“Unreliable, rude, unhelpful staff”
Review of Hotel Azul

Hotel Azul
Ranked #198 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed April 16, 2012

We had booked two double rooms at hotel azul, one for my partner and myself and one for the other couple we were traveling with. When we arrived at the hotel we were told that there was a problem with the water supply in one of the the rooms we had booked so we couldn't stay in it. We were told by the hotel staff they would put an additional bed in the one remaining double room and we could stay together in the same room for the duration of our stay. This was of course not a good option after paying for two rooms- we had expected to stay in a double room, not a dormitory!
When we declined this offer we were then told that we could stay in two rooms in another hotel nearby owned by the same hotel chain. This seemed a good option so we left our bags and returned an hour later expecting to be shown to our rooms in the other hotel.
This was not the case, when we returned we were told no other rooms were available and were again asked to share on double between us!
At this point we were understandably more frustrated at what had happened and tried again to negotiate a solution. The staff became rude and unhelpful and did not want to offer an alternative. We were eventually offered one room in another hotel and the room in hotel azul.
No effort was made to contact us about the problem even though we booked the room 4 months in advance.
Despite travelling to mexico to visit the other couple we were unable to stay in the same hotel as them. This was a very stressful start to the holiday. The room in hotel azul was small, dirty and noisy. The hotel is hard to find as you have to walk through a crocodile boot and handbag shop to get to the entrance in order to meet the rudest, most unhelpful staff i have ever met. We were offered no compensation for the trouble. Don't stay in hotel azul.

Room Tip: Don't stay in hotel azul
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank baz1234359

Reviewed April 15, 2012

I booked 2 rooms at the Hotel Azul through an agency and paid up front 3 months before I was due arrive. When I arrived I was told that there was now only one room available for me and that they would put another bed double bed in the same room. This was far from ideal as my partner and myself were travelling with another couple. The women on reception assured me that the hotel was linked to 3 other local hotels and that it wouldn't be a problem finding 2 other rooms in one of their sister hotels at no extra cost to ourselves. We had arrived 3 hours before official check-in time so we headed of to kill some time in the shops and waited to return to find out which hotel we would all be moving to.

When we return we were told (by the same women) that we would not be receiving two alternative rooms in a sister hotel but instead we could all either sleep in the same room or one couple would be put up in a hotel of their choice. The hotel they had in mind was next door to a night club and had vacancies for obvious reasons.

Despite not receiving what we had paid for we received no apology and were told that it was our problem so we could either take what they were offering or leave. The staff were rude, unhelpful and deliberately lied to us when we first arrived.

My partner and myself did end up taking the last room in the Hotel Azul and all the bother was hardly worth it. The room was small and dingy and had little natural light. This is to be expected sometime when booking budget hotels but they had no excuse for not providing a clean room. The bathroom floor was filthy and the bedsheets were also stained. My friends who stayed int he other hotel were kept up until 3am each night by the nightclub.

Hotel Azul is of course one of the cheaper options in Playa del Carmen but how this place survives when there are so many other hotels locally which can only be providing a better level of surface I don't know.

Unless you are prepared to sleep in a dirty room and like rude staff avoid this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms in other hotels would be better.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RS81_12
Reviewed April 3, 2012

This hotel has a great location and the room/common area was clean. It was also quiet at night, which is a huge bonus since it's on the main street. The WiFi was slow, but it worked.

The negatives:

1. There seemed to be a towel shortage every day. There weren't any towels in the room when we arrived, and one day the cleaning service took our hanging towels and did not replace them.

2. There were about 20 mosquitos in our room when we arrived. (Luckily more did not appear after we killed them!)

3. Our "king" size bed was actually two double beds pushed together.

4. There is a lot of confusion with the beach club access. We were told we could use the sister property's beach club (another hotel by Encanto that was on the beach) as well as Wicky's beach club (100 pesos per chair). We didn't have issues with Wicky's, but the security guards at the Encanto beach club kept asking us to leave and did not understand that our hotel was part of the same group. The manager of the Encanto hotel with the beach club understood and let us stay, but it was a hassle to re-explain this to the security guard each day.

Overall, you get what you pay for with this hotel and as long as you go in with low expectations, you will have a great time (as we did)!

Reviewed March 20, 2012

This hotel is in a fantastic location and is very clean. There were people cleaning the hotel all day long, mopping, raking, etc and it showed. The hotel is old and it is not fancy at all but for the price, you could do much worse in Playa del Carmen. All of the rooms on are the first floor which was great for my parents. We had a fridge for snacks and beverages, a decent bed and a fairly large room. There are 2 coffee places within a block and a number of good restaurants. 100% Natural is across the street and has great food if odd service. Babe's is around the corner for excellent Thai food. There is a strange situation with the towels. They really need to be replaced and there seemed to be a shortage. If I return to this hotel I guess I would bring my own towels, not ideal. The ladies who work here are extremely nice. They were professional, friendly and always tried to help us with anything we needed. If you don't need anything fancy, this could be your place.

Room Tip: Room 8 has two beds. One of them was nice and soft which is tough to find in Mexico.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank kingstupka
Reviewed March 9, 2012

Few frills but the staff were nice, the price was right and the location is very central. The towel situation was a bit disappointing, they were a bit shabby and we had none in the room when we first checked in (did eventually get them) and one day one of them wasn't replaced by the cleaning staff. It was hanging in the bathroom, maybe they just missed it. Good basic accommodation with pool and wifi and friendly staff. Not an upscale place and their prices reflect that, but a decent value. You can easily pay more for a worse room in Playa.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Alan C
Reviewed February 22, 2012

Booking with hotel Azul by Encanto has been my luckiest find one of my many vacations that I take each year.
First, the location couldn't have been any better than this, right in the heart of 5th avenue. Close to the bus and ferry terminal, Starbucks, nightlife, shopping and especially the beach. Everything you need is near and here! We took the ADO bus to most of the main attractions such as Chichen Itza, Tulum, and Cancun etc... We dropped our laundry off one block away for $6usd (20libs!) and picked it up in the same day!.
The room is simple, air conditioned, with a safe, free wifi, and VERY helpful and friendly service in English (which is all we needed on vacation)... Our rooms were serviced every day and my favorite was the complimentary bottle of water. I used the rooftop to do my daily exercises as there is no gym but an open quiet area where one could train or do yoga before starting their day. There is also a spa within the hotel with set hours of operation where you can get a special for $50usd for 2 people, 1 hour each.
Well, don't want to bore you with all the other details, but if you are looking for a SIMPLE, affordable location, with friendly service, Hotel Azul is it! All my expectations were satisfied tremendously with this hotel and I would return and I would recommend this place to my parents and friends as well as you who are looking for a similar experience. Hope you enjoy as much as I did.. :-)

Room Tip: Choose a room further towards the back of the hotel, further from 5th ave as it may be quieter.
4  Thank MicahN
Reviewed February 20, 2012

We ventured out to PDC from Cancun and picked this place based on the GREAT location on 5th ave. and the cheap price we found online (you will have to book online as the lady at the desk can not price match)

As for the room and hotel, I would compare it to a Motel 6 or Super 8 quality... maybe a half step down. Room smelled musty, everything was clean enough but definitely run down. The room was a decent size but there were no amenities at all to speak of. My wife was halfway through a shower when we realized there were no towels in the room. The lady at the desk could not help me as the towels were "in the wash" So I had to go haggle for one at the souvenir store down the street. She was, however, able to produce a hair dryer.

Not much else to say. If you don't plan on spending any time at all in your hotel room, this is the room for you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
The Palm at Playa
The Palm at Playa
#22 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
Azul Beach Resort The Fives Playa Del Carmen
Azul Beach Resort The Fives Play...
#59 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya
Azul Beach Resort Riviera Maya
#3 of 27 in Puerto Morelos

Been to Hotel Azul? Share your experiences!