TripAdvisor

from $65.00
from $89.00
from $42.35
More Info
All reviews cooking class produce market fresh tortillas authentic mexican food pozole tacos cilantro rice tips and tricks learn how cancun area tortilleria cactus margaritas alma fresca knowledge novice
Selected filters
Reviewed August 4, 2019

My daughter and I had an awesome day with Alma and her 'team'.
We really enjoyed the experience. She explained the origins of Playa del Carmen, drove us to the local grocery shops and explain plenty of tips and things about local products. She really cared about us, and tried to adapt the recipes to our personal taste. She focused on teaching us things that we could cook back home.
At the end of the day we have the feeling of having spent a lovely day between friends, sharing and exchanging experiences .... and learning a lot about real Mexican food.

Date of experience: July 2019
Reviewed July 31, 2019

Very interesting markettour and a nice, authentic small kitchen where the cooking went on. Inspiring chef (hardworking mom who worked in her fathers kitchen as a child). She has so much knowledge about food, but also the Cancun area and Playa del Carmens history.
Everything nice and relaxed, and she is not afraid of alcohol either ;-)

Date of experience: July 2019
Enrique C, Gerente at Cookin' Playa, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2019

Muchas gracias on behalf of Chef Alma and all the family. We will also be happy to host you in our cooking classes or food tours in in PuertoVallarta, Los Cabos and Ensenada.

Reviewed July 8, 2019

Alma was amazing at sharing wealth of knowledge from buying at local markets to local culture and the cooking itself!
The experience felt like being on a Travel Channel show, minus the cameraman You shop, you cook, you taste and bring back home with you so many memories!
Thank you so much Alma!!

Pooja Chawla

Date of experience: June 2019
Enrique C, Director Comercial at Cookin' Playa, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2019

Reviewed June 14, 2019

Dear Alma, thank you for the great cooking experience.... it was very interesting to learn about the Mexican culutre and cuisine. Thank you also for your kind hospitality today, we enjoyed the time with you a lot... all the best for you and your family! Andrea & Tobias

Date of experience: June 2019
1  Thank Tobias W

Reviewed May 14, 2019

I met Alma for the first time for her taco tour. It was spectacular. The first thing we did was go off the beaten path away from where all the tourists were. She introduced me to so many new exciting foods and drinks, all while exploring the city and explaining its history to me. I tried tripe tacos, which were amazing! I had such a good time with her that I chose to attend her cooking class. She opened her home and her heart to me! I felt like I was spending time with a dear old friend, and since I was a solo traveler in a foreign country this was very important to me. She taught me the secret to homemade guacamole and margaritas from scratch. We cooked mole that day and sides to go with it. We did our shopping locally for the meal and I saw an actual tortilla factory! I tried to recreate the meal from scratch when I came home and could not do it for the price I paid for the class. When I returned home and tell people about my trip, Alma is the first person I mention, before I even talk about Chichen Itza and swimming in cenotes. I was having some health issues and she was patient, concerned and accommodating. Thank you Alma for teaching me so much about Playa Del Carmen. You are an incredible teacher, hostess and new friend. Thank you, Sarah.

Date of experience: April 2019
1  Thank sistersarahvlb
Enrique C, Director of Sales at Cookin' Playa, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2019