“Not worth the money.”

GreenLeadersGold level
Springfield
“Not worth the money.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

We visited Oct 12-19th. I chose this place because of recommendations from friends and the reviews on here. Sadly this resort was lacking. The front desk receptionist asked if we were celebrating anything special. We said yes, our 10 year anniversary was in September. She acted like that it was ridiculous to be celebrating a month late.

Some of the food was incredible, some was mediocre and some as absolutely awful. Most was beautifully presented whether it tasted good or not. 5 ouf the 7 dinners we had there we had fantastic service. Those other two nights our service was slow and unfriendly. We were unhappy with the fact that the breakfast buffet was our only option, neither my husband nor I liked it. They also did not have the dinner show the entire week we were there.

We were introduced to our concierge. After that finding him was impossible. He was working between 2 villas. I realize that it was not his fault he was busy. With that said we requested an extra blanket twice, never received. it. When we were able to find him once to ask him a question, he yelled down to us from the second floor landing. He made it clear we were bothering him.

The beach and ocean are amazing. White sand and clear blue water. There are plenty of beach chairs and the bali beds are great!

If you only want to eat, drink and lie on the beach then this is the type of resort you want. For us it was extremely boring.

We were in Villa 26 and it was in the center of the resort. The room was nice, the bed was very, very firm. Even from our room we could hear the music blaring from the other resorts until late into the night.

They do take immaculate care of the resort grounds. There were people always cleaning and repairing.

1 Thank Heather G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (906)
  • Polish first
Cypress, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

I usually do not like all inclusive resorts because the food quality and service are generally below par. Royal Hideaway is just the opposite. The service and food are both excellent. The staff is genuinely friendly and eager to please. The facility and grounds are well cared for and the beach is beautiful.

My wife and I were celebrating our sixteenth wedding anniversary. Our concierge, Eduardo, helped me arrange a suprise anniversary dinner on the beach. We arrived at the Grill for dinner that night and found a perfectly manicured table for two on the beach. My wife was eccstatic. Pierre and his staff had obviously groomed every detail. The grilled lobster dinner was exxcellent. Fray was our waiter for the night and gave us perfect service.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

I really don't like all inclusive resorts because usually the food is bad and the service stinks , but this place is nothing like that! We loved it ! It was a last min. Holiday in Jan. Of 2012 after spending a month in Europe and were in that travel mode and didn't want to break the bank so my travel agent recommend this place as a quick getaway for a week . The service was great and the food was better then expected, plus it was inexpensive. You get so much for your $$$ so if you want a truely great place in playa del Carmen choose this place , we did and loved it!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Knicpo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

A fabulous resort, clean quiet, amazing facilities with outstanding food. All the staff are friendly and the service is second to none. We will be back as soon as we can and cannot say enough how we have enjoyed our honeymoon at the royal hideaway. Wound recommend to anyone who wants a quiet resort with exquisite food! Thank you to all the staff who have made our honeymoon perfect.

• Stayed October 2012
6 Thank Crouchette
Clifton, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

I just arrived back from my trip of 10-06 – 10-13. I had a great week and wish I was still there!

The Royal Hideaway is the antithesis of all the Yucatan Peninsula resorts. Rather than share the typical new age take on the Mayan Culture, RH looked and felt like something out of an F. Scott Fitzgerald novel. Each villa had similar architecture, but each was a tad different, not the usual cookie cutter approach. The grounds were completely wooded by indigenous trees, tropical palms, and an assortment of visible and semi hidden pools. Overall, the resort was rich in character and peacefulness.

The beach was awesome…the revitalization after the hurricane damage was money well spent. I enjoyed most of my time to the right under a variety of palm trees. I recommend taking a walk along the beach in either direction. If you head north you can make it into town in a half hour.

The staff was the friendliest I have ever encountered; they all went out of their way to make each guest seem special. It felt great to be constantly greeted by name. At each dinner’s end, the host/hostess would ask if there was anything more they can do for me that night. Special kudos go out to Laura, Ingrid, Christopher, Alex, Isis, Ricardo and countless others. The concierge is a nice perk and he was very helpful for my first two days. Unfortunately mine went MIA on Monday morning, never to return.

Every restaurant had its own unique qualities. My favorite was Palazzo, I suggest dining outside on the terrace, if the weather is clear, you can see the Cozumel skyline. Tip…enjoy your lunches at Spices. One minor note… I have read in other previous reviews about tiny portions; my portions were fine. However, if not, the wait staff was happy to bring you more of any course you preferred…many guests dined on multiple deserts.

The Night Life was a bit subdued, and most guests did not partake. My favorite night was Karaoke night; the wedding party of the day seemed to have a good time

The RH could move up to 5 stars with a few minor tweaks…
• At the two o’clock hour live music was performed by a saxapone/flautist. It would have been nice to have music the entire day. On my final Saturday morning, light jazz/new age music was piped on to the beach. It should have been played all week
• Since it was the off season, and the resort was less than 50% capacity, a few scheduled events did not happen. Most disappointing was the elimination of breakfast at Ventanas... Since I’m not a buffet guy, I really missed the sit down breakfast.
• Nightly entertainment could have been improved with the addition of a vocalist, rather than just instrumentalists.

Finally, I met some nice guests who made the trip that much more enjoyable…, Y at dinner, A&M at the Allegria Bar, and. B&M at the gym.

Room Tip: If you are not satisfied with something, just ask, the staff will aim to please you.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank rickcap
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed at the Royal Hideaway for one week commencing 2nd October 2012.

This is a relaxed quiet and friendly hotel where nothing is too much trouble for the fantastic staff. As all of the staff that we encountered were of the same high quality I will not name any of them but just say a big thank you to all of them for their attentive service.

There are plenty of choices for eating at different restaurants within the resort and the food is of excellent quality.

The location is good as it is walking distance to town either by road or beach. This prevents the feeling of going stir crazy that often comes withan all inclusive resort.

The only things to watch out for are the midges that bite (they do get into the rooms) and there is no deterent automatically provided by the hotel..We were however provided with a spray by the staff upon request.

Other complaints on tripadvisor have related to the noise from the next door hotel. Yes it does disturb the peacefulness of the grounds but once in your room it is not so bothersome.
Also there is noise from outside the rooms when other guests slam doors but this is not something that is constant so can be overlooked as far as we were concerned.

If you want a place to kick back, eat well and relax in lovely surroundings and where the staff will do their utmost to fulfill your every request you would do well to stay at the Royal Hideaway.

If you want to party go somewhere else.

Room Tip: Rooms on the North side are further away from the adjacent hotel which is noisy of an evening. Also...
1 Thank tourists_are_us
Bellevue, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

My husband surprised me with a trip to Maya Riviera for Valentine's day. We booked the trip for May 2012 with our friends who were celebrating their 10-year anniversary. My husband has used Costco travel for his other trips and trusted their choice of hotels. He chose the Royal Hideaway. Before he booked, I did my own research and found it to be the best hotel for our needs. The Royal Hideaway is boutique and does not appear as grand as some of the other resorts when you drive up. However, once you're inside the lobby and hotel grounds, you are taken away by the beauty and feel of luxury. The hotel is really beautiful and smells of flowers everywhere you go! We also appreciated the staff and our own personal concierge. It was my first time in Mexico and I was really impressed. My husband and friends have been to Mexico many times and to all different locations and they all agreed that this was the nicest place they have every stayed in. My only complaint are the rooms and food. The rooms were in need of some TLC. The bathtub was cracked and dirty, so I didn't want to take a bath. Also, for a 5 star, Michelin rated resort, the food fell way below our expectations. I hate to say, but the food at the Deck was comparable to gas-station food. The mexican food at Spices was terribly flavorless. I'd much rather eat at the taco stands near 5th Ave. We ate at every restaurant on the resort and since there were 4 of us, ended up trying every item on every menu. The only thing I'd eat again would be Ventana, the asian restaurant, and breakfast buffet. However, even these would be nowhere near the standards in the US. The food didn't ruin our experience though. We were overall very happy with the resort and felt it was money well spent!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple