“The other reviews are correct”
Review of The Snorkel Shop

The Snorkel Shop
More attraction details
Owner description: Snorkeling and Diving tours, Cenote tour and/or Ocean tours. Sea Turtle tours. Pictures included on all of our tours. Equipment provided on all our tours. Great customer service, friendly staff. Reasonable prices. Small Groups, Max.10. We can accommodate larger groups from one booking.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Waukesha, WI
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“The other reviews are correct”
Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I went on the Puerto Morales and cenote tour. Tour went great. It wasn't the nicest day as it was lightly raining but that just made it easier to see all the fish. Eddie was fantastic showing us everything we could have wanted to being friendly and personable. The Chaak Fun cenote was amazing. The reef was great. Tour group was only 4 people so that made it better. After being on excursions with more than 20 people before, this was much better. Lunch was better than I expected with some of the best fish I have had. One final positive was the vehicle we were traveling in; it wasn't a bus but a SUV instead. We were much more comfortable in there than a dirty tour bus. The CD of pictures was great too. Most tours charge for these and for them to have been included was very nice

2 Thank Fuzz227
TheSnorkelShop, Owner at The Snorkel Shop, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Fuzz227, Thank you for your review. I am so glad everything was what you expected (except the weather). We do use the SUV for smaller groups, but we only use the 12 passenger Van for larger groups and it is very clean too. We all hope to see you again soon.

Seattle, Washington
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Incredible snorkeling trip!”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

This was one of the most beautiful reefs I have ever visited. I want to personally thank Eddie for doing such a fantastic job. There was a mix of experienced and inexperienced snorkelers on the boat. Eddie did a great job of making sure that everyone was taken care of. He also made sure to keep everyone, including the reef, safe. If we make it back to Cancun next year, we will book another tour and will request Eddie as our guide. The Snorkel Shop is first rate, from the booking to the adventure itself!

Visited February 2013
TheSnorkelShop, Owner at The Snorkel Shop, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Aaron M,
thank you for your review! I agree that is a beautiful reef and I am always amazed to hear how well Eddie handles the diverse levels of our guests. Thank you for taking the time to support us and we look forward to seeing you next year.
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Highlight of our Trip!”
Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

Wow, What a day! My husband and I are not great swimmers but love to snorkel. The reefs of Puerta Morales are beautiful. Eddie took special care of us and our 8 year old daughter. The water was choppy and made for an exhausting day but it was worth it. The attention and small group experience makes this tour company the best for the price. Nice vehicles for transfers, professional gear, and well informed tour guides. Great experience from beginning to end.

Dear kanlo 1881,
Wow! what are nice review. Thank you for pointing out some of the nice things about us. I am really happy you enjoyed your day with us and thank you very much for your review and support.
Lakeville, Minnesota
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fabulous Snorkel Trip!”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This was the best Snorkel Trip because we had only six people and not a bus full. Eddie I must say did a fabulous job and took care of me very well. The Ocean was a little rough that day and he noticed that I was having issues trying to swim because of the current so he grabbed my hand and pulled me along a few times. The CD at the end of the tour was also nice to receive and lunch was also good. A VERY SPECIAL THANK YOU EDDIE! We will be back to see you again in the future.

TheSnorkelShop, Owner at The Snorkel Shop, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear C18lubich,
Great Review. Thank you so much for mention our small groups and for your support. I am so glad you enjoyed our tour and remember: Snorkeling is above diving! We are all looking for ward to your return and once again, thank you.
Lincoln, Nebraska
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Best ever - thanks Snorkel Shop and Eddie!”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I looked around for a few excursion operators and settled on The Snorkeling Shop, in Playa Del Carmen, because it had so many great reviews. I’m here to tell you that the Snorkel Shop, and our guide Eddie in particular, have earned every one of those good reviews.

Our day started at 9:30. Eddie was waiting for us at our resort’s reception area. Almost immediately I liked Eddie. He was genial and talked easily with us about the excursion and the area. We were told it was a slow day and that we’d be the only two people on the excursion.

We arrived at a pick-up point in Puerto Morelos and Eddie went over a few regulations and told us about the reef. After about 20 minutes, we hopped into a small boat and were joined by a family from Argentina and a gentleman from New York. Then we were off to see paradise.

The MesoAmerican Reef is second to only the Great Barrier Reef in length but, at this point, it was about 500 feet offshore. The trip out took 5 minutes during which time Eddie fitted us with fins (we had our own snorkels and masks). After some brief instructions, we were in the water and we were off.

Before we took off, Eddie explained that since we would be snorkeling in a protected national marine park, life vests were required by federal law. Once you start exploring the reef, you’ll know why. In places coral, including fire coral, is just inches below the water. Even in moderate chop, wave surges can easily push you down into the reef.

I realized vests are required not for personal safety (although I’m sure that’s a consideration) but the coral’s protection. With high salinity and bleaching destroying reefs, I’m glad the Mexican government first considers the health of the reef over the selfish needs of some tourists.

I also read complaints on here about Eddie talking Spanish to others on the boat. He did the same during our excursion, but mostly to the boat operators (who I doubt knew English). He also spoke in Spanish to the Argentinian family, but took pains to include us. When you’re in other countries people will talk their language and sometimes they’ll talk about you. If you’re bothered by this, perhaps it’s better to never leave the house let alone the country.

Eddie is a fantastic guide. He’ll point out fish and other sea life and warn you when you’re close to fire coral. On our trip we saw giant formations of coral including brain, cabbage, pencil and elk horn as well as sea anemones and more sea fans than I have ever seen in one place.

We also saw tons of schooling fish as well as grouper, Pompano, barracudas, conch, bar jacks, trumpetfish, sergeant majors, damselfish and others. Eddie pointed out a young lobster, a sea cucumber and even coaxed a moray out of some brain coral. Most of these things I wouldn’t have seen had he not pointed them out.

Our excursion included two stops and lasted almost 2 hours in the water. We had a lunch of ceviche, chips, guac and entrees including local fish and chicken fajitas afterward. Simply delicious. On our way back to the resort, Eddie let us view a slideshow of pictures he took of us and the reef during our excursion. A DVD with all the images was included in the package (you can see some of his work attached).

I have snorkeled for years and have put my face under the waves in Hawaii (Oahu and Maui), Bonaire, Bahamas, Turks & Caicos, Curacao and Aruba. Some of those trips have been good, some bad, but all have shown me beauty I’ll never see above water. Among all of these great experiences, this was one of the best and this slice of reef is the most beautiful I have ever seen (my wife, who dove the Great Barrier Reef, says it’s second only to that).

I’m trying to be thorough in describing this reef, and rebutting some complaints, because when someone works hard to create a wonderful experience, they have earned a loyal friend for life. The Snorkel Shop and Eddie did all they could to see that we had a great time and they hit a home run. I can’t think of one thing we didn’t like and, if you’re laid back and flexible, I know you won’t either. Thanks Snorkel Shop and thanks Eddie!

Visited February 2013
2 Thank TJ K
TheSnorkelShop, Owner at The Snorkel Shop, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear TJK,
I am absolutely amazed by your fantastic review! Thank you so much. The detail and positive comments are well appreciated. The whole team would like to thank you for your support and kind words especially Eddie. I have not snorkeled or dove the Great Barrier Reef, but I do here it is amazing and being second only to it is no small compliment. The reef here is absolutely beautiful.
We also all think of our guest as friends and please let us know if there is anything we can help you with in the future. Thank you once again,