“Crepes on the menu - crap on my plate.”
Review of Mandarina's Cafe

Mandarina's Cafe
Ranked #957 of 1,266 Restaurants in Playa del Carmen
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Atlanta, Georgia
“Crepes on the menu - crap on my plate.”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We were just walking around and saw that they had crepes. I wish I had kept walking. The dulce de leche must have been made from scratch because otherwise they would not have had big chunks of seized sugar in the sauce. The service was very slow and the price was high. Both of us had different crepes and both had chunks of sugar. I am also sure the crepes were made there. I can not image a mass producer making the rubbery skins we were served. The coffee was good.

• Visited June 2013

Cincinnati
“Not worth it”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Food was just average, if that. Sauces were overcooked. Mussels were mostly closed - they fixed that when asked but please, why serve it to begin with.

Visited May 2013
Vancouver Island, Canada
“Worst restaurant in Playa De Carmen”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We ordered 2 new york steaks and they were so chewy and disgusting we couldn't eat them. The wine at 15$ per glass was OK. No piano player even though we were told there would be one at 7pm. What there was, was solicitors coming by the table on an ongoing basis asking if they could play us a song. The waiter was non existent. It really was the downer of our week away - $150 for an hour of horrible food and service. I'm considering calling visa and disputing the charge since it really feels like we were ripped off.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank Shawn J
Plano
“If we had only known....”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We stopped in a for a drink after walking down 5th Avenue off of our resort. It was night, it looked cute and we sat down. We each ordered one drink. The service was terrible and the wine tasted worse. The bill was $60 for 4 drinks. Ugh. I wish we would have researched where not to go before making this huge mistake. Try one of the dives instead.

• Visited February 2013
3 Thank kjcr1999
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Enjoying experience”
Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

We came just for drinks and ended up ordering a portion of crepes to share. They were delicious. I got quite nervous after I read tripadvisor reviews, but i was glad I still came in. We sat on the patio couches overlooking 5th avenue, then we've got some random street band playIng "bamboleo" for us (they were asking 100 pesos, I paid 200 since they were excellent and they had 5 people playing). The band then stayed and played 3 more songs which was great. After we've got a live pianist playing some smooth jazz music. Perfect while sipping some tea.

The tip thing is true - 15 is included, and you're expected to leave a little extra cash for your waiter. We've left 5 more percent and he looked very grateful. Come on guys, if you're coming to a nice restaurant and you are served well, don't rant over the tips.

One downside to state is the washroom. They have to be upgraded, to not have any dissonance with the rest. It did have water though ;)

1 Thank Denis R