“A great discovery in Playa” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Club Yebo

Club Yebo
Kansas City, Missouri
“A great discovery in Playa”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

Today is my last day in Playa and I am ready to plan my next trip here! Club Yebo is tucked behind the dive shop on 1st Avenue but not as hard to find as people describe. There is a giant blue scuba man right outside the hotel (for the dive shop).
We had the 2 bedroom on the ground floor. Very big. One room with a Queen bed the other with 2 queen beds. Full kitchen, living room and nice bath. I loved the ceiling fans and a/c in each room which made sleeping very comfortable.
One block from the beach and also 5th Avenue (opt to eat dinner off of 5th Avenue for better food and atmosphere).

The office staff was very helpful. Housekeeping did an incredible job. The Manager even stopped me to make sure everything was okay. A great find in Playa!
Sad to leave tomorrow and go back to snow:(

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

Smack dab in the middle of the humming bar district of Playa del Carmen, lies this little hotel, quietly hidden behind the dive shop, where when you leave the road and walk down the stone path the temperature drops 10 degrees and you breathe a sigh of relief both because the air is cooler but also the surrounding noise is diminished!
What a great stay! first few nights we had a room in the front area near the office, they were replacing the tiles and stone so the work men were starting at 7:30 and finishing at 7pm....long day for them and for us as they use a hammer to remove stone and do the repairs... 12 hours of hammering! staff were terrific....I had serious bites (over 50) even on my face...hadn't been to the beach yet and these bites were like nothing I'd had before, they rapidly changed the mattress on the bed, although in hind sight don't think it WAS the mattress, suspect it was from a place we'd stayed the previous night. Anyway, they DID quickly change it and it made me very happy. After a couple of nights, we spoke with another guest who was leaving and had a lovely room facing the pool (Garden room) bed was comfy pillow top kind, small kitchenette with a BLENDER! awesome for home made margaritas! we loved this room, it was brighter and newer more finished than the previous one. We had to do a late check out as my dentist had to redo something for me, and it didn't seem to bother them in the least, the housekeeper was perhaps a little anxious, but we figured as we'd only used her about 3 days out of 7 she would survive... we floated around in the pool and whiled away the afternoon... left around 4pm . I would definitely recommend this place. HOWEVER, if you're looking for a nice beach, this ain't the place! the beach, which IS 1/2 block from the hotel is interesting...there are a few bars with loungers (one you can buy a ticket for $1 from Club Yebo and have use of lounger, bathroom etc) but the music was blasting and after an afternoon, I was done. Also the fishermen park their boats on this bit of beach....so swimming in the sea is out of the question unless you want to get wound up in the ropes or propellers...we didn't. You can walk to more beautiful beaches, but it's a good 15-1/2 hour walk either direction....Club Yebo provides great beach chairs, the kind with nap sack straps, so it's doable....also they provide a personal size cooler (cool box) slightly bigger than a 6pack size, very handy for lunches on the beach)

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool, any level will do
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Tewkesbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

Needing to stay in Playa for a few months, I wanted to book somewhere initially for two weeks before I looked around at the local options. I wasn’t after cheap and nasty, or expensive, but a reasonable place for a low cost. Club Yebo was recommended on a number of forums and the reviews looked fine.

Booked the Studio Deluxe through the easy-to-use website at a cost of just over $600 USD for two weeks. There didn’t seem to be many <$50 dollar a night hotels available, so this seemed a good deal.

Upon arrival, the taxi driver did not know where CY was; neither did the next 3 drivers he asked! I attempted to communicate either Phantom Divers or Playa Palms but this also seemed to get confused looks. Eventually a driver was found who seemed to know where to go. Upon arrival, there was a security guard (who later would always say hello in the evenings) outside the very easy-to-miss entrance. He looked at my confirmation and said I needed to follow him. He placed my luggage inside the courtyard whilst we walked for a minute or so to the Playa Palms reception. The guy in the Palms reception spoke more English and was helpful. He came across, showed me the room, and helped with one of my heavy suitcases.

Inside the roomed seemed fine, decorated in a Mexican rustic style. I had room LaDonna which was only one of two roomed accessed up some stairs and across a bridge, giving it a semi-private feel. However this also meant it was directly above the dive shop, and sure enough between 7-8am (and also later around 3pm) the loud sound of clanking dive tanks and much noise could be heard. This was fine for most days when I would leave early, but not so great for those who wished to sleep in.

The room had a beach lounger and cooler box for sitting on the beach, but I didn’t use this. It also had a microwave, sink, toaster, coffee maker, electric two-stove top, cups, cutlery and glasses. Oh and a noisy fridge! I liked the bottled water dispenser, and while it was just myself, the extra bed inside the room meant a good place to store my suitcase.

The next morning I tried to communicate to the CY staff in the office below I needed a lock or something for the safe, but didn’t speak much English, and I didn’t speak much Spanish. They pointed me in the direction of the Playa Palms reception. The same guy as the previous night provided me with a lock to the safe. Not really what the CY office people do then?!

The same person cleaned the room each day, who was always very friendly. I actually didn’t really need the room cleaned each day, and even when I didn’t put the “clean the room” sign displayed on the inside of the sliding door, she still cleaned it anyway :) Oh and everyday she left different designs with the bath robes…

Never tried the food offerings in the courtyard, didn’t see any menus or whatever, so never actually knew what this area was for, until I read the previous review. The hotel appeared to be very quiet and only saw a few people during my whole stay.

The location was good, close to the beach (if that is your thing) and just minutes around the corner from 5th avenue and its shops, bars and restaurants. There does seem to be construction going on behind the property, so some chain saws and noise etc during the day. The small bar at the entrance to the hotel also appears to create a lot of noise in the evening, and occasionally there appears to be loud music and bass coming from whatever is in front on 5th.

Wifi speed in the rooms is good, however I agree with the previous reviewer in that the connection does drop out every now and then. Sometimes it can only 5 minutes, other times 30 minutes. A little annoying but then it reconnects within 15 seconds or so.

The lighting in my room was very rustic, in that you had an old-style miners lamp hung high in a corner of the room and bathroom. This was fine, but the ambient light meant it was difficult for more detail tasks like shaving. Due to the location of the room it also meant the Palapa style roof (although note not the actual roof of the room) over-hanged, thus making the rooms quite dark without lights on, even in the afternoon.

So in summary, a decent enough place for the money, very clean and decent enough facilities. A/C works fine, fan is good, and always hot water available. I would recommend it for the price, and location, but bearing in mind the above points. For longer-term stays, there are better options however.

Room Tip: Perhaps the rooms around the pool avoid the dive shop noise.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank whiten0ise
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

We've stayed at Club Yebo several times years past for a month or more at a time so we thought we'd stay again. Yebo has a great location but just like last visit, the sound of jack hammers on concrete and chain saws woke us up several mornings. In addition, the hotel is located next to a dive shop so you'll be awakened by the sound of dive tanks banging. Yebo now won't let you use their beach area at the mother ship, the Playa Palms Hotel, like they did in years past. We pleaded and they relented, "but just this once" they said, even though the occupancy rate was low. The WIFI doesn't work well, I suspect a bad router. It shuts off every few minutes for a minute or two. They have food service in the little courtyard but prices are stiff. If we stay again it will be pool side where it's probably quiet. Our friend stayed downstairs and complained about bugs crawling in the room and the noise from a loud party that kept her awake all night. I notified the Yebo manager half-way through our stay that our room's portable electric burner had an electrical short and she said a replacement would be sent to the room ASAP. Another day passed and no replacement. When we brought it up again then the staff complained that we should have reminded them more often… implying that it was our fault. No replacement ever showed up. Another issue is that guests at Yebo have to go back and forth to the mother ship hotel to get anything done. It’s only a couple blocks away but it’s a hassle. Even getting your clean laundry back requires a walk to the other hotel. They should have brought it to our room. On the bright side, the grounds are tropical and cozy, hot water flows, and the air-conditioners work well. The beds are nice, as is the housekeeping staff. We’ll be back. Overall, Club Yebo is a rudimentary hotel for a stay in Playa del Carmen on the cheap.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank shmiller
Ambergris Caye, Belize
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

As many of the reviews on this property, I too was very satisfied with my choice in Playa del Carmen. We booked 2 nights and paid around $50.00 per night and it was well worth every penny. Located just a block away from the 5th avenue where most activities takes place in Playa and one block to the beautiful white sand beach. We had one of their studio units which was all we needed, A mini fridge, Microwave, toaster, electric burners, pots and everything you needed to make stay very comfortable.
The pool was beautiful with the exception of a couple chipped tiles which should be replaced ASAP.
The hotel was hard to find and the Cab drivers at the ADO terminal had not heard of it but just follow the instructions given and stop off at Phantom Dive shop and if you look carefully, you will see the little sign near a potted plant. There was no one at the front desk when we arrived so we had to go over to Playa Palms to check in and someone came over to show us to our room (the gentleman at Playa Palms Front Desk appeared to be having a bad day and took his own sweet time before attending to us) once this was done, it was all good.

Room Tip: Pay the few extra dollars and stay in one of the studios, they are well worth it.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank LatinoKing
Quincy, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

I'm scared to write my review for this hotel because I don't want too many people booking this place and it may never be available for me in the future. But I have to rave about this great little hotel...

When I think of a hotel that I only pay about $50/night for.. I think of a bug infested motel.. this place is NOT that. This a warm and sweet little hotel, one street away from one of the most beautiful beaches I've been to.

My husband and I were looking for a hotel in Playa del Carmen just to stay for a few days before we headed to a resort we booked later in the week. We didn't want to spend too much money but we also wanted to be close to the beach and 5th avenue. After a few suggestions from other reviewers we were told about Club Yebo. Boy were were satisfied!!! This hotel was exactly what were looking for.

Located on 1st Avenue between 12th and 14th street.. you're in the middle of it all. 5th avenue is right behind us and the beach right in front of us. This is one of the best located hotels that I could've asked for. You have great restaurants and bars on the same street and the hotel has a deal with Amaranto Bistro (up 14th street towards the water) where you can rent beach chairs on the beach for $1.

We ate at Imprevist and Amaranto for breakfast. Imprevist is only a few doors down and it was one of the best breakfasts' we had all vacation. There's markets on the same street where you can get cereal, milk, bread for your hotel room if you don't want to go out.

We were so happy with our room selection (Music), great location! Right in front of the pool. I was worried it might be an issue when other people used the pool but we had no problems and everyone who stayed there were very respectful. The rooms were very comfortable and came with burners, microwave, toaster, and fridge.

Although it may not have all the fancy amenities of other hotels... we were very comfortable and it was very clean. The maids here do very well keeping up the grounds and rooms.

Just a little tip: The hotel's sign is a little hard to find if you're not looking carefully. It's located in the bushes on the left of Phantom Divers and you enter through the little alley way. This took us a few minutes to figure out.

I was happy with our decision to stay at Club Yebo and we can't wait to stay again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank EmilyDiaz
Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

We stayed at Club Yebo for 7 nights, the first week in July. What a wonderful time we had. There were four in my party and we had rented 2 rooms. One room was the Palapa (Lupe) and the other the Quadruple (Santo) room. Both rooms were well maintained, air conditioning in good working order and comfortable beds. Our room, the Santo, had a kitchenette with fridge, microwave, dishes, small table and decent sized bathroom. Nice touch adding 2 beach chairs and a cooler to take to the beach. We ate breakfast and lunch each day at the small on-site kitchen. Outdoor seating provided under palapa. Food was Excellent!! Also, the pool area was a nice retreat in the afternoon after returning from the beach. We had the opportunity to attend a wedding at Club Yebo that was carried out near pool area. Beautiful wedding and staff at Club Yebo helped to organize this very pretty wedding. We felt honored to be invited. I would definitely recommend a stay at Club Yebo - all the staff were professional and courteous and went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable. Can't wait visit again !!

Room Tip: Quad room on 3rd level, steps involved. I enjoyed the location and no noise disturbance, but need to...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family