilla conciergespices restaurantclub royaledeck restaurantdinner theaterinfinity poolchef's tablewalk in closetother resortssax playerour honeymoonall inclusive resortquiet resort
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 7, 2013

My wife and I spent the the last week of October at the Royal Hideaway.We found it to be exactly as named, as we only left the resort for a couple of hours one afternoon. We were spoiled with the food. We tried all the restaurants Los Ventanas, and Azia were our favorites. We found the beach to be as nice as any we have ever been on. Wide white sand beautiful blue green water. There was an abundance of chairs at the pool and on the beach. always a place to sit down.The small spas and pools all around the property were wonderful. The beach beds were our favorite, what a way to pass a day away. Top shelf alcohol and a staff willing to make anything you wanted, all you had to do was ask. The Room Service was excellent and as requested, our room was always stocked with bottled water beer and sodas. Thank You RH for a relaxing week. We will definitely be back

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank WBrent
Itze P, Reputation Management at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Dear WBrent,

Thank you for the time you took to send us your review, it’s a pleasure to know we excited your expectations in every single way, Royal Hideaway is truly romantic and a beautiful resort, meant to celebrate and enjoy any occasion with a unique and special touch that you only have to live it to believe it, we thank you for sharing your comments and we look forward to another amazing experience.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

We have been to many so called 5* AI resorts in Mexico, Carribean and Europe and this one I would say equals the best we have been to. We went for total chill out after a busy period of our lives and that is exactly what we got. Even the odd noisy American didn't bother us. Seriously though 99% of the people at the resort were really nice. The Beach is to die for, the staff great and the food excellent. The evening entertainment could be improved a bit in that it was apparent that some of the bands were taking the mick out of the resorts management in their quality of performance and the time they actually played! Pre dinner drinks were lovely and a special thank you to Fanny who always served us with a smile. Thank you all for a lovely time....we are now chilled.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rayney_12

Dear Rayney_12,

Thank you so much for your comments, for visiting and giving us the opportunity to demonstrate that your decision to select Royal Hideaway was right on the mark, and that the value received was more than worth it. We are proud of our team of hardworking and friendly staff who does an excellent service. Your review shows that we are on the right path to achieve this goal.

Thank you for your lovely feedback which we have passed to each department and who really appreciate such lovely comments.

We hope you come back very soon.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

We stayed at RH at the beginning of October for 1 week . This was not enough time to explore this amazing resort .
I work in the travel industry therefore whilst working stay in some exclusive hotels.
I have to say I was extremely impressed with RH .
I took along my mum , who equally loved this place . The service from the staff was amazing , nothing was any trouble . They were so polite and always had a smile for everyone .
All of the restaurants are amazing , we loved the theatre and entertainment .
The beach is beautiful . Pools are kept immacutely clean . The gardens are well kept and very pretty . I cannot fault this place . As I do get quite spoilt staying in top hotels whilst at work , I generally have some complaint when on holiday . We could nt find one at RH .
We would return in a heartbeat . Thank you to all of your wonderful staff .

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank 11ClareH

Dear 11ClareH,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review on the site following your stay with us and we are thrilled to hear that we surpassed your expectations and that the greatest asset of the hotel is the staff., that means a lot to us, we must say thank you again for your amazing review even more you for the high recommendation. We are pleased to have had the opportunity to serve and host you. It’s fabulous to hear you really enjoyed your stay with us and that you mostly enjoyed the resort activities, the service, and facilities.

Thank you for choosing Royal Hideaway as a holiday destination we hope to welcome you back again very soon.

Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Royal Hideaway for 1 week in October 2013 and had the most amazing time.

I am from Hong Kong (currently living in Canada) and I have stayed at 5 star international chain resorts all over South East Asia including Shangri-la, Four Seasons, JW Marriott, Renaissance, Sheraton, Westin and The Venetian to name a few, and I believe this resort is up there with these international chains, and I cannot recommend this place enough.

The structure, design and architecture of the resort isn't the most modern looking. It has more of a 'Venetian' feel to it and makes you feel very relaxed and comfortable when walking through the resort. The grounds and facilities are very well maintained. There is a little rusting here and there on the building structures itself, but everything is very clean and I think it adds to the 'old Venetian' charm of the resort.

The pool area is absolutely gorgeous and very very very well maintained. Beautiful dark brown woven lounge chairs are line up around the pool, and they have an extra foam padding on top making it feel super comfortable to lie down on. Very peaceful and serene, guests are usually quiet and keep to themselves but are still very friendly. Everyone who comes here are just looking to relax and enjoy the sun and beautiful ocean view, not looking to party from morning till night. Guests are generally more mature here, usually honeymooners or couples celebrating anniversaries. You will see the difference in the quality in this resort by just taking a quick walk down the beach. Other resorts are noisy, crowded with plastic lounge chairs scattered everywhere. I also wanted to note on the cleanliness of the bathrooms by the pool. There are swimmers and scuba divers going in and out of the bathrooms all day, and the staff do a really good job wiping the floors. Even though I've seen numerous times scuba divers in the bathroom with their wetsuits dripping, I don't think I ever walked into the bathroom and saw a wet floor, which is great as it could be a slipping hazard.

The entertainment staff, Javier and Sergio, are great. They are by the pool area from 9am till about 4pm, with a variety of different poolside activities if you wish to join. They are super friendly and funny, and I had a good time joining a couple of their activities just laughing at their jokes and humorous comments. They do a good job trying to get everyone to join in on whatever activities they are hosting, but not in an annoying or pestering way. Also a big shout out to the pool side staff. They work extremely hard all day to make sure you always have a drink in hand.

They have bicycles by the pool that you can borrow at anytime. We took bicycles down to the town one afternoon to buy souvenirs.

I had two massages during my stay here (couldn't resist getting two!) and the masseuses were very good. The prices are comparable to what I would pay in Toronto.

Food here is amazing. We tried all restaurants and loved them all. I have lived in big metropolitan cities all my life and have been privileged to always have good food and Different cuisines available, and I can say this resorts does a really good job with their restaurants. Breakfast here is awesome. We sat out on the terrace everyday, and loved our server Isis. She is the sweetest lady and had already remembered our names and drink orders by our 2nd day. Breakfast is the only buffet option in the resort, and I thought the selection and taste of the foods were great. We also tried the high tea twice, which I thought was a great perk staying at this resort. How many all inclusive resorts offer high tea?! Overall the resort does not skimp on quantity or quality in their restaurants.

We also had a beautiful romantic dinner on the beach for my birthday, which is a definite must-do for special celebrations! They had a candle lit pathway leading up to our table and we had two servers to ourselves for the night. The food was cooked at the grill, we had steak and lobster as our main, and I've never had such a huge lobster in my life. The appetizer was breaded prawns and they were massive too.

Rooms were very spacious and clean. Morning and turn down service was great. Our rooms were refreshed every night when we got back from dinner. I really couldn't be happier with the service here.

The staff here are extremely courteous and really do all they can to make sure you are happy. From the front desk staff, the bellman, our concierge, the wait staff in all the restaurants and pool, the cleaning maids, everyone was great.

I realize that this is a repeat of a lot things other guests has said in the past, but this place is truly amazing and I would say all this 10 times over if I needed to! I would come back here in a heartbeat, so if you're thinking of booking this place for your holiday, don't think anymore, just book it!!!!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank sab103

Dear Sab103,

Thank you for send us such a detail review. It was our great pleasure taking care of you on your recent stay with us at Royal Hideaway. And we are so pleased that it was a memorable one for you. We want you to feel spoiled and we are glad that we did.

We are proud that you felt welcomed like family and that your every needs were attended to for the entire stay and that you have never experienced the level of personal service anywhere else. It is a great reward to receive such positive feedback and we are truly grateful.

We hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

We have been back a week since our 7 night stay at RH and wanted to reflect on the experience before posting a review. So much of what they do at RH is first class but there are some serious weaknesses which do not warrant 5 stars in our book. It is a 15 year old resort and the infrastructure is starting to show its age in certain parts particularly the bathrooms and balconies.

Did we have a good time? - Yes.
Did it live up to our expectations? - No.
Were our expectations too high? -Possibly.

We are an English couple living in the US so have experienced top class hotels, service and food on both sides of the pond. This was our first visit to Mexico. We have not experienced all inclusive before and thought long and hard and researched extensively before trying it. From what I read and hear this is probably as good as it gets. Some of the food was excellent, some good and some very ordinary. We enjoyed Azia but the second time the tempura was undercooked. Las Ventanas was quite chic but did not live up to the hype and the food was only average. My tenderloin steak was anything but. Palazzo was good, had a nice atmosphere, and probably the best food we had all week. The Grill was OK. The Deck at lunchtime was good with a varied choice and tasty food. But I am afraid overall not the world class fine dining that has been described. The house wine was acceptable with the same choices across all of the restaurants. Certainly good enough not to have to go " off piste" with the very highly marked up wine list on offer.

The Allegria bar is a disappointment. It is OK for sitting outside when the weather permits for pre or post dinner drinks but inside it is gloomy and the music is far too loud. Not sure how many guests would enjoy AC/DC and Def Leppard played at quite a high volume before dinner!

We experienced a noisy and objectionable group of obviously drunk guests one evening which necessitated us leaving the restaurant before dessert. We complained on the way out but heard no more about how it been dealt with if indeed it had.

The piano bar is another matter. It is attached to Las Ventanas so it is not immediately obvious that it is there. Once we discovered it after a couple of days we used it a lot for pre and post dinner drinks and it was very nice although hardly anyone was in there. Perhaps it needs to be promoted a bit more strongly.

The theatre is quite impressive but unfortunately the entertainment was not. We went to the Sat night Elvis show which, unless it was supposed to be tongue in cheek, was unfortunately quite laughable. I cannot believe that the hotel is not able to source and recruit top class local musicians for this venue. The show was (luckily) only 90 mins long and was sort of fun but not 5 star entertainment by any stretch of the imagination. The food served during the show was probably the worst of the week. The tenderloin was again over cooked and tough and the lobster tail dry.

The rooms are very nice. Certainly clean and the bed was very comfortable. The bathrooms as others have said are showing signs of age. The arrangement of rooms round a central courtyard is not the best. The sound of closing doors early in the morning and late at night is annoying and obtrusive.

One rainy day we ordered coffee in the main building lounge and it was served in paper cups! That I am afraid is unacceptable in a hotel which advertises itself as 5 star.

So, the good bits! As everyone has said, the staff are great and one of its main assets. The service was consistently excellent. The main building and foyer and lounges are very impressive and well kept. The grounds are lovely and obviously continually well maintained and enhanced. I disagree about the negative comments re the pools and little waterways throughout the grounds. They are supposed to emulate natural rivers and pools and the brown colours look better than say blue painted areas. The water was certainly clean and algae free when we were there.

The swimming pools are excellent with some smaller pools within the grounds for more seclusion and privacy if you want it.
The beach is fantastic and there are plenty of sunbeds and shade.

So yes, we had a very nice time. Would we go again? Probably not. But to be honest we probably wouldn't go all inclusive again. We got a good deal and felt on reflection it was reasonable value for money.

It seems to me that most people only write reviews when they have had either a really good or bad experience. The majority of people who have had just an acceptable experience probably don't bother and I was tempted to do just that. I have tried to be objective and constructive. It is a very nice hotel in a great location and with a few changes, some small, some more major, could easily be a top class resort hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013
6  Thank chris w
Itze P, Reputation Management at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Dear Chris W,

Thank you for your review, we appreciate the time you took ton send it, as we read you were able to enjoy many of the services that we provide and along with the help of our staff we think we made this memorable vacation for all. Thank you for give us the privilege to be your first time in an all-inclusive resort.

On behalf of the team here, we do hope that you will visit us again so that we can exceed your expectations. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we will keep your comments and suggestions for service and amenities in mind as we look towards future improvements to our guests' experience.

We hope you will give us another opportunity to host you again and offer you a better serve.