“Second Stay”

Club Yebo
Duvall, Washington
“Second Stay”
Reviewed June 20, 2012

We stayed at Club Yebo for our second time and They were great! They even gave me a birthday cake on my Birthday!! Great location, Great price, Great staff!! We'll be back.

Room Tip: By the pool for sure.
1 Thank jimandsusan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Reviewed June 17, 2012

It was my first time in Mexico so I have nothing to compare it to, but as far as motels go this one was perfect for our get away.

We stayed in one of the Studio apartments which consisted of a double bed with small kitchenette (microwave, bar fridge, glasses/plates and cutlery). It had a water bottle for your convenience, a tv, air condition and of course a washroom. In the washroom was also a safe to store your personal items and cash!!

The maid service was great, they made lovely towel art each time they cleaned. I left them tips each time they came in to clean. I did find that IF you left fruit out or food out there would be ants around the food, but they didn't both me.

We did get the laundry service once as the humidity was HUGE and it was awesome. We dropped it off in the morning and picked it up the next day, all folded and clean.

I found out later we were supposed to fill out a check list of all items for their/our convenience. (oops)

I never felt ONCE like I was in any sort of danger. The motel had a security guard 24/7 and were very friendly. Mexico itself felt very safe and I would definitely go again!! I would go back and stay at Club Yebo too and probably upgrade to the most expensive suite as ours was less then $50 American per night.

4 Thank AngDNWT
Reviewed June 8, 2012

This is gonna be a long one ;) ........

Wow, what a find!!! Club Yebo is surely one of the best hidden gems in Playa...and I hope it stays that way! We stumbled upon it last fall while researching our options for accommodations in Playa. We had previously stayed at Luna Blue (which we absolutely LOVED as well), but this time wanted to try a different place and one that was even cheaper as we were planning two weeks in Mexico (one week in Playa, and the other week shared between Valladolid, Merida and Cancun) and we were on a strict budget. Members on the Playa.info forum recommended Club Yebo and once we started reading the reviews we were sold!

We arrived in Playa mid-afternoon on May 16th after taking the ADO from Cancún airport. Since we had
a few bags, and it was hot, we decided to take a taxi to the hotel, even though it is only a few blocks away (and easily walkable for those so inclined). The taxi driver didn't know where it was at first, but after we gave the address and noted it was next to Phantom Dive Shop he easily located it. I will say the hotel signage is poor -- very small and not at all obvious. You really do have to be looking for it!

The office is located about 20 feet from the street on the right-hand side up a couple steps. Carmen greeted us warmly and check in was a breeze! We were given our keys to the room and safe, beach/pool towels, and coupons/discount cards for various restaurants around town. She even helped bring the bags upstairs to our room!

Our room was 'La Doña', located on the second floor above Phantom Dive Shop. You access it by going up the flight of stairs across from the office on the left-hand side, then across this neat wooden 'bridge' to the only two Studio Deluxe rooms in this part of the building. Both rooms here have a palapa-covered patio with table & chairs and a hammock. Our friends who were travelling with us had the other room, so it was our own private oasis really. The rooms are accessed by a sliding glass patio door, but there are heavy curtains so you have privacy when you want it.

We had the larger of the two rooms, with comfy queen bed and a twin bed located in a nook by the kitchenette. The kitchenette was great, with a small refrigerator, sink, microwave, hot plate, utensils and dishes for two people. We only used the fridge, as we purchased beer and snacks from Mega. There was also a large water cooler on a table nearby. They also provide a folding beach chair and cooler which is handy if you don't want to use the beach clubs and just take our own drinks and snacks to the beach. There is one window in this area, other than the glass sliding doors. The A/C was quiet and always kept the room super cold...a godsend on those hot humid days! There is also a ceiling fan, which we usually found adequate for the nighttime.

We never had any issue with noise coming from the street or the dive shop below. One evening while we were sitting on the patio we could hear some partying across the street, but it wasn't anything too much and we were outside anyways, and a couple of mornings after 7:30 or 8 a.m. we could sometimes hear the clanking of dive tanks, but nothing I would say that was disruptive or loud since this is the time we were getting up. I'm pretty sure we slept through any other noise, if there was any. Definitely found it quieter than any all-inclusive we've stayed at for sure.

The bathroom was spacious as well, with large walk-in shower, toilet, sink, and a bench area with hanging rod for clothes and a safe. There are two small windows that overlook the pool below which have window coverings for privacy.

The maid service is great and the ladies do an awesome job! Make sure you leave a tip. In an effort to be a little more 'environmentally friendly' we asked to only have the bedding changed every other day, and only needed fresh towels and toilet paper. You hang a sign on your door noting if you want a cleaning, or if you prefer not to that day. We kept our passports and cash in the safe, but often other valuables like cameras and laptops were left out and we never had any issue with things being stolen. There is also always a night security guard on duty whom we saw quite often making rounds. We never felt unsafe here at all. They are clearly doing a great job.

Often in the evenings before supper we'd all sit out on the patio/hang in the hammocks and have a few drinks before heading out. The only time I saw any bugs was in the evening, and these were just a few mosquitos or sand flies. I did get one bite, but if you apply a little repellant in the evening you should be fine. There were certainly less bugs here than I've experience in the Dominican Republic or Cuba.

There is a beautiful courtyard in the middle of the buildings with a large tree growing in the middle. In the back of the courtyard there are a few tables where you can get food apparently during lunch -- this is where the workers eat. I hear the food is delicious and cheap, though we didn't get the chance to try as we were on the go so much during the day.

The pool area is accessed by crossing the courtyard and going up a few stairs to the right. We always had the pool to ourselves and found it to be very clean. After a bit of heavy wind, thunder & rain one night we did find a tiny dead frog in the pool, as well as some grass, etc. but it was cleaned promptly. The pool is fairly shallow, never getting more than 5 feet deep, which was great for just floating about. There are about six loungers located around the pool, and an area off to the left with table, chairs & hammock under a palapa. I also noticed an outdoor shower in the corner, though we never used it. My only complaint about the pool area is that if you need to use the bathroom you have to go back to your room, which in some cases (like ours) can be a bit of a hassel...but if you're lucky enough to be in one of the rooms across from the pool you have no problem. Although I would think those rooms may have more noise from swimmers occasionally.

There is a roof-top patio, but we did not find this until our second-last day. It's too bad, because we really would've like to use the BBQ one of the days. The stairs are accessed across the pool on the left-hand side, up about three flights. The patio is huge, with a palapa covered hammock area, table & chairs, and a BBQ. It does get very hot up here, and there isn't much shade really. There also isn't much of a view, other than down at the street (1st), or of the surrounding condos/hotels.

The hotel also seems to have four resident cats (all black, white or grey). These little guys are so cute, and they don't bother the guests at all (never saw them near the rooms) -- I think they're pretty shy, really. They mainly hang out on the other public patio that is accessed from the main courtyard and up a flight of stairs. There are a couple of tables and chairs here, but we never saw anyone use this area other than the cats. They really just laze around all day in whatever shade they can find (usually under one of the tables). I did buy some cat food and treats one evening at Mega to give to them and they came running! I'm not sure if I was allowed to do that, but I'm an animal lover, what can I say? :)

We used the laundry service twice while there. You just drop off your laundry at the office early in the morning, and they try to get it to you by end of day, if not the next morning. Cost is around $2.50US per kg. A large garbage bag full of laundry cost us around $15 US (including tip) -- washed, dried, folded and delivered...no waiting around a laundromat! Make sure you note what items you put in your bag as you will have to fill out a form with each item and quantity. Everything came out smelling fresh and clean.

With regard to the beach club access, Club Yebo has an agreement with Amaranto Beach Club, located at the former Yellow Submarine location, at the end of Calle 14, less than a block from the hotel on the left-hand side. They have a small restaurant with seating inside or out, and loungers on the beach. If you want to use the loungers you go to the Club Yebo office and purchase a day-pass for $1 US -- note: these are only good for the date they are written out for, so just buy them before you head out each day. We had lunch here one day and really enjoyed it! The food is fresh & yummy, and the drinks are cold & strong (especially the margaritas!). Service was great, as well. Amaranto is located next door to Indigo, which is waaaayyyy more expensive. This is a nice stretch of beach, not too crowded, but it is more difficult to swim from here as this is where all the fisherman's cooperative boats are tied up, as well as the rustic pier. It is a great place to get a picture of the pelicans, though. This is also the area where the boyfriends went out for the fishing trip with Captain Ivan. If you want your catch prepared when you get back you can have it done at Amaranto for a small fee which includes sides along with your fish. Unfortunately our guys didn't catch anything that morning, but we still enjoyed our lunch there (ceviche, shrimp tacos, guacamole, quesadillas).

Located right next door at Phantom Dive Shop is an ATM (Direct Cash) outside on the front deck area. It is not a bank-affiliated machine, but in a pinch it's worth knowing it's there. We used it a few times and had no issue (just make sure to cover the numbers when entering your PIN, just in case). I think it takes cards that have Interac, Plus, MasterCard & Maestro (I'm not 100% positive, though). Fees were typical for a foreign country (maybe a couple dollars per transaction). Also next door (but on the other side) is a good restaurant called Aye Chabala (sp?). It's mainly fresh seafood, but they do also have chicken, beef and pork they server told us, though it doesn't show on the menu. We had a great ceviche here, and the owners are the servers so they seem genuinely interested in you enjoying your meal. It seems to be open fairly late too.

After a GREAT week at Club Yebo, time came to leave for the rest of our Yucatan adventure. The check-out was a breeze -- just dropped off the keys and beach/pool towels and given a warm send off with a promise to return.

I cannot say enough good things about this place! For under $50 a night we had first-class service, comfortable clean accommodations and a central location...more than we could've ever asked for! We would definitely consider staying here again and have no problem recommending Club Yebo to anyone on a budget looking for a little oasis in the city!

Leanne & Scott

Room Tip: La Doña is a spacious and quiet room located on the second floor.
11 Thank newfiegirl22
Reviewed May 26, 2012

Quiet little hidden gem hotel. Clean with good service. The nights were quiet. Close to the beach and tucked away from the busy streets.

Hayward
Reviewed April 11, 2012

The last week of March was our 2nd stay at Club Yebo. We stayed in the 2 bedroom Karmelita suite both times. I have to say we LOVE this place!!! They have done some remodeling since the last time we were there, and it's great!!! We had some street noise issues in the master bedroom the 1st time we were there, so my husband made sure to have ear plugs this time. Well - because of the new a/c in the condo --- no ear plugs were needed!!! We never heard any street noise, and it was wonderful! Very restful nights!!! We used the rooftop patio twice, for bbq's, and loved that also! I love the location, as it is so easy to get anywhere in town, and the new beach area that the guests use is great, too! It's just a straight shot down from the condo to Amaranto, where the food & drink service is great. We love the pool also, and used it every day, sometimes several times a day! Since it's a small hotel, all the guests that were there at the same time as us, would visit, and give each other advice on places to eat, shop, tour, etc. It was terrific! The staff is great, too. Our housekeeper did a fantastic job, and the people in the office were so nice, also. If the office was closed, we simply walked over to Playa Palms, and they could help us out! We will definitely stay at Club Yebo again (and we NEVER stay at the same place more than once!!!)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank 680janej55
Boston, MA
Reviewed April 8, 2012

First off last me say I got o Playa alot. I have my go to hotel but it was booked solid for Easter. I tried this out based on a few things and would return but there are a few flaws.

Pros:

Location is great: 2 minutes walking to the beach (one block), down the street from the clubs, one block away from 5th Ave for shopping, and very close to off the main road dining.

Clean: The staff comes in and really cleans the rooms every day

Towels: We had 6 towels, 2 for the beach and 2 for our long hair

Kitchenette: There was a toaster, microwave, small fridge, hotplate, and a blender!!! There is also wine opener, wine glasses...

Beach chairs and medium sized cooler is provided

Very little Noise!!! probably the most important factor.

Air con worked very well

There is a pool, however it looks stagnant and no one was ever in it.

Cons:

The wifi is very spotty. Works one minute and not another. Can be out for large blocks of time. When it does work it is rather strong so skype is possible.

Reception is spotty. It is open only from 9-5, otherwise you need to go down the street. There is no reception on Sundays for some reason at all.

They provide coupons to rent a chair for 1 dollar which should be a plus, however you can not swim where the chairs are due to boats docking there and there is usually a couple meter sand cliff you need to get up and down from. It is at the worse place on the beach for swimming.

The rooftop area does exist but no one would want to spend any time there. There are some chairs in a corner thrown on top of one another. It is dirty and has no view to speak of.

The dining area is used to feed the staff at their bigger hotel so there is alot of traffic mid afternoon.

Overall, for the money it is a decent spot. If wifi is important go elsewhere. It is a very quite nights sleep though which counts alot especially for the location. Also the small kitchenette is a winning factor.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank 07Boston
Massachusetts
Reviewed April 3, 2012

I spent 5 weeks at Club Yebo in January and February 2012. I stayed in a small palapa room. Water, AC, coffepot and a comfortable bed with a safe box. There was a security person on site at night. I only wish I had a refrigerator in the palapa room. The swimming pool is small but nice and you can meet and talk to other guests there.

I cannot say enough good things about Luis and Carmen. They do everything they can to help with any problem or question you may have to make your stay as happy as possible. The staff is great. They work very hard to please their guests. 5th Avenue is 1 block away and the beach is 1 1/2 blocks away, I miss Playa Del carmen and Club Yebo. I cannot wait to return.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo