“Loved this place!”

Royal Hideaway Playacar
Ranked #31 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 20, 2013

We just came back from a beautiful vacation at Royal Hideaway. We were there from March 10th until March 17th.

First of all let me say that we were really impressed with the quality of service we got. All employees we encounter were friendly and helpful. We like to see the positive on things and we treat people the way we would like to be treated (kindness and respect).

Our concierge in building 25 was fantastic. Our room on the second floor was very nice and the bathroom too. The bathtub was small but it didn’t matter to us because we prefer to take a shower. We were able to see another room before we left. It was similar but we preferred the bathroom layout we had. We were also lucky because our balcony had a nice garden view. I think I would have been disappointed if it would have been facing a wall or would have been in the shade and surrounded by trees. We encounter a problem with our safe and it was rapidly fixed.

We tried all a la carte restaurants. We had reservation all week long between 8 and 9 and we made all of our reservation the first morning we got there. The service was excellent and the food very good. We are very open minded about trying new things. If we don’t love the food we find it to be normal because sometimes when we out go to restaurants we are not always pleased with what we order.

Infinity pool is nice but we didn’t swim in it because we didn’t like the fact that lots of birds (seagulls) bathe in it several times during the day.

The beach is wonderful. Waiters are hustling at time with all the demands on drinks and food. Just need to be patient and they will look after you.

Please if you go, try not to slam the door of your room, Also be patient if you don‘t get right away what you want (drinks, table...). If you look for a party place this is not it. This resort is great to relax.

We will be back !

7  Thank weluv2travel2011
Write a ReviewReviews (4,493)

Reviewed March 18, 2013

My husband and I went to Royal Hideaway for a week away and it was one of the most relaxing weeks of our life. I have been to all inclusive resorts before but never as luxurious, the food, drinks, service were all amazing. The staff was top notch, everyone was extremely helpful and friendly- often addressing us by our names. There was always plenty of space at the pool and beach and you did not have to worry about reserving a spot. The resort is very quite and peaceful- which is great for a relaxing week away, but might be too quiet for a couple that wants to party. One tip, book your restaurant reservations early as the ideal times book up quickly. Also be sure to rent the bikes, they're free, and head into 5th ave for some shopping, it is about 1.5 miles away and much easier to do on a bike than walking. I highly recommend this resort and can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on an upper floor for a better view.
9  Thank alig678
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed at the Royal Hideway the first week in March. I had wanted to stay at this resort for a few years, so was quite excited to finally be vacationing there. The entire trip was quite the experience. For starters, when we booked this holiday, we also received the Options Plus Air Transat package at no extra cost. It was truly wonderful to be able to pre-book our seats and use the VIP lounge (fabulous breakfast) in Toronto. We also had a private transfer to the resort, so no delay in kicking off our holiday by having to stop off at various resorts to drop people off. The resort is small and charming giving off the ambience of being in a very large villa. The service was excellent from the front desk to the concierge who checked on my return flight and time of transfer. What we really appreciated was the wait staff knowing our names within 24 hours of our arrival and greeting us personally every time we arrived for breakfast, lunch or dinner. So thank you to Laura, Isis, Jesus and Christian for the wonderful service. The resort was clean and nicely landscaped. The rooms were not quite as luxurious as the ones at the Iberostar Grand where we have previously stayed, but the maid service was prompt and the room was seen to twice a day. As part of our Options Plus package, there was a bottle of wine in our room on arrival and a bottle of resposado Tequila the next day. We also had a $100.00 credit toward wine at the restaurants.
Now about the food. Resort food isn't something I generally reminisce about. But the food at some of the restaurants here was definitely a cut above. We especially enjoyed eating at Spices(Caribbean overlooking the ocean), Ventana(Gourmet) and Palazzo(Italian). There was only one evening that involved a buffet dinner and a show that I did not really enjoy. Breakfast and lunch was always a lovely leisurely affair at restaurants overlooking the ocean with the aforementioned excellent service and good variety of food.
The beach was amazing and you could beach walk in either direction for hours. Lovely powdery white sand and great ocean front. We enjoyed the ability to go off the resort and safely walk in the suburb of Playacar admiring the beautiful houses, or walk into Playa del Carmen.
I'm not a spa person, so cannot comment on that. My husband was a bit disappointed in the lack of a structured tennis program. He is an avid tennis player and I am not. One thing he loves about the Iberostar is the structured tennis program they have, with included clinics every morning. Here he would have to pay a not insignificant amount daily if he wished to hit with the pro. However he kept himself busy with snorkelling and sailing. Thanks to Leslie, Alex and Leo
for keeping him entertained with ping pong etc during the day.
So to summarize, excellent personalized service in a small intimate resort for people who want to be " far from the madding crowd" and be treated to good food.

Room Tip: Small resort so all rooms within a reasonable distance of amenities. Some people complained about no...
6  Thank Chris P
Guadalupe S, Gerente at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2017

Dear Chris P,

We appreciate your review on your past stay with us. It is the service level and the warmth of our staff what charmed you and so many others. We definitely hope to host your next vacation very soon.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

We stayed at the Royal Hideaway in Playa Del Carmen last weekend (early March) and enjoyed our stay. Let me preface by saying that we had just stayed at Grand Velas in Riviera Nayarit so we definitely had some comparisons between the two. We had wanted to stay at The Royal Hideaway for several years and kept looking at it. We decided to book a long weekend for our anniversary along with another couple and try it out. In all, we were very happy and enjoyed our stay- although I am not sure that we would return back. A couple of things that were great- really liked the boutique feel of the resort, that it was smaller, and it was more like staying in a villa as opposed to a massive hotel- it was nice to have a bit more "space"- not feel like you were crammed in a tight hotel strip of rooms. A couple of people have complained that the rooms are outdated- I felt that the room was updated and nice enough- that the bathrooms needed the real upgrade. The shower definitely had some old, gross spots, and if you wanted to use the tub (I didn't) you would be disappointed as it was a very small tub. I felt the actual sleeping area of the room was nice and sufficient. The balcony to the room was huge. As another point, we were in one of the villas that faced the large sister property next door and I did not hear loud music or a "party" all night long. I didn't hear much of anything at all.
The grounds of the resort are beautiful and nicely maintained- the smaller pools sprinkled out were nice, although we never used them. The main pool is very pretty but COLD. I join other users in wondering why don't they heat these? I didn't even get in the pool the entire time we were there. The beach is absolutely beautiful- prettiest I have seen.
In regards to the food and drink- we were really looking forward to the outstanding reviews that people said about the food- and since the Grand Velas food is so good- we had high hopes. I would say that we were happy- not ecstatic. We had a wonderful meal in the Asian restaurant, an average meal at Las Ventanas (their signature), and a terrible meal at Spices. It was a bit disappointing as we really had amazing meals at Grand Velas- we were hoping for the same. I know a couple of reviewers complained about the wait for the breakfast buffet at Spices, and I would agree. We wasted 20 minutes of our day waiting for breakfast when there were open tables everywhere- frustrating when you are only away for a couple of days. The drinks by the pool were good and the alcohol brands were great- top-shelf the whole way. One of the top things about the visit. I should note that I did get sick on day 3 of staying here with a stomach/Montazumas revenge illness that knocked me back for a few days and basically ended my trip a day early. Whether it was the resorts fault or my own for eating some things I probably shouldn't have- I don't know - but I thought I should report it as another member of our party also got sick as well.
I found the evenings to be fun/good. I know a couple of people have reported theres nothing to do after dinner but we had a band one night and a karaoke night one night. This definitely isn't the place to come if you are looking to go clubbing, but I feel that there is nightlife and some fun to be had in the evenings. Both nights the bar was packed up until 1AM.
Other things to note, the gym is nice with good equipment- just small- it was fine for us. The resort as a whole is very elegant and upscale with a nice clientele. We felt that everyone was friendly and we enjoyed the crowd. The service in the restaurants (except Las Ventanas, see below) was great as well as the bartenders at the pool bar. I will say that the service at the pool chairs seemed slow and not as great as service as we had at Grand Velas. The waiters we had in both the Asian restaurant and Spices was great- very nice, helpful, and friendly. Our waiter in Las Ventanas was rude and snotty- was rushing us- not accommodating- and seemed hurt the ambience of the meal. This was disappointing as it is supposedly is their signature restaurant/experience.
So, all in all, I'm not sure I would come back but it was a nice place to visit for a long weekend. I think I just had higher hopes since I had heard so many good things and it was relatively pretty expensive for what we got. I think the next time we go to Riviera Maya we will head to the Grand Velas. The Royal Hideaway is a very nice resort- I just feel that their service could be a bit better and the food could be more consistent, and heat the pool!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Angela S
RoyalHideaway1, Guest Relations Manager at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Dear Angela S
We truly appreciate the time you took to write this review and we thank you for visiting the Royal Hideaway Playacar to celebrate your anniversary. We are glad to know you enjoyed the atmosphere of our petite resort, we surely stand out from the crowd as you noticed from the neighbor hotels. It is refreshing to hear you enjoyed our grounds and all the pools spread out throughout and the beach which indeed is widely known to be one of the prettiest in this area.
All of your suggestions have been viewed by our GM and are taken into consideration, we appreciate your opinion.
Your comments on the food have been shared with our Executive Chef, and as a Leading Hotel of the World, we strive only to exceed your expectations, we apologize for not achieving that. We are sorry you got sick during your stay, we would have liked to know about it during your stay to assist you accordingly. Also, please allow me to express my deepest apologies for the lack of service you experienced at the restaurants. It does not reflect the outstanding service and attention to details we strive to be known for. I can assure you that we have immediately addressed the situation with our Restaurant Managers in order to prevent any future occurrence.
It is very nice to know you did enjoy the Allegria Bar night life, and the brand new gym as well, these too have been recently remodeled and we love to have great reviews about them.
Once again thank you for staying with us and for your very feedback.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

A group of us had booked rooms another property. That property was so full, they transferred us to this property. We were delighted that this resort was everything we had wanted in a vacation. The staff was wonderful and gracious. The resort is a small resort, but if you are looking for a quiet and peaceful getaway, look no further. Anytime we go back to Playa Del Carmen, we will be coming back!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Joseph L
Reviewed March 15, 2013

My wife and I visited Royal Hideaway in February of 2013 as first time guests at the hotel. We had read reviews of other travelers who had advised the resort was quiet and obviously smaller than some of the MEGA resorts along the Mayan coast.

We were looking at several 5* adults only resorts in Mexico and decided to choose the resort based on its small size (200 rooms), close proximity to Playa Del Carmen and the wide selection of restaurants.
We were not disappointed with our choice!

The resort was as advertised. Our room was a regular suite which was more than ample for the two of us with a nice sized private deck and very comfortable amenities. The entire resort is very clean!!!

The restaurant selection was very impressive as the resort boasts 5 al a carte dining options for dinner all of which had a wide variety on the menu. There is no buffet dining for lunch or dinner so this in our opinion was a very nice touch. Breakfasts are buffet but set in a beach side restaurant. The buffet was full of different options that were sure to please most travellers from around the world. The only down side to the dining in our opinion was the fact that the breakfast was always very busy as the resort appeared to be at full capacity. As a result a wait list was usually in order so you could not just walk in and eat and get out unless you went early (before 9).

As mentioned in previous reviews of this resort it is quiet. This was up our alley as we were travelling alone to relax and enjoy the views and atmosphere. The resort is set up to accommodate travelers looking for this type of holiday. There is no swim up bars despite having numerous pools throughout the grounds. The resort is very functional due to the fact that the service staff is outstanding at the beach and pool.

We have traveled previously to Karisma owned and operated El Dorado resorts. These resorts are outstanding but when comparing Casita's and El Dorado Royal to Royal Hideaway the size of the resort is the deciding factor. We would choose the Hideaway as both are equal in service and amenities. El Dorado Maroma is a very comparable property to the Royal Hideaway in many regards as both are very small in size but big on service and are willing to cater to most requests one may have! Maroma is still a fair distance from Playa Del Carmen where as Royal Hideaway is a 20 minute walk on the beach with a refreshment or through the residential development of Playa Car.

For those that enjoy selection RHP provided a wide selection of imported liquor as do most 5* properties in Mexico. The one unique quality that I found was its wide selection of beer. All of the bars were stocked with Negro Modelo (dark beer), Corona, Modelo, Heineken, Bud products and the Japanese restaurant actually served Saporo.

The beach was excellent as there were no rocks, no man made or natural wave barriers and the sand was very nice (not as soft as maroma beach but cleaner due to the fact that there was almost no seaweed rolling up with the waves). Based at the hotel is an excursion company that provides pick up service on the water for snorkeling, scuba, parasail, jet skis and more. This was very convenient.

For those looking to use the fitness facilities when travelling RHP had an excellent gym with new equipment and 4 treadmills for those that like to run in addition to eliptical machines and bikes. Outdoors there were several well maintained tennis and basketball courts.

We would highly recommend this resort to a couple or small group looking for a low key 5* trip! If you want to go out for a more exciting evening once or twice Playa is a short walk or cab ride away!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank CityofChampsStanley
Reviewed March 15, 2013

On arrival the check in person was not very informative. The process was long and unlike any we've ever encountered. Once we were able to see our room it was disappointing, ground floor over looking the service walk way and next hotel. The balcony( step out no seating) was rusted and wired together. We went back to see about changing rooms since we were here for a week. Again To the front with service that was minimal. Eventually changed rooms the next day only with the help of our concierge. Same view but upper level with a balcony. The room itself was nice. The first night we had 1 choice of restaurants available with the earliest time at 9:30 ( late for a travel day since we had been up since 3am). An hour before our dinner at Spices we asked if we could add 1 more person to our table, had to go thru the mgr who eventually said no. When our time came for dinner there were 4 empty 4 tops while we were seated at a table for 2. The mgr walked by and I asked why couldn't we have added another person. He was rude and said because they were busy! Not use to this type of service from a mgr!

We had a day without power, internet and water while all other hotels did. I felt like I was on a cruise ship, no toilets! We spoke to a mgr our concierge eventually sent to our room. She apologized and offered us another room ( our room still didn't have phones or Internet) we declined since we had already moved once. We thought our rate for the 1 day should have been adjusted ( went into town for bathrooms). It wasn't.

The help ( excluding management) were polite, very efficient and gracious. The food in the restaurants were surprisingly good.

Room Tip: You can request upper floor but they truely ignore any request!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank CaribTraveller32648

Dear CaribTraveller32648

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments. I am sincerely sorry that we have been unable to meet your expectations. The quality of our service is of up most importance to us. Therefore, I have shared your comments with the head of departments involved in your review in order to prevent these annoyances to happen again. If there is anything we can do gain your trust in our product and service, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. I will gladly make all the necessary arrangements for your next visit.

Ms. Laxmi Gaxiola