“Amazing resort”

Royal Hideaway Playacar
Ranked #34 of 216 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We stayed at RH at the beginning of October for 1 week . This was not enough time to explore this amazing resort .
I work in the travel industry therefore whilst working stay in some exclusive hotels.
I have to say I was extremely impressed with RH .
I took along my mum , who equally loved this place . The service from the staff was amazing , nothing was any trouble . They were so polite and always had a smile for everyone .
All of the restaurants are amazing , we loved the theatre and entertainment .
The beach is beautiful . Pools are kept immacutely clean . The gardens are well kept and very pretty . I cannot fault this place . As I do get quite spoilt staying in top hotels whilst at work , I generally have some complaint when on holiday . We could nt find one at RH .
We would return in a heartbeat . Thank you to all of your wonderful staff .

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank 11ClareH
Itze P, Reputation Management at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Dear 11ClareH,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review on the site following your stay with us and we are thrilled to hear that we surpassed your expectations and that the greatest asset of the hotel is the staff., that means a lot to us, we must say thank you again for your amazing review even more you for the high recommendation. We are pleased to have had the opportunity to serve and host you. It’s fabulous to hear you really enjoyed your stay with us and that you mostly enjoyed the resort activities, the service, and facilities.

Thank you for choosing Royal Hideaway as a holiday destination we hope to welcome you back again very soon.

Sincerely

Write a ReviewReviews (4,622)

Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Royal Hideaway for 1 week in October 2013 and had the most amazing time.

I am from Hong Kong (currently living in Canada) and I have stayed at 5 star international chain resorts all over South East Asia including Shangri-la, Four Seasons, JW Marriott, Renaissance, Sheraton, Westin and The Venetian to name a few, and I believe this resort is up there with these international chains, and I cannot recommend this place enough.

The structure, design and architecture of the resort isn't the most modern looking. It has more of a 'Venetian' feel to it and makes you feel very relaxed and comfortable when walking through the resort. The grounds and facilities are very well maintained. There is a little rusting here and there on the building structures itself, but everything is very clean and I think it adds to the 'old Venetian' charm of the resort.

The pool area is absolutely gorgeous and very very very well maintained. Beautiful dark brown woven lounge chairs are line up around the pool, and they have an extra foam padding on top making it feel super comfortable to lie down on. Very peaceful and serene, guests are usually quiet and keep to themselves but are still very friendly. Everyone who comes here are just looking to relax and enjoy the sun and beautiful ocean view, not looking to party from morning till night. Guests are generally more mature here, usually honeymooners or couples celebrating anniversaries. You will see the difference in the quality in this resort by just taking a quick walk down the beach. Other resorts are noisy, crowded with plastic lounge chairs scattered everywhere. I also wanted to note on the cleanliness of the bathrooms by the pool. There are swimmers and scuba divers going in and out of the bathrooms all day, and the staff do a really good job wiping the floors. Even though I've seen numerous times scuba divers in the bathroom with their wetsuits dripping, I don't think I ever walked into the bathroom and saw a wet floor, which is great as it could be a slipping hazard.

The entertainment staff, Javier and Sergio, are great. They are by the pool area from 9am till about 4pm, with a variety of different poolside activities if you wish to join. They are super friendly and funny, and I had a good time joining a couple of their activities just laughing at their jokes and humorous comments. They do a good job trying to get everyone to join in on whatever activities they are hosting, but not in an annoying or pestering way. Also a big shout out to the pool side staff. They work extremely hard all day to make sure you always have a drink in hand.

They have bicycles by the pool that you can borrow at anytime. We took bicycles down to the town one afternoon to buy souvenirs.

I had two massages during my stay here (couldn't resist getting two!) and the masseuses were very good. The prices are comparable to what I would pay in Toronto.

Food here is amazing. We tried all restaurants and loved them all. I have lived in big metropolitan cities all my life and have been privileged to always have good food and Different cuisines available, and I can say this resorts does a really good job with their restaurants. Breakfast here is awesome. We sat out on the terrace everyday, and loved our server Isis. She is the sweetest lady and had already remembered our names and drink orders by our 2nd day. Breakfast is the only buffet option in the resort, and I thought the selection and taste of the foods were great. We also tried the high tea twice, which I thought was a great perk staying at this resort. How many all inclusive resorts offer high tea?! Overall the resort does not skimp on quantity or quality in their restaurants.

We also had a beautiful romantic dinner on the beach for my birthday, which is a definite must-do for special celebrations! They had a candle lit pathway leading up to our table and we had two servers to ourselves for the night. The food was cooked at the grill, we had steak and lobster as our main, and I've never had such a huge lobster in my life. The appetizer was breaded prawns and they were massive too.

Rooms were very spacious and clean. Morning and turn down service was great. Our rooms were refreshed every night when we got back from dinner. I really couldn't be happier with the service here.

The staff here are extremely courteous and really do all they can to make sure you are happy. From the front desk staff, the bellman, our concierge, the wait staff in all the restaurants and pool, the cleaning maids, everyone was great.

I realize that this is a repeat of a lot things other guests has said in the past, but this place is truly amazing and I would say all this 10 times over if I needed to! I would come back here in a heartbeat, so if you're thinking of booking this place for your holiday, don't think anymore, just book it!!!!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank sab103

Dear Sab103,

Thank you for send us such a detail review. It was our great pleasure taking care of you on your recent stay with us at Royal Hideaway. And we are so pleased that it was a memorable one for you. We want you to feel spoiled and we are glad that we did.

We are proud that you felt welcomed like family and that your every needs were attended to for the entire stay and that you have never experienced the level of personal service anywhere else. It is a great reward to receive such positive feedback and we are truly grateful.

We hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

We have been back a week since our 7 night stay at RH and wanted to reflect on the experience before posting a review. So much of what they do at RH is first class but there are some serious weaknesses which do not warrant 5 stars in our book. It is a 15 year old resort and the infrastructure is starting to show its age in certain parts particularly the bathrooms and balconies.

Did we have a good time? - Yes.
Did it live up to our expectations? - No.
Were our expectations too high? -Possibly.

We are an English couple living in the US so have experienced top class hotels, service and food on both sides of the pond. This was our first visit to Mexico. We have not experienced all inclusive before and thought long and hard and researched extensively before trying it. From what I read and hear this is probably as good as it gets. Some of the food was excellent, some good and some very ordinary. We enjoyed Azia but the second time the tempura was undercooked. Las Ventanas was quite chic but did not live up to the hype and the food was only average. My tenderloin steak was anything but. Palazzo was good, had a nice atmosphere, and probably the best food we had all week. The Grill was OK. The Deck at lunchtime was good with a varied choice and tasty food. But I am afraid overall not the world class fine dining that has been described. The house wine was acceptable with the same choices across all of the restaurants. Certainly good enough not to have to go " off piste" with the very highly marked up wine list on offer.

The Allegria bar is a disappointment. It is OK for sitting outside when the weather permits for pre or post dinner drinks but inside it is gloomy and the music is far too loud. Not sure how many guests would enjoy AC/DC and Def Leppard played at quite a high volume before dinner!

We experienced a noisy and objectionable group of obviously drunk guests one evening which necessitated us leaving the restaurant before dessert. We complained on the way out but heard no more about how it been dealt with if indeed it had.

The piano bar is another matter. It is attached to Las Ventanas so it is not immediately obvious that it is there. Once we discovered it after a couple of days we used it a lot for pre and post dinner drinks and it was very nice although hardly anyone was in there. Perhaps it needs to be promoted a bit more strongly.

The theatre is quite impressive but unfortunately the entertainment was not. We went to the Sat night Elvis show which, unless it was supposed to be tongue in cheek, was unfortunately quite laughable. I cannot believe that the hotel is not able to source and recruit top class local musicians for this venue. The show was (luckily) only 90 mins long and was sort of fun but not 5 star entertainment by any stretch of the imagination. The food served during the show was probably the worst of the week. The tenderloin was again over cooked and tough and the lobster tail dry.

The rooms are very nice. Certainly clean and the bed was very comfortable. The bathrooms as others have said are showing signs of age. The arrangement of rooms round a central courtyard is not the best. The sound of closing doors early in the morning and late at night is annoying and obtrusive.

One rainy day we ordered coffee in the main building lounge and it was served in paper cups! That I am afraid is unacceptable in a hotel which advertises itself as 5 star.

So, the good bits! As everyone has said, the staff are great and one of its main assets. The service was consistently excellent. The main building and foyer and lounges are very impressive and well kept. The grounds are lovely and obviously continually well maintained and enhanced. I disagree about the negative comments re the pools and little waterways throughout the grounds. They are supposed to emulate natural rivers and pools and the brown colours look better than say blue painted areas. The water was certainly clean and algae free when we were there.

The swimming pools are excellent with some smaller pools within the grounds for more seclusion and privacy if you want it.
The beach is fantastic and there are plenty of sunbeds and shade.

So yes, we had a very nice time. Would we go again? Probably not. But to be honest we probably wouldn't go all inclusive again. We got a good deal and felt on reflection it was reasonable value for money.

It seems to me that most people only write reviews when they have had either a really good or bad experience. The majority of people who have had just an acceptable experience probably don't bother and I was tempted to do just that. I have tried to be objective and constructive. It is a very nice hotel in a great location and with a few changes, some small, some more major, could easily be a top class resort hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013
6  Thank chris w
Itze P, Reputation Management at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Dear Chris W,

Thank you for your review, we appreciate the time you took ton send it, as we read you were able to enjoy many of the services that we provide and along with the help of our staff we think we made this memorable vacation for all. Thank you for give us the privilege to be your first time in an all-inclusive resort.

On behalf of the team here, we do hope that you will visit us again so that we can exceed your expectations. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we will keep your comments and suggestions for service and amenities in mind as we look towards future improvements to our guests' experience.

We hope you will give us another opportunity to host you again and offer you a better serve.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

We have just returned from a quick 5 night stay at the Royal Hideaway and still feel that it is worth every penny. As others have said, the property is showing its age, but that still doesn't detract from the charm and the overall atmosphere of the resort. RH is still the best at what it does - provide a luxurious, relaxing, and intimate vacation experience with top service and outstanding food.
The service is the best I have experienced anywhere, from the building concierges to the servers at the pool and beach. I'd like to thank our concierge, Susanna, for all her help with arranging our transfers, settling our room assignment, and making sure my husband had a cake and balloons in our room for his birthday. Adrian at Las Ventanas is courteous and friendly, and we love Luis, whether at Ventanas, Spices, or Azia, where we first met him. We always enjoy chatting with Fanny at the Allegria Bar while having a cocktail before dinner. At the Deck, Spices, and the Grille, Laura, Cesar, and Christian are always welcoming and smiling, and Luis and Miguel around the pool are quick to refill an empty glass. Speaking of glasses - the resort has top shelf liquors which they will provide upon request. We started each day with Absolut bloody caesars and had Grey Goose martinis with dinner. Also, unlike previous resorts in which we have stayed, the juices were fresh and not powdered.
Aside from the outstanding service, the main area in which the Royal Hideaway shines is the food. We compared notes with many guests on other resorts. Many said others were more opulent, newer, more active, etc., but invariably, everyone said the food wasn't anywhere near as good elsewhere. We agree. Every meal we had was outstanding, from a simple steak at the Grille to the nouvelle cuisine at Las Ventanas. The highlight of our stay was dinner at the Chef's table, an experience that is more than just dining. The chef's table is set in a beautiful alcove off the kitchen with a glass wall allowing diners to view the preparation of the meal and also to view it close up on closed circuit cameras. We chose the 6 course meal, served with three wines, and weren't disappointed. Each course was carefully prepared and presented by Chef Villafana who would discuss the preparation techniques and ingredients, most of which were local. He is passionate in his commitment to not only good food, but supporting the local economy and advancing knowledge of the cuisine of the Yucatan, and this passion and commitment are reflected in his food. Each course was visually stunning and presented a complex mix of tastes and textures, all of which amounted to the perfect bites. This meal was truly the equivalent of any I've eaten in a fine Boston or New York restaurant. If you are a foodie, take advantage of this outstanding experience when at RH; you won't be sorry.
The beach is stunning, with soft white sand and crystal water. We enjoy the infinity pool, where we can sit by the pool and still be right on the beach. There are also little relaxation pools dotting the property which provide a wonderful place for a quiet glass of wine at the end of the afternoon.
All in all, the Royal Hideaway is, for us, the ultimate vacation spot with its warm and welcoming staff, its beautiful beach and grounds, and its outstanding food. We are already planning our next stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kathy61950

Dear Kathy61950,

Thank you for staying at Royal Hideaway on your recent trip to México and based on the reviews you read on the site. We are pleased that you were not disappointed and that you felt it was one of the best hotels that you ever stayed. Also we are so delighted that you felt like a special guest as our guests are very special to us and we want them to have a warm, welcoming and wonderful stay.

We are pleased that you found our accommodation and hospitality to your agreement. Our main priority is the guest satisfaction.

We are looking forward to welcome you again.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

This has been our best vacation ever! Five days in paradise, with pristine beaches, white sand, gourmet food, and just 45 min from the most beautiful Mayan ruins in Tulum. But above all, the treatment everyone receives from the staff is really royal. They are not regular staff, they soon become your friends and express real and sincere concerns if something is not right. We have never felt so pampered. And what about the food? Suffice it to say that each of the 5 restaurants deserves a Michelin star. This place is ideal for couples, newly weds and people celebrating their anniversary. Everything inspires love and romance. We can't wait to go back.
Finally, we would like to express our special gratitude to Hector, our concierge at Las Amapolas, as well as Ramon and Cesar at the Spices restaurant.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ccepeda6969

Dear Ccepeda6969,

Thank you for send us your review. We are very happy to hear that you had such a pleasant stay and that our staffing provided to you an excellent service during your stay. We are thrilled that you found your visit so enjoyable.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

My husband and I spent 5 nights at Royal Hideway. The location is wonderful. Beach is fabulous. Cristal clear water, white sand. Comfortable chairs( and plenty of them) and canapés. Food was delicious( we loved all of the restaurants), drinks were amazing( try Tokio at Japanese restaurant and coconut margarita at Spices), service was outstanding. You treated like a celebrity there. Everyone made us feel like we were the only guests. Our concierge( every building has one) met with us upon our arrival, she helped us to make reservations for all the restaurants and told us about all attractions in the area. This place is small and quiet, so it is perfect if you need to just relax. But if you get tired of soaking in the sun and doing nothing, there is plenty of staff in the area to keep you busy. We took scuba diving lessons( at the hotel) and went scuba diving that same afternoon. Also our concierge planned a trip for us to Chichen Itza one day. She also helped us to buy express passes to Coco Bongo for one of the nights we were there, and tickets to Xplor( very cool park were we went zip lining, underground kayaking, amphibia riding,etc.). For all these events buses picked us up straight from the hotel and brought us back later. We would definitely like to go back to this place and would highly recommend this resort to everyone.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Alena R

Dear Alena R,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review on the site following your recent stay at Royal Hideaway and we are thrilled that you felt it is the perfect place to stay. It is our home away from home and we are very proud of it. It is so pleasing to read that the service was extraordinary and that we made sure that all your needs were met and your vacation was joyful throughout. We have passed you kind words to all the team who really do appreciate it.

Thank you again for your kind comments we hope to welcome you back again one day.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

We live in Michigan and visited the Royal for our 25th wedding anniversary. It was fantastic! The staff are the best in the business and they make you feel special. It was not over crowded and the food was top notch. We will absolutely return and would highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wvu500

Dear Wvu500,

Congratulations for your Anniversary!

Thank you for choosing us to celebrate such an important date with us even more for sends us your kind review. We are more than happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found everything outstanding.

We hope you will have additional opportunities to visit in the near future as we would look forward to welcoming you back at Royal Hideaway.

We wish you all the best and hope that you will celebrate other important dates.