Royal Hideaway Playacar
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Hotel Riu Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
Allegro Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
  • Pool
Viva Wyndham Maya(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
Viva Wyndham Azteca(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
The Reef Playacar(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Riu Palace Mexico(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Riu Yucatan(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
ClubHotel Riu Tequila(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Riu Lupita(Playa del Carmen)
4,926 results
All reviewslas ventanasthe grilldinner reservationsallegria barvilla conciergespices restaurantclub royaledeck restaurantdinner theaterinfinity poolchef's tablewalk in closetother resortssax playerour honeymoonall inclusive resortquiet resort
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Worth every penny and the resort is still amazing 11 years later! love it and recommend it!
Just do not buy their packets online just book your romance at the resort on your first day.

Room Tip: Do not buy their online packets
1  Thank PJAQH
Community M, Gerente at Royal Hideaway Playacar, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2017

Dear PJAQH,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your vacation with us.

Our guests' comments provide us with an opportunity to see our hotel through their eyes giving us insight into any service that may have room for improvement to enhance our future guests' stay among us, therefore we are grateful for the time you spent to share a review of your personal experience in the hotel.

Reviewed June 12, 2011

The Royal hideaway was the second resort we stayed on our honeymoon. I wanted to be at the best, all inclusive luxury resort and this was it! I would compare it to a Ritz Carlton, it is very ritzy! We felt like we were the only couple there, the pools were not crowded and neither was the beach. There were private pools too that no one uses, so you can have your own pool for a day. The next best thing about this resort is the food! Truly 5 star food, our favorite was the Japanese restaurant Azia, it was soooo good! Being that this is a resort more about relaxing, the meals are the events! It is not quick unless you want it to be. We ate every course available! The portions at most of the restaurants were small, but you can order as much as you want. The service at this resort is second to none, they wait on you the entire time, if you drink in low, they are there before you put your glass down. We felt like royalty, it was a fantastic end to our honeymoon. Playa, downtown is just a 20 min walk down the beach, the water is the bluest I have ever seen and is very calm most days. I can't say enough good things about The Royal Hideaway!

4  Thank Jillian240

Dear Jillian,

Reviewed June 11, 2011

We checked in around 3pm and our room was ready. The check in went smoothly. Champagne, moist towel and cookies offered.
We were in 2626 which I did request an interior building with the top floor. They honored our request. Loved the room, they decorated with towel swans and balloons on our anniversary and the next day with a towel as a girl. Always had turned down service and looked like they put out fresh towels in the evening also. Service is spotless!
I reserved The Chefs Table by email before arriving and had attempted to request other restaurants but since we checked in on a Sunday and the reservations are Friday to Friday the restaurant choices changed since we had discussed online with Cynthia. No worries, we booked our dinners when we checked in. There were only 2 restaurants open an evening. First of all -The Magic Show. We did not eat there. We went to the Mayan Show on our last trip. I really liked the Mayan Show but then again I like dancing and they were really good professional dancers. The theatre is hot and takes some time to warm up. The Magic Show was lame! They did include the audience so maybe those folks liked it. We had to keep from falling asleep. It was actually funny-we were laughing as it was so lame. But that's just my opinion.
Day 1: Las Ventanas: We had a late dinner. That was what was available so we made sure to have appetizers before 6pm at The Deck. We had the tasting menu. Most things were good with smaller portions. We were “allowed” 1 change to each category on the tasting menu. I thought that was interesting as we could have what we wanted. We switched up one entrée and 1 desert.
What we enjoyed the most from dinner was: Portobello Linguini and Shrimp appetizer, Sea Scallops in Chocolate-Mole Marinated, Coconut Sauce and Pear Glaze, New York Steak with Grilled Bell Peppers and for desert- Apple Tart and Chocolate Roll
Day 2: The Chefs Table Dinner was incredible! The Chef planned a 12 course meal which was delicious! We had 2 servers which one included the dining room manager. We were waited on hand and foot. The Chef was also very nice and enjoyable to talk to and explained his dishes and why he chose each dish. One was frozen clamata juice, beer foam, and peanut crusted oysters. Sounds strange but really worked. One appetizer was chocolate covered foi gras (which I never had before) and tasted like a peanut butter cup but so much better! Everything was presented wonderfully and tasted great.
Day 3: Azias. We ate in the Tatimi room. The best things for dinner were the spicy tuna roll and what ever their eggroll is called. They ran out of the Beef Tenderloin. The dinner was very good and they brought seconds of what we loved. I would go to this restaurant twice if I had the time and eat at the Hibachi Grill also it smelled great. Wish the restaurant was open more days because you can go to the sushi bar whenever you want to at dinner time in addition to your dinner meal.
Day 4: Palazzos: The Caesar salad is very good and also the Carbonarra is good but that night the chef had the pasta noodles sticking together. I had the beef tenderloin very good and the tiramisu was also very good. We sat on the patio-great view.
High Tea: Don't miss this! Between 4-6pm up near reception. We sat in the open area for the breeze. They make the BEST mayan coffee!
I drank dirty monkeys and frozen white Russians with extra kahula. We had a beach bed each day and there were open beds until 10am. Plenty of loungers by the pool. The deck was good for lunch. Didn’t really care for Spices for lunch and breakfast was so so. I realized how much more I enjoyed the Mexican food in Mazatlan where my mom has a time share and decided next trip we’ll go there even though it is a much longer flight. We went into town only for souvenir shopping.
Room service was excellent-ordered nachos and desert one night.
I would highly recommend this resort for those who love great service like the Ritz, want to have a laid back vacation, and who love good food and service!

Internet worked well in my room, around the pool, and beach beds. It did not work near reception or in the restaurants. I turned my IPhone to internet only. People were using their IPads at the pool. You can also use the internet in the business center.

I hope I haven't missed anything feel free to send a message on trip advisor and I'd be happy to answer any questions.

8  Thank wincha

Dear Wincha,

Reviewed June 8, 2011

Having read the previous reviews I'm not sure we all stayed at the same resort, but for our part the RH lived-up to expectations! As honeymooners we had high hopes, particularly since we'd read many of the glowing reports on TripAdvisor before we booked, so it was a pleasure (and a relief) not to be disappointed!!

Basically, we agree wholeheartedly with all the positive comments made regarding the accommodation, grounds, beach, facilities and service (so will avoid repeating). We do wish to emphasise though that the waiters/staff are friendly and attentive doing everything in their power to make your stay as comfortable and relaxing as possible. We were particularly impressed by the quality of the 'pool food' supplied by the 'Deck' and the range and seemingly endless supply of cocktails that came our way whilst lounging by (and in) the pool. Perhaps the Deck bar could have remained opened longer (past 6pm), but we generally took this as our cue to take a final dip in the pool/sea, get cleaned-up back in the room and then head-over to the Allegria or Piano bar for drinks before our evening meal.

Kayaking is free and snorkelling is just $33 USD for approx. 1 hour in the water at a reef 15min (boat ride) from the RH. You have to wear life-jackets so diving isn't really possible, or necessary, since the fish come to you! We didn't bother with any of the other extras, but for those interested: Dinner on the beach is $300 USD and an hour's massage will set you back approx $120 USD. There's also a $4500 USD bottle of wine if you fancy it.

The only 'wrinkle' during our 7 day stay was the drama surrounding a cabana bed. With only 8 in total you'll find them in demand, so it's quite frustrating to see them monopolised by some guests (a minority) who think it's reasonable to claim one (with a bag or towel) and then disappear for an hour or two. Unfortunately the staff are reluctant to enforce the 20min vacancy rule (clearly displayed via a notice on each bed, 'use it or lose it'), so having watched a bed remain idle for just over an hour we decided to remove said bag and actually make use of it. A full 30min after that the 'owners' returned from their extended-lunch, explaining at some length and with raised voices their displeasure at having been evicted, adding some carefully chosen swear-words before taking their grievance to one of the staff, who dutifully found them a newly vacated cabana, which they then declined. Worth the agro? Probably not, but perhaps those unpleasant people will reflect on their behaviour and will in future play fair and share?? Come on people, we're on vacation!

A minor niggle in what was an otherwise flawless stay, to which we are extremely grateful to the Royal Hideaway and it's staff. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank top_travellers_117

Dear Top Travellers,

Reviewed June 6, 2011

I recently stayed at The Royal Hideaway and although the employees of the hotel are sweet and kind, the Hotel management has no authority when they're faced with problem and challenges as we had. Management is a European based company servicing mostly American tourists, which is a joke. Upper management has cut cost on all areas of this Hotel, Night Entertainment, Day Entertainment as well as restaurant options. Not all restaurants are open at all time. your choices are limited for the price they charge. I have had much better service in Mexico. Their competitions were much busier then them on a long weekend for lower price; this Hotel is like a retirement home, boring. If you are planing to stay in the room most of the time, then the rooms are great. I was sad for the money we paid. I went there trying to plan my wedding, but I was over it. The beach in front of this property is amazing. My comments does not reflect on the hard working hotel employees, but towards the main upper management. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank mshahrokhi

Dear Mshahrokhi,

It is with regret however that some aspects of our hotel did not meet your expectations; We are working with all the staff to give you the best service. Your comments have been taken on board and will help to improve our service and quality of them for all our guests.