“This is now my go-to vacation spot”

Royal Hideaway Playacar
Ranked #34 of 217 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I'm very surprised how amazing my week at Royal Hideaway Playacar was. Honestly, I think the only complaint I have was that we got sunburned the first day and had to spend the next 3 days under one of the cabanas. Which was still an awesome experience.

The staff go out of their way to make sure you are taken care of. Everyone from the bar, poolside, and especially restaurant staff are very friendly and helpful. Love all the activities throughout the day.

Although you can hear the boom boom of music from hotels on either side at night, it reminds you how quiet and peaceful this hotel is as instead of outdoor night clubs they offer outdoor live music and enjoyable patio dining.

The food is 5 star in my opinion as we enjoyed a variety of cultures and a wide-range of dishes we wouldn't normally be able to afford or even find.

I would say the best part is that this is a very small resort, without screaming children and teenagers looking to have a wild spring break. Literally, it's the smallest hotel resort on the beach. You can easily recognize folks and even get to know people if you're so inclined.

I'm definitely planning another vacation here in the near future.

Room Tip: There are a number of buildings closer up to the main resort building. Ask for a building down towar...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Lee A
RoyalHideaway1, Social Media Coordinator at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2013

Dear Lee A,

We appreciate your kind comment, thank you for send us your review. We are really happy to read your recent stay was wonderful. We hope you come back very soon. For us is always a pleasure host a returning guest. Our entire team is expert to make dreams come true.

Thank you again.

Sincerely

Write a ReviewReviews (4,715)

Reviewed August 29, 2013

In a nutshell - the grounds are beautiful, all-inclusive, the food is great, the service is fantastic, everyone is hands on, quality rooms, beach is GORGEOUS, plenty of pools and plenty of space.

We didn't have a worry in the world. It was hard to leave the grounds and explore because we were so spoiled.

I highly recommend renting a vehicle, there is an AVIS within walking distance and your personal concierge can make the reservation for you (just give them two days notice) - then it's a straight shot to Tulum where we swam in the Grand Cenote (fresh water caves) which was very romantic and peacful and beautiful. We then drove 5 minutes to the beaches of Tulum and ended our visit with the sites of the Ruins. It was gorgeous.

I highly recommend this hotel. We got a fantastic deal 40% off!! They ran it during the Summer months - we went mid July and the weather was perfect; it rained one day but it was quite beautiful and didn't spoil our trip one bit.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kat M

Dear Kat M,

Thank you for send us your review. We are glad that you enjoyed the beauty of our property and the friendly service provided by our staffing.

We hope you come back very again, please remember that when you return to Royal Hideaway you are coming back to friends.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

For an all inclusive, has a great food, the beach is amazing, the service and rooms are excelent! Its an only adults hotel. Its located in Playacar, which makes it more exclusive and not crowded. For those prefering the crowds of Playa Mamitas and 5a Avenida, this is NOT the hotel/area for you.

Dear TRAVMX,

Thank you for your review, we appreciate the time you took ton send it, as we read you were able to enjoy many of the services and activities that we provide and along with the help of our staff I think we made this memorable vacation for all. Your words bring us a real honor and a personal satisfaction that we are truly providing that extra touch.

We hope you come back very soon.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Having travelled to many 5 star destinations, ‘All-Inclusive’ has always denoted negative connotations to us. Not anymore. My wife and I tried Zoetry Paraiso last year. Very very good. This hotel, however, is the REAL DEAL and an AI, too!!

It’s about an hour private transfer drive from the airport (we shopped this online and took ESL at more than 1/2 the price of others and it was reliable, from RT$340, we paid RT$100!! ).

Once there, the view is spectacular. The website shows real pictures, trust me, much more beautiful in person. My wife and I have never seen more beautiful aqua blue water and white sand beaches. We walked the beach toward the center of Playa. Don’t be fooled. The beach is not as nice up there. This is a special spot.

Two large infinity pools have a breathtaking view of the ocean with Cozumel in the background. A few of the restaurants (breakfast and lunch, some dinner) are with ocean front view and both indoor and outdoor dining. The premium (‘formal’) restaurants, Pallazo (Italian), Las Ventanas (ecclectic), Azia (Japanese/Thai), and The Royal Club (a miss-a-ble dinner club show held on Thursday or Saturdays) are all up in the main building (near the entrance and front desk). It is a 5 minute walk from the main building to the beach. That’s the whole resort with 8-10 lodging buildings with 2 floors of 16 rooms.

The main building houses the front desk, some shops and restaurants, dinner club, and the small but comfortable SPA. In the spa, each gender locker room has lockers, showers and separate steam and sauna. Small but very comfortable. There is a comfortable outdoor pool and 2 small rooms with some aerobic machines (5 treadmills, 2 bikes), some free weights and weight machines. If there is any area ‘lacking’ in the hotel it might be that they could beef up this area. However, it is quite comfortable. Water, drinks, teas, etc. available.

My wife and daughter had wonderful massages (not included, but everything else described is).

ROOM: We had room 2417. We paid for ‘ocean view’ and it was just that. First floor, building 24 (room 2418 has a similar view). Easy access to the pool, ocean, breakfast and lunch restaurants. Beautiful, beautiful view. Buildings 24 and 27 are the best for ocean view, but it seems the former is the best.

The room was nicely appointed, but a bit small. Listed at about 600 sq. ft., most of the room was taken up by the king bed and one wooden frame comfortable chair and desk. The bathroom was pretty with walk-in closet, WC, and two sink vanity. Not much room for toiletry storage, but very ample for everything else. Stall rain head shower, single person jet tub (kind of old and uninviting). The patio was about 90-100 square feet, two cushion chairs (not lounges) and a small table. Good for room service and cocktails. I have seen nicer, larger rooms, but these were ample. Minibar had soft drinks and water restocked daily.

The room was made up in the morning. Turndown service as well. With the latter, the maid did things like clean the hair out of my daughters brush (looked new!), etc. Thorough and efficient.

We did have the usual minute ants from time to time. There’s nothing you can do about that in this climate.

FOOD: In a word, it was way beyond our expectations. Being a food snob, it was here RHP excelled. In the morning, the Spices Restaurant buffet breakfast had whatever you wanted. Abundant sliced fruit, local hot offerings, omelette and egg made to order, breads, etc. Fresh squeezed juices, smoothies, protein drinks, whatever you like.

At lunch, The Deck (near the pool) had a vast menu (you could not tire of it) all done well. Spices also served a nicer level of Mexican lunch upstairs. Excellent, both of them. Great views, just perfect.

At dinner, we ate at Pallazo, Azia, Las Ventanas and all were, for an AI, spectacular. High quality, very good, caring service, solid meals with great creativity, taste and presentation. The Grille was also very good, but not on the level of the former three.

We did have issues with reservations. Our building concierge tried to sort it out, but we had pre-arranged a week in advance only to find that the reservations were not upheld. Truly disappointing and it needs to be remedied.

Aside from a couple of ‘average’ shellfish dishes, everything else, including desserts, was unique and special. Bravo!!!!

DRINKS: All high premium alcohol, and no holds barred. Bottled higher level wine extra.

POOLS and OCEAN: Does it get any better than this? Gorgeous clean white sand and aqua water. Infinity pools. Hot tubs. Pretty good (not always there) pool bar service, but there is a bar twenty paces away. We have been to hotels where a cabana person sets your chairs up in the AM, not here. They give you the towels and it’s up to you. We had no trouble finding chairs. But, generally, the service in every other aspect of the hotel is excellent, warm, caring.

I play golf. The logical choice is the Playa golf course, less than 1000 yards to the right of the main entrance. Good golf course. Pricey at $200 down to twilight $120 per round.

FINAL WORDS: Many of the people we met were repeat customers. It says a lot that one couple had been there 47 times!. Others we talked to came annually, more or less. We will be back, too. The pool area has some communal activities. People talk to each other most days, too. This is a hotel to go to to relax, it is not about activities here, though they give it a good and necessary try.

Also, we travelled with our mature 16 year old daughter. There were only a few families with older teen children. They all seemed to enjoy as our daughter did (immensely) and were quite well behaved.

Internet is in room (they give you a code) and available by the pool and many parts of the hotel. It is free, wifi, but not very strong. Going to a multi-page site is a challenge. Emails are fine.

Room service food was not as good as the restaurants. Be careful to get the food/drink out of the room ASAP or the insects will arrive.

This place outclasses so many of the hotels that consider themselves at this level. This is the REAL DEAL.

Room Tip: Ocean view would be building 24 or 27. 2417 was first floor, but nice view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank M2012K

Dear M2012K,

We took a special moment to say thank you for your recent stay. Your review very detail the high quality of service we provided every day.

Thank you for your preference. This is your home away from home.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

My wife and I with our 2 teenage kids had a wonderful time. We really had fun bringing our Kids here just before school started and they are still talking about RH. It was very pleasant and the food was Amazing and the staff did a Super job. Our Kids really enjoyed playing Golf and watching the iguanas running around the fairways. We go to Cancun/ Playa del Carmen at least 2-3 times a year and it makes it nice when you live close ( Houston Tx). We love staying at nice resorts Le Blanc, Banyan Tree, Secrets Vine, Saphire, Excellence, Playacar Palace etc and we will continue travel here because it has the best Beaches!! You can't go wrong at Royal Hideaway!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Brett Y
RoyalHideaway1, Social Media Coordinator at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Dear Ybarrahouston,

We are more than glad to read your review, thank you for choosing us for your last vacations. Our priority is the guest satisfaction.

We hope you come back very soon.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

This was our first visit to Mexico and I feel like we picked an amazing place to stay. The beach is absolutely gorgeous. It was very clean, white sand and baby blue water. Plenty of beach chairs were available and wait staff will cater to you. I enjoyed most of the food and the water and produce are completely safe. Top shelf liquor and all the Coronas you want. The OJ at breakfast was freshly squeezed each morning and it was awesome and I don't even like OJ that much. The service is great! You can truly feel that the employees want you to have a wonderful time. We did a short stay 3 nights/4 days and I wish we would of added at least one more night in. We did not leave the resort, we were there for quiet time and relaxation and it was the perfect location. I only gave 4 stars because the resort is 15 years old and you can see evidence of her age in many places however it is very clean and we saw employees working and cleaning continuosly. You do need to make a dining reservation each night for dinner otherwise your only other option is room service. We did not do this are first night and so we ate in our room.

We did visit the spa and I would highly recommend it. I had a massage by Juan and it was great! Probably one of the best massages I have had and I never turn down a trip to the spa. I also had my hair done by Monique and she did a very good job. Actually on our last day there while I was at the spa I told my husband to confirm our transfer back to the airport and he later told me he had trouble calling out so he went to the front and Israel took care of confirming everything and scheduling our luggage for pick up the next morning, I honestly can't say enough good things about the service and the kindness of the employees. We hope to return again next year! Thank you Royal Hideaway!

1  Thank SoldbyCindy
RoyalHideaway1, Social Media Coordinator at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Dear SoldbyCindy,

Thank you for your review, you are right. The beauty of Playa del Carmen beach is stunning.

Our priority is go beyond our guest’s expectations and we are so glad to see that this was your case.

Thank you again and we hope to have you back very soon!

Regards

Reviewed August 22, 2013

This place is the epitome of opulence and class. It does not miss a beat...Many times I have traveled to excellent resorts but the staff and customer service is always lacking...I think what makes Royal Hideaway the cream of the crop is the genuine kindness and desire to meet our needs given by the staff. One young man in particular Pool Concierge #6730 Javier Calzada went far and beyond the call of duty to help us with our needs.. He was patient to give us instruction and map out our bicycle trip. Never got frustrated... The serving staff and chef of The Grill facilitated a magical dinner for my wedding proposal. I cant say enough about this place. I will return time and time again..Thank you royal hideaway

4  Thank Ivannia W
RoyalHideaway1, Social Media Coordiantor at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2013

Dear Ivannia W,

We are proud to know that your experience was great with us. The guests satisfaction is one of our most important priorities. We are specialized in make wonderfull stays.

Thank you for choosing us for your vacations. We hope to host you again very soon.