“Northern turf & surf trip was awesome! ”
Review of The Snorkel Shop

The Snorkel Shop
More attraction details
Owner description: Snorkeling and Diving tours, Cenote tour and/or Ocean tours. Sea Turtle tours. Pictures included on all of our tours. Equipment provided on all our tours. Great customer service, friendly staff. Reasonable prices. Small Groups, Max.10. We can accommodate larger groups from one booking.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Atlanta
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Northern turf & surf trip was awesome! ”
Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

My friend and I just returned from a trip to the Playa del Carmen area. We did the Northern Surf & Turf tour with The Snorkel Shop and really loved it. No one else signed up to go on the day we went so we ended up getting a private tour. Our guide was Alex and he was awesome. He picked us up right at our resort and was even a few mins early. He was very fun, friendly, informative and energetic. On our snorkeling trip we even saw a baby sea turtle and a sting ray. One of the best parts was an authentic Mexican lunch at a beachside cafe. It was so fresh and delicious but beware of the habanero salsa! Mucho caliente! The cenote was an amazing and beautiful experience too. I loved it! At the end of our trip Alex gave us a CD with over 100 photos he took for us on the trip. This was all included in the cost of the trip. I highly recommend this company & this tour!!

2 Thank misscali72
TheSnorkelShop, Owner at The Snorkel Shop, responded to this review, August 10, 2014
Dear Misscali7, It sounds like you had a great time. I am so pleased to hear this. The reef is full of suprises, such as Turtles and rays. All the fish and the coral is pretty cool too. Alex is a lot of fun and a key part of the success of our tours. Good tip about the Habanero, it takes a little getting use to. :-). I always recomend the cenote for exactly the reason you enjoyed it. It is awsome. Alex, the whole crew and I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others on TA. We hope to see you next time.

Toronto, Canada
“Surf & Turf AND Whale Shark Tour”
Reviewed August 4, 2014

We signed up for the Surf & Turf tour through the snorkel shop. We were picked up at our apartment promptly by Alex and brought to the boat. There were 4 others also on the tour and they made the experience more fun as they were "regulars" and had a lot more experience than us (it was our first time). We arrived and were greeted by the owner who happened to be there, along with Sofia who I believe was the manager and they were really wonderful. Because the ocean was quite calm that day we got to go to an area that was not normally snorkelled and it was wonderful. Lots of different fish, saw a giant eel and the shell of the largest lobster I've ever seen. We also went to a more shallow area which was my favourite as we were so much closer.
After working up an appetite, we were given a hot lunch which was quite the spread and there were a lot of food options (we both had the chicken fajitas and my husband tried his first ceviche which he loved). Over lunch someone mentioned the whale shark tour which we had never even heard about so we got the snorkel shops email and promised to email them that night to sign up!

After lunch, Alex then took us to the cenotes- the others in the group stayed so it was just my husband and I along with Alex. The cenote was absolutely beautiful- and freezing cold- and Alex showed us literally the largest spider that I have ever seen in my life and explained how they are part of the ecosystem of the cenote. We basically just marvelled at the beauty of the place the whole time. Alex was a wonderful guide and it was more like being with a friend than an employee of the Snorkel Shop.

The next tour we took was the whale shark tour. This was one of those things that we will both look back on and which we will never forget. We were picked up by Jony at 620 am and had to make a couple of other stops to pick up other people- we were offered fruit and cereal bars for the drive. It was about an hour or so and on the way Jony described the day, what to expect and also provided anti-nausea pills which all of us took. From other reviews I am glad that we did this as those who do not seem to have a much less enthusiastic review being that they are busy being ill so TAKE THE PILL! It is a long boat ride to and from where the sharks are located and it is not worth jeopardizing the experience, trust me! The boat ride was great and we saw a dolphin on the way out and felt like the captain found the sharks quickly. From there the day is just really fast paced- jump quick, swim as fast as you can toward the shark, get close and then they're gone. We got to jump 5 times and each time was great- both Alix and Jony do their best to ensure every jump is successful. These creatures are amazing and I would highly recommend this to everyone. After we were all done we were given amazing sandwiches and some pop/water and headed over to Isla Mujeres where we did a short snorkel. Then it was back on the boat and we headed to a nice and shallow beach where food was prepared and eaten on a floating table, along with a couple of cold beers. Best way to end the experience! We also saw a second dolphin which was fantastic.

Both tours were absolutely amazing and we highly recommend them. Thank you to everyone involved!

Visited July 2014
TheSnorkelShop, Owner at The Snorkel Shop, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Dear Celine2434,
Absolutly great to meet you both. Yes, Sofia is the tour manager and she enjoyed meeting you both also. The "regulars" really enjoyed your company too. Every now and then the ocean is really calm and we get to go to "Romans reef", it is a little far so the ocean has to be flat in order to get there promptly. However, the whole reef is beautiful as you mentioned on your second snorkel. It was nice to eat lunch with you as I don't get the oppurtunity to eat with our guests often as I am back in Playa usually.
The cenote is beautiful and unusual. it is a freezing 72 degrees, it just seems cold due to the hot air. We like to call it refreshing. :-) .
I am really glad you took the opputunity to see the Whale Sharks. The Biggest Fish in the world!
They congragate here for a few months a year, in the summer, to eat the plankton. ( the are from the shark family but only eat plankton). They grow up to 40ft. (12m). It is a "look back on and never forget experience". Thank you for mentioning the sea sick pills. It is always better to be prepared.
All in all, we are very proud that you enjoyed your two tours with us and we look forward to your return. Thank you so much for writing such a wonderful review and we all hope to see you again in the near future.
Den Bosch
“Great experience”
Reviewed July 31, 2014

I did the Northern Surf and Turf tour. It was really great. We had a fantastic guide, Alex. He was very friendly and took us to the best places. We saw lots of fish. We had a good lunch at the beach and after that we went to a cenote. That was very beautiful. I would recommend this trip to everyone.

Visited July 2014
Dear llon00, Thank you for taking the time to review our tour. Five stars! I am so glad you enjoyed everything. Lots of fish, a good lunch and a beautiful cenote, who could ask for a better day. Alex is doing great and loves what he does. Once again, thank you for your support and we look forward to seeing you again.
Wilmington, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing Day!!”
Reviewed July 29, 2014

On my first excursion with The Snorkel Shop we went to swim with the whale sharks. The day started out with our amazing tour guide. She explained everything with such joy and excitement of the day a head and that continued throughout the day. We had a beautiful boat ride to the whale sharks. This experience was one of the best on my life. The sharks are majestic and amazing! I highly recommend doing this! After the whale sharks we had a snorkel on a nearby reef. We were also given an delicious lunch.

On my second excursion with The Snorkel Shop was to Puerto Morales. Our guide was knowledgeable and very cute. ;) The reef there was beautiful. We saw a ton of coral, fish, and a turtle. After the snorkel (we went to 2 different spots) we had an ocean front lunch. After the snorkel, we went for a dip in a local cenote. My body and soul was fed that day.

1 Thank WhitneyMT
TheSnorkelShop, Owner at The Snorkel Shop, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear Whitney M,
Thank you for your double review. Whale Sharks and the Northern Surf and Turf tours! Busy vacation. I really appreciate you choosing us for your vacation adventures and that you enjoyed them. I hope the rest of your vacation was as successful and we all hope to seee you again.
Once again, thank you for everything.
Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo, Mexico
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A whale of a day!!”
Reviewed July 26, 2014

What an amazing day! My daughter and I went with a group to swim with the whale sharks.
The van picked us up right on time and we were offered fruit, breakfast bars (yum) and water for the trip to Cancun, the guide even offered sea sick pills. When we arrived at the boat dock, there was coffee, and other drinks, coffee cake and sandwiches. The boat and equipment were clean and well taken care of. The captain and two guides did a great job. The boat provided sandwiches, water and soda along with many swims with the magnificent sharks.
When we left the whale sharks, we went for a short snorkel at a reef and then fresh fish ceviche.
Then to a shallow cove on Isla Mujeres for beer and other beverages. A perfect day!

Dear Jill M.
I really enjoy hearing from repeat customers. Thank you once again for your support. I also appreciate that you mentioned the sea sick pills. Every year, people do the whale sharks tour and do not realize it is on the open ocean, at least an hour out. Even on the calmest day, there is motion on the ocean. Please check with your doctor and take proper precautions, before going out.
The Whale Sharks are an amazing sight and I highly recommend them, but if you are sea sick it isn't fun for anyone. Glad to hear you enjoyed it again this year and it was great fun to take you again.
Sincerly Graham