“Relaxing Birthday Trip”

Ranked #34 of 217 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 22, 2012

My boyfriend and I just returned from our Playa Del Carmen trip and really enjoyed our stay at the Royal Hideaway! The pros: beautiful grounds, room was very clean and roomy, the staff were always exceptionally nice, the food with the exception of The Azia (Japanese) restaurant was all very good, adults only so very relaxing, never had to worry about getting a chair on the beach or by the pool, always had quick drink service why laying out on the beach, awesome concierge service. The cons: if you're looking for any kind of nightlife or activities, this is not your place, the average age was probably around 60ish, difficult to control temperature in shower, we were in villa 30 which backed-up to a very loud resort and we heard extremely loud music in the evening which was difficult to block out (recommend you get an internal villa instead of one on the perimeter). Also, our patio faced the worker’s entrance and a cement wall bordering the loud and active resort (picture microphone amplified voices for pool games and the resonance of “shots, shots, shots….” blaring loudly). Pretty much made our patio unusable.

Shout outs for David & Bernardino who served us drinks on the beach - so friendly and happy! Also for Domingo who is a server at Las Palazos (italian) restaurant - awesome service. Our concierge, Laita, was extremely nice and helpful – she even decorated our room for my boyfriend’s birthday!

We dove with the onsite dive company (Barrakuda SCUBA) two different times and were lucky enough to have private dives both times! Both of our dive masters - Alex (cenote dive) and Leonardo (Cozumel dive) were unbelievably awesome!! They were very professional and had great people skills. There is no way we could have had a better diving experience!!

We would definitely return to the resort for a relaxing vacation!

Room Tip: Do NOT get a room that backs up to the partying resort - stay in an internal villa.
2  Thank Michele W
RoyalHideaway1, Guest Relations Manager at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2012

Dear Michele W,

Thank you for your review. Guest feedback is always appreciated and helps us to improve the experience! We are glad that you enjoyed our beautiful grounds, the room, the food and drinks and our staff, especially the concierge team.

We are sad to hear that you had a bad experience at the Azia Restaurant and I will let our Executive Chef know about it. You are right, our nightlife is low key. However, during the day we offer activities like Yoga, water gymnastics, darts, bingo, dancing and cooking classes and martini mixing lessons. Our nightly activities include a twice-weekly dinner show, karaoke and live music. We are fortunate that downtown Playa del Carmen is only a five-minute taxi ride from the and offers endless nightlife options. We are sorry that you were bothered by the noise from a neighboring resort. Special room request prior to arrival can be done by contacting cservices@mx.occidentalhotels.com .

We will share your comments with David and Bernardino, Domingo and your concierge Laita who made your boyfriend’s birthday so special. Also, Leonardo and Alex from our dive center will be happy that you enjoyed your trips with them.

We hope to see you again soon!

Royal Hideaway Playacar

Write a ReviewReviews (4,715)

Reviewed January 22, 2012

I returned last week from a 6 day stay at Royal Hideaway. It was the most luxurious, beautiful resort I have ever been to. The physical grounds are lovely with a dozen or so villa type buildings scattered between the main building and the pools/beach. Each villa comes with its own concierge who knows you by name and takes care of anything you may need. The beach was gorgeous; terrific for swimming, kayaking, sailing, or just sunning. The pools were equally wonderful and the service staff are there whenever you need them to bring you drinks, snacks, towels, whatever. The activities team (Alex and Christopher) were personable, gracious and eager to make you happy. And the food . . . it was unbelievable. I have stayed at all inclusives before and had "acceptable" food. We ate at each of the 5 restaurants and everyone of them were exceptional. It was like dining at 5 star restaurants each night. Our favorites were Azia and La Palazzo. Make sure you make reservations in advance of your arrival as we did have some difficulty getting the earlier times we prefer (7-8p). We went to one of the dinner shows and were pleasantly surprised at the quality of the entertainment, though the food was well below the standards set by the restaurants. I would suggest going to the show, have a drink and then go to dinner at a restaurant after. While Royal Hideaway is not cheap (think it runs about $500/night for 2), what you get is certainly worth it. It is very quiet so if you want a place with lots to do, probably should look elsewhere. But if you want a beautiful, quiet resort with outstanding service and exceptional food, this is the place.

10  Thank Austinsmp
RoyalHideaway1, Guest Relations Manager at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2012

Dear Austinsmp,

Thank you for sharing your experience with other travelers. We are thrilled that you enjoyed our beautiful resort, grounds, beach, pools, attentive staff and delicious food. Thank you for recognizing Alex and Christopher (our pool concierges); we are very proud to have them with us and will share your review with them. Great that you also enjoyed the personalized attention of your villa concierge; they just always know how to fulfill every wish of our dear guests.

Thank you for pointing out the advanced dinner reservations that can be done through cservices@mx.occidentalhotels.com . Also, I will let our Executive Chef know to work on the menu for our dinner show. As you mentioned, we offer low key nightly entertainment. Apart from the dinner shows we have live music in the Alegria Bar and Karaoke two times a week. However, Playa del Carmen downtown is only a five minute taxi ride from here with a bustling nightlife.

We look forward to hosting you again soon.

Reviewed January 21, 2012

Everything was top-notch. This was our 5th stay at this location, and we feel it beats any other in the general vicinity. Everything was just about perfect. Meals were excellent and nicely presented, alcoholic beverages were top brands. The grounds are luxurious and beautiful - very quiet and a real pleasure to walk through. This is not a place to go for loud parties and a swinging night life, but if you want a relaxing vacation with extremely attentive and friendly staff, this is well worth a try.

Room Tip: South side rooms are quieter than the others.
6  Thank Robert B

Dear Rober B

Thank you for sharing your comments with other travelers. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your fifth stay with us and thank you so much for your loyalty!

You are right; our nightlife is low key. Apart from the two dinner shows per week, we have nightly live music at our Alegria Bar. It is luck, though, that the downtown of Playa del Carmen is only a five minute taxi ride from us and offers many options for an extensive night life.

We hope to host your 6th stay soon!

Warm regards,

Reviewed January 19, 2012

We were there to relax and that's what we did. No noisy activities, always someone to offer something and make sure you don't need anything else. No running for chairs, towels or anything you can think of. Thanks to Alex and his morning smile even if you don't need him he will find a way to enhance your experience. Food was excellent everywhere and our prefered place was las Ventanas. This place was the perfect fit for us but if you are looking for a place that have tons of activities and fun this is not for you. You won't find any group contest, volleyball beach and things like that. Bicycles, tennis and fitting room were always available.

Room Tip: Rooms on the interior side are quieter
8  Thank ProulxS

Dear ProulxS,

Greetings from the Royal Hideaway, and thank you for your review. As you experienced yourself we love to pamper our guests and fulfill their wishes even before they get the chance to ask.
I look forward to sharing your comments with Alex and our Chef who will be happy that you enjoyed his cuisine, especially at our signature restaurant Las Ventanas.

As you mention, our entertainment is low key. Thank you for pointing out the bicycles, tennis and the gym. Additionally, we offer water gymnastics, dance and cooking lessons, yoga, darts and bingo. Also the center of Playa del Carmen with several nightlife options is only a five-minute taxi ride from us.

We hope to get the chance to spoil you again soon!

Best regards

Reviewed January 19, 2012

This was our fourth (4th) stay at this property. My husband and I have been traveling to this location to celebrate our anniversary each year. We have found it difficult to go anywhere else because this hotel and property is beyond exceptional. We actually tried in 2011 to go elsewhere and we ended that vacation and taxied over to the RH on day 2. Other properties just do not compare. What makes this property is the employees. They are kind, courteous, friendly, funny and just have a desire to always help and make sure that you are enjoying your time. They are grateful for the tourism and it shows. The food and drinks here are all top notch. The rooms are very comfortable and carefully appointed. The property itself is very well maintained. The beach is glorious - very large beach and the water is refreshing. The pool amenities are great. Whether it be a cool towel on a hot day, some fruit just when you were getting hungry or a chair message....there is no opportunity to help you relax forgotten. This really is a hidden gem and if you have the opportunity to travel to Mexico should be a place to consider. I am sure that there are places that compare or might be better....but for us.....this is OUR place. Thank you RH!

Room Tip: All of the rooms here are set in two story type Villa's with private balconies. We have stayed...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
9  Thank smellen
RoyalHideaway1, Guest Relations Manager at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2012

Dear smellen,

First of I would like to tell you that we were thrilled by the title of your post “Heaven on Earth.” Thank you for your loyalty and for celebrating your anniversary with us (congratulations!). We are happy that you enjoy staff, the food and drinks, the property, rooms and our beautiful beach. Thank you also for pointing out the pool amenities. We love to pamper our dear guests.

We hope to see you here again soon. Greetings from your heaven on earth!

Reviewed January 18, 2012

This was my first experience at an all-inclusive resort, and it was fantastic. The grounds and landscaping are extremely well maintained. The staff couldn't be more accommodating and willing to assist you; they ask repeatedly if there is anything else you might want. They are especially eager poolside:) For those of us who are accustomed to doing things on our own, it's quite nice to have someone notice that I'm looking for something, and offer it:)

I visited for five days with my family, and we were a group of ten. The restaurants had some difficulty seating us all at the same table, so we normally split into two groups. No biggie. We visited at the beginning of January, 2012, which seemed to be just past the Holiday rush. The resort was well-attended but not overcrowded.

The food in all the restaurants was excellent. The breakfast buffet at Spices was extremely varied, with a mix of Mexican and American favorites. Since this was the only restaurant open for breakfast, it's especially nice that several hot items were different each day. With the assistance of the concierge we made all our dinner reservations on the first day, and then just had to show up. Each evening a reminder was slid under our room doors, telling us where and when we were dining that evening.

The concierge was exceptionally helpful. She helped us plan a day trip to the nearby Mayan ruins with my 95-year-old cousin. All went wonderfully and my cousin was able to virtually see and do everything there. There are several opportunities to swim with dolphins in the area, and our concierge recommended one experience, which turned out to be the highlight of my trip!!

There are two reasons I did not give the Royal Hideaway a five-star rating. First, we were in Villa 28, which is on the edge of the property, bordered by another resort. The first night I couldn't sleep because of music which was so loud it felt as if I were in the first row of a rock concert. When I phoned the reception to ask where the music was coming from, I was told it was from the Royal Hideaway's own club, which faced my room. I was also told that the club would close around midnight, so I just waited for the noise to stop. After the first night, I did occasionally hear some music, but nowhere near as loud as on the first night. Certainly in this particular villa, on the edge of the property, we could clearly hear the activities from the neighboring resort, which is only separated by a fence. All the resort properties in Playacar seem to border on each other in this manner, so if peace and quiet are very important, ask for a room in the interior/center of the grouping of villas.

The second reason for a four-star rating is the poor communication between the various service entities at the Royal Hideaway. If someone told you they would bring you something, they did so without fail. However, if they said that they would pass it on to another department, it just never happened. There were numerous instances of this miscommunication. For example, the concierge said she would speak to "maintenance" about a lamp in my room which didn't light. Nobody came. The following day I asked the housekeeper, who promptly went to an adjacent empty room and brought me another lamp.

Perhaps the communication was worst amongst the various people who work at the dive shop. They clearly get some sort of commission for selling you one of the extra services/trips they offer, and are extremely eager to speak with you. Unfortunately, one person will give you information which is different from the next. For example, I was told that a trial diving experience would happen at noon at the pool. Just show up. I even went to the dive shop prior to noon (as one of them had suggested), to tell them I'd be at the pool, waiting. Nobody with diving gear ever showed up at the pool. Around a quarter-after-noon, I went to the dive shop again, and was told that the diving trial that day was at the next resort (which is apparently owned by the same company). I was then wisked over to the adjacent resort and had my five-minute diving trial. Earlier I had seen two other guests poolside who apparently were taken to the adjacent resort for this purpose, and even though I had told a dive shop employee I was waiting for the diving trial, nobody approached me. I didn't figure this out until afterwards, or I certainly would have asked the person who assisted the other two guests:)

Overall, I would definitely visit the Royal Hideaway again. The negatives were minor, and definitely overshadowed by the overall experience. It was like being on a cruise, without the ship:)

Room Tip: Ask for a villa in the interior if you don't want to hear the activities from neighboring proper...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
9  Thank Chaps60

Dear Chaps 60

We are happy to hear that we made your first all-inclusive vacation fantastic, and we thank you for your detailed review.

Thank you for your comments about the beautiful grounds, great food and attentive staff. I will share your comments with your concierge, and she will be happy to hear that she helped you with your excursions. Also, our new Executive Chef will feel honored that you enjoyed his excellent cuisine and the variety of food available. In terms of the restaurant reservations, a dinner reservation for 10 in one restaurant at one table is not something that we are easily able to do, because of the design and size of our restaurants. Thank you for your understanding.

We are sorry that you felt bothered by noise from the neighboring resorts. Prior to your next visit, please contact us cservices@mx.occidentalhotels.com to make your special room request. I am concerned to hear that you consider us to have bad internal communication and will share your comments with our management team to address these issues. Also, we are sorry for the confusing experience you had with the on-site dive shop. We will look into that as well.

Hopefully we will have the honor to welcome you back soon on our shipless cruise!

Best regards

Reviewed January 17, 2012

Stayed at the Royal Hideaway from Dec 20-27, 2011. Had a great holiday. the food was good and the staff was wonderful. Took in two of the dinner shows. Impressive for the size of the hotel but don't expect Broadway. The restaurants had lots of choices and the staff was always offering more food and beverages. Thankfully there was a scale in the bathroom to keep you on track. There is something for everyone. Loved that they don't allow children. very relaxing. I would go back again in a heart beat.
Would have liked a larger fitness center. I also had a problem with getting the shower to stay at a constant temp.

Room Tip: I did not spend time in my room so I was happy I did not upgrade
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Jennifer M

Dear Jennifer M,

Thank you for sharing your comments with other travelers. We are pleased to hear that you had a great holiday! Thank you also for pointing out our dinner shows; we are very proud of them. We have a variety of shows including Mexican, African or International shows.

I will share your comments about the shower with our engineer so that he can look into it. Also, we are currently renovating our spa and gym facilities to better meet our guests’ demand and we expect our new spa to be finished by March.

See you back here soon!