“Dream Wedding”

Royal Hideaway Playacar
Ranked #32 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 30, 2011

We just returned from our wedding at the Royal Hideaway. It was an absolute dream come true. The resort and staff made everything perfect, and we could not have had a better wedding or honeymoon week.

The resort is impeccable, service incredible and the whole experience completely luxurious.

A few notes that may be helpful to others traveling to or considering this resort:

- Rooms: We loved our room (2337) and would highly recommend upgrading to an Ocean View room. We looked over the top of the building in front of us to a great view of the ocean and lights of Cozumel. With all the palm trees, the room was totally private. Building 23 is great and comes with the bonus of Patricia -- a super sweet and helpful concierge. Patricia made sure our wedding clothes were pressed, scheduled our dinners and excursions, confirmed our departure transportation, and even made sure the bellhop was there at 7 a.m. for our luggage.

- Food: We are total foodies, and I'm a former food editor. We thought the food was fantastic. I know others here have had negative things to say about Spices, but we absolutely loved it -- breakfast, lunch and dinner. Spices head waiter Jeovansky gave us the most amazing dining experience, suggesting dishes to share and bringing us a special sampling dessert (a little of all the offerings). Loved the tasting menu at Vantanas and the melt-in-your mouth sushi at Azia. At lunch, go for cerviche on the Deck or fish tacos at Spices. Also fun: We always asked the waiter for the drink special or whatever they could suggest. We ended up with a dozen new mixed drink favorites.

- Wedding: Talk about taking the stress out of a wedding! Miriam the wedding coordinator was fantastic. She made the process super easy, took care of securing a fantastic minister (who could not have performed a more perfect ceremony if he had known us all our lives), a hair dresser and a great photographer, as well as getting the beach site set up. All we had to do was to pick a bouquet/boutonniere and say what we wanted for dinner. With so little to worry about, we were able to totally focus on each other and our special day.

- Not to miss:
Go to the spa -- massages are to die for!
Consider springing for a romantic dinner on the beach. It's worth every penny. The two of you, your own staff, candles, torches, rose petals. The beach is deserted at night, so a completely romantic experience.
Honeymooners are offered breakfast in bed. Get it! It's not a cart rolled into your room; you are truly served breakfast in bed!

Final tip:
- Secure a private transfer from the airport to the hotel. Completely worth it.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
5  Thank WzQ

Reviewed March 27, 2011

My husband and I honeymooned here and had an absolutely exquisite time. It was romantic and luxurious. It was just sheer bliss!

We thought it would be smart to do an all-inclusive for the first time in our lives just so that we could put our wallets away and not have to think about money on our honeymoon, but we were very nervous that we wouldn't like the food. After finding out they have a chef with a Michelin star and talking to a friend who had stayed there, we were sold. We needn't have worried, as we were blown away.

We've returned to Playa del Carmen once since our honeymoon and didn't stay here because we brought a large group that were looking for more of a party scene. Let me tell you, I missed RH the entire time!

I can't wait to go back. Would also be a really fun place to go with another couple or two.

Oh, and we loved it so much we had to practically drag ourselves off the resort to go to Tulum and downtown Playa del Carmen, which admittedly is a mistake because there are a ton of fabulous things to see and do nearby.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank palindroma
Reviewed March 27, 2011

Wow !

Where to start... After a fair amount of research I booked the Royal Hideaway for our week in the sun... We were looking for a top notch resort to relax... Food, beach and peace and quiet were our main criterias.

We were well served in all areas...

Beach : Could not have been any better. While there was never a wait for any chairs, we preferred the beds on the resort, the perfect place to relax and enjoy the sun...

Rooms and Hotel : Cannot say anything wrong about the resort. Rooms are clean, housekeeping on top of everything. Beds very comfortable, small buildings nice and quiet.

Food : Simply amazing... Las Ventanas, Palazzo and Azia are well worth the detour or even late bookings... Great wine cellar ! Both of us have travelled before and have experienced fine dining and we were very pleased... Well above our expectations !

Relaxation : If you are looking for the upbeat, activities resort then this is not the resort for you... But if you are looking for a couples vacation and relaxing time, you have found Heaven...

I strongly recommend this resort, and plan to go again in the future...

5  Thank WineGuy48
Reviewed March 18, 2011

Our first trip to Mexico.
We wanted a resort but not a huge one.
We wanted all inclusive but we don't want buffet!
I like the sea but want the pool too.
My kids are not with us so I did not want a place full of other kids.
In March this matched my requirements.The room and bathroom were very good and towells were often changed twice a day.Great personally controlled air conditioning or a fan. Great flat screen TV. 24 hour room service included.Extensive breakfast, collect yourself but hey its ok at breakfast and they had All Bran and skim milk- amazing! Smoked salmon. Eggs all cooked to order, great selection of breads cheeses, champagne. All first class. If I wanted to find a complaint, perhps they were a little short staffe so though there were empty tables, there may have been a wait for breakfast at peak times- but never more than 5 minutes or so.
Lovely comfortable beds by the sea and pools. Waiters bringing your drinks, and somtimes even remembering your last to see if you want another. If the beach restaruant is full, order the food and have it bought to you so you can stay by the pool.
You need to book the evening restaurants. They are a la carte and can only cope with so many at one time, but you have a personal consierge who sorts this for you and we managed to change times mostly as we wished. Not every restauarnant was for me but Azia, with the chef performing in front of us was amazing. The Chilean wines served included were great and what i would order here in the UK as good house wine.
Not much to do in the evening though town is 20 min walk away if you want to go out.
I managed to take over hte karaoke! By this time I couldnt drink any more!

Half way through our stay the hotel had a huge influx of a large group, so big they had overbooked the hotel and some residents were gererously rewarded for changing resorts. I was expecting disaster but this group was completely catered for by the hotel and did not affect my stay in any way. They had ther own meals and their own parties. Nearly all from Canada and a delightful group. Congratulations to the hotel and the group organisers. I don't know many places who would have managed it like this resort did. I can see why this is so popular with Americans, who can go for a short
( intoxicating) trip. For me , 8 nights was long enough or I may have gone pop. its a long way to travel for the Brits, if you want a two week holiday combine it with something else, but if you do save the best, here , till last

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank ABCFinchley
Reviewed March 18, 2011

We are total foodies and the food is very important to us on vacation. We kept saying, "this doesn't FEEL like an all-inclusive!". The 8 course tasting menu at Ventannas was incredible! The staff, rooms and facilities were amazing. The beds were very comfortable and all the rooms were Suites. I love that each little set of Suites had their own Concierge. We did the XPLOR park (ziplining) and Coco Bongo to off-set the rest and quietness at the hotel and it was a perfect combination. The concierge helped set everything up!

Not sure it's worth the $150 per person to do the Chef's Table when the 8 course tasting menu was included. We didn't do it so I can't say for sure.

Thanks for an amazing trip!

3  Thank RestedMarissa
Reviewed March 17, 2011

I am not overly impressed with this resort. I arrived there on March 07 2011 with my wife for our anniversary. Upon arriving I noticed a number of tires in the resort entrance. I t turned out that there was a Michelin convention at the resort this week. I was under the impression that this was a couples resort, a romantic getaway of sorts. We were inconvenienced at meal times during the day, because the convention participants were released for lunch all at the same time and rushed to the restaurants. we experienced lengthy waits to eat, sometimes up to 45 mins.
Upon arriving to our room our luggage was there as promised as was our concierge Jose. Jose is about the worst concierge I have met. Jose booked all our dinner reservations with another couple even though I had told him not to and tried to change it. Jose stated that my wife had requested this, I asked my wife right in front of Jose and she said "No" So I offered Jose a tip to get the reservations changed, he said I will call you in your room. Jose immediately packed is things up for the day and left.
The rooms are well appointed however the shower in our room was unusable and we spent two days without a shower and the equal amount of nights with the plumber in our room trying to fix the shower. The next day i went to the front desk to change rooms and was told that was not an option. I proceeded to the gym where i worked out for an hour on the Stairmaster and then went back to the front Lobby. I told the concierge that I needed a shower and to provide me a place to do so as the shower in my room didnt work. He was then able to provide me a room with a nice garden view. We moved our things promptly and were much happier there then in building 30 overlooking the maintenance walkway.
The food in this resort is OK, the presentation is great however overall quality is lacking. The Mexican restaurant is to be avoided at all costs, as the food here is horrible, and I witnessed several people leaving in the middle of dinner as we did.
On a brighter note the beach food is awesome, and Reyes the beach waiter is second to none and RHP could use this resource to train other staff.
I have stayed at Secrets Capri and The Royal in Play del Carmen, and found these resorts to be of Higher Quality in all Categories.

1  Thank doug12
Reviewed March 10, 2011

This was our 12th visit to Royal Hideaway since 1999. Periodically we think there must be a better deal somewhere else on the Mayan Riviera. We've tried six other five star resorts. This is still, by far, our favorite! Why? Food, facility, beach and, most importantly, service. The food and drink at Royal Hideaway have always been superb. It is hard to believe it got better but with their new executive chef it did. The facility is small (200 rooms) with a quiet adults only atmosphere. We prefer this type resort. It has all the customary conveniences in the rooms. Plus they have updated their technology with wi-fi in the rooms and 37" flat screen TVs. The beach was expanded two years ago a rebuild from hurricane Wilma. It is now the best beach anywhere to be found (see photo). Service remains Royal Hideaway's major selling point. The bellman welcomed us at the front by name. "Good to have you back", he said. This is typical of all the staff positions from lowest to the top. They make you feel welcome and they care about the quality of your stay. Not to say all is perfect but they continually try to improve. There were a couple of minor hiccups. Nothing serious and they recovered nicely from all of them. With new staff and fluctuating numbers of guests there is a constant management challenge. They continue to be up to the task. We would go back anytime. This is still our favorite resort!

2  Thank sweetolebill