“Excellent diving centre”
Review of Phocea Mexico

Phocea Mexico
More attraction details
Owner description: Come and share our passion... these words perfectly reflect the atmosphere at Phocea : First of all, for us diving means pleasure (the pleasure to discover its underwater treasures), professionalism (we dive with the highest safety standards) and a great atmosphere (being serious doesn´t mean it can´t be fun). Come to discover Mexico, a country with a rich culture, ancient traditions, magic places and friendly people. The Yucatan peninsula enjoys a tropical climate, that allows you to dive all year long, in warm waters, with excellent visibility. The water temperature ranges from 79°F and 84°f in the sea, depending on the season and 75°f all year long in the cenotes.Martine, Didier and their French-Mexican team, welcome you to offer you the best of Phocea.
Reviewed January 5, 2014

One of my favorite diving centres. Didier and Martine are extremely professional and the kindest persons on earth. They always try to find the right solution for our needs. This year I was with my wife and my son and both are beginners. They found for us some easy, but very nice, spots in Playa del Carmen where we can dive all together without any other diver. It was magic. Excellent material and very professional instructors. By the way, don't miss a dive in Cozumel where you can see the splendid toadfish, which is amazing and unique in the world.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

We were used to going to pretty unorganized dive shops, but this was a huge, very professional dive shop, and it is perfect for foreigners, because the instructors are from all of Europe.
We went to awesome dive spots and they took us to cenotes.
The equipment was pretty new and worked very well and it wasn't all that expensive.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

This is a well run dive shop. The staff was great at getting us to dive sites we had not visited before. Everyone is friendly and seem to be truly interested in making sure the guests have a good time. The schedule is much slower than most dive shops. You start at 9:00 and get back about 2:30. The serve a light lunch between dives. There is plenty of fruit, juice and water. The rinse tank is small and you will have to wait. There is a shower but it is not readily evident. You have to ask for the shower. I would use these guys again even if I was staying at a different hotel.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

For an old fat breathless rheumaticky lady the instructors were so kind and helpfull. There is a really good atmosphere at the dive shop, on the boat, in the water. Good briefing, good security, good observation. Thank you Didier and Martine for a great stay, Joanna and Christian.

Reviewed December 6, 2013

My boyfriend (Jonny) and I chose this dive shop as our friend had a friend that works at Phocea. We dove with them near the end of November 2013. I LOVE that they are partners with Seashepard!

Our first dives were in Cozumel. They were pretty awesome! Our last two dives were in Playa Del Carmen in cenotes - amazing as it was my first time diving in them! The dives themselves were great. Lots of fish, amazing coral structures. My fav was Tormentos… I enjoyed going over the sandy hill to the sandy patch and watching turtles munch the grass.

At the Cozumel Phocea, all the gear is brand new… Which was great, but the wetsuits were so tight! They were long wetsuits so I had to change my weights. The DM we had on our first day of diving wasn't exactly the best with figuring out my weights and I had to play with my BCD a bit underwater.

We felt a little intimidated by the fact that we didn't speak French and only a select few French talked to us but it was okay as the DM's cater to who doesn't speak French as well. The one recommendation I would suggest to Phocea is to get the DM's to tell divers (especially in experienced ones) not to touch marine life and to watch out for damaging corals. We sadly saw a few divers step and kick lots of corals.

Thanks Phocea for the wonderful dives