“We felt like Royalty”

GreenLeadersGold level
Dallas, Texas
“We felt like Royalty”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

This was our third time to visit Royal Hideaway and we were more impressed than ever! This is the place to go to get away from it all! A totally pampering and relaxing experience. This is not a place to party...they do have a bar that is open until 1 but we are always too tired to go because of the pina coladas and other specialty drinks they offer by the pool and soaking up the sun all day. Before we left Royal Hodeaway, we were already planning our next trip. I set the bar high this time and was not disappointed one bit. This is our favorite get-away hands down. I can't say enough good things.

Room Tip: Ask to be in one of the middle villas. THe top floors have vaulted ceilings.
1 Thank Jennifer T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (914)
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Wanted to experience the celebrations for Day of the Dead (November 1) in Mexico (they were amazing). Booked this hotel as the prices were surprisingly reasonable at that time of year.

Each villa has a Concierge to serve the guests in that location and they ensure everything is perfect for you. The Villas are not modern but traditional, so one is far more aware of the humidity and must keep the room aired daily. There are a variety of pools and a lovely beach. The beach extends to the ferry ramp in one direction and I got tired walking the other way so I don't know how far you can go!

My absolutely favourite restaurant was the Mexican one...... breakfast buffet is excellent especially sitting out on the balcony enjoying the scenery and the lunch & dinner are equally good. Truly some of the best Mexican food I have ever the pleasure of enjoying. This hotel is definitely a "couples" hotel but all restaurants treated singles very graciously.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank CKJ_MOM3
Illinois
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Let me first start with I am 41, female, from US, happily married with 4 children. We were looking for a short getaway to relax and reconnect. We have previously taken our kids to Dreams Tulum and absolutely loved it! So that being said here goes our review:

Beach: Absolutely beautiful. Probably one of the best we have been to. We have traveled to Hawaii, east and west coasts and Florida many times. I could stand in 4 feet of water and see my toes. There were four colors of blue looking out onto the ocean. No rocks or shells, some seaweed, but that is to be expected. The beach went beyond our expectations!

Rooms: Very lovely. Smaller, but very clean and well taken care of. Very comfortable bed. We have a TempurPedic bed at home and usually miss it lots when traveling. This time we didnt. Room service very quick. They basically would bend over backwards and do a couple of flips to make sure that you were happy.

Food: After reading review after review about this resort and so many others when we were trying to choose where to stay, I can honestly say all the reviews were correct. The food is very good. And if you have noticed in all the reviews no one complains about getting sick from unhealthy sanitary practices. I have my food sanitation license and I saw no food prep violations. This is a big deal - no one wants to get sick on vacation. My husband seems to have an upset stomach often - NOT ONCE WHILE HERE!
Probably the only complaint we had the whole time is just that the evening dining was a little to fancy for us. I mean they lay out the red carpet at each restaurant and are so attentive to every detail, but we are very casual and would have liked to have a casual place to go in shorts in the evening. The second day we opted to have lunch while on the beach relaxing. We really enjoyed not having to get dressed for lunch and to stay in our swimsuits. The meal was there in 10 minutes - not joking. They are so attentive!!!
Contrary to every review I read (which seemed like 100's), our least favorite restaurant was Las Ventanas. The food was ok, my husbands sea bass was excellent. We just felt a little to formal. But it was still a very good restaurant. Loved the piano playing in the background - how romantic.
Spices for breakfast was great. We were lucky enough to eat out on the patio and were amazed by the beautiful views.
Azia was good. We had a very romantic private room, felt like we were in Japan. My husband had the hibachi, it lacked flavor. We both had sushi, it was ok. I had the mahi mahi it was pretty good. The fried ginger ice cream was the best - a must try:)
The Grill was our favorite for lunch and dinner. Once again impeccable service - I cant believe how hard these people work to make you happy. Ceviche!! It was made with fresh grouper - YUMMY! Grouper fish tacos were great, had the pizza it was only ok wouldnt recommend.

Pools - my husbands favorite part. They were the perfect temperature, very clean, and everywhere there seemed to be one! The pool bathroom always had someone there cleaning it.

I would definitely recommend this resort. It was awesome to be pampered. We felt very safe. This place is worth the extra money, you will not be disappointed I promise!

Room Tip: We had the standard deluxe room 2nd floor on the south side of the resort. Amazing and quiet.
5 Thank MelindaIllinois
ny
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Thank you to Monica at World-Wide Travel of Cornwall, NY for suggesting this gorgeous, welcoming resort for our Mexican get-away. Some of the things we loved: Mexican style architecture and furnishings, beautifully landscaped tropical grounds, turquoise color of the ocean, intimate little pools and romantic nooks, little surprises like outdoor high tea, and a romantic dinner for two on the beach. We were spoiled and delighted by the differently themed restuarants--their elegant ambience, friendly staff, creative menus, and the beautifully presented gourmet food, I could go on and on with enthusiastic comments. Hope we can go back soon.

Room Tip: A second floor rooms have a balconies with a table and chair. Rooms that are more central are quiete...
2 Thank cleopatrany
Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

I work for a well known U.S. carrier that looks for 3 qualities when hiring folks because they feel if one embodies them then customers will keep coming back time and time again. These three qualities are Warrior Spirit, Servants Heart and a Fun LUVing Attitude and The Royal Hideaway has every last bit of them. This is truly why I keep coming back to them time and time again at least for the past 5 years.

Warrior Spirit- they don't stop short of fixing the problem, if you should have one, or having the answer your looking for. I have never had a problem personally but have heard guests that have and we're very satisfied with the outcome. The most extreme issue I heard was how the a/c was out in their room and the hotel Manager arranged for fans to be brought to the room while the issue was resolved and a room change of the problem was not resolved that day if not hour. In addition, they offered them a free massage as a way to relaxe and relieve the stress that the situation had caused.

This makes for a great segway into the second quality which is Servants Heart. At the RH you are not just a room number or another night stay. You are some they want to get to know more and help you have the best stay possible. From Sara at the front, to Eduardo at the Bar, to Isis at the Deck to Rosa at the Spa. They all will do anything for you and always with a beautiful smile on their face.

Now for the Fun LUVing Attitude, which can be seen at all times during the day. This place is quiet but that doesn't mean they don't know how to have fun. For the past 3 years I have met the same couple from NY their just by chance and ever time we play a game of Bocci. Currently NY is up on TX 2 games to 1. Anyway, from beach games to water aerobics to the staff signing "Love is in the air", they just make you feel relaxed and ready to have a good time. By no means will they pressure you to do anything, but they will be sure to check in with you and ask if would like to join in. At night they have a simple yet fun set of activities--karaoke, poker, bands etc., and at just the right amount where you leave happy but not exhausted.

As for food, drink, beds, spa, grounds, gym, pool, beach, all are incredible and whatever bad reviews you have read, these folks have issues of their own. This is 5 star and I would add a sixth if I could.

Thank you RH for always making me feel like someone very special even from the first step I take onto your grounds where I am always greeted by our friend Manuel. Planning my next trip and what better place to celebrate 15 years of being in love with my beautiful wife.

Thanks again!

• Stayed July 2012
4 Thank Oldnu7
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2012

This was our first visit to Mexico and chose this hotel mainly from the comments left by other people on Tripadvisor. We were not disappointed. The hotel is in a magnificent setting backing on to a white sandy beach. The staff were welcoming and helpful and the facilities second to none. We would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a stress free and pampered holiday.

3 Thank George H
Newcastle
Reviewed September 12, 2012

What can I say,this is heaven. Been to Riveria Maya 4 times the n found this paradise. We were in the middle of the resort Villa 26(the most quiet). The staff are outstanding and welcoming and after the first day or two they somehow know your name and what drinks you like and have on tap for you all day.Our friends celebrated birthday and wedding anniversaries and drank champage all day in question no problem. Food is excellant, doesnt help the weight allowance on the return flights, as so much to choose from. The grounds are well looked after and everyone says "Hola". Roll on next year when we are hoping to return to PARADISE again.

Room Tip: Ask for Villa 26 and Upper floor
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends