“Excellent Choice”
Review of Mosquito Blue Restaurant - CLOSED

Mosquito Blue Restaurant
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Mosquito Blue Restaurant and Lounge has been a trendsetter in Playa del Carmen, unequaled in quality and sophistication for both its menu and design. When it opened in 2003, the restaurant became the first in Playa to offer a chic gourmet dining experience on the popular 5th Avenue, in the heart of Playa del Carmen’s tourism district. A team of Italian chefs transforms ingredients from the Mexican Caribbean kitchen into a delicious Mediterranean Italian culinary experience. Indoor and outdoor seating available. Enjoy a superb collection of Italian wines carefully imported exclusively for Mosquito Restaurants.
Austin, Texas
“Excellent Choice”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

My girlfriend and I were in Playa for our anniversary and wanted to head down 5th for some food. We are foodies to the max, and she is used to fine dining in NYC. We were blown away by this restaurant. The food was amazing - we had lobster gnocchi, salad, and an eggplant dish that was out of this world! The staff was super nice - we had Daniel who was a great waiter. You MUST go try this food. A fancy restaurant amongst a lot of low quality places.

• Visited February 2013

Paulina, Louisiana
“Classy romantic spot”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We were told about this place by the hotel concierge at the El Taj and they were nice enough to call for us and make the reservations. When we arrived we were taken to a nice table for 2 by the outside wall, which is open air, and were seated by a very gracious host. The place is really special with the all white decor and the blue lighting. Immediately our waiter was at our table bringing us sweet warm bread and a wine list. We ordered a bottle of wine which he recommended and placed our food order. We started with appetizers and finished with dessert and would rate the entire dininig experience as 10....8.5 for the food/drinks and awesome respectable service took it to the 10 level. Well worth a visit while in Playa.

• Visited July 2012
Montreal, Canada
“Impressive restaurant with great location”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We had a fantastic dinner at this restaurant during our recent visit. We had always admired the decor and funky design of chairs, but had never eaten here on previous trips to Playa. We are glad we did! I had a blue drink, which was delicious, but I cannot remember what they called it! I've attached a photo of it. I had the shrimp tacos, which I really enjoyed. My husband chose a chicken dinner, and said it was just okay. The menu was extensive enough that he said he'd try something else next time. The service was attentive and just the right speed between courses and we did not feel rushed. Our only negative comment is that there was something at the top of our bill that we noted we had not ordered. When we asked about it, we were told it was service charge (or tip). We felt that was kind of sneaky and it should be shown clearly that there is a tip added. But it would not prevent us from going back.

• Visited February 2013
Charleston
“This restaurant should be in the top 10”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We arrived in the rain but still found a dry table outside. Bread was good & the salad we split was fresh & excellent. The tuna we also split & was plenty for two. Desert was complimentary.
Excellent value.

• Visited January 2013
“Alright if you want to wait two hours for average food...”
Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

We wanted to experience dinner at this chic looking restaurant on the corner of bustling 5th avenue... so walking past we enquired for a table and were told there would be one available in an hour. So we made our reservation and came back at the promised time... "why don't you have a drink at the bar until we have your table ready, it with be no more than 10minutes" we were told... 10 minutes turned into 45mins, we were told the kitchen was too busy, so we could not be seated for another 15minutes... This didn't make any sense to me but nevertheless we waited... 15mins later, no table. I questioned another member of staff who had no clue we were waiting. I then spoke to the manageress who didn't seem to care much about customer service... In fact her words were "Lady can't you see we are busy??" If it weren't for the fact we were starving and it was past 11pm I would not have bothered persisting with trying to get a table. Even when I pointed out to the manageress how long we had been waiting there was no urgency (or apology!). In fact, until I stood in the middle of the restaurant with the rest of our group she refused to look in our direction. We were finally seated at 11.45pm, 1hr and 45minutes after our reservation time. The food was average, nothing special. I ordered the shrimp tacos which didn't have much flavour. The only plus point was the service from our waiter (Hugo), he went out of his way to cheer us up and did as much as he could to make up for our dissatisfaction.
I've heard of Mexican timing... But this was totally ridiculous. I would not recommend this restaurant as the food was pretty average and bland, even if you do get your table on time... very overpriced for the quality.