“BEWARE !”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Looks Romantic. But they are so slow with just a few tables. Beware :: The waiter includes the tip & writes thank you over it (so you cannot see that the tip is included). Happened to me twice. I asked him if the tip was included and he said no; but when I pressed him; he said yes. The Print Out Invoice is very light (in ink) so you cannot read it. Just a big rip off all the way around ! Very sad - because the restaurant looks great.

1  Thank 1ICECREAM1
There are newer reviews for Mandarina's Cafe

Reviewed April 14, 2012

My wife and I normally look on Trip Advisor for restaurant tips when we go out. On this occasion we decided to just randomly pick a place that looked good. We fancied some pizza/pasta and Mandarina's Cafe looked great from the outside, it was full of people and the menu seemed ok.

The waiters seem very very busy and are constantly rushing around. This got a little annoying as the tables are so close together i was constantly having to move my chair and got knocked into a few times by the waiting staff - a little annoying when your trying to relax and enjoy your dinner.

We ordered drinks and they came quickly, I asked for a beer which they plonked down in front of me in the bottle - now i dont mind drinking from a bottle, however in a fancy restaurant i would expect to get a nice glass like other people did on other tables i could see. Little things like this just made me feel the waiters want you in and out.

The food was poor in my opinon. I had a pizza, it was bland and clearly not a fresh base or any care put into creating it. My wife had pasta and she really liked the food. So I cant say the food is awful but for what you pay i would expect a better service. We stayed for one more drink after dinner and tried to enjoy the atmosphere of 5th avenue. Like i mentioned before the tables are so close together at one point a waiter, without warning leaned right over our table, intrupting our conversation to take a picture of the table next to us - just stuff you dont expect in a restaurant!

We also found out the toilets had no water - so you couldnt wash your hands or even flush - not nice. Luckily we had finished dinner by then and could leave to go somewhere nicer to have a drink (and wash our hands!)

I can see from other reviews there were a lot of problems with the bill and being over charged. I didnt think this happened to us but to be honest i just wanted to leave so paid and went.

So i learnt not to judge a restaurant purely on appearances from this visit!

2  Thank Simon V
Reviewed April 8, 2012

My family and I were extremely hungry and just wanted a relaxing place we could sit down and have a pizza. I won't bore you with the details, but they tried to over charge me by three glasses of wine when I only had one and they tried to hide the fact by provied a very faint copy of the check then showing me the total under a small flashlight. To top it of, and I realize this is my ignorance, but he claimed the check did not include the tip when I specifically asked him...when in fact it did. I ended up tipping him twice for this terrible experience. I just got home and I see now they have charged both the original check and the revised check. My biggest regret was simply not looking this up on Tripadvisor before I went...it's dead on. They will rob you blind if you eat here.

Reviewed March 9, 2012

As others have stated in their reviews, this is one of the worst restaurants in Playa del Carmen. Overpriced, service was poor, food was lousy, place was dark and it was even difficult to see your food. I got the rib eye, which came with french fries (very greasy) and a small salad (if you want to call it that). My husband and I ordered martinis, which when they came only filled half of the martini glass. I know in Mexico, many folks do not know how to make a good martini so you tell them to put in only a whisper of vermouth. My husband had to go to the bartender and tell him that he did not make them correctly and that there was too much vermouth in them (he put in a shot glass full of vermouth!). Then after arguing with him in spanish about it, the guy said that he was a new bartender and did not know how to make martinis...we should have left at that point. It looks nice as you're walking by, but keep walking, you'll be glad you did.

Reviewed February 28, 2012

Just terrible. Very overpriced. Our waiter had no comprehension of English. They refused to take either Amex or MasterCard from any of the four of us.