“GREAT BEACH GREAT LOCATION JUST GREAT”
Review of Residences El Faro

Residences El Faro
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Ok el faro exceeded my expectations.

Lets start with all the pro's . The location is just GREAT . It's a block from 5th and steps from the ocean . We stayed in 206 reef from Oct 31st through Nov 4 and the condo it self was very nice. Well stocked with every thing our group needed. Very clean with a good view of the ocean . It was enough space for 4 ladies to dress and feel comfortable .

The problems we had was that there were NO wash towels at all. We requested them the whole visit form the front desk and they kept saying they would bring them but never did. I found this as a inconvenience because we had to pretty much wash up with our hands . I emailed the property manager Marissa and didn't recive a responce. Another problem was the outlets didn't work all the time but wasn't that big of a problem just curled my hair in the kitchen lol.

All an all I loved the condo. It gets a 10 from my group. If your thinking about going on tours wait and book with the front desk, way better price then u find online .

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank 14dec27

Reviewed November 5, 2012

This property has its charm. We stayed in Reef 103 and had almost beachfront, direct access to the main pool. The rooms are spacious and well-equipped. The whole complex is well-kept and feels safe. The beach is amazing! Some of the problems we encountered were: Kitchen smelled a bit foul, especially inside the refrigerator. We also had some A/C problems. And our condo didn't have WiFi.

The property is not a hotel, but an apartment condo complex. All condos are privately and independently owned and operated, so expect different service level in all properties.

Room Tip: Choose one of the ground floor rooms for direct pool access!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank fivetonine
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Just got back from our vacation to Playa and can't say enough good things about El Faro. We rented Reef 104 directly from the owner through VRBO and it was just as described. The condo had everything you could need and more! Kitchen was great and had everything we needed even though we only cooked one meal at the condo. The pool was very nice and used it several times, I think there are some water fountains in it that weren't working while we were there but it doesn't take away from the pool at all. There were always loungers available around the pool and if an umbrella wasn't open all you had to do was ask and they would get you one. We spent most of our time down at the beach and it was amazing! Got up and watched the sunrise several mornings and there are also plenty of chairs down at the beach as well, never full. We enjoyed every minute at El Faro and I would stay here again in a heartbeat! We loved how it was SO close to everything. We woould just take off walking and see where we ended up, found some great places to eat off of 5th this way!

Room Tip: I would book directly with the owner to make sure you get the ammenities you require
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Fayewire34
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Just got back from an all inclusive week at El Faro & I can't believe how great the vaca was. We had room 302 Surf & had an excellent view of the beach & pool area from the balcony & master bedroom. 2 bedroom, 2 1/2 bathrooms. Stainless steel appliances & granite countertops in the kitchen. Daily free beer & pop left in the fridge. The condo was cleaned daily & always had fresh towels. The beach was beautiful. Sand white & soft. Wickey's restaurant was facing the beach so you could dine in A/C or eat outside on the patio. Food was delicious. Every meal was eaten at Wicky's & they went out of their way to make dishes & desserts that were not on the menu. Hats off to one great waiter, Pasquale. All of the staff was amazing & went out of their way to assist us. It is off season now but we liked that as their wasn't a lot of people on the beach. We had a beach chair & umbrella every day. Went in the pool a few times but prefer the warm ocean water. The Encanto condo residences are great. Would love to return.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank sharonafletcher
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We just got back from a 3 week stay in Mexico We renting ElFaro 104 for 1 week. We stayed at a 5 star all-inclusive for a week. We stayed at a 5 star hotel in Cancun for the 3rd week. By far the best experience was our stay at ElFaro 104. All 6 of us felt at home, we felt safe, we felt that we experienced mexico The kitchen is well equipped. The cleaning staff did a wonderful job The location is the best. A short walk to Cozumel ferry. 1 minute walk to 5th Ave. 5 minute walk to the Mega store or Walmart (Mega is better for groceries) There was security making sure non-guests don't disturb you. You don't need a car... everything in Playa is within walking distance. Taxis and buses are real cheap too if you need to get away for excursions. We will definitely be returning and recommend this unit to anyone traveling to Playa. The arrangement for payment, keys etc was all easy to understand and follow. Communicating with the unit owner and property manager was instant and they saw to all our needs and answered all our question.

Thanks Jeff

Room Tip: "always use sunscreen"
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank HenningS
Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

Hi ,
I was in this hotel for 6 night and it was very nice !
First you have to be more then 4 people to take a Vila .
Second it's on the beach and there is a big pool !
It's near everything it's great !
If u don't sleep there u can't go in the hotel , no Geust allow!
The check everything before u go in the Vila , so be carful because u can pay a lot of money if there something missing or damage !
There is a Wi-Fi but its not working very good in the Vila .
The vilas are very different and if u want something special like a big grill of washing machine u need to check it first !

We had a lovely time there !!

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Ltuli
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Hello,

I actually won this trip from a radio station and read the reviews about the Condo/resort and was excited about the place, but I always knew in the back of my mind before I went, this is not going to be like all other all-inclusive resorts.

I was correct, first the pluses weigh out the minuses by far, the condos and property is beautiful, gorgeous beach, just steps from a big warm pool. The Condos are all marble with all you need in a condo for a great week. Steps away from 5th avenue which has all one needs to shop eat or drink.

The staff was awesome, our waiter from day one for our drinks and most of our lunches was Sergio, and he was great, fast to keep your glass full and very happy in a great mood and always smiling. The rest of the staff was good, except for one day, our Friday. It was like a switch of staff and all the good ones are off that day. We sat in the area of the beach for members and we were served 1 drink in 4 hours the other time we got up to go to the bar. The same day the waiter at poolside left the people beside us dishes on the beach with fries and things on them for a good 90 mins. During that time we had ravens and seagulls dive bombing the dishes and stealing the food. The regular security guard who usually works the pool area was not on that day either. This security guard just stood and watched.

Now the all-inclusive thing which we won, the rooms are not at the front of the resort looking out over the ocean or the pool. The rooms are very nice do not get me wrong and very clean. The rooms with views are for the Condo members. We were invited to come and take the tour, to own, the place is very nice, but we had no intention to buying into anything, really we just wanted to go to Xel Ha for free, and taking the 90 min tour did that for us.

At the start of the showing, we told the salesman where are room was and were told, we will look into moving you to an owners suite / ocean view basically, as it was down time of the year. When we did not buy, we got our tickets but never were moved to ocean view, in fact the Manager told us well you guys won this trip and you are not buying, what you expect.

Shows you who they cater too, like I figured from the start, all inclusive just to fill in, as units do not sell well with this economy. Nothing wrong with that if you are not using all inclusive.

The all-inclusive units are dressed down a little, we were in Surf 403, it has a look out on a very small patio to the road, and if you look to your right at the end of the street you can see the ocean. The room had an older couch, the bed only had a sheet and blanket, no comforter, looked tacky, with all the marble in the room.

The satellite system sucks, it was up and down a few times, one time for the whole PM and to the next day. The Wi-Fi only works in Wickys restaurant or in the front lobby, so keep that in mind no surfing in your condo.

I am glad that it was only my wife and I; I think the kids would have been bored on the all-inclusive. The only food available is Wickys restaurant and another small hotel, up the road also 1 restaurant. Wicky's food is great, but the steak and some other menus are not available with the all-inclusive they are extra. The Kids would have never sat and waited for all their meals every day, especially dinner. Dinner is great; it is not formal dress but good dining. But again kids would not sit every night and wait for meals to be cooked. They do not have any activities for kids at the condo either, where as a true all inclusive would have games and dance lessons for the kids and so on. Nothing wrong with that but just consider if you are looking for all-inclusive, with kids.

It is a great location, close to 5th ave which is good in one way; however, the locals drive you crazy. You cannot walk 5 feet on to that strip without, senor, hey sir, need taxi, come in my shop senor. Want to do activities while here just come see this resort. From our hotel to the Senor Frogs at the strips end, 10 min walk, you are asked 25 to 30 times what you want. My wife and I made a habit of buying off shops that did not have someone outside bothering travellers. These are usually the bigger gift shops, their products do the talking for them.

The biggest complaint I had was with the pool, and it has been mentioned in other reviews about this resort. The pool is very beautiful and so are the grounds. The first few days, the pool sparkled, it was warm and clean. On Tue or Wed the filter crapped out and we saw guys in the AM working on it, however they left at around noon and the filter was not working, I knew this as the returns were not circulating water. During the 1st day of the filter being down, you started seeing some white flakes starting to form in the still areas of the pool. The next morning, we again noticed that they working on the filter, so we swam around, but the pool was getting cloudy in areas, and as you waved your foot or hand through that cloudy area it would move and spread over a larger area.
I said to my wife do not put your head under as we did not want to end up with an ear infection or something. Again at noon, the workers, looked like an outside company closed up and went away, I figured they will need a part or something. No return for that day, we went to the room for a while came back down, the pool was not in good shape, no filter running yet, now very cloudy and all these white flakes in the pool. It was People’s skin flakes, as the water was not being filtered and chlorine was not circulating. Friday AM we head down, and guys are working around the pool again, one guy is skimming all the stuff off the top, and the other guy is in the water, we figure good, we will give it some time and go for a swim when they are done. Well the guy in the pool was changing the ring around the lights in the pool, still no filter. We did not go in it was gross, very cloudy, in fact that is why we decided to sit on the beach instead of poolside. We left for home on Saturday AM, and still no Filter, needless to say we did not swim then either. Be careful as I said this is not the only complaint about the pool in trip advisor.

All in all good Vacation, would I return, if I was looking for the condo get away, where I will cook, clean and do the work. Sure great location, as an all-inclusive, no.

Hope this helps for the decision you are going to make. Any questions just ask and I will answer

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple