I have stayed at over a dozen other resorts and was very excited to finally have the opportunity to stay at a 5 Diamond Resort. This is our first visit to the Royal Hideaway Playacar, and generally it was great. The entrance as you drive up is very impressive, and the friendly bell boy who graciously escorts you personally over to the lion claw high top check out area is more than impressive. The lobby is stunning and exquisite simply said. You felt very welcomed and the ambience made you feel very privileged.
The rooms were okay and comparable to other 5 star resorts, however they are in need of some obvious maintenance. The bathroom light was falling off and had wires showing, the wallpaper in the toilet room was peeling and bubbled, there was rust showing throughout in multiple areas on the balcony. We liked the individual halogen lights above the head of each bed for reading and all of the lights in the room had dimmers. Turndown service was always done neatly and professionally and on time. Housekeeping was average, the never did anything to show appreciation for your tip. I don't tip for this reason, however it was just odd to not even see one fresh picked flower or a towel animal. The mattresses and linens were excellent. We ordered room service twice and one time it took 35 minutes and they other I had to call and check on it and it took over 45 minutes.
The grounds are beautiful and a joy to walk around and view. At night it is a gift to be in such a place with the beautiful night lighting and water fountains to enjoy.
This resort has the best beach I have seen. It is so large that you can find your very own space and oasis and not be cramped at all. They have butler service on the beach and we appreciated the flag system when you wanted something. It was a great way to show the butlers who needed service.
Since this resort is smaller the main pool area we found every cramped and busy and loud. This is the activity pool as well. It was very hard to find 2 seats past 10 am and usually you were out of luck. So we went back into the center of the resort and sat by one of the quiet small pools. There are 2 quiet pools with 6 and 8 seats. This was wonderful however you have to give up any kind of butler service. There are no drinks served at these pools, which for a 5 Diamond Resort you would think they would have this covered. So you must choose peace and quiet and no pool service or loudness and service. In my opinion a guest should not have to choose at this level of hotel.
The food and assortment of food is fantastic. Every meal we had was outstanding. Every meal was a joy to sit down and enjoy. However the signature restaurant is small meals displayed as artwork. Do not book this restaurant on a night that you are hungry, otherwise it is a treat to experience. The selection of wine at the Hideaway is what I was hoping for and more, their list will have something for every connoisseur!
Our room was on the main floor, however I recommend booking an upper level if you don't like bugs, beetles and even rodents as they sometimes can enter your room. If your room is on the main floor do not leave your door open even for a moment without watching.
We loved 'tea time' as tuxedo dressed butlers serve you crustless little sandwiches and miniature desserts complimented by an amazing live saxophone musician and other entertainment. The building area is spectacular with tall ceilings, incredibly tall glass windows, and dashes of foliage in all the right places as the breeze whispers through around you.
The resort has a dinner theatre 2 times a week that you must like all other restaurants make an advanced reservation for. The show has a buffet meal. The show had impressive talent however the music would just stop in between acts leaving awkward unprofessional silence. One thing that was a very nice personal touch was at each meal they would put a tent card on the table with your names.
I found many guests did not know how to act appropriately, they were young newlyweds that more than likely got this a gift for their honeymoon that typically do not travel at such high end resorts. They were loud, crude and ignorant to others around them and staff. Overall we found the guests unfriendly and stuck up. I prefer a resort where you can pay for an upgrade to platinum or royal club service areas within the resort. I find the people much more appreciative of their environment. Also the staff always gave exceptional service however they always seemed so shocked when we tipped or chatted with them. They are used to doing their job excellent yet no interaction, with emotionless faces. We had to work to interact with the staff, compared to other resorts where I like to stay like the Royal Club at the Occidental Xcaret; the staff are personable, friendly and interactive, however quiet and reserved if you like it that way.
For the price paid I am unsure of returning again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Award winning luxury all inclusive resort set along the beautiful beaches of Playa del Carmen, Mexico. Ideal setting in a serene environment for complete rest and relaxation. Adults only. Member of The Leading Hotels of the World. 2008 winner of the coveted AAA 5 Diamond Award. 11 villas with private concierge are spread throughout the property's immaculate grounds. Six gourmet restaurants serve delicasies in menu-style dining. A full service spa offers the ultimate in papmering and body treatments. Personalzied service and attention to detail set this resort a world apart. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Barcelo, Travelocity, Expedia, BookIt.com, Booking.com, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, HotelsforEveryone and getaroom.com so you can book your Royal Hideaway Playacar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Hideaway Playacar & Occidental Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Hideaway Playacar And Occidental Resorts
- Royal Hideaway Playa Del Carmen
- Royal Hideaway Mexico
- Occidental Royal Hideaway
- Royal Hideaway Playacar Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico